Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread - Page 494 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-27-2022, 04:06 PM   #14791
monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsGoatee View Post
No I mean, Indy itself is not a destination city for like vacations and such.

Like I said, Indy is a good time, but its not like Chicago, New York City, etc.

They just happen to get DMB shows that slap so its turned into that for DMB fans.

When I went this weekend, it was for bachelor party where we played disc golf and went to DMB. If DMB wasnt there, we were not going to Indy.
This brings up a thought I had that I actually prefer Indy and Hartford over the Chicago or NYC type major city venues (outside of a winter show in NYC).

Going to my first Creekend and being local to the Hartford show I like how much easier it is to navigate the city once you leave the lots. Chicago and New York are extreme headaches to travel through traffic wise and much more expensive in the summer to secure hotels.

This is why even though I am a few hours from Jones Beach and Holmdel I never go to those shows. And while I am in Chicago now to check off some baseball stadiums I will never go to northerly island unless I am on the PJ with the band. All that traffic and expensive hotels for a flat windy venue on Lake Michigan.

Even with Creekend I was late to securing a hotel but even with my hotel being about 40 mins away from the venue it was a nice easy drive to Deer Creek because it is a smaller city. That would never be the case with NYC or Chicago. Getting to Northerly and Jones Beach are extremely inconvenient.

For DMB weekends by the time I hit the tailgate, upload and edit vids from the show and sleep I really don't need to do that many local things in town outside of grabbing a local beer or popular food item.
monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-27-2022, 04:28 PM   #14792
    JeffsGoatee
    FMR Hertz Gold Member

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monizzle145 View Post
    This brings up a thought I had that I actually prefer Indy and Hartford over the Chicago or NYC type major city venues (outside of a winter show in NYC).

Going to my first Creekend and being local to the Hartford show I like how much easier it is to navigate the city once you leave the lots. Chicago and New York are extreme headaches to travel through traffic wise and much more expensive in the summer to secure hotels.

This is why even though I am a few hours from Jones Beach and Holmdel I never go to those shows. And while I am in Chicago now to check off some baseball stadiums I will never go to northerly island unless I am on the PJ with the band. All that traffic and expensive hotels for a flat windy venue on Lake Michigan.

Even with Creekend I was late to securing a hotel but even with my hotel being about 40 mins away from the venue it was a nice easy drive to Deer Creek because it is a smaller city. That would never be the case with NYC or Chicago. Getting to Northerly and Jones Beach are extremely inconvenient.

For DMB weekends by the time I hit the tailgate, upload and edit vids from the show and sleep I really don't need to do that many local things in town outside of grabbing a local beer or popular food item.
    Absolutely, Northerly Island is a pain to get in and out from. N1 2021 with the storms was an adventure to put it mildly.

Pretty good shows though! Certainly better than Chicago in 2018.

Yeah DC is great, Indy is a nice town and getting around is not bad at all (shout out for the outside the venue parking tips too)

I have been trying to go every year since my first stop at DC in 2016, only didn’t make it in 2018.
    Old 06-27-2022, 05:22 PM   #14793
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Listening to deer creek shows. So happy I finally got to see Joe Lawlor. He is a perfect addition to DMB. What great versions of songs he guested on.
    Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2022, 05:27 PM   #14794
    JeffsGoatee
    FMR Hertz Gold Member

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ View Post
    Listening to deer creek shows. So happy I finally got to see Joe Lawlor. He is a perfect addition to DMB. What great versions of songs he guested on.
    R&R has managed to evade me up until this weekend, a highlight I won’t forget and Joe’s solo was tasty AF.
    Old 06-27-2022, 08:11 PM   #14795
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monizzle145 View Post

Glad you had a great time at Deer Creek. Awesome venue and vibe! I was bummed to miss it this year. Hopefully in 2023. Totally agree - way better than Northerly Island.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2022, 08:19 PM   #14796
    Sabres914

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    Random thought that doesn't need its own thread: After the Gorge, Deer Creek is the best place to see DMB among the regular sheds.
    I always love this topic. For me and the destination stops I've been to, it's like this:

Tier 1: Gorge
    Tier 2: Alpine, SPAC
    Tier 3:

Just my opinion. I've never been able to catch DC or WPB though.

Those tiers are strictly based on where I'd tell a die-hard or newbie they HAVE TO see the band. Band energy, crowd energy, tailgate scene, quality of set list, etc.

If we're talking strictly quality of venue, Bethel is up there. Man, that place is gorgeous.
    Old 06-27-2022, 08:40 PM   #14797
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alec View Post
    Does anyone else wish Dave would sing one continuous note on the falsetto part of “every fire dies out” in You Never Know instead of breaking it into two notes? Every single time I hear it I think maybe he’ll do it this time, but no.
    I’ve always noticed it but never wished for it to change. For me it continues the “all fall down, it won’t be so long now” melody. But I’m sure it would sound fine as one note too can’t go wrong. Love the ‘19 Alpine version that was posted in summer tour warm up
    camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2022, 09:45 PM   #14798
    hensleytyler44

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It was a fantastic weekend. I know I have bias from being there but that Rhyne & Reason is the goat version, Joe killed it. #41 was really special with his solos too. When it seemed like he was finishing it up his solo but then took us right into another one, so good.
    hensleytyler44 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 05:49 AM   #14799
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabres914 View Post
    I always love this topic. For me and the destination stops I've been to, it's like this:

Tier 1: Gorge
    Tier 2: Alpine, SPAC
    Tier 3:

Just my opinion. I've never been able to catch DC or WPB though.

Those tiers are strictly based on where I'd tell a die-hard or newbie they HAVE TO see the band. Band energy, crowd energy, tailgate scene, quality of set list, etc.

If we're talking strictly quality of venue, Bethel is up there. Man, that place is gorgeous.
    Blossom and Woodlands are up there in quality of venue (never been to Bethel)
    Being able to go to the beach during the day and seeing DMB at night is what makes WPB special, but it's certainly not in the 2nd tier. I think DC belongs in that same tier as SPAC and Alpine.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 06:01 AM   #14800
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    Chicago Ants are so lucky that they're a 3 hour or under drive from not one, but two destination venues.
    Lets not get carried away, no one is been more lucky than northeast fans when it comes to seeing this band.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 07:01 AM   #14801
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    Lets not get carried away, no one is been more lucky than northeast fans when it comes to seeing this band.
    Partly why I’ll never leave the northeast. For most bands, not only this one, I can hit a show at multiple places in NYC, Philly, DC, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Upstate NY, North Virginia, CT, Boston if I REALLY want to.

For DMB, if I had the money and really wanted to I could hit Jones Beach, Camden, Holmdel, Bristow, Bethel, Burgettstown, Columbia, MSG, Syracuse, Toronto, VA Beach
    Old 06-28-2022, 07:53 AM   #14802
    Whiteyxc514

My Tour Central Stats

https://twitter.com/jambase/status/1...yNuZEU-GU7ipQw

Sounds like a cool concept. Nice to see DMB getting the first episode!
    Old 06-28-2022, 08:12 AM   #14803
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Scott Van Pelt with a DIDO reference this morning-

https://youtu.be/7hkLGbPF4Ug
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 08:16 AM   #14804
    ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I think anyone living in the northeast through the midwest get pretty lucky every year when it comes to shows. Even living in southeast Michigan, we have: home venue outside Detroit, Blossom 2 hours, DC 3.5 hours, Cincinnat/Chicago/Pittsburgh all 4 hours, Toronto 4.5 hours, Alpine 5 hours.

Not all of those stops got shows this year, but they are definitely regulars. Toss in Fall/Winter stops in the area, and we get more than our fair share.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 08:56 AM   #14805
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    Scott Van Pelt with a DIDO reference this morning-

https://youtu.be/7hkLGbPF4Ug
    Nicely done SVP, ha
    camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 09:06 AM   #14806
    Whiteyxc514

My Tour Central Stats

I think that was actually Kevin Connors, not SVP. I’ve heard Kevin make that DMB reference before. And I remember him making one on Sportscenter after UVA won the College World Series a few years ago. Cool either way!
    Old 06-28-2022, 09:11 AM   #14807
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    I think that was actually Kevin Connors, not SVP. I’ve heard Kevin make that DMB reference before. And I remember him making one on Sportscenter after UVA won the College World Series a few years ago. Cool either way!
    Oh got it. They put SVP in the thumbnail for some reason haha
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 10:02 AM   #14808
    Sabres914

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    Blossom and Woodlands are up there in quality of venue (never been to Bethel)
    Being able to go to the beach during the day and seeing DMB at night is what makes WPB special, but it's certainly not in the 2nd tier. I think DC belongs in that same tier as SPAC and Alpine.
    Just check out this pic of Bethel!

http://dmbalmanac.com/VenueStats.aspx?vid=1735
    Old 06-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #14809
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I feel like WPB "fell off" over the last decade? I feel that AM and mods used to do parties there, etc. and now it's just a special two nigher but not a top tier? Just my thoughts.

A - Best of the Best) Gorge, (Charlottesville for historical value)
    B - Top Tier Destinations) SPAC, Alpine, Deer Creek
    C - Top but not as much as above) WPB, Camden, Denver
    D - Famous venues that lost 2 nights, etc. but still highly regarded) Hartford, Mansfield, Bethel ?

Random thoughts.
    Old 06-28-2022, 10:26 AM   #14810
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I was thinking about this the other day, putting Halloween aside, Dave hasn't really written many breakup/end of relationship songs.

Sure, we have say goodbye, but that's more of a one night stand song. And stay or leave could be interpreted in a variety of ways.

Is The Stone about a breakup or Judas and Jesus? I've seen it interpreted both ways.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 10:41 AM   #14811
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day, putting Halloween aside, Dave hasn't really written many breakup/end of relationship songs.

Sure, we have say goodbye, but that's more of a one night stand song. And stay or leave could be interpreted in a variety of ways.

Is The Stone about a breakup or Judas and Jesus? I've seen it interpreted both ways.
    He needs to release Early Home and Drive me Away. Both seem to have those themes.
    Old 06-28-2022, 10:49 AM   #14812
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Now that I think about it, The Space Between might actually be the best example of him writing for the breakup/end of relationship theme. Although, I suppose you could say that there is still some hopefullness in there. But I have always attributed it to a relationship that just can't work for whatever reason.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 11:09 AM   #14813
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The Riff maybe
    Old 06-28-2022, 11:24 AM   #14814
    JeffsGoatee
    FMR Hertz Gold Member

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    The Riff maybe
    Love The Riff, always felt like that was a song about staying together despite the ups and downs of being together for a long time.

"Maybe" seems to work.
    Old 06-28-2022, 11:31 AM   #14815
    JboDaveGuyYNK

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I feel like WPB "fell off" over the last decade? I feel that AM and mods used to do parties there, etc. and now it's just a special two nigher but not a top tier? Just my thoughts.

D - Famous venues that lost 2 nights, etc. but still highly regarded) Hartford, Mansfield, Bethel ?

Random thoughts.
    I don't know much about Camden but good stuff here. As others have said, I also love reading/ commenting on this topic.

It is incredible how many shows one could hit in the northeast. My two trips this year will be Gorge (10.5hr drive) and Denver (quick 1 hr flight) and I hope this becomes the norm for me moving forward. It was cool last year when they were spread out more tho. Far away but lucky they are both top tier venues.

Oh and the SLC show, please bring that back more than once every 6 years.
    JboDaveGuyYNK is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 11:32 AM   #14816
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Stay or Leave is the end of the Crush relationship (at least that's kind of how I've looked at/listened to it). Best break-up song Dave's written, one of the best ever.

That amazing relationship that even others adored ending reluctantly, but definitively...oozes regret.

Last edited by grilldanmo; 06-28-2022 at 11:33 AM.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 11:44 AM   #14817
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Random thoughts.
    Going to correct this for you (all imo of course)
    1A: Gorge
    1B: Red Rocks, C-ville
    2: MSG, SPAC, Alpine, DC

A lot more venues used to get 2 nights besides Hartford & Mansfield (and I think DC got 3 a few x): Shoreline, Woodlands, Pittsburgh
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 12:13 PM   #14818
    SweetUpAndJane
    Torching time...

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffsGoatee View Post
    R&R has managed to evade me up until this weekend, a highlight I won’t forget and Joe’s solo was tasty AF.
    Congrats!
    Old 06-28-2022, 12:15 PM   #14819
    SweetUpAndJane
    Torching time...

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Getting to hear Jane in the pit in Toronto; saw after the show it was a late add to the set. Can always wonder if Stefan saw my tweet with the hashtag in it beforehand haha. That was the first time I've ever physically gotten the impact of a song. My friend recorded it for me and I think that'll be my favorite DMB experience forever.
    Old 06-28-2022, 12:20 PM   #14820
    Erich
    Handsome & Genocidal

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Boyd has been taking up a lot of real estate in my head lately. I find his story really compelling. 25 years in the band, and right now he's barely more than a footnote. I'm not talking about the sexual stuff that was settled out of court. I have my opinions on that, but it's regardless of what I've been thinking of recently.

He just dropped what he calls one of his "to" new songs, called "Sinnamon Spice", which sounds like he's a very VERY background featured artist on a Soundcloud rap song. No really, it's a rap song on Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/boyd_tinsley/sinnamon_spice

It's not terrible. It's not good. I actually don't mind the distorted sound on the violin. It sounds like it will be forgotten.

And that is what I've been thinking about a lot the last few days. Someone on that Boyd + Tribute band thread said his other song "Lay My Head Down" sounded really sad, like a call for help, and I can't help but agree with that to an extent. I still stand by my assessment that that song is dog shit to a laughable degree, but the more I search out stuff about Boyd, the more I agree with that description. It's actually depressingly sad.

Is something... wrong with Boyd? I don't mean recently, I mean, over the course of the last 30 years. Talk to other band members and you'll get wildly different interactions, but Boyd just seems like the type of person that would be like

"... do you like music? I have written a music. Do you want to hear True Reflections?"

And... not much more than that.