2022 Poster Discussion - Page 7 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2022, 05:42 PM   #181
Alexis17
 
Alexis17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 326

Shows Seen: 0

Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

cool tribute to the Almanac admins buried in the Creek n2 poster:

https://i.ibb.co/zScQ9BW/almanac-poster.jpg
Alexis17 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-27-2022, 11:25 PM   #182
    Sabres914
     
    Sabres914's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Minnesota, USA
    Posts: 6,207

    Shows Seen: 84

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexis17 View Post
    cool tribute to the Almanac admins buried in the Creek n2 poster:

    https://i.ibb.co/zScQ9BW/almanac-poster.jpg
    AWESOME. So happy for them
    __________________
    DMBAlmanac Show Stats
    Sabres914 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 08:24 AM   #183
    Aforauer
     
    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Location: Connecticut
    Posts: 1,399

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Make posters great again

    Feel like a good poster comes 1/10 shows


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    After a nuclear global bombing, only the cockroaches and Seven will be left to roam this earth.
    Aforauer is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 08:35 AM   #184
    Moose Thompson
    F Them Kids
     
    Moose Thompson's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Posts: 982

    Shows Seen: 38

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aforauer View Post
    Make posters great again

    Feel like a good poster comes 1/10 shows


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's probably lifetime average from the band. When was the last "great" year of prints? 2012? And prior to 2012 most of the great years were because of multi-poster series?

    Without looking I'd guess that each tour since 2013 has had 5 or so great prints and then a major dropoff?
    Moose Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 09:47 AM   #185
    Aforauer
     
    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Location: Connecticut
    Posts: 1,399

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moose Thompson View Post
    That's probably lifetime average from the band. When was the last "great" year of prints? 2012? And prior to 2012 most of the great years were because of multi-poster series?

    Without looking I'd guess that each tour since 2013 has had 5 or so great prints and then a major dropoff?

    Between the obsession with methane taking up half the tour and then the lackluster prints they approve for shows, we’re not left with much. If it’s not the big name artists they’re usually a miss unfortunately


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    After a nuclear global bombing, only the cockroaches and Seven will be left to roam this earth.
    Aforauer is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 10:26 AM   #186
    grilldanmo
     
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Posts: 5,944

    Shows Seen: 39

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    While not looking to disagree with the most recent posts, that quality of the images is completely subjective.

    I'm not saying Methane isn't overused, because I think they are. However, I do think they still drop a few nice posters each year. That said, I do wish there were more Eads, Tsang, Slater, Kelly, Shock, Flames, Taylor, Steely, etc. It seems they are all in higher demand and/or their work seems to be more organic requiring a longer turnaround time. I've also wondered if Music Today/RLM have some stake in Methane, but then I think they'd be more pervasive throughout their roster...

    I can respect the art of the DC N2 poster, but it's not one I'd want to hang on the wall. I do like Danger's art overall, but this poster is my least favorite of his recent gig posters. The Trey and Billy Strings ones are much more interesting to me.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 10:37 AM   #187
    Aforauer
     
    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Location: Connecticut
    Posts: 1,399

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    While not looking to disagree with the most recent posts, that quality of the images is completely subjective.

    I'm not saying Methane isn't overused, because I think they are. However, I do think they still drop a few nice posters each year. That said, I do wish there were more Eads, Tsang, Slater, Kelly, Shock, Flames, Taylor, Steely, etc. It seems they are all in higher demand and/or their work seems to be more organic requiring a longer turnaround time. I've also wondered if Music Today/RLM have some stake in Methane, but then I think they'd be more pervasive throughout their roster...

    I can respect the art of the DC N2 poster, but it's not one I'd want to hang on the wall. I do like Danger's art overall, but this poster is my least favorite of his recent gig posters. The Trey and Billy Strings ones are much more interesting to me.

    Agree with everything here. Well said


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    After a nuclear global bombing, only the cockroaches and Seven will be left to roam this earth.
    Aforauer is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 10:41 AM   #188
    arizza11
     
    arizza11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Pittsburgh
    Posts: 1,269

    Shows Seen: 90

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    I don't know why, but I sort of feel like DMB started this concert poster trend. Maybe that's why they've gotten stale? Only so many ideas to use with one band/genre. I do wish they would do more location themed posters. Whether it be with structures, teams, foods, etc. I know they have, but I just wish they did more that way. I know Eric Church has recently gotten into doing concert posters and I don't think he's had a bad one yet. Maybe because he hasn't been doing it for as long? Avett Brothers as well.
    __________________
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII
    6 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS
    '91 '92 '09 '16 '17
    5 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPS
    arizza11 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 11:09 AM   #189
    grilldanmo
     
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Posts: 5,944

    Shows Seen: 39

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arizza11 View Post
    I don't know why, but I sort of feel like DMB started this concert poster trend. Maybe that's why they've gotten stale? Only so many ideas to use with one band/genre. I do wish they would do more location themed posters. Whether it be with structures, teams, foods, etc. I know they have, but I just wish they did more that way. I know Eric Church has recently gotten into doing concert posters and I don't think he's had a bad one yet. Maybe because he hasn't been doing it for as long? Avett Brothers as well.
    The Avett Brothers have a unique perspective as Scott is an artist himself. Not a casual one like Dave (and I really like Dave's stuff), but a serious, practicing, schooled artist. Scott's "back-up" plan was his visual art. I wonder if his skills motivate the artists they hire?
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 11:35 AM   #190
    arizza11
     
    arizza11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Pittsburgh
    Posts: 1,269

    Shows Seen: 90

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    The Avett Brothers have a unique perspective as Scott is an artist himself. Not a casual one like Dave (and I really like Dave's stuff), but a serious, practicing, schooled artist. Scott's "back-up" plan was his visual art. I wonder if his skills motivate the artists they hire?
    Wow, I did not know that. That's super cool to learn, thanks!
    __________________
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII
    6 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS
    '91 '92 '09 '16 '17
    5 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPS
    arizza11 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 11:40 AM   #191
    Tomacco
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: Toronto
    Posts: 733

    Shows Seen: 127

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Methane needs to never make another DMB poster again, I think we can all agree on that.
    __________________
    Without hatred, where's the light?
    Without the darkness, where's the love?
    I see it now.
    Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 12:23 PM   #192
    ISawTheBridge10
     
    Join Date: Sep 2015
    Posts: 1,210

    Shows Seen: 25

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    They just have too many shows for it to be feasible to not use Methane. I'm guessing they have quite the variety of artists to pull from.

    Even if they exclusively used Tsang or James Flames, the lack of variety in their work would get boring after a while. That's what makes them so special when they finally show up. But even then, not all of them are great.

    Sidenote, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but how exactly do the Methane posters work? Do they design them specifically for DMB? Or do the artists submit prints which are then chosen to add band/date/location to? For example, on Daniel Danger's site, there's a Billy Strings poster, but then there's the same print sans the Billy Strings concert info. Just unsure how they approach it.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 12:35 PM   #193
    Nieds03
     
    Join Date: Apr 2022
    Posts: 1

    Shows Seen: 3

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    For those who have gone to Alpine, what is the poster situation like? What time should I get there? How quickly do they sell out? Any tips and tricks? Thanks everyone!
    Nieds03 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #194
    grilldanmo
     
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Posts: 5,944

    Shows Seen: 39

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    And as if on cue, Flames with a sweet Jones Beach poster...
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #195
    Aforauer
     
    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Location: Connecticut
    Posts: 1,399

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    And as if on cue, Flames with a sweet Jones Beach poster...

    Big fan. Flames consistently delivers quality prints. I always like the colors he uses


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    After a nuclear global bombing, only the cockroaches and Seven will be left to roam this earth.
    Aforauer is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 03:47 PM   #196
    grilldanmo
     
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Posts: 5,944

    Shows Seen: 39

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aforauer View Post
    Big fan. Flames consistently delivers quality prints. I always like the colors he uses


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a lighter cartoon-ish quality that feels honest. We've got three, definitely great colors and use of light.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 03:52 PM   #197
    Bearclaw_
     
    Bearclaw_'s Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Posts: 5,375

    Shows Seen: 56

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    And as if on cue, Flames with a sweet Jones Beach poster...
    Bro, you know the drill. Post the link to the image.
    Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 03:53 PM   #198
    grilldanmo
     
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Posts: 5,944

    Shows Seen: 39

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    https://twitter.com/johnnydriscoll/s...53114545971202
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 03:55 PM   #199
    Bearclaw_
     
    Bearclaw_'s Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Posts: 5,375

    Shows Seen: 56

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    POSTER DETAILS UPDATE (06/28/2022)

    LINKS TO POSTER IMAGES:

    Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 04:11 PM   #200
    Moose Thompson
    F Them Kids
     
    Moose Thompson's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Posts: 982

    Shows Seen: 38

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arizza11 View Post
    I don't know why, but I sort of feel like DMB started this concert poster trend. Maybe that's why they've gotten stale? Only so many ideas to use with one band/genre. I do wish they would do more location themed posters. Whether it be with structures, teams, foods, etc. I know they have, but I just wish they did more that way. I know Eric Church has recently gotten into doing concert posters and I don't think he's had a bad one yet. Maybe because he hasn't been doing it for as long? Avett Brothers as well.
    This might be a little bit of experience bias. Concert posters have been around since the 60s. Plenty of bands were selling them in the 90s. Pearl Jam was selling show specific posters as far back as 1996. Phish was early as well, maybe 1999 or so for show specific prints? Both PJ and Phish had rabid, obsessive print communities well before DMB and their prices on secondary reflected as much.

    DMB started in 2003 with the Keene posters that aren't particularly beloved or sought after. Then from 2004-2007 they had show posters but reused the art for multiple shows and just changed the show info. And the DMB scene was relatively chill and fairly priced even for grails until raffles took hold and prices shot up. I remember the Bartender print dropping on WH and making fun of it on DavePosters. Now it's a grail lmao.

    To your last point - I do love Avett Bros prints. I have one of their Ken Taylor's up in my house.
    Moose Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2022, 02:44 PM   #201
    arizza11
     
    arizza11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Pittsburgh
    Posts: 1,269

    Shows Seen: 90

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    https://www.instagram.com/p/CfZix6SN..._web_copy_link

    Perhaps the worst poster of all time
    __________________
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII
    6 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS
    '91 '92 '09 '16 '17
    5 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPS
    arizza11 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2022, 02:47 PM   #202
    mynameismike
     
    Join Date: Aug 2021
    Posts: 264

    Shows Seen: 4

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    that....is something
    mynameismike is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2022, 02:50 PM   #203
    mHeiser92
     
    mHeiser92's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2014
    Location: Iowa
    Posts: 2,974

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Does it even have show date/venue? Am I missing it?
    __________________
    2022: Alpine Valley x2
    mHeiser92 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2022, 02:53 PM   #204
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator
     
    ExistenceNow's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Austin, Tx
    Posts: 87,520

    Shows Seen: 114

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mHeiser92 View Post
    Does it even have show date/venue? Am I missing it?
    It's in a cloud(?) coming out of the ape's head.
    __________________
    -Matthew
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2022, 02:54 PM   #205
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator
     
    ExistenceNow's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Austin, Tx
    Posts: 87,520

    Shows Seen: 114

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    I don't like it and wouldn't buy it, but at least it's different than the same old recycled Methane trash. So it's got that going for it.
    __________________
    -Matthew
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2022, 02:58 PM   #206
    donvito72
     
    donvito72's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2002
    Location: Cranberry Twp, PA
    Posts: 2,843

    Shows Seen: 57

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    It's awful.
    donvito72 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2022, 03:02 PM   #207
    mHeiser92
     
    mHeiser92's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2014
    Location: Iowa
    Posts: 2,974

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    It's in a cloud(?) coming out of the ape's head.
    Ah. Yep.


    Definitely not for me, but different for sure.
    __________________
    2022: Alpine Valley x2
    mHeiser92 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2022, 03:05 PM   #208
    whiskers11
     
    Join Date: Jun 2015
    Posts: 94

    Shows Seen: 38

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Not my favorite poster, but live in NJ, so that gives the poster a bit of sentimental value for me. Bringing my girl to her first show, and she grew up right by the dinosaur, so definitely a buy for us.
    whiskers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2022, 03:06 PM   #209
    swordo84
    . .
     
    swordo84's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 14,962

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arizza11 View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CfZix6SN..._web_copy_link

    Perhaps the worst poster of all time
    That's uh..... not good.
    swordo84 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2022, 03:07 PM   #210
    BruceW
     
    BruceW's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Location: FLA
    Posts: 33,297

    Shows Seen: 59

    Re: 2022 Poster Discussion

    Better than 80% of Methane’s efforts
    __________________
    Episode 61: "Sam Erickson": Apple YouTube
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram