Can't Stop - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #61
thehammer316
What a Beautiful Buzz

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Can't Stop

I'd say Can't Stop sucks but this is a fan site and that's not allowed!!!
thehammer316 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #62
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehammer316 View Post
    I'd say Can't Stop sucks but this is a fan site and that's not allowed!!!
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #63
    SteveLillywhite

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Slightly off topic: Blackjack fits in the same class with Can't Stop (in my opinion).
    SteveLillywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #64
    canes101190
    No Worries

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Song is fucking awful. Why out of everything they decide to reach back and bring this piece of shit back is beyond me. Terrible.
    canes101190 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #65
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by canes101190 View Post
    Song is fucking awful. Why out of everything they decide to reach back and bring this piece of shit back is beyond me. Terrible.
    Contrary to popular belief, there are very, very few DMB songs I actually dislike. Can't Stop is easily at the top of that short list.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #66
    SteveLillywhite

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

How is this for a Gorge N3 encore idea:

------------------
    Can't Stop (15 second fake)>>> (people begin to head for exits)
    Where Are You Going (30 second fake)(Dave sings "where are you going, with your long face pulling down..." to the people hurrying out of the venue to beat traffic)>>>>
    Last Stop

Would you like to see this?
    SteveLillywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #67
    clive bixby

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveLillywhite View Post
    Slightly off topic: Blackjack fits in the same class with Can't Stop (in my opinion).
    as fucking awful songs
    clive bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #68
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

------------------
    Where Are You Going (30 second fake)(Dave sings "where are you going, with your long face pulling down..." to the people hurrying out of the venue to beat traffic)>>>>
    Last Stop

Seems pretty stupid
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #69
    BigEyedGooch
    MoreTalkingHeadsCovers

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

------------------
    Last Stop

How about instead of wasting our time with this garbage he pulls his pants down, pops a squat and spends 45 seconds shitting onto the microphone? It would also serve to accurately convey the feelings he no doubt harbors over bringing back Last Stop after caving into constant fan chants and Stefan's pleading.
    Old 07-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #70
    Dave&Tim41

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

in the end, its only five minutes.
    Dave&Tim41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #71
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave&Tim41 View Post
    in the end, its only five minutes.

i'd rather the show be 5 minutes shorter than have a 5 minute lul of boredom waiting for a song to end.
    Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #72
    BigEyedGooch
    MoreTalkingHeadsCovers

My Tour Central Stats

The biggest problem dave has had since 04 is playing half-assed, barely formed songs that he never took the time to just sit down and fucking finish. Not one road released song since 04 has even approached completion. '04, '06, '10...none of the songs released over the past 7 years have ever received anything close to coherent, set lyrics. Even the music from the 06 songs still sound embarrassing sloppy most of the time. Anything since then cannot be called anything more than a noodle or a glorified tease; nothing more than a little snippet of half-mumbled lyrics and basic chords...

...And then there is Blackjack. arguably the only piece of music from the past few years that comes anywhere near to being classified as an actual song. and it embodies everything that's gone wrong with Dave's writing. I understand the band likes to work shit out on the road, but nothing ever gets improved upon, including 90% of the BW songs.

Somewhere along the line Dave decided he could play whatever the fuck he wants, at any level of completion, and the rest of us have to deal with it. His complacency and apathy has gotten steadily worse over the past few years, and it has started to spread to the rest of the classic catalog. Dave says he plays what he wants and we have to deal with it, but he uses pride to mask the fact that his abilities as a songwriter have deteriorated and his passion as a performer has waned. He used to have so much pride in being a disciplined lyricist and has a huge pool of musical creativity in the rest of the band that has gone untapped for quite some time now. Instead of telling us to kiss his ass maybe he should find a little bit of that discipline and pride he used to have in creating quality music.
    Old 07-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #73
    junt015

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    i'd rather the show be 5 minutes shorter than have a 5 minute lul of boredom waiting for a song to end.
    That seems crazy to me...There's still a pretty awesome Tim solo on it, and the actual music that's played is not bad. You people just have a problem with the lyrics.
    junt015 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #74
    granny_dmb41

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

The post up there ^^^ is 100% correct. Dave is just plain lazy and I personally blame the Everyday album. Before Everyday Dave was writing exceptionally great lyrics. Dreaming Tree, The Stone, etc. Then the half assed crap fest of Everyday came out and it was huge! By far their best opening record sales ever for a shit album. I guess Dave just realized that he is at the point where he can continuously put out crap (ex Stand Up) and he will still make a crazy amount of money. Why put forth the effort that drove him to alcoholism and depression during the Lillywhite Sessions when he can make just as much money being lazy? I miss the 90's...lol.
    granny_dmb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #75
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Everyday owns tho
    Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #76
    SmoothD41
    Hoosiers

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    In before SpotlightEyes tells op there isn't even a remote possibility that he leads a happy, stable life.

awesome.

SmoothD41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #77
    canes101190
    No Worries

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

This song is the only problem I have with DMB 2011. Other than this, theyve approached these fests very well.
    canes101190 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #78
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

The song I simply don't understand is Out of My Hands. Why, why, why would it ever be on this band's setlist is absolutely beyond my level of understanding
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 12:16 AM   #79
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba40 View Post
    The song I simply don't understand is Out of My Hands. Why, why, why would it ever be on this band's setlist is absolutely beyond my level of understanding
    maybe its fun to play rly rly bad songs sometimes; it would explain how much fun the band was having in 05-07, when they reached Peak Awfulness
    Old 07-11-2011, 12:19 AM   #80
    JimSweetWorld
    Waiting For Next Year

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I usually hate it when people are so negative about shit. But this song is fucking terrible.
    JimSweetWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 AM   #81
    tripeyedfish

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigEyedGooch View Post
    The biggest problem dave has had since 04 is playing half-assed, barely formed songs that he never took the time to just sit down and fucking finish. Not one road released song since 04 has even approached completion. '04, '06, '10...none of the songs released over the past 7 years have ever received anything close to coherent, set lyrics. Even the music from the 06 songs still sound embarrassing sloppy most of the time. Anything since then cannot be called anything more than a noodle or a glorified tease; nothing more than a little snippet of half-mumbled lyrics and basic chords...

...And then there is Blackjack. arguably the only piece of music from the past few years that comes anywhere near to being classified as an actual song. and it embodies everything that's gone wrong with Dave's writing. I understand the band likes to work shit out on the road, but nothing ever gets improved upon, including 90% of the BW songs.

Somewhere along the line Dave decided he could play whatever the fuck he wants, at any level of completion, and the rest of us have to deal with it. His complacency and apathy has gotten steadily worse over the past few years, and it has started to spread to the rest of the classic catalog. Dave says he plays what he wants and we have to deal with it, but he uses pride to mask the fact that his abilities as a songwriter have deteriorated and his passion as a performer has waned. He used to have so much pride in being a disciplined lyricist and has a huge pool of musical creativity in the rest of the band that has gone untapped for quite some time now. Instead of telling us to kiss his ass maybe he should find a little bit of that discipline and pride he used to have in creating quality music.
    Nailed it.. even some released songs (spaceman, alligator pie ) sound unfinished and feature alot of mumbling. It's really sad because those songs could've been good too. Blackjack is a song with a nice intro, followed by a trainwreck. Although I will give Dave credit on "sweet" , for a song supposedly written in a day and as simple as it is, it's waaay better than the above mentioned songs
    tripeyedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #82
    BigEyedGooch
    MoreTalkingHeadsCovers

My Tour Central Stats

When I hear Sweet, I think about the song "Hurricane" he teased/partial'd back with Tim a couple times in '09. Cool little riff, kind of a laid-back island vibe, with lyrics that seemed to be suggest a nostalgic reflection on love. Not new territory by any means, but both are efforts that have beauty in their simplicity as opposed to the spastic 5 minute seizure that is Blackjack. I'd much prefer to hear a quiet little tune like Sweet/Hurricane/Butterfly in the E1 slot rather than Some Devil/Sister or for the 20th time. Hell, I'd be happy to hear E1 Dive In again, it takes on a darker tone that fits the vibe of the song much better than how it's played full band currently. (Apparently they gave up on developing an instrumental section at the end of the song after two attempts in '09.)

For whatever reason Dave has gotten horrible at recognizing which ideas to explore further and which one's to axe, and as refreshing as it is to see Dave finally toying with the '06 songs again, it's pretty obvious that some of those should not have been resuscitated. They clearly have not aged well in their current form, and they show no signs of receiving any kind of overhaul. Dave was obviously not satisfied with the way they sounded 5 years ago or he would have kept playing them. Why bring them back now if they have no intention of improving them at all? To please the diehards? There is no way they are that out of touch with the fanbase. If the band is going to cave into fan pressure to bring back obscure live releases and rarities, why bring back the shitty ones? Yes Captain and Raven have returned, but I think the band knows we'd all prefer to hear something in the vein of YNK than Kill the King and Can't Stop. In the spirit of laziness I suppose its just easier to play the shit from '06 rather than digging a little deeper and pushing a little harder to nail a complex song.

Last edited by BigEyedGooch; 07-11-2011 at 01:27 AM.
    BigEyedGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 04:57 AM   #83
    webbo_5
    Baboon Farm Owner

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba40 View Post
    I agree but I'd still rather hear it than Can't Stop.
    Old 07-11-2011, 05:37 AM   #84
    dduncan6er
    Dirt Nap

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

There isn't even a remote possibility the OP leads a happy, stable life.
    Old 07-11-2011, 05:57 AM   #85
    crush0617

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Spoot made a good point. There are certain songs that maybe arent as great as others (Jimi Thing) but they have to be played because it is a song that possibly got somebody into the band. Two Step, Crush, Ants, Crash, Billies and countless others too.

my question is, why does cant stop have to be played at most stops too? the song is brutal. it gets no pop at shows, and surely the band must notice this. literally in AC, the place was dead during it. but once Two Step began, people were going nuts.
    I have to agree with this 100% I do not understand it. AS much as people rip on cornbread it gets a really good reaction for the most part. this song does not and its not like it has a personal meaning either.
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:35 AM   #86
    aronofsky41
    I am MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I don't have any interest in hearing this tune in NYC myself.
    aronofsky41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #87
    crashmpm
    Look here are we...

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Dear "hardcore" DMB fan,

No one in the band (minus Stefan's twitter feed) cares about what you want to hear.

They have always played what they wanted. Why do you think it took five years of people crying at concerts/message boards to get Last Stop to return (minimally).

Please learn from the past that this band will most certainly play Can't Stop, Cornbread, Sister, and You and Me at every caravan stop and stop complaining about it.

Can't Stop is a terrible song, I get it. However, it's not going anywhere so please get over it.

With Love,

-Another "hardcore" DMB fan.
    Setlist Game Top 10: 2
    crashmpm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #88
    mechman

Shows Seen: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Instead of campaigning to Stefan on twitter on what songs we want the band to play, we should tell him what songs we don't want them to play.
    mechman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:59 AM   #89
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashmpm View Post
    Dear "hardcore" DMB fan,

No one in the band (minus Stefan's twitter feed) cares about what you want to hear.

They have always played what they wanted. Why do you think it took five years of people crying at concerts/message boards to get Last Stop to return (minimally).

Please learn from the past that this band will most certainly play Can't Stop, Cornbread, Sister, and You and Me at every caravan stop and stop complaining about it.

Can't Stop is a terrible song, I get it. However, it's not going anywhere so please get over it.

With Love,

-Another "hardcore" DMB fan.
    No one is trying to change anything. This is a discussion about a song and nothing more. I think everyone in his or her right mind understands that the band plays what it wants.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #90
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Yea it's literally one of the worst songs they've ever played, ever. It might be worse than smooth rider. Dave has an artistic mind that far exceeds mine, there is no way he actually thinks that song is some sort of reflection of his talent. Or at least I refuse to believe he does haha. And like everyone else said...it's not a fan favorite, literally no type of fan really likes this song, from the drunk, to the hardcore.