Only 1 album in 9 years - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-29-2021, 08:39 AM   #31
grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Only 1 album in 9 years

This thread is a hoot.
grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-29-2021, 09:02 AM   #32
    DMBvol41

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I think Bismarck gave fans hope that Dave could still write quality songs. At least it did for me. Then they don't even put it on CT.

The disappointing part is it seems when they go in the studio it's everyone going in one at a time instead of the whole band writing together and throwing ideas around. Of course they did that with BW and I don't even like the album aside from LITHOG.

So who knows. I am still interested in seeing what the lineup can do with Buddy in the studio. Can they create an album that sounds big and bold like bkdkdkdd? Honestly that 30 second song sounds like the Dave Matthews band and I want a whole album that used the WHOLE BAND like that. Or is it another album that sounds like Here On Out, That Girl Is You etc....
    Old 03-29-2021, 10:43 AM   #33
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
    Probably not a popular idea, but I could care less for new music.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    I don’t really care for a new album either. It’ll most likely be lack luster and it’ll make sets even worse than they are.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    This. Dave has nothing left to say. So... just don't. Come Tomorrow is absolutely dreadful.

Just be a touring band. More garbage albums will just pollute the tours since they insist on playing 4-7 new songs a night.

This fan forum is something else.
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #34
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    This fan forum is something else.
    Right? Everyone in here is now middle aged and frumpy and only wants to hear the hits. But not the hits, they want deep tracks from old albums because the hits are overplayed and predictable. No new songs ever!

An am.org perfect setlist for the next 20 years

Last Stop - only the full version
    Spoon - not with tim reynolds though
    Pay For What You Get
    Halloween
    Minerets-but the old version not the 2018 version
    Deed is Done
    One Sweet World- Only with the intro
    Typical Situation
    Cry Freedom
    Sugar Will
    Dreaming Tree - not too fast though and not too slow
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-29-2021, 11:03 AM   #35
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    This thread is a hoot.
    Kind of the exact opposite of what I anticipated when making it... I didn't predict complete apathy... I didn't know fans were so upset since 2005 really. Maybe 2001, but I would bet a lot of people in here weren't around as fans back then..

I do think Big Whiskey re invigorated the fan base and got a lot of newer fans on board. But I think that was the last time they'll ever appeal to the younger fan base again.. It's too far gone now. Like the gorge in 22 is going to be old people.. People 30 and up... 10 years ago it was still 20's-30's...
    Old 03-29-2021, 11:06 AM   #36
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    Right? Everyone in here is now middle aged and frumpy and only wants to hear the hits. But not the hits, they want deep tracks from old albums because the hits are overplayed and predictable. No new songs ever!

Pay For What You Get
    Halloween
    Deed is Done
    Typical Situation
    Cry Freedom
    Sugar Will
    . Yep. It’s why I hardly login anymore. The more I distance myself from the negativity, the better the band sounds to me.
    Old 03-29-2021, 11:10 AM   #37
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    . Yep. It’s why I hardly login anymore. The more I distance myself from the negativity, the better the band sounds to me.
    Good idea. I thought I was amongst DMB fans here which is why I am here. I can't talk about this stuff with real people outside of the internet. No one cares about DMB setlists in real life or anything DMB really.
    Old 03-29-2021, 11:14 AM   #38
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Good idea. I thought I was amongst DMB fans here which is why I am here. I can't talk about this stuff with real people outside of the internet. No one cares about DMB setlists in real life or anything DMB really.
    Lol. Well I can tell this forum is mostly fans that wish it was 1999-2002 all over again, on repeat, for the rest of their lives.

I haven’t tried it myself because I don’t have Facebook, but I know Ants members hate the DMb Facebook groups, so I’m going to assume they’re more positive people. You might try that.

To be fair, there are SOME fans left here that actually like DMB in 2021, but it’s becoming more rare.
    Old 03-29-2021, 11:37 AM   #39
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I like the current lineup more and more, even in '18 I liked their sound more than the last several years with BT, I liked CT a lot and it's my favorite DMB album since Everyday/BS era, if they release an album this year I hope Jeff is featured more on it than past albums
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-29-2021, 11:48 AM   #40
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

This band is more than capable of putting out a good album. They could record a bunch of fan favorite unreleased songs and it sell well enough. If their studio efforts going forward are similar to Come Tomorrow... then no. My main concern would be new bad songs weakening live shows. If we got a b-sides album at least we'd have stuff like Bismark, Sugar Will, Crazy Easy, and Shotgun filling up setlist.

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]
    DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-29-2021, 11:53 AM   #41
    BearambleAmble

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Pay For What You Get
    Halloween
    Deed is Done
    Typical Situation
    Cry Freedom
    Sugar Will
    Set looks great, can it be acoustic a la '14-15, though? If so, I would like for them to also work out a few more songs in that format so sets don't become to formulaic.

Seriously, I enjoy the discussion/criticism over here. I like hearing the little things that made the band tick for people. And these disclaimers you've mentioned above...are they wrong? We once had a band that did those things and still has the chops to deliver. Why not throw your hands up about it?

This is not same the energy I bring into a show. But it's completely fine to be disappointed in the trajectory of a band that once showed exponential promise.

Also, I look forward to new music, fully aware that there may only be a tune or two with a glimmer of the good stuff. I still enjoy following them but will absolutely trash what needs to be trashed.
    BearambleAmble is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-29-2021, 12:43 PM   #42
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Kind of the exact opposite of what I anticipated when making it... I didn't predict complete apathy... I didn't know fans were so upset since 2005 really. Maybe 2001, but I would bet a lot of people in here weren't around as fans back then..

I do think Big Whiskey re invigorated the fan base and got a lot of newer fans on board. But I think that was the last time they'll ever appeal to the younger fan base again.. It's too far gone now. Like the gorge in 22 is going to be old people.. People 30 and up... 10 years ago it was still 20's-30's...
    I hear you, but from my perspective your start carries some negativity....not that that was your intention.

I definitely want more music...always...but I'm a big fan of all but two of their albums. CT is an album that I very much enjoy. The evolution of songwriting and sound of a band is of the journey I love, even when I don't always like the results (e.g.: ED & SU, as well as a various tunes like Plastic Girl among others).

Dave's still writing great stuff, but the process of packaging material and trying to sell it is just a crazy endeavor these days, especially for artists that used to make significant amounts of money from sales. If they spent even a small fraction of what they used to on promotional efforts, they'd still be pretty deep in the hole after the initial sales "rush" for a new release occurred.

That said, there's at least two other albums they could have released during there career:
    - 2004 - 2006 tunes and the
    - 2015 tunes
    The latter obviously adding to the post 2012 total. And then there's another two albums (at least) of material that have no official studio releases throughout the years.

The longer the band is around WITHOUT regularly releasing new material, the more stuck the fans will get in their myopic views of what the band is supposed to sound like and what constitutes "good" songs. That said, no one has to like anything (let alone everything) from any artist.

To a certain extent, I don't fault the band for recognizing the lack of benefit of officially releasing new music. Despite having more income (and theoretically more disposable income), their fan base isn't buying the new music. I'm not interested in the argument about the quality of said music, because my ears and I strongly disagree with any notion that it's mediocre let alone garbage.

We've got no choice but to take it when it comes (obviously). I definitely wish they recorded and released a lot more music than they have.
    Old 03-29-2021, 12:54 PM   #43
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Missed my edit window...not that you started negative, but CT is a magnet for bile vitriol from most here. It's as if it the album WERE a negative connotation and an affront to the fans that hate it. As such, it was bound to get another good round of bashing. Further, the low regard that many have for the album feeds a notion they've cemented that DMB is no longer a creative unit and therefore shouldn't bother releasing new music.

So the response have been rather predictable, although many are still quite amusing. As I've said before, this forum is to DMB fanship as the Comic Book Store Guy is to the patrons of his store and the products he sells. The contempt is palpable.
    Old 03-29-2021, 01:21 PM   #44
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I like the current lineup more and more, even in '18 I liked their sound more than the last several years with BT, I liked CT a lot and it's my favorite DMB album since Everyday/BS era, if they release an album this year I hope Jeff is featured more on it than past albums
    I do to. I actually like it a lot albeit it's a strange "album".. It's good and 3 years in holds the test of time for me. I tested out our new cars stereo system and Can't Stop and Again and Again were the songs I used.

I like that they went back to a slower paced tempo on the songs, and that they've brought back even a small bit of the late 90's jazz feel to songs like Typical, though it's not played nearly enough still...
    Old 03-29-2021, 03:32 PM   #45
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I agree with all this, I loved CT album, and they certainly sound tighter than those last years with boyd

However if they could just tweak the live setting a bit more

Tim has toned back a little but he’s still over bearing at times, and their tempo is high speed in a lot of songs which you think they would slow down at an older age. I also love buddy and the addition of the piano but the church organ can be a bit much too

Get rid of the church organ sound to a classic tone, turn Tim down a bit, and slow things down- few minor tweaks and I’d think they would sound way better
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-29-2021, 03:38 PM   #46
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I like CT and always look forward to new albums. As long as they are together I hope they continue to make new music.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #47
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This. Dave has nothing left to say. So... just don't. Come Tomorrow is absolutely dreadful.

Just be a touring band. More garbage albums will just pollute the tours since they insist on playing 4-7 new songs a night.
    I agree with this sentiment. Even if they do release an album, i have no reason to believe the best songs would be on it. They have been doing this over twenty years, if anything we should just be happy tlws saw the light of day.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-29-2021, 04:42 PM   #48
    SeekUpTheCubs
    DMBallwasher

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I like Dave Matthews Band. I hope they release an album. I hope they release more than one more album. I hope they release ten more albums. I hope it does not take long because I like them. I like the way their music sounds.
    Old 03-29-2021, 05:01 PM   #49
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I do to. I actually like it a lot albeit it's a strange "album".. It's good and 3 years in holds the test of time for me. I tested out our new cars stereo system and Can't Stop and Again and Again were the songs I used.

I like that they went back to a slower paced tempo on the songs, and that they've brought back even a small bit of the late 90's jazz feel to songs like Typical, though it's not played nearly enough still...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    I agree with all this, I loved CT album, and they certainly sound tighter than those last years with boyd

However if they could just tweak the live setting a bit more

Tim has toned back a little but he’s still over bearing at times, and their tempo is high speed in a lot of songs which you think they would slow down at an older age. I also love buddy and the addition of the piano but the church organ can be a bit much too

Get rid of the church organ sound to a classic tone, turn Tim down a bit, and slow things down- few minor tweaks and I’d think they would sound way better

I agree on tweaking it a bit more and organ is a big one for me, playing it on LIOG sounds awful and wrecks a beautiful jam, I think their tempo overall is much improved but there are glaring exceptions like DDTW and Grey St.
    Old 03-29-2021, 05:06 PM   #50
    Matt83
    #11 (The Quirk)

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Would love to hear Tim use a Roland JC120 amp, rather than the Mesa's.

But also, just for shits and giggles, I'd enjoy seeing the reactions of people if he played guitars with active pickups and an older Peavey 5150. Throw in a Klon pedal too.
    Matt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-29-2021, 05:44 PM   #51
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

What if there were good, new songs that truly embody the best this version of the band has to offer and that helps keep things fresh?

I'm not saying that's what is going to happen, but I'd have to think with the talent in the band, it's a possibility.

Still would like a violin back though.
    Old 03-29-2021, 08:20 PM   #52
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I know this might be controversial here, but I still enjoy Dave's music.

I enjoyed Big Whiskey, Come Tomorrow and Come Tomorrow. I'd like to hear what this iteration of the band can create together. I know Dave's washed up and has nothing to say, but I'm excited for new music.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-29-2021, 08:38 PM   #53
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I've landed squarely in the "CT is garbage" camp, BUT the actual songs that were written in the 2013-2015 Cavallo sessions + 2017 are all songs that I like from the band. So even though I think the album itself is largely disappointing, I actually like the songs from this recent era.

I have a feeling that this upcoming album may be really really good. Post-Boyd, they are the happiest they've been since they all came together for BW, and Dave and Carter were able to craft these songs together in a "no pressure" environment where the music could develop naturally. Windows and Ocean and the Butterfly are new songs that I'm loving, and more songs from this session may be best we've heard in years. But production is everything for this band, so we'll see if Rob Evans can capture them at their best and how it sounds aesthetically.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-29-2021, 09:10 PM   #54
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Lol. Well I can tell this forum is mostly fans that wish it was 1999-2002 all over again, on repeat, for the rest of their lives.

I haven’t tried it myself because I don’t have Facebook, but I know Ants members hate the DMb Facebook groups, so I’m going to assume they’re more positive people. You might try that.

To be fair, there are SOME fans left here that actually like DMB in 2021, but it’s becoming more rare.

By all means, head over to the safe space that is the DMB Family where everything this band has ever done is nothing short of the best thing any band has ever done.
    Old 03-30-2021, 05:53 AM   #55
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

The problem with dmb releasing albums is, it seems since at least since 2000, they always release the lesser album. They will play some songs the fans love during a tour only for those songs to be absent from the album or after the album is released something leaks and it's better than the actual album. At this point, I just want what's in the vault. They have enough unreleased stuff to have had some great albums, they just choose not to put them out.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2021, 08:05 AM   #56
    DMBlunts

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

By all means, head over to the safe space that is the DMB Family where everything this band has ever done is nothing short of the best thing any band has ever done.
    For real, objectivity is an idea that is completely lost on those people. That kind of fanbase probably applaud their sports teams for winning one out of 12 games a year. It's sickening really.
    #22 in 2021.
    DMBlunts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2021, 08:41 AM   #57
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    I know this might be controversial here, but I still enjoy Dave's music.

I enjoyed Big Whiskey, Come Tomorrow and Come Tomorrow. I'd like to hear what this iteration of the band can create together. I know Dave's washed up and has nothing to say, but I'm excited for new music.
    I don’t think it’s controversial. I bet most people on here still want new music, but those that are critical tend to speak out more. It’s just the nature of the internet.

Also, I don’t have a problem with people being critical of the band. I have had my complaints.

Last edited by DMBCardinal; 03-30-2021 at 08:43 AM.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2021, 08:50 AM   #58
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBlunts View Post
    For real, objectivity is an idea that is completely lost on those people. That kind of fanbase probably applaud their sports teams for winning one out of 12 games a year. It's sickening really.

It also doesn't make sense in that DMB has how many songs including things that weren't on albums? All of them are equal to each other in greatness?
    Old 03-30-2021, 08:56 AM   #59
    JZ4140

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

I'd rather have new recorded music than live shows.

I have so much fun at live shows, but they only account for a few nights every year at most.

Recorded music I carry with me always.
    JZ4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2021, 09:55 AM   #60
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Personally, I'd rather have them play good new songs at shows, whether or not they decide to record them. I rarely listen to DMB's studio albums.