Ryley Walker To Release Lillywhite Sessions Cover Album - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #121
Cptn. Monkeyman
Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Ryley Walker To Release Lillywhite Sessions Cover Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker721 View Post
Well, I hope I win you over with bartender. I think Dave is great tho. Big fan. Also big fan of sucking a fat one.
Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #122
    JunkBondTrader

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Boy oh boy
    Old 10-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #123
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

who knew there were so many monkey man ballwashers out there? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Discogs
    AndySlash is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #124
    jasonfilatov

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Some real pretentious DMB fans up in here the last few posts. Blow em’ away Ryley. Pumped for your spin on this. This is clearly out of love for the tunes and not a marketing scheme.
    Old 10-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #125
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Pretty sick melts over a cover album from a dude most probably hadn't heard of until a few weeks ago.
    Old 10-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #126
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well, I hope I win you over with bartender. I think Dave is great tho. Big fan. Also big fan of sucking a fat one.
    I'd never heard of you before a few weeks ago, but damn, that's the way to win me over.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #127
    rwalker721

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfilatov View Post
    Some real pretentious DMB fans up in here the last few posts. Blow em’ away Ryley. Pumped for your spin on this. This is clearly out of love for the tunes and not a marketing scheme.
    I just want everyone to be happy. Sorry to those I offended. I’ll take your comments to heart and kill myself. Stand up tho....is sick. Was the one that came out when I was a teenager. I like em all but you know...it’s nostalogc. If I am dead tomorrow it’s because a fan of “monkey man” has murdered me while I was sucking a cock.
    rwalker721 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #128
    JunkBondTrader

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Hahaha

So you thinking new tune on Friday?
    Old 10-17-2018, 07:18 PM   #129
    limbstan

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

It’s cool you like Stand Up and it’s also cool you don’t like Monkey Man (you’re wrong on both counts but whatever). I just think you misunderstand what the Lillywhite Sessions mean. Why didn’t you cover Under the Table? It’s because you knew the significance of this album vs the others, but again I wonder if you have the same appreciation as others do of it.

In fact, I’m going to come out and say it and be very pretentious. You don’t know what it means to older fans. You don’t know what it was to listen to the 2000 tour and anticipate these amazing new songs on an album only to have them be scrapped for Everyday and then saved from the ash heap by some miracle. And then going through all the trouble and intrigue it took to finally have the whole thing. And then to burn it on a CD and print out the cover art (on a color printer!!!) and to put that in the jewel case... Not to mention how just incredible the album is from start to finish... Anyway. A guy who grew up with Stand Up wouldn’t understand. I guess that’s okay.

Maybe I’m wrong. It just rubs me the wrong way. I hope it’s amazing and people love it.

And I don’t want you to kill yourself. I actually kinda dig your music, I just feel protective of the Lillywhite Sessions. They’re very special to me and a lot of others.

Last edited by limbstan; 10-17-2018 at 07:19 PM.
    limbstan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #130
    jasonfilatov

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Any cover album should be thought of a tribute until an artist indicates otherwise. RLM said themselves that Dave is pumped to hear the tunes. These are nobody’s sacred tracks as much as some fans on here might think they belong to a certain era of DMB fan. Anyone who wants to pay homage should be able to. Any opinion otherwise is ridiculous.
    Old 10-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #131
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfilatov View Post
    Any cover album should be thought of a tribute until an artist indicates otherwise. RLM said themselves that Dave is pumped to hear the tunes. These are nobody’s sacred tracks as much as some fans on here might think they belong to a certain era of DMB fan. Anyone who wants to pay homage should be able to. Any opinion otherwise is ridiculous.
    Haha
    Old 10-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #132
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by limbstan View Post
    It’s cool you like Stand Up and it’s also cool you don’t like Monkey Man (you’re wrong on both counts but whatever). I just think you misunderstand what the Lillywhite Sessions mean. Why didn’t you cover Under the Table? It’s because you knew the significance of this album vs the others, but again I wonder if you have the same appreciation as others do of it.

In fact, I’m going to come out and say it and be very pretentious. You don’t know what it means to older fans. You don’t know what it was to listen to the 2000 tour and anticipate these amazing new songs on an album only to have them be scrapped for Everyday and then saved from the ash heap by some miracle. And then going through all the trouble and intrigue it took to finally have the whole thing. And then to burn it on a CD and print out the cover art (on a color printer!!!) and to put that in the jewel case... Not to mention how just incredible the album is from start to finish... Anyway. A guy who grew up with Stand Up wouldn’t understand. I guess that’s okay.

Maybe I’m wrong. It just rubs me the wrong way. I hope it’s amazing and people love it.

And I don’t want you to kill yourself. I actually kinda dig your music, I just feel protective of the Lillywhite Sessions. They’re very special to me and a lot of others.

I experienced all of that, and LWS is, depending on the day, my favorite collection of songs from this band.

I'm failing to connect that to caring if someone covering it had the same life experience with the music as I did. Either I'm going to like the way his takes on the songs sound, or I'm not. If they sound good, I don't really care if he doesn't love the originals as much as I do. That's kind of a weird take, really.
    Old 10-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #133
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    I experienced all of that, and LWS is, depending on the day, my favorite collection of songs from this band.

I'm failing to connect that to caring if someone covering it had the same life experience with the music as I did. Either I'm going to like the way his takes on the songs sound, or I'm not. If they sound good, I don't really care if he doesn't love the originals as much as I do. That's kind of a weird take, really.
    I’m not an old fan, so I didn’t grow up with DMB nor did I experience the Lillywhite Sessions as it happened. (Although I did experience the Batson Sessions leak, and I’m very grateful for that). But the Lillywhite Sessions isn’t an album. It’s unreleased material that is sacred for us. It’s our thing. Like, everyone hates on DMB, but we brotherin have our own little thing. The Lillywhite Sessions is for us. It’s not an album, and I’m glad (though I admit it’s selfish) that the rest of the world has no fucking clue about it. So this guy (no offense Ryley, Primrose is a solid album - and besides, you don’t need my approval. I’m sure plenty of other people eat your music up.) this guy makes a cover album of the Sessions and is putting it out in the world. I don’t know man, it rubbed me the wrong way the second I read about it. I’m not doubting Ryley’s fandom, nor his musical ability. I just think the Lillywhite Sessions is sacred territory. Cover fucking Busted Stuff for god’s sake.
    Old 10-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #134
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

^^ Sorry, I’m a wee bit drunk so sorry if this offended anyone
    Old 10-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #135
    rwalker721

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    I’m not an old fan, so I didn’t grow up with DMB nor did I experience the Lillywhite Sessions as it happened. (Although I did experience the Batson Sessions leak, and I’m very grateful for that). But the Lillywhite Sessions isn’t an album. It’s unreleased material that is sacred for us. It’s our thing. Like, everyone hates on DMB, but we brotherin have our own little thing. The Lillywhite Sessions is for us. It’s not an album, and I’m glad (though I admit it’s selfish) that the rest of the world has no fucking clue about it. So this guy (no offense Ryley, Primrose is a solid album - and besides, you don’t need my approval. I’m sure plenty of other people eat your music up.) this guy makes a cover album of the Sessions and is putting it out in the world. I don’t know man, it rubbed me the wrong way the second I read about it. I’m not doubting Ryley’s fandom, nor his musical ability. I just think the Lillywhite Sessions is sacred territory. Cover fucking Busted Stuff for god’s sake.

We had an absolute blast playing this music. It was so fun. That’s the biggest reason. We are all big Dave fans. Came to it with a lot love.
    rwalker721 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #136
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    I, on the other hand, love that someone loved DMB enough to dive pretty deep into DMB obscurity and do this. I cannot wait to spin this.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #137
    Rnk13

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Not sure why this would rub anyone the wrong way. They’re not saying “we think this collection of songs sucks, so we tried to do it better.” They’re just giving their take on it and paying tribute in the process. I think it’s cool, and it doesn’t necessarily change anything about tLWS as they exist.
    Rnk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2018, 09:40 PM   #138
    Pottsy

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Solid Gold!!! You just won yourself a preorder!
    Pottsy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2018, 01:15 AM   #139
    theGIG15

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Some of these takes are absolutely bonkers...just the fact that he felt compelled to apologize to anyone is ridiculous. He’s not drawing your prophet, he’s making a cover album for fucks sake.

Ryley, glad you dropped in. Really looking forward to hearing your take on the material. It’s super refreshing to see some genuine DMB love coming from the indie rock crowd. It’s pretty sparse aside from some bits from Robin Pecknold and Unknown Mortal Orchestra. Anyone else out there that you know of?
    theGIG15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2018, 04:28 AM   #140
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    There’s something I can’t quite put my finger on about this that I don’t like.

For one thing tLWS are something of hallowed ground for Dave Matthews fans. I would venture to say, especially the older fans - the ones around since the beginning, or at least the ones from back then.

Just look at the “story time” thread that is going on at the moment about it. There are really old school fans in there talking about downloading this thing on Napster and all of the mysterious lore surrounding this album. I can’t really explain how important this album is to so many fans and what it meant to them back in 2000.

What really rubs me the wrong way is a newer, Stand Up-loving fan (to each his own) is going back to an album (that wasn’t ever released) that he has little to no emotional connection to and covering them. It seems very patronizing. It’s like you know the album is important to the fanbase, but you have no clue as to why.

And the Monkey Man thing seems to prove my point. You’re entitled to your opinion, but anybody who holds this album in high regard, anyone who treasures it like a lot of fans who were around at the time treasure it, wouldn’t have that to say about any song on that album.

And so how could this project truly be a labour of love and not some marketing scheme?

Bullshit. I was one of those pulling the album when it was leaked, and cherishing it, and that album and the entire history behind it has meaning to me. But Monkey Man is crap song. It just is.
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2018, 04:32 AM   #141
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Dude, get over yourself. Did you have tears rolling down your cheeks when you wrote that?

Its not like these songs were kept in a vault. Hes basically covering Busted Stuff.
    Youre making this into something a lot bigger than it needs to be. Seriously.
    And youre an asshole if you think anyone that wasnt living the Lillywhite Sessions cant appreciate it.
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2018, 05:45 AM   #142
    DMBlunts

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I just think it's cool that someone in 2018 would go back and make unique covers of an album that never even got released from nearly 20 years ago. Debate the music all you want, we always will, but for the fact I mentioned alone... he's got my approval.
    #22 in 2021.
    DMBlunts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2018, 06:00 AM   #143
    Cobo

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGIG15 View Post
    Some of these takes are absolutely bonkers...just the fact that he felt compelled to apologize to anyone is ridiculous. He’s not drawing your prophet, he’s making a cover album for fucks sake.
    Yup. Lots of "big asses" hiding behind computers. Sad, really.

I'm really glad Ryley is taking a stab at this. I like his style and I'm very interested in his take on these tunes. Whether or not I like them, I'll still appreciate the effort. How can you not?
    Cobo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2018, 06:20 AM   #144
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I just want everyone to be happy. Sorry to those I offended. I’ll take your comments to heart and kill myself. Stand up tho....is sick. Was the one that came out when I was a teenager. I like em all but you know...it’s nostalogc. If I am dead tomorrow it’s because a fan of “monkey man” has murdered me while I was sucking a cock.
    Troll of the decade... bravo
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2018, 07:09 AM   #145
    Cross the ice

My Tour Central Stats

Glad I came back in this thread. I downloaded LWS off of Napster. I printed out the CD booklet with the lyrics that someone created and tried to fold it perfectly so it was like a real CD. I'm preordering this vinyl and looking forward to hearing it. Busted Stuff is great.

One of my favorite albums ever is Van Morrison's Avalon Sunset. I was 5 when that came out, so my emotional connection with its release is tenuous... but it's a great album.
    Cross the ice is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2018, 07:37 AM   #146
    limbstan

Shows Seen: 56

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cobo View Post
    Yup. Lots of "big asses" hiding behind computers. Sad, really.

I'm really glad Ryley is taking a stab at this. I like his style and I'm very interested in his take on these tunes. Whether or not I like them, I'll still appreciate the effort. How can you not?
    I don't care what he does, I just question the rational behind it. You're a Stand Up era fan and you love Stand Up and you decide to cover Dave Matthews Band. Why choose tLWS? Because of its sacredness and obscurity. It just smacks of trying too hard.

They could have covered Stand Up or Everyday or Crash, but they specifically chose tLWS.

Anyway, like I said, go for it. I hope it's great.
    limbstan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #147
    canes101190
    No Worries

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Ryley Walker is fucking awesome and I'm very excited to hear this.
    canes101190 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2018, 08:10 AM   #148
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

I wouldn't say Monkey Man is bad, but I've been saying for years that it's a hot mess on LWS. That's not even a hot take, it's seriously meandering as fuck. It's unfinished, obviously, so that's not even really a harsh criticism of it. If they'd decided to finish it, I'm sure they would have tightened it up.
    Old 10-18-2018, 08:14 AM   #149
    Robio

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I think it’s very cool someone appreciated the Lillywhite Sessions enough to cover in this way, and found Busted Stuff to be a very interesting and creative rendition. Looking forward to hearing the rest. And perhaps this can resurrect interest in the original sessions (one of my dmb top 3) outside the hardcore fan community.
    Robio is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #150
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is incredible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote