*Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling) - Page 5513 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #165361
rconverse
 
rconverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pretty Boy Blue State
Posts: 77,945

Shows Seen: 25

Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
NCAA basketball in March, maybe.

And entertaining does not mean it's a better product. That's like saying Trump is a better president than Obama because he's a shitshow and that's more entertaining to watch.
Point is, Trump is just a better president.
rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #165362
    BTBaboon
    Cats are the damn best
     
    BTBaboon's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Posts: 37,952

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    That's like saying Trump is a better president than Obama because he's a shitshow and that's more entertaining to watch.
    This is just a bad comparison
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #165363
    Lee3691
     
    Lee3691's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Location: Californian in Texas
    Posts: 42,686

    Shows Seen: 123

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    First, off, 80% of the teams in the NBA are just trash to begin with. The league is so damn unbalanced it's ridiculous. 5-6 years in a row you've been able to just write in the Warriors and not even think about it. Why even play the 82?

    Second, there's no "team" anything in 90% of the league. You have 1-2 guys who are studs and the rest is a supporting cast of mediocre players who are just there to take up space and occasionally pick up the ball when it bounces away from one of the good players.
    This post is so completely wrong, I feel like Trump wrote. Maybe he did:

    Terrorist Steve Kerr hates America (grew up in the middle east) with his boring basketball. No defense! No strategy in the NBA! The failing NBA with their fixed winners. NCAA basketball GREAT and beautiful!
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #165364
    TheLastPig
     
    TheLastPig's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 46,337

    Shows Seen: 53

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    NCAA basketball in March, maybe.

    And entertaining does not mean it's a better product. That's like saying Trump is a better president than Obama because he's a shitshow and that's more entertaining to watch.
    More entertaining absolutely means a better whole product for me.

    There are TONS of conference games in NCAAB that are nail biters going down to the wire or OT which have meaning. Give me those every time over watching Lebron drop 40+ for the 150th time
    __________________
    WVU


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #165365
    Rodey
    #FearTheDeer
     
    Rodey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 77,136

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    It's a great comparison, actually.

    Point is, I honestly don't know a single basketball purist who would tell you that the college game is a better product. If you think it'd more entertaining, that's your personal preference. But the product isn't better. Not even remotely close.

    The argument of "great team defense" in college almost always boils down to shitty offense, by the way.
    __________________
    Jordan
    "I'll tell you what: I'm never eating at Benihana again. I don't care whose birthday it is."
    Rodey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 04:55 PM   #165366
    Lee3691
     
    Lee3691's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Location: Californian in Texas
    Posts: 42,686

    Shows Seen: 123

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailtopitt View Post
    you're just seeing the byproduct of bigger and better athletes

    i enjoy seeing the organized man-to-man switching and 5 man unit playing a disciplined 2-3 zone in the NCAA...you just don't get much, if any, of that in the NBA
    You can't play 2-3 zone in the NBA because the offensive players are too good. You should switch to high school or even middle school basketball, you'll probably like it better than the NCAA.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #165367
    BTBaboon
    Cats are the damn best
     
    BTBaboon's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Posts: 37,952

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    This post is so completely wrong
    Which part? The part about most of the league being trash? I'm open to hearing why I'm wrong. It looks to me, as a casual viewer turned off by the current state of the league, that you have a ton of teams swimming in mediocrity, 10% actively tanking for the lottery, and ~4 teams actually competing for a title.

    Was it the part about the Warriors being easy write-ins for the west for 6 years? Again, I can't see how that is wrong?

    Please, enlighten me and tell me why the NBA is actually a better product to watch for 82 games a year + playoffs.
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #165368
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable
     
    dontdrink36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Posts: 29,709

    Shows Seen: 45

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    we said MAJOR sports (in America, where we reside).



    It's 100% a better product to watch. The game in the NBA barely resembles basketball anymore.
    The MLS is closing in on NHL for popularity and in 5 to 10 years I think it surpasses it as #4 in America.

    Also the NBA is so far and beyond better in every possible aspect the NCAA. Its laughable to suggest otherwise. The only exciting thing about NCAAB is the opening week on the tourney.
    __________________
    2021: Raleigh, Charlotte, Alpharetta
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #165369
    Rodey
    #FearTheDeer
     
    Rodey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 77,136

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    This post is so completely wrong, I feel like Trump wrote. Maybe he did:

    Terrorist Steve Kerr hates America (grew up in the middle east) with his boring basketball. No defense! No strategy in the NBA! The failing NBA with their fixed winners. NCAA basketball GREAT and beautiful!
    __________________
    Jordan
    "I'll tell you what: I'm never eating at Benihana again. I don't care whose birthday it is."
    Rodey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #165370
    Lee3691
     
    Lee3691's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Location: Californian in Texas
    Posts: 42,686

    Shows Seen: 123

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post

    The argument of "great team defense" in college almost always boils down to shitty offense, by the way.
    This is the key point.

    Also, one could have made a reasonable argument that the NCAA was more watchable back when players stayed 3-4 years.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 04:58 PM   #165371
    BTBaboon
    Cats are the damn best
     
    BTBaboon's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Posts: 37,952

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    Point is, I honestly don't know a single basketball purist
    That seems fair

    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 04:58 PM   #165372
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!
     
    hailtopitt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: pittsburgh
    Posts: 56,784

    Shows Seen: 44

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    You can't play 2-3 zone in the NBA because the offensive players are too good. You should switch to high school or even middle school basketball, you'll probably like it better than the NCAA.
    nah, i'm good

    thanks tho
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    realizing that you go from doing everything for them, to some day doing almost nothing...
    hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #165373
    BTBaboon
    Cats are the damn best
     
    BTBaboon's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Posts: 37,952

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    The MLS is closing in on NHL for popularity and in 5 to 10 years I think it surpasses it as #4 in America.
    I think that says more about NHL sux than MLS gud
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #165374
    Rodey
    #FearTheDeer
     
    Rodey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 77,136

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Which part? The part about most of the league being trash? I'm open to hearing why I'm wrong. It looks to me, as a casual viewer turned off by the current state of the league, that you have a ton of teams swimming in mediocrity, 10% actively tanking for the lottery, and ~4 teams actually competing for a title.

    Was it the part about the Warriors being easy write-ins for the west for 6 years? Again, I can't see how that is wrong?

    Please, enlighten me and tell me why the NBA is actually a better product to watch for 82 games a year + playoffs.
    You're equating excitement with the quality of basketball. That's why you're wrong.

    And parity is such a dumb thing to bring up. There's hardly parity in any professional US sport outside of maybe baseball. The Patriots have like 30% of the Super Bowls over the last 19 years.
    __________________
    Jordan
    "I'll tell you what: I'm never eating at Benihana again. I don't care whose birthday it is."
    Rodey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #165375
    TheLastPig
     
    TheLastPig's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 46,337

    Shows Seen: 53

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    NHL is completely mismanaged from a marketing perspective, that’s one of its biggest problems. That and the in person experience vs Tv is tilted way too heavily in the wrong direction.
    __________________
    WVU


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #165376
    Rodey
    #FearTheDeer
     
    Rodey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 77,136

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    This is the key point.

    Also, one could have made a reasonable argument that the NCAA was more watchable back when players stayed 3-4 years.
    Agreed.

    I mean, I love both, but to argue that the NCAA is a better product is dumb.
    __________________
    Jordan
    "I'll tell you what: I'm never eating at Benihana again. I don't care whose birthday it is."
    Rodey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #165377
    BTBaboon
    Cats are the damn best
     
    BTBaboon's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Posts: 37,952

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    If you are a fan of one of the 20+ teams in the NBA either toiling in mediocrity or actively tanking for the lottery, what incentive is there to watch at all during a season that lasts nearly 9 months?
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #165378
    rconverse
     
    rconverse's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2003
    Location: Pretty Boy Blue State
    Posts: 77,945

    Shows Seen: 25

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    The elusive #rodemelt in its natural habitat.
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #165379
    Lee3691
     
    Lee3691's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Location: Californian in Texas
    Posts: 42,686

    Shows Seen: 123

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Which part? The part about most of the league being trash? I'm open to hearing why I'm wrong. It looks to me, as a casual viewer turned off by the current state of the league, that you have a ton of teams swimming in mediocrity, 10% actively tanking for the lottery, and ~4 teams actually competing for a title.

    Was it the part about the Warriors being easy write-ins for the west for 6 years? Again, I can't see how that is wrong?

    Please, enlighten me and tell me why the NBA is actually a better product to watch for 82 games a year + playoffs.
    Bold: The entire post I quoted.

    Underline: The NBA is a better product because the skill level, athletic level, strategy, defense are a million times superior than the college game.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    If you are a fan of one of the 20+ teams in the NBA either toiling in mediocrity or actively tanking for the lottery, what incentive is there to watch at all during a season that lasts nearly 9 months?
    Better basketball?

    How many NCAA teams are realistically win the title every year? Probably 10 or less. % wise, the NBA teams have a higher % teams that are contenders.

    Last edited by Lee3691; 08-16-2019 at 05:02 PM.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #165380
    BTBaboon
    Cats are the damn best
     
    BTBaboon's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Posts: 37,952

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    You're equating excitement with the quality of basketball.
    No. I'm not saying the quality of the basketball games themselves are bad. I'm saying that the entire league, as a whole product, is bad for viewers at large. It's largely noncompetitive, far too superstar driven, and pretty terribly marketed.
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #165381
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather
     
    mthawk07's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: Tampa
    Posts: 21,437

    Shows Seen: 19

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Throwing my hat in the college basketball ring. Canít stand the NBA.
    __________________
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
    mthawk07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #165382
    BTBaboon
    Cats are the damn best
     
    BTBaboon's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Posts: 37,952

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
    Throwing my hat in the college basketball ring. Canít stand the NBA.
    Amen brother. Welcome to the resistance!
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #165383
    DMBstandUP1984
    Swiftie
     
    DMBstandUP1984's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Posts: 68,387

    Shows Seen: 33

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    No DH speeds the game up. Iím in favor


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    __________________
    What I like about cowboy hats is, they seem to really protect you from the sun and progressive ideas.- Joe List
    DMBstandUP1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #165384
    DMBstandUP1984
    Swiftie
     
    DMBstandUP1984's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Posts: 68,387

    Shows Seen: 33

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    I think the NBA is creating a mess for itself with all of the "weird" free agency stuff, imo. In turn, despite having better individual components, the overall product is inferior, imo.

    Edit: Team No DH


    NBA off season is more entertaining than the regular season.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    __________________
    What I like about cowboy hats is, they seem to really protect you from the sun and progressive ideas.- Joe List
    DMBstandUP1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #165385
    Lee3691
     
    Lee3691's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Location: Californian in Texas
    Posts: 42,686

    Shows Seen: 123

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    No. I'm not saying the quality of the basketball games themselves are bad. I'm saying that the entire league, as a whole product, is bad for viewers at large. It's largely noncompetitive, far too superstar driven, and pretty terribly marketed.
    1 out of 3 ain't bad (#2 is correct that it is superstar driven, but I don't see that as a negative)
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:07 PM   #165386
    TheLastPig
     
    TheLastPig's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 46,337

    Shows Seen: 53

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    Bold: The entire post I quoted.

    Underline: The NBA is a better product because the skill level, athletic level, strategy, defense are a million times superior than the college game.



    How many NCAA teams are realistically win the title every year? Probably 10 or less. % wise, the NBA teams have a higher % teams that are contenders.
    Yeah Iím not buying the bold, superstar players just take over, possessions hardly last more than 15 seconds. Donít disagree with the rest of the first part.

    The second part isnít a good faith point, NCAA teams have more attainable goals than just winning a NC. Winning a conference is a huge accomplishment, as is making the elite 8 or final 4.
    __________________
    WVU


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:09 PM   #165387
    DMBstandUP1984
    Swiftie
     
    DMBstandUP1984's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Posts: 68,387

    Shows Seen: 33

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c1dcb10366.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e52fd14fbc.jpg

    Eh oh seems like a lot of empty seats to me


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    __________________
    What I like about cowboy hats is, they seem to really protect you from the sun and progressive ideas.- Joe List
    DMBstandUP1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #165388
    Rodey
    #FearTheDeer
     
    Rodey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 77,136

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Fred Van Vleet basically won a team two playoff series, including the NBA Finals, but superstar players are the only good ones!
    __________________
    Jordan
    "I'll tell you what: I'm never eating at Benihana again. I don't care whose birthday it is."
    Rodey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #165389
    BTBaboon
    Cats are the damn best
     
    BTBaboon's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Posts: 37,952

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post
    No DH speeds the game up. Iím in favor
    It really doesn't though: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...the-game-down/

    Quote:
    My first check was the simplest. I divided all games into four categories: games between AL teams, those between NL teams, interleague games hosted by AL teams (which have the DH) and interleague games hosted by NL teams (which donít). Games between AL teams were, on average, two minutes and 15 seconds longer than games between NL teams.

    But that gap might be because certain AL teams ó notably Boston and New York ó are slower than NL teams and not because of different rules. Luckily, interleague and World Series games provide a useful test, because teams typically have played each opponent roughly the same number of times at home and away ó albeit not necessarily in the same season. That should control for any effect from particular teams or matchups.

    So, when the same two teams played each other in an NL park or an AL park, which game was longer?

    On average, surprisingly, the longer game has been in the NL park ó by 15 seconds. That calculation is based on more than 2,000 games each in NL and AL parks ó defining interleague to include regular-season and World Series games between an AL team and an NL team.

    Thatís solid evidence that itís the style of individual teams, rather than the DH rule, causing the discrepancy in length of AL and NL games.
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #165390
    TheLastPig
     
    TheLastPig's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 46,337

    Shows Seen: 53

    Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    Fred Van Vleet basically won a team two playoff series, including the NBA Finals, but superstar players are the only good ones!
    yeah because they DEFINITELY wouldíve been in that situation without Kawhi.
    __________________
    WVU


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram