Have you ever walked out in disgust on a show or encore based on the setlist? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
Coachman76
Unlikely to agree

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Have you ever walked out in disgust on a show or encore based on the setlist?

I'm sincerely curious and I can't remember a thread dealing with this in recent memory;

Have you ever walked out in disgust on a DMB show during an encore or furthermore during the set due to the lack of quality in a setlist?

I can honestly say I have walked from encores.

Most recently was Tampa 2014 when they broke out "Burning Down the House" to close an encore.

The setlist ended

SMLAM
________

You & Me
Burning Down The House

I came inches from walking on SMLAM as a set closer but I stuck it out. By "Burning" I had had enough.

The only other time I can remember is walking on a 2002 show again in Tampa where they teased Last Stop and broke into What You Are as the encore closer. As Soon as I saw Dave grab the electric I was down the ramp.

I'm just curious how many more ants are willing to admit they walked in disgust from an encore or even worse a bad setlist (and there are a few out there that I wasn't at but they would have made me think really hard about packing it in because they were such train wrecks)?

There is no shame or ridicule here, just curious.
We will never forget, we will always remember
Coachman76 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Have you ever walked out in disgust on a show or encore based on the setlist?

Many times. Hell, probably most times. I’m usually more interested in beating the crowd than I am hearing Stay or Tripping billies for the 20th time.

Then again, I leave almost everything early. The worst thing on the planet to me is being stuck in traffic, whether that be foot or vehicle.
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2018, 10:12 PM   #3
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Have you ever walked out in disgust on a show or encore based on the setlist?

Handful of times I’ve walked out during the encore. Most recent was Syracuse. The first note of Bayou and I was outta there.

I wouldn’t say I’ve ever walked out in disgust over a whole setlist though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #4
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Never in my 42 shows.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2018, 10:21 PM   #5
    jimmea217

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

United Center winter 2012 was crap. Then took over an hour to catch a cab in freezing level temps. Think that much be the only time. I was close to the stage on the floor and I'm thinking, I should've stayed in L.A. this week. Heh
    jimmea217 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 03:51 AM   #6
    ragesub311

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

When you have seen over 100 shows the amount of times you can sit through Billies, Ants, Stay, AATW etc. is limited.

Disgust? 5/22/1999 was a phenomenal show at the Vet with a mid-set Watchtower feat. Santana & when they encored with Ants (now for the second time in 3 nights) disgust wasn't even the word! Talk about letting the air out.

Now? It's better to beat the traffic!
    ragesub311 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 04:26 AM   #7
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Walked out multiple times during the encore.

Sometimes it’s just better to beat the traffic.
    Old 06-13-2018, 04:59 AM   #8
    too69short

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

I've walked out annoyed and disappointed quite a few times. I have also left to beat traffic when they are playing something I've heard far too many times since they enjoy playing mid week shows in Michigan.
    too69short is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 05:02 AM   #9
    paultwood1

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I've left twice during encore closer (both times Billies). I've heard it once in full, I would rather beat the traffic, especially in a place like ATL.
    paultwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 05:25 AM   #10
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

No, I've never left early. I've experienced some absolutely garbage encores, but I'm always afraid to leave because I just know that if I do, they'll come back out after Thank You and play a full #40 -> Halloween -> Machead or some shit.

I don't care about beating traffic anyway, as I enjoy the post tailgate.
    Old 06-13-2018, 05:33 AM   #11
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Bristow 13' after spoon. It was downpouring and I was tired of standing in the mud and rain for 2+ hours. One of the last times I've done lawn as well.

Hershey 09, first couple notes of AATW and I was just tired of the night; had been through a recent string of many aatw closers and was ready to bounce.

Those are the only two I've actively left early for.
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 05:33 AM   #12
    coombse
    Salty, as fuck.

Shows Seen: 93

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbetc View Post
    Handful of times I’ve walked out during the encore. Most recent was Syracuse. The first note of Bayou and I was outta there.

I wouldn’t say I’ve ever walked out in disgust over a whole setlist though.
    Almost walked out of N1 of SPAC 2005, but was with my brother so we stuck it out. I just drank and heckled. Seriously.

I called the Syracuse encore of You and Me> Bayou. But really hoped for something different, especially when the black electric guitar meant a tour debut of "So Right" instead of the Bayou I expected.

When the black electric came back out I grabbed my wife's hand and said, "Let's start out, let the kids fight for sticks and set lists" I hate that fucking album... and I was OK when the first notes were played.

Kids got a stick, buddy got the set.

**Survivor 2016 Columbia River Tragedy**
    coombse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 05:46 AM   #13
    Jonny Veritas 2

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I have never left an encore early in my 48 shows. I have seen some less than ideal ones (Sister > Cornbread in Cincy some years ago) but still never walked out on my favorite band of all time!

To each their own, and it's ones own personal decision whether or not to do so but I always think to myself, there will come a day when this band will not play live shows anymore and I'm not going to miss one note while they are still able and willing to create such a magical experience...
    Jonny Veritas 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 05:55 AM   #14
    pogoslis

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    Many times. Hell, probably most times. I’m usually more interested in beating the crowd than I am hearing Stay or Tripping billies for the 20th time.

Then again, I leave almost everything early. The worst thing on the planet to me is being stuck in traffic, whether that be foot or vehicle.
    this is how I am at 95% of venues. At Gorge... stay until the end bc there is no driving.

But if driving is involved I will likely leave at the start of the last song unless its a favorite song

pogoslis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 06:10 AM   #15
    jcs420x365
    Dave

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Absolutely. Usually to beat traffic, especially if at Nissan/Jiffy Lube. Never before start of last song with one exception: sat next to soundboard one night in Camden. Lady next to me has been bugging DMB staff for a setlist throughout the show and they came through during the encore break. I asked to take a peek and saw a Space Between / Shake Me Like a Monkey encore. Lady was incredulous but I couldn’t have gotten out of there faster, lol.

Leaving early did backfire for me once- Granny as 1st encore song. Heard the first notes of Tripping Billies and took off. Found out at my car that they ended up closing with Halloween, the first and so far only time I would have seen it. I had 2 small kids at the time and was exhausted, but given how rare a 3 song encore is, I’d probably do the same thing again today.
    9/11/99, 12/17/00, 9/5/03, 9/6/03, 12/15/03, 7/20/04, 7/21/04, 12/13/05, 6/24/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 8/7/07, 8/8/07, 8/11/07, 6/28/08, 8/8/09, 7/1/10, 11/6/10, 6/13/14, 6/14/14, 6/26/15, 6/27/15, 6/24/16, 6/25/16, 6/15/18, 6/16/18

Last edited by jcs420x365; 06-13-2018 at 06:14 AM.
    jcs420x365 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 06:22 AM   #16
    mandy18

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    No, I've never left early. I've experienced some absolutely garbage encores, but I'm always afraid to leave because I just know that if I do, they'll come back out after Thank You and play a full #40 -> Halloween -> Machead or some shit.

I don't care about beating traffic anyway, as I enjoy the post tailgate.
    I always assume this as well, but I have left early once or twice.
    I started to head towards the bathrooms during the encore at Starlake this year. I assumed we were getting a Stand Up or Bayou, so I bailed. Looking back on that one without regrets!

To the original question, I did stay through the 4/5/02 encore - Funny how time, space between & I did It. Definitely left that show disappointed.
    mandy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 06:29 AM   #17
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Sometimes we'll leave early just to beat traffic. It's generally easy to tell if it is the last song.

We did walk out at SPAC 2014 during the Squirm/Shake Me encore out of disgust though.

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 06:36 AM   #18
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 119

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

left early twice, confused once

gorge n3 '14. left after the stone, knew shake me was coming
    camden n2 '15. poured down rain, was completely soaked. left as encore started. terrible encore
    camden n2 '08. left very confused by the encore.
    Old 06-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #19
    coombse
    Salty, as fuck.

Shows Seen: 93

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Encore [performances used to have me on the edge of my seat because you never knew what they'd play. It seems that he now chooses songs that the casual fan gets excited about

SPAC n2 2014 was the first true Golden turd of an encore I saw

**Survivor 2016 Columbia River Tragedy**
    coombse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #20
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpxc. View Post
    camden n2 '08. left very confused by the encore.
    That's a very weird encore. I've never seen one that's that odd.

Hey Hey My My (Into The Black)
    Bitch

Pretty good main set, though.
    Hahninator is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #21
    UNHDMBfan

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Last night in Gilford.......Not just encore, kind of disappointed in entire setlist.
    Granny - 41 early was the highlight.
    UNHDMBfan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #22
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Only show I left early was 7/2/14 (Milwaukee Summerfest show). Encore was:

Needle and the Damage Done
    Drunken Soldier
    Shake Me

Was sitting in pavilion but went up to the lawn at the start of Needle, then walked closer to the exit as Drunken was ending, and then just booked it out of there the second Shake Me started. Just an atrocious venue with only one entry/exit; did not want to squeeze through that with 20,000 people.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #23
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Never really that I can recall in almost 70 shows. The one time I do remember was starting to head to the car at the Chicago Caravan whichever night it was (I think N1?) that they closed with SMLAM. But it wasn't "in disgust" or anything, just didn't need to hear it.

The whole "beat the traffic" thing I never really got. Like, is walking out 5-10 minutes earlier REALLY getting you home that much quicker (especially when a ton of other people are doing the same thing?)

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #24
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Never really that I can recall in almost 70 shows. The one time I do remember was starting to head to the car at the Chicago Caravan whichever night it was (I think N1?) that they closed with SMLAM. But it wasn't "in disgust" or anything, just didn't need to hear it.

The whole "beat the traffic" thing I never really got. Like, is walking out 5-10 minutes earlier REALLY getting you home that much quicker (especially when a ton of other people are doing the same thing?)
    Simple answer? Yes.
    Old 06-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #25
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I’m still chasing Pig, Drive in Drive Out, Cry Freedom, and Last Stop. I’d never leave a show early if it risked not seeing any of those songs.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #26
    jsend22
    LFC*DMB*NYI

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonny Veritas 2 View Post
    To each their own, and it's ones own personal decision whether or not to do so but I always think to myself, there will come a day when this band will not play live shows anymore and I'm not going to miss one note while they are still able and willing to create such a magical experience...
    Agree with this. Like anyone.. I've attended shows where either the setlist, encore or both were nowhere near what I'd expect, but regardless I'd rather continue to see this band live (with less than impressive sets) rather than not see them at all.

Closest I get to leaving a show early is I'll make my way far enough towards the exit, but close enough to still see the stage. After it ends I bolt from there. Usually gets me far enough ahead of the major exit crowd where it saves some time.
    jsend22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #27
    jjr4884

Shows Seen: 70

My Tour Central Stats

Walked out early 2016 SPAC N2 during Two Step. Oh no, I missed Halloween. I slept just fine that night.
    Old 06-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #28
    TimHonks

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Never at Alpine. Maybe once or twice during the last song at venues with a curfew, but never really in disgust. I would probably stop going or heavily slow down on shows if I ever left a show in disgust.
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #29
    twostepr41

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Walked out on the last Oak Mountain show at the beginning of YMDT as an encore closer which followed Bob Law as the E1. Lame.
    twostepr41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #30
    bwags

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

In disgust? No.

At the start of the 2nd encore song? Yes, especially if it's a pain to get out of the venue or long walk. Like the poster said above, do I need to hear Ants or Stay for the 80th time?
    bwags is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    disgust , encore , setlists , walk out