Share your unpopular DMB opinions. - Page 158 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-13-2021, 12:43 AM   #4711
Xcacel
Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

Saturday morning Unpopular Thought:

I wish for a future tour that Hamilton De Holanda could be a full time touring member, so that Tim can have a break and do his solo stuff

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #4712
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

This is going to be VERY unpopular.

“The Mid-Run of Hollywood Bowl 2018 is even better than the Mid-Run of Red Rocks ‘95”

(and they have the same artwork style).
    Old 03-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #4713
    karczews41

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    Saturday morning Unpopular Thought:

I wish for a future tour that Hamilton De Holanda could be a full time touring member, so that Tim can have a break and do his solo stuff
    Hellllll yes, after seeing him at the Gorge with them it was such a treat, sorta filled in like a violin, excellent sound.
    karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-13-2021, 08:53 PM   #4714
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

“The Mid-Run of Hollywood Bowl 2018 is even better than the Mid-Run of Red Rocks ‘95”

what?
    Old 03-15-2021, 10:51 AM   #4715
    space_raven
    crawling out the mud

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Here On Out is an amazing song. I absolutely love it. Same with When I'm Weary. Beautiful, amazing song.

2 "slower" newer DMB songs, that I think are just as good, if not better than any slow song in their entire catalog.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
    No that's my bad. I am completely fucking murdered hammered. I can barley see the screen. I go eat now.
    space_raven is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2021, 12:36 PM   #4716
    two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by space_raven View Post
    Here On Out is an amazing song. I absolutely love it. Same with When I'm Weary. Beautiful, amazing song.

2 "slower" newer DMB songs, that I think are just as good, if not better than any slow song in their entire catalog.
    i love both of these as well. i think much of the hate comes because they're buzzkills during shows. but to me that says more about dmb's loss of dynamics since 08 (every song has the tEH eNeRgEzZZ) than the quality of the songs themselves.

looks like the original Lincoln Center version isn't on YT anymore, but it's just a lovely performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duxIj7A4Gs4
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2021, 01:39 PM   #4717
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Here

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=2499361736981331&_rdr
    Old 03-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #4718
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I enjoy the '18 Hollywood Bowl release, mix and all, better than I do LT53. A '98 show. If it weren't for the fact that the CD is rarer, I'd spin it more than I already have. I'm on the qui vive I'd create scratches in it in that process.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2021, 08:13 PM   #4719
    SPAC_Boy

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone here have a good source for 3.7.1999? It sure if there is a SBD, matrix or a really good rape for it
    SPAC_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2021, 07:10 AM   #4720
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

why does Busted Stuff suck so hard
    Old 03-16-2021, 07:32 AM   #4721
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    The song? Or the album?

Either way... It doesn't.

But maybe mine is the unpopular decision?
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2021, 08:11 AM   #4722
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    The song? Or the album?

When I listen to tLWS and Busted Stuff, the vibe I get is the band released Busted Stuff officially out of a "this is bullshit that tLWS is being downloaded as much as it is, we should be getting paid for that!!" stance, and not because aesthetically they had no other choice. It certainly feels that way as Busted Stuff's emotion is nearly scrubbed away.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2021, 09:01 AM   #4723
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

DMB has shifted their sound so much away from the core origins that they are sounding more and more like a generic 80s rock band like Aerosmith. Gone are the days of jams and intricate musical keyschanges, now we get in your face ROCK. My favorite part of DMB was that they sounded like no one else and their songs were so different. It's clear to me that that style of music is long gone and we're in for cheesy rock cover songs and power guitar solos from Tim. God, I hope I'm wrong but...I doubt it.
    Old 03-16-2021, 09:01 AM   #4724
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    When I listen to tLWS and Busted Stuff, the vibe I get is the band released Busted Stuff officially out of a "this is bullshit that tLWS is being downloaded as much as it is, we should be getting paid for that!!" stance, and not because aesthetically they had no other choice. It certainly feels that way as Busted Stuff's emotion is nearly scrubbed away.
    Oh, I couldn't agree more. But I still like it, a lot. It's definitely not a bad album. Just take LWS out of the equation.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2021, 09:34 AM   #4725
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I think the band was just so dissatisfied with everything about Everyday that they wanted to go back to tLWS and finish it. If it were about money, they’d be finishing the Batson Sessions.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2021, 12:48 PM   #4726
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    I think the band was just so dissatisfied with everything about Everyday that they wanted to go back to tLWS and finish it. If it were about money, they’d be finishing the Batson Sessions.
    There's very little money to be made from selling music any longer. The numbers one needs to have to make any real money from streaming are absolutely ridiculous, especially for a band that's biggest days of popularity are more than a decade in the past. Their days of big sales are long gone, so there's little to nothing that they'd gain from finishing the Batson sessions or really releasing any other archival or new music from said sales perspective.

Despite our protestations, the release of new music from DMB is as much about fan service as it is about Dave (& sometimes the band) purging themselves of material. This may in part be to keep tours interesting by offering up new tunes to learn and "sell" to the audience. I'm all for this, with the knowledge that I may not like anything new they offer, but I prefer the risk of hearing how the muse has been affecting artists instead of hearing the same old stuff. Of course, that is still an issue given the rut of core tunes their sets revolve around.

So, there's that...
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #4727
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmb40oz View Post
    DMB has shifted their sound so much away from the core origins that they are sounding more and more like a generic 80s rock band like Aerosmith. Gone are the days of jams and intricate musical keyschanges, now we get in your face ROCK. My favorite part of DMB was that they sounded like no one else and their songs were so different. It's clear to me that that style of music is long gone and we're in for cheesy rock cover songs and power guitar solos from Tim. God, I hope I'm wrong but...I doubt it.

Thank you for this post! Spot on and I 100% agree with everything you say (sadly).

Yes, it’s true - they do sound really tight these days and seem to be happy with each other on stage, but at the end of the day, so what? It’s boring, generic rock cookie-cutter song performances nowadays. And they SHOULD sound tight since sets/song selection doesn’t vary that much. Sounding tight is only one factor that makes a band great live...

It’s like the band knows this too and is just like watev, let’s just have a good time; we’ve been doing this for so long and been through so much, so let’s not take ourselves too seriously anymore. Which is fine I guess, it’s obv their call haha, but it’s just disappointing as a fan when you know the things they’re capable of.
    TheStone91 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2021, 06:59 PM   #4728
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    Thank you for this post! Spot on and I 100% agree with everything you say (sadly).

Yes, it’s true - they do sound really tight these days and seem to be happy with each other on stage, but at the end of the day, so what? It’s boring, generic rock cookie-cutter song performances nowadays. And they SHOULD sound tight since sets/song selection doesn’t vary that much. Sounding tight is only one factor that makes a band great live...

It’s like the band knows this too and is just like watev, let’s just have a good time; we’ve been doing this for so long and been through so much, so let’s not take ourselves too seriously anymore. Which is fine I guess, it’s obv their call haha, but it’s just disappointing as a fan when you know the things they’re capable of.
    Nice to hear my thoughts are validates. If they want to put out crispy clean rock songs, by all means do it. They'll hit #1 and sell out their concerts. Having said that, at least throw the old school fans a bone and release some older b sides and unreleased demos, etc.
    I'll be a fan for life but I miss the older sound.
    Old 03-16-2021, 07:16 PM   #4729
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I know they gave us the video of it early, but the Carter Dave Warehouse is one of the best ones of all time. If they completely surprised us with that as the Warehouse disc without the reaction would have been much better.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #4730
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post

The weird thing is that I think the current band is less than the sum of its parts. Like everyone would agree that Dave solo is great, Dave and Tim are still great, Carter is still a legend. And it seems guys like Stefan and Jeff and Rashawn are widely respected by their peers.

Shows are still a blast, but right now, it doesn't feel like the band hits its full potential in terms of what they're all capable of individually, if that makes sense.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2021, 09:45 AM   #4731
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    The weird thing is that I think the current band is less than the sum of its parts. Like everyone would agree that Dave solo is great, Dave and Tim are still great, Carter is still a legend. And it seems guys like Stefan and Jeff and Rashawn are widely respected by their peers.

Shows are still a blast, but right now, it doesn't feel like the band hits its full potential in terms of what they're all capable of individually, if that makes sense.

It'd be hard for Jeff to reach his full potential while in DMB, he's insanely talented and can play anything but shines the most in jazz music, there's only so many opportunities for him to show those skills within the DMB catalog. It's why he sounds amazing on Space Between, Lover Lay Down, Say Goodbye intro etc. I'd still like to see him get more solo opportunities and much more of a presence on albums.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #4732
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by space_raven View Post

Love here on out. Great new song
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2021, 11:52 AM   #4733
    two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    thanks! for anyone who wants to check it out, dave's intro begins at 43:15 and Here On Out starts at 43:30
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2021, 04:44 PM   #4734
    ERoths711

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I love the studio version of Seven.

"Y'all look like pasta with red sauce on it!" - DM, 5/26/13
    ERoths711 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2021, 08:49 PM   #4735
    Matt83
    #11 (The Quirk)

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmb40oz View Post

2008 had electric guitars, and covers. Ending some shows with a generic ass cover of an outplayed Sly Stone song. But I guess since Roi was there in June, it doesn't count?

The band's tempo during 2010-2016 was just as obnoxiously "rock n roll" as it was at times in '18/'19.
    Matt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2021, 09:21 PM   #4736
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Go back and listen to 2008 shows? Roi makes a huge difference. I like 2010-2013 period though. After 13 they got worse., but 2018 was a breath of fresh air.

Last edited by tyler3440; 03-30-2021 at 09:23 PM.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2021, 09:41 PM   #4737
    Matt83
    #11 (The Quirk)

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

My point still stands, some people clamor for the old sound, yet they seem to reference the post Boyd era as the only timeline that has electric guitar solos and an uptempo sound.

The only difference is the undeniable freshness that June 2008 had compared to the played out sounds and predictable nature of the latter years featuring Butch.
    Matt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2021, 10:21 PM   #4738
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The song? Or the album?

the song

it does
    Old 03-31-2021, 09:33 AM   #4739
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    The song? Or the album?

Quote:
    the song

it does
    The song had potential. "She My Bitch" was just fun and different enough to the standard sound at the time in '00. Had a different perspective and slight changes in the chorus really added to the journey of the song from start to finish, like Digging A Ditch.

When the album came out, the studio version was musically stronger but lacked an engaging vocal performance. All 14 live versions that happened '02 and later were all a disappointment.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com

Last edited by Dodo36; 03-31-2021 at 09:35 AM.
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2021, 09:45 AM   #4740
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    My point still stands, some people clamor for the old sound, yet they seem to reference the post Boyd era as the only timeline that has electric guitar solos and an uptempo sound.

The only difference is the undeniable freshness that June 2008 had compared to the played out sounds and predictable nature of the latter years featuring Butch.
    Butch was the best regularly featured guest. I always looked forward to Butch. "Angel" got a bit long, but that song had problems right out the gate. And most arrangements post-Stand Up was a bit sterile.

Tim was a better sometimes contributor than full time member. He's still an amazing guitarist, but I always felt like he added more to the show when he was an unexpected (by the fans, at least) guest than as a sideman.

Rashawn's role was defined better when Roi was there. There were dynamics and inventiveness afoot.

Jeff was better when he was being Jeff. When he toned it down and started pretty much sticking to "What Would Roi Do?", it got tired and predictable.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote