If this was the next album, where would it rank for you? - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-13-2017, 05:48 AM   #91
Gravedigger789

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: If this was the next album, where would it rank for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
Sugar Will...
Yeah that's like saying Crazy Easy will be a shoe-in for this album, too, just because it had revised lyrics and song structure.

Meanwhile I'd love the idea of a brand new album accompanied by a B side disc with all the '06 songs and any newer ones that didn't make the album cut.

Think Little Red Bird disc on steroids. It could happen...
I will when I can
Gravedigger789 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-13-2017, 05:52 AM   #92
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gravedigger789 View Post
    Yeah that's like saying Crazy Easy will be a shoe-in for this album, too, just because it had revised lyrics and song structure.

Meanwhile I'd love the idea of a brand new album accompanied by a B side disc with all the '06 songs and any newer ones that didn't make the album cut.

Think Little Red Bird disc on steroids. It could happen...
    Sugar Will is unlikely but it's the only old song that has any chance. It has been played recently, fairly regularly, and with all new structure. That doesn't apply to any other old song.

I think it's most likely we get Samurai Cop and 11 new ones on the album and maybe a bonus disc of the other new songs.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2017, 06:01 AM   #93
    Gravedigger789

Shows Seen: 42

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Sugar Will is unlikely but it's the only old song that has any chance. It has been played recently, fairly regularly, and with all new structure. That doesn't apply to any other old song.

I think it's most likely we get Samurai Cop and 11 new ones on the album and maybe a bonus disc of the other new songs.
    I see what you're saying, but that logic could also be applied to Break Free. It was played 8x vs. Sugar Will's 12 in 2016, had a little restructuring and a new jam/outro, etc. All of that said I couldn't imagine seeing Break Free on this new album either, UNLESS it was on this bonus disc of unreleased tunes.
    I will when I can
    Gravedigger789 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #94
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gravedigger789 View Post
    I see what you're saying, but that logic could also be applied to Break Free. It was played 8x vs. Sugar Will's 12 in 2016, had a little restructuring and a new jam/outro, etc. All of that said I couldn't imagine seeing Break Free on this new album either, UNLESS it was on this bonus disc of unreleased tunes.
    I suppose Break Free would also qualify given those parameters. I believe Sugar Will was worked on in studio in recent past album sessions. I could be wrong though. If I had to put money on tracklisting the only song I'd be comfortable betting on would be Samurai Cop.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #95
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
    Let's hope those songs went slam dunk in the recycle bin and the new Dave-Carter stuff is way better.
    Bro - you know what... eggs ARE sweet!
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #96
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrippingCrushCT View Post
    Aren't the most popular DMB releases filled with road tested songs? I think someone on here has a list of all the songs that were road tested before they were released.
    I think his point is that as much as people want to see songs like Shotgun, Idea of You, Crazy Easy, Sugar Will etc., make an album, after years of hype it won't meet fan's expectations. For example, people have been wanting to see Sugar Will on an album since 2004. After 13 years, and the current band lineup, most would probably be unhappy with how it came out in the studio.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #97
    Luv4Roi

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

It would rank lower than anything they've ever put out, and likely one of the worst albums ever to exist in music period.
    Old 09-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #98
    TrippingCrushCT

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I think his point is that as much as people want to see songs like Shotgun, Idea of You, Crazy Easy, Sugar Will etc., make an album, after years of hype it won't meet fan's expectations. For example, people have been wanting to see Sugar Will on an album since 2004. After 13 years, and the current band lineup, most would probably be unhappy with how it came out in the studio.
    People are going to complain regardless of what they release. If they release an album like the OP said it would make people unhappy too, just read this thread. Wouldn't people rather have songs they like released and thus get more playing time at shows?
    TrippingCrushCT is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #99
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would still rather be slightly disappointed in the production of those songs on an album than adding more shitty songs to the catalog.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #100
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Such a fickle fanbase hahahaha. To clarify, I was just putting my spin on what I assumed Hilly was implying. I am all for the band recording older songs that we all know we love, but like many have said, I doubt that's going to happen. If anything I'd be more interested in hearing recordings of those songs that may have been attempted years ago as a b-side boxset. Like Pearl Jam's Lost Dogs.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #101
    theflower

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

i really like the vast majority of the newest stuff, with the exception of be yourself. a more laid back, melancholy, reflective, somber, fall/winter-feeling album would be just fine with me. of course they need to capture their sound the way they did in the 90s for it ever to really resonate with me. literally nothing since BTCS has sounded right to me from a recording perspective and that includes BW which is too slick for me and AFTW which to me, sounds like its trying to be something its not. Much of AFTW sounds hollow and sparse, even unemotional, like how busted stuff sounds to me.... never is that more true then on bbn, the riff and if only which simply do not sound right to me. the nuance and layering of their previous work has not been captured again, even by 2012 lillywhite. regardless, if they somehow were able to record DotHS, B&BB, bismarck, samurai, virginia, bob law, here on out, in a manner similar to the way they recorded in the 90s, with more passion and emotion than what they did with AFTW, i would really love it. i also happen to really agree with the lyrical content of a lot of those songs. my two cents.
    theflower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #102
    alec

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theflower View Post
    i really like the vast majority of the newest stuff, with the exception of be yourself. a more laid back, melancholy, reflective, somber, fall/winter-feeling album would be just fine with me. of course they need to capture their sound the way they did in the 90s for it ever to really resonate with me. literally nothing since BTCS has sounded right to me from a recording perspective and that includes BW which is too slick for me and AFTW which to me, sounds like its trying to be something its not. Much of AFTW sounds hollow and sparse, even unemotional, like how busted stuff sounds to me.... never is that more true then on bbn, the riff and if only which simply do not sound right to me. the nuance and layering of their previous work has not been captured again, even by 2012 lillywhite. regardless, if they somehow were able to record DotHS, B&BB, bismarck, samurai, virginia, bob law, here on out, in a manner similar to the way they recorded in the 90s, with more passion and emotion than what they did with AFTW, i would really love it. i also happen to really agree with the lyrical content of a lot of those songs. my two cents.
    I agree with this post 100%
    alec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2017, 07:22 PM   #103
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Just read the OP album again.

That would be not good. Not good at all.
    Old 09-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #104
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This would definitely be a concern for me.

Quote:
    Such a fickle fanbase hahahaha. To clarify, I was just putting my spin on what I assumed Hilly was implying. I am all for the band recording older songs that we all know we love, but like many have said, I doubt that's going to happen. If anything I'd be more interested in hearing recordings of those songs that may have been attempted years ago as a b-side boxset. Like Pearl Jam's Lost Dogs.

So I agree with this. If Sugar Will was recorded prior to the Batson sessions, give me that.
    Old 09-13-2017, 07:26 PM   #105
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

this thread
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #106
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    I would still rather be slightly disappointed in the production of those songs on an album than adding more shitty songs to the catalog.
    I don't know if I agree.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't want shitty songs. But if they go in and record all those songs and it sounds like Hello Again on Stand Up, or worse... that would be heartbreaking (if you'll permit some hyperbole.)

On the other hand, if they put out an album with all those songs, maybe they'll fucking play them live.
    Old 09-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #107
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

This would be cool with me

Album:
    Good Good Time
    Crazy Easy
    Bob Law
    Here On Out
    Kill The King
    Black and Blue Bird
    Idea of You
    Break Free
    Sugar Will
    Bismarck
    Samurai Cop
    Shotgun

Bonus Disc
    Death on the High Seas
    Break For It
    Virginia In The Rain
    Dream So Real
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 AM   #108
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

What makes anyone think DMB is producing an album? Dave said they are? ok
    Old 09-14-2017, 06:24 AM   #109
    jrkarger

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I've echoed this sentiment for a while. Everyone has their go to live versions of the aforementioned songs. As a result, it they record them in the studio and they don't sound exactly like everyone's favorite live version people are going to be disappointed.

It puts the band in a tough spot, IMO. I've said before look at Hello Again, Joyride and Cornbread. They all sound like garbage on their album versions.

Quote:
    This is a good counterpoint though. If the album has all the old "road tested" songs on it then at least those songs will be in heavy rotation for the corresponding tour.
    Old 09-14-2017, 06:32 AM   #110
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    I don't know if I agree.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't want shitty songs. But if they go in and record all those songs and it sounds like Hello Again on Stand Up, or worse... that would be heartbreaking (if you'll permit some hyperbole.)

On the other hand, if they put out an album with all those songs, maybe they'll fucking play them live.
    Thats the kicker for me. I know im not gonna be wowed by any album they put out.. so Id rather not have a bunch of new songs I dont wanna hear live.

Quote:
    Old 09-14-2017, 06:34 AM   #111
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    What makes anyone think DMB is producing an album? Dave said they are? ok
    is this a real post?

Dave said they expect to have something out by early next year. Hes not just gonna say that to a newspaper with no real intentions. The way he spoke about it made it seem like the album is already mostly done outside of a couple songs.

Quote:
    Old 09-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #112
    Cobo

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Wouldn't even give that two or three listens like AFTW.
    Cobo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #113
    spider-man

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I would prefer new songs, with possibly a few of the recent songs that we have heard (maybe Samurai Cop, Bismark, and BlackBlueBird). We already have plenty of good live versions of the older songs, and I would hate to see any great older songs receive the Hello Again on Stand Up treatment.

I'm tired of always hearing Jimi and Seven at shows, let's get some fresh songs in the mix!
    spider-man is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #114
    resumesomething

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I would buy the album. I would buy the super deluxe box set, even if I wasn't wild about the track list.

Why all the Plastic Girl hate? I also like Dream Girl, so my opinion may be suspect, but I like the song. It's fluffy and sounds like filler (like If Only), but the end of it is great. I'm assuming the lyrics would be better on a studio version. Either way, I'd be happy to see it on the album.
    resumesomething is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #115
    chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by resumesomething View Post
    I would buy the album. I would buy the super deluxe box set, even if I wasn't wild about the track list.

Why all the Plastic Girl hate? I also like Dream Girl, so my opinion may be suspect, but I like the song. It's fluffy and sounds like filler (like If Only), but the end of it is great. I'm assuming the lyrics would be better on a studio version. Either way, I'd be happy to see it on the album.
    Dreamgirl is a Beethovian symphony compared to plastic girl
    chrisjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #116
    jane88

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I had a meet and greet with Dave in 2014 and asked him about Sugar Will. He said then that he likes the song and they had been working on it in the studio recently. Knowing them though there is probably no chance of it making the album especially since that was 3 years ago.
    jane88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #117
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    This would be cool with me

Album:
    Good Good Time
    Crazy Easy
    Bob Law
    Here On Out
    Kill The King
    Black and Blue Bird
    Idea of You
    Break Free
    Sugar Will
    Bismarck
    Samurai Cop
    Shotgun

Bonus Disc
    Death on the High Seas
    Break For It
    Virginia In The Rain
    Dream So Real
    Swap Bob Law and Break For It and I'm in!

IOY is the first single.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #118
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by resumesomething View Post

This made me chuckle.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2017, 06:23 PM   #119
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    is this a real post?

Dave said they expect to have something out by early next year. Hes not just gonna say that to a newspaper with no real intentions. The way he spoke about it made it seem like the album is already mostly done outside of a couple songs.
    No, it's a fake post and I'm a fake user. Do you know how many times we've heard they're working on a new album over the last two years? Like many people on Ants have said, when it's up for sale, I'll believe it. I really don't care what he says in some newspaper article...it was probably fake anyway.
    Old 09-15-2017, 07:20 AM   #120
    chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    No, it's a fake post and I'm a fake user. Do you know how many times we've heard they're working on a new album over the last two years? Like many people on Ants have said, when it's up for sale, I'll believe it. I really don't care what he says in some newspaper article...it was probably fake anyway.
    Your logic sucks. How many times has dave said "yeah were getting in the studio this fall and hopefully have it done by the beginning of next year, oh yeah and ive been working with carter recently on some stuff too"

nobody cares what you think. crawl back into a closet with the rest of the annoying naysayers that argue fucking everything just for the sake of being an annoying asshole.
    chrisjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote