Boyd sitting in with DMTB? - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-22-2022, 06:40 AM   #91
DaveHead77
Saw LS teased 2x n 2wks

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Boyd sitting in with DMTB?

But how about Boyd’s new song (w/video) Lay My Head Down. Whew man those Boyd-hug-parties were fucking strange.
Nashville '00, '04, ‘19, & ‘23, D&T 2x ‘17, Cincy '07 & ‘21, Charlotte '08, Louisville '08, Charlottesville N2 '09, ‘16, & N2 ‘18, Deer Creek N2 '09, DM in Nashville '10, Atlanta '10 - '12, '14 - '16, & ‘18 -‘19, ‘23, Raleigh ‘18 and ‘21 - ‘22, Memphis ‘19 & ‘23.
DaveHead77 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-22-2022, 06:51 AM   #92
    Aarondelt
    Dude.

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead77 View Post
    But how about Boyd’s new song (w/video) Lay My Head Down. Whew man those Boyd-hug-parties were fucking strange.
    It’s got the Justin Vernon vibe to it. Ha, I don’t hate it.
    Aarondelt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2022, 07:58 AM   #93
    Gunz

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I honestly feel that the passing of roi coupled with a drug (rx or not) addiction fueled that narnia weirdness. It’s the only time a member of this band had been readily accessible. I legit think he wanted to hear everyone’s thank you’s to try to lift him up.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2022, 08:27 AM   #94
    DaveHead77
    Saw LS teased 2x n 2wks

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    I honestly feel that the passing of roi coupled with a drug (rx or not) addiction fueled that narnia weirdness. It’s the only time a member of this band had been readily accessible. I legit think he wanted to hear everyone’s thank you’s to try to lift him up.
    I remember when he was going around showing off his “faces in the mirror”documentary, they came to Nashville. And unfortunately, in retrospect, we hugged and I was telling him how I became a fan and some personal Virginia memories etc. and he said nothing in response to any of that. He just hugged me for an extended period of time and took a picture with me and that was it. I don’t know if he was intoxicated or what, but I thought it was just very strange and a-typical.
    Nashville '00, '04, ‘19, & ‘23, D&T 2x ‘17, Cincy '07 & ‘21, Charlotte '08, Louisville '08, Charlottesville N2 '09, ‘16, & N2 ‘18, Deer Creek N2 '09, DM in Nashville '10, Atlanta '10 - '12, '14 - '16, & ‘18 -‘19, ‘23, Raleigh ‘18 and ‘21 - ‘22, Memphis ‘19 & ‘23.

Last edited by DaveHead77; 06-22-2022 at 08:28 AM. Reason: typo
    Old 06-22-2022, 08:32 AM   #95
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I remember when he was going around showing off his “faces in the mirror”documentary, they came to Nashville. And unfortunately, in retrospect, we hugged and I was telling him how I became a fan and some personal Virginia memories etc. and he said nothing in response to any of that. He just hugged me for an extended period of time and took a picture with me and that was it. I don’t know if he was intoxicated or what, but I thought it was just very strange and a-typical.
    I think that’s everyone’s experience, myself included. Yes very strange. I think he was in a very very bad spot.
    Old 06-22-2022, 08:46 AM   #96
    SeanMH
    GoWokeGoBroke

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

^ he and other celebrities hear that kind of stuff and stories all day everyday when they meet fans, so he probably just ignored or usually they say "thank you", etc.

plus, BTs focus at that time was probably only "faces in the mirror" and promotions with that

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klize17 View Post
    Last nights was the best version of Satellite I have ever heard.
    SeanMH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2022, 12:32 PM   #97
    Erich
    Handsome & Genocidal

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh holy crap this is really really bad. The music reminds me of like... if Macklemore and Moby threw away a really bad collaboration, and Boyd took it out of the trash and splooged on it with his violin.

The video is over 7 minutes of fucking cringe. Holy mother of hemorrhaging dog shit. This is just really really rough.

Man, and I thought the new OAR was laughably bad. I mean, it still is, but holy shit. Boyd is really having a rough time
    Old 06-22-2022, 01:59 PM   #98
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Boyd's new song isn't really bad per se, it's just sort of sad. Like, it feels like a reflection right into his inter state at this time, and while it's not something I'd think I'd throw on to listen to all the time, I applaud him for trying something new.

I hope you are feeling better BT.
    Old 06-22-2022, 03:37 PM   #99
    sumcraw929

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    Oh holy crap this is really really bad. The music reminds me of like... if Macklemore and Moby threw away a really bad collaboration, and Boyd took it out of the trash and splooged on it with his violin.

The video is over 7 minutes of fucking cringe. Holy mother of hemorrhaging dog shit. This is just really really rough.

Man, and I thought the new OAR was laughably bad. I mean, it still is, but holy shit. Boyd is really having a rough time
    Nice to see I'm not the only one who can't stand the awful direction OAR is heading in. Like when Zac Brown tried doing EDM. Not even close to good music.
    sumcraw929 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2022, 08:37 PM   #100
    shawn o

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Boyd Tinsley has now officially released more music than the Dave Matthews band since 2018.
    Old 06-22-2022, 09:44 PM   #101
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I met Boyd in a deli parking lot on Long Island after Jones Beach at 2 AM. He wasn't promoting a movie. He tweeted his bus would be there and a bunch of people came, and he talked to and hugged everyone there.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2022, 03:00 AM   #102
    hopewelljones

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

love this
    hopewelljones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2022, 08:41 AM   #103
    MarvinBerry

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

This new song has some Watchtower vibes (same chords)
    MarvinBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2022, 09:17 AM   #104
    alec

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Someone should check on Boyd. I got serious cry for help vibes from that video.
    alec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #105
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanbrutus View Post
    Boyd's new song isn't really bad per se, it's just sort of sad. Like, it feels like a reflection right into his inter state at this time, and while it's not something I'd think I'd throw on to listen to all the time, I applaud him for trying something new.

I hope you are feeling better BT.
    This is very generous.

It sounds like something he put together with GarageBand loops. And for whatever reason, medical, drug induced, or lack of proficiency, he can't play the violin.

His solo album was garbage. Crystal Garden was garbage. His post-DMB output is garbage. I'm not sure why people make excuses for his lack of artistic merit outside of DMB. He's just not a great musician or songwriter.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2022, 09:57 AM   #106
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Close this thread. Worst case scenario this person is in a bad place, in need of help/support, and is instead being ridiculed. I am not suggesting people praise him or even forgive him if they believe the worst of what is said about him. But some of the comments in these threads are nothing more than an online piling on/bullying of another person who is potentially in need of help, with no good intention.
    You're living in an imaginary mental prison of your own creation.
    dmbdreamingtree is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2022, 09:57 AM   #107
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainDog1980 View Post
    This is very generous.

It sounds like something he put together with GarageBand loops. And for whatever reason, medical, drug induced, or lack of proficiency, he can't play the violin.

His solo album was garbage. Crystal Garden was garbage. His post-DMB output is garbage. I'm not sure why people make excuses for his lack of artistic merit outside of DMB. He's just not a great musician or songwriter.
    "What a massive insult to _____"

RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2022, 10:36 AM   #108
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is very generous.

Idk man I don’t disagree with you. Music is artistic expression, and while I don’t think I’d return to this song, I do think it’s a pretty clear view into his headspace now. Besides, I’ve heard people make some bangers in GarageBand. Not saying this is one of them, but you can at least feel the intent with it. As with anything, your mileage may vary. I didn’t consider it good, but it’s not the extreme garbage other people were saying it is and joking about it.

To me it’s a song from a man who has many demons to face still. I don’t think Boyd was ever really a musician outside of DMB, and from the look at his compositional skills on this song, that still seems to be true. I hope he finds his peace.
    Old 06-23-2022, 11:58 AM   #109
    alec

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree View Post
    Close this thread. Worst case scenario this person is in a bad place, in need of help/support, and is instead being ridiculed. I am not suggesting people praise him or even forgive him if they believe the worst of what is said about him. But some of the comments in these threads are nothing more than an online piling on/bullying of another person who is potentially in need of help, with no good intention.
    Agreed. I am genuinely worried about Boyd and wouldn’t be surprised if he or people he knows looks at these boards.
    alec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2022, 12:10 PM   #110
    Erich
    Handsome & Genocidal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Crystal Garden was garbage.
    I've been honestly trying to find ANYTHING to listen to with Crystal Garden with Boyd. Their daytime talk circuit when they were playing Devil Woman, I actually enjoyed that. The studio version of the song doesn't have Boyd, so I find the whole nature of the band to be really really weird. Like, interviews and talk shows he goes out of his way to say that it's his band, and no one gives the other players time of day... but he doesn't do anything except jam out on the fiddle when live. Like, Mycle Wastman, who has a decent voice... no one talks to him.

Honestly, even if they're collectively crap... I feel bad for Crystal Garden just because they're weighed down by Boyd. After the allegations the band just noped out of existence. I honestly can't find anything about them at the current time. I'm honestly curious.
    Old 06-23-2022, 12:54 PM   #111
    Erich
    Handsome & Genocidal

My Tour Central Stats

crystalgardenband.com is up for sale. It's pretty cheap too, at about $60.

Oh wait, that's $60/m? For how many months? THIRTY SIX FUCKING MONTHS!? $2,195!?
    Old 06-23-2022, 01:29 PM   #112
    RainDog1980

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanbrutus View Post
    Idk man I don’t disagree with you. Music is artistic expression, and while I don’t think I’d return to this song, I do think it’s a pretty clear view into his headspace now. Besides, I’ve heard people make some bangers in GarageBand. Not saying this is one of them, but you can at least feel the intent with it. As with anything, your mileage may vary. I didn’t consider it good, but it’s not the extreme garbage other people were saying it is and joking about it.

To me it’s a song from a man who has many demons to face still. I don’t think Boyd was ever really a musician outside of DMB, and from the look at his compositional skills on this song, that still seems to be true. I hope he finds his peace.
    I think the reactions have been so harsh because it is Boyd, and we're looking for DMB-like stuff from him and that's not going to happen.

I went back and listened to it again absent any expectation, it reminds me of a movie soundtrack. I think it's the video that adds the layer of "wtf" to it. I also get that sense of sadness from it and after reading through his Twitter feed and other social media he's promoting, I am getting the sense that he is very alone.

Btw, I wasn't shitting on Garageband, I love it!
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2022, 02:05 PM   #113
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

People jumped on my case for saying Tim isn't the guitar player everyone here thinks he is, but with Boyd that's ok.
    Old 06-24-2022, 11:10 AM   #114
    DaveHead77
    Saw LS teased 2x n 2wks

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sumcraw929 View Post
    Nice to see I'm not the only one who can't stand the awful direction OAR is heading in. Like when Zac Brown tried doing EDM. Not even close to good music.
    So I don’t waste my time listening to O.A.R. like I did 15 years ago, what have they changed about their band/music?
    Old 06-24-2022, 11:34 AM   #115
    Erich
    Handsome & Genocidal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So I don’t waste my time listening to O.A.R. like I did 15 years ago, what have they changed about their band/music?
    Dude. Just take 3:30 and listen to their newest song. I think it's terrible, but that's just my subjective opinion. I mean, if you like the song unironically, then that's cool.

But holy shit with this song.

Remember back in the day when people were complaining about the end of American Baby being cut for the radio, because that last bit sounded the most like the DMB we remembered from pre-Everyday? There's no part in this song that makes me go "oh yeah, that's the O.A.R. I grew up with". It's like Marc Roberge was like "... what's the now sound that will give us a top 40 hit", and then someone outright fucking lied to him, but he ran with it anyway. That's what O.A.R. sounds like now. It's downright fascinating how terrible they are right now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    People jumped on my case for saying Tim isn't the guitar player everyone here thinks he is, but with Boyd that's ok.
    Yes, we get it, you want to be acknowledged.

Last edited by Erich; 06-24-2022 at 11:35 AM.
    Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2022, 12:51 PM   #116
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I view Boyd not showing up for a sit in with the tribute band as a good thing. It likely means he still has people around him objective enough to say "dude, that sounds like a really bad idea", and Boyd is in a healthy enough space to listen.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2022, 04:11 PM   #117
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
    I view Boyd not showing up for a sit in with the tribute band as a good thing. It likely means he still has people around him objective enough to say "dude, that sounds like a really bad idea", and Boyd is in a healthy enough space to listen.
    Or it means he’s too wasted to go anywhere.
    Old 06-24-2022, 08:44 PM   #118
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Dude. Just take 3:30 and listen to their newest song. I think it's terrible, but that's just my subjective opinion. I mean, if you like the song unironically, then that's cool.

But holy shit with this song.

Remember back in the day when people were complaining about the end of American Baby being cut for the radio, because that last bit sounded the most like the DMB we remembered from pre-Everyday? There's no part in this song that makes me go "oh yeah, that's the O.A.R. I grew up with". It's like Marc Roberge was like "... what's the now sound that will give us a top 40 hit", and then someone outright fucking lied to him, but he ran with it anyway. That's what O.A.R. sounds like now. It's downright fascinating how terrible they are right now.

Yes, we get it, you want to be acknowledged.
    By someone like you? Please….
    Old 06-24-2022, 08:47 PM   #119
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Old 06-25-2022, 03:33 AM   #120
    DMB1JW

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

I wish Boyd the best...

As far as the new OAR single (completely off topic I know)...I don't mind it actually. They are managed by Bruce Flohr as well...So if you wan't to complain also ask Bruce where the new DMB album is??? LOL
    DMB1JW is offline   Reply With Quote