Expecting/Baby Thread - Page 6 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #151
bethie

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Expecting/Baby Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnderwoman View Post
<br />

I also had this ridiculous notion that not delivering vaginally meant I failed as a woman... I no longer have that feeling.
that's a relly interesting psyche imo...i think i'm the only woman i know of that never wanted a vaginal birth.

i think i would've felt like that if i'd failed at breastfeeding.
bethie is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #152
    wnderwoman

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenben41 View Post
    Why did they let you labor so long? I wonder what the standard is for how long you're supposed to "tough it out" before they intervene.

I don't think anything makes you more of a woman than laboring for 60 hours. My word.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    About 11 hours after induction for Mrs. Beefy, but it's mainly because she wasn't progressing.
    I have no idea why they let it go that long, I arrived at the hospital dilated to 4 already but my water hadn't broken yet. They broke it for me, but then I didn't progress either, after about 10 hours I had moved 1 centimeter. It went like that the whole time.

I had no idea what to expect at the time, knowing what I know now I can't imagine that happening again.
    wnderwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #153
    wnderwoman

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bethie View Post
    that's a relly interesting psyche imo...i think i'm the only woman i know of that never wanted a vaginal birth.

I think it was also the amount of time I had been at it, plus I was definitely not in my right mind.
    Old 01-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #154
    Baubkatt

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

As a man, I can not understand the desire for vaginal birth. It just looks bad.

http://vaginalbirthvideo.com/
    Old 01-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #155
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baubkatt View Post
    As a man, I can not understand the desire for vaginal birth. It just looks bad.

http://vaginalbirthvideo.com/
    I'll pass on watching that, kthxbye.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #156
    Baubkatt

My Tour Central Stats

You should watch it. Its educating, but its more painful than getting kicked in the nuts...twice.
    Old 01-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #157
    cryfreedom4136
    Top Uploader

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

SO we went shopping for cribs, strollers, and car seats today...

I have decided that shopping for car seats is by far the most overwhelming thing I have ever done

#2 uploader
    cryfreedom4136 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #158
    thebestauntie
    My love

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cryfreedom4136 View Post

I have decided that shopping for car seats is by far the most overwhelming thing I have ever done
    Awwww.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    Best team. Best city.
    thebestauntie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #159
    jgritari3
    o, bother!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

i didn't want a vaginal birth either... but they told me you can't just have a c-section because you want one...

"Well behaved women rarely make history." Laura Thatcher Ulrich
    jgritari3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #160
    41ravens
    Now We Go

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

if you need any advice, i can have my wife crank out a spreadsheet for you. she seriously studied up on them for months before we got one. she can look at a stroller/car seat and know exactly who the manufacturer is and where they rank safety-wise.

Thank you. Thank you for your honesty.
    Now fuck off and die, you fucked up slag.
    41ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #161
    Baubkatt

My Tour Central Stats

Heres what we got. The reason we got this is because the combo was cheaper. Some people dont like the combo units (no matter the brand). We wanted a jogging stroller. We have LOVED it thus far. The car seat has been great. I think in this day and age, its really a matter of what looks good b/c all the ones we saw had good reviews. Go to babies r us, find the one (or multiples) you like. Then do some research online. And you may find it cheaper on line also. For us, it was the best price at babies r us. But that DEFINITELY is not the case with everything
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2991668

Because the jogging stroller was a little bigger than we wanted for when we go out for a quick errand, we got the snap n go stroller that fits the baby seat. It was only 50 bucks so it was a good value and has worked out very well.

http://search.happymothers.com/searc...ingle+Stroller

Last edited by Baubkatt; 01-11-2009 at 06:38 AM.
    Baubkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #162
    Baubkatt

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    SO we went shopping for cribs, strollers, and car seats today...I have decided that shopping for car seats is by far the most overwhelming thing I have ever done
    Is this your first child? We just had our first 3 weeks ago. Below is a list of things that have been GREAT, well worth the money, and would suggest them to anyone having a child (in no particular order):

baby bag: Get something that is big and LOTS of pockets. We have gone out about 4-5 times now and have overpacked b/c we are first timers. And the bag is GREAT. 3 outfits, 6 diapers, 4 bottles, blanket, wipes, pacifiers...ok, you get the picture.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2307251

Storage bins: Cant get enough of these! Here is a link to some, but we got ours at Target for like 3 bucks each. You wont believe how handy these are.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3066895

Long sleeved onesies: There legs are typically covered with a blanket. But there arms and hands always look cold. We bought about 3 dozen of these and she looks so much warmer and we feel like we are being much better parents.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2666350

Swaddle blankets: WOW. One of the best gifts we have received. They have been in the belly for 9+months and have been confined. They love it. It is a shock to them to be able to move there arms and legs about. This helps in the transition and helps TREMENDOUSLY when its time to sleep. And that will help you out. AND it is true. Sleep when they sleep. Your baby, you, your husband, your health, and especially your milk will be MUCH better.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...llingItem=true

Bottles: Dont mess with the plastic ones. Get glass. SOOOO much better for your baby. Evenflow makes GREAT bottles that we have been using. Dont mess with all the BPA issues that have been surrounding the plastic bottles. And these bottles come with nipples that have a great 'technology' which modify themselves to how your baby drinks. Dont ask me...I dont know how it works, but I can say that our daughter was very gassy and spitting up a lot more with the avent and dr brown bottles. These have been GREAT.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2864795

Bundle me sleeping bag/cover for the car seat: This has been a good buy. This keeps her warm and comfortable. There have been 2 times when we got in the car and there was a chill but this kept her very snug (as a bug!).
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2266848

Pacifiers: MUST HAVE. Get atleast 4-6 of the smallest ones for your childs first few months.

Pack n Play: This has worked out very well, because of one major reason. It has a changing station with it. You wont believe how much this helps. You dont want to have to go back to the one room with a changing station. I would suggest having 2-3 'stations' set up. You hear they pee and poop all the time. WELL THEY DO IT...TIMES 12!!!! Have mini stations every where. It helps. So we have this in our living room for her to sleep in also.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2959499

On the theme of diapers...GET THIS! Is the best price and works the best. We were told about this by other parents and after reading up on it, it was the best around. Period. Dont bother with the ones that you buy the insert scents and 'stuff'.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2373422

Blankets: Cant get enough of these. We have about a dozen blankets. The fleece ones are GREAT. Leave a few of these in each room. Your baby will sleep anywhere and these help.

Sleep sack: Read up on these. They were invented by a mom who lost her child to SIDS. I know, you dont want to think about this. But it will be on your mind. This keeps her warm. And you shouldnt use blankets if you are not right with them. Use this and you will sleep well knowing your child is ok.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2809119

Gowns: These come in handy when changing diapers. And you will be doing OFTEN. We try to put her in these every night. She is warm with a onesy under it during the day and with a sleep sack at night. And she just looks SOOOO adorable with this. If we had a boy, we would still use these. Mostly because I would take a million photos and share with everyone at his bachelor party and wedding.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3126630

Books: we have bought two collections and I read to her every day. 1st is Shel Silverstein. Better than Dr Seuss (IMO). Sidenote, we do have dr seuss also, but I read her Shel.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...rstein&x=0&y=0
    And, Beatrice Potter collection (peter rabbit). http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...sprefix=beatri
    We actually decorated her room as a peter rabbit theme: Lamp, clock, height tracker, bumper/blankets, wallsies (get these...they are fun to put up!!!), as well as other items. Is very cute.

Ok, that is just my opinion. A little long winded and I could suggest other things that have helped over the last 3 weeks, so please ask. There are a number of us on here that will give you suggestions and advice. DONT LISTEN TO ANYONES ADVICE THOUGH! Just be a good parent and do what is right. It's worked for us...SO FAR!!! ANd have fun. Its a great day when you deliver and every day after gets better!
    Old 01-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #163
    Beefsteak1138

My Tour Central Stats

Awesome post. I agree with pretty much all of it.
    Old 01-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #164
    Baubkatt

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks, I forgot one more thing. A breast pump. Depending on your budget, there are manual and automatic. We had a relative that wanted to buy us one 'bigger' purchase. So we got a dual, automatic pumper. We got this for a few reasons: when my wife goes back to work, so that I can help in feeding and she can sleep more, baby doesnt drink all that is in the supply, etc. If you are interested in getting one, speak to your lactation consultant at the hospital. They will be coming around everyday in the hospital to help out. SPEAK TO THEM! They are great. I never thought about it (or my wife), but they were SOOOOO helpful. They actually had a better price than any of the stores! Below is the one we got, but they had it for 250. SO if it is in your budget, get a dual automatic. If not, there are single automatic and there are manual pumps. Either way, they come in VERY handy.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSG10001
    Old 01-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #165
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

We ended up going with the Chicco car seat, stroller combo...they are iner changeable.

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers

Last edited by AJF_41; 01-11-2009 at 11:37 AM.
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #166
    bethie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jgritari3 View Post
    i didn't want a vaginal birth either... but they told me you can't just have a c-section because you want one...
    they lied.

Quote:

we got the Peg. American-made carseats seem so crappy in comparison now.
    Old 01-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #167
    bethie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Pacifiers: MUST HAVE. Get atleast 4-6 of the smallest ones for your childs first few months.
    you do know that pacifiers are rather controversial, right? not to mention that not all babies will take one.
    Old 01-12-2009, 05:45 AM   #168
    Beefsteak1138

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    you do know that pacifiers are rather controversial, right? not to mention that not all babies will take one.
    There have been studies done that show that pacifiers reduce the risk of SIDS. I don't think that they are bad to use, but in moderation and if you wean your child off of it at an early age. I hate seeing kids that are like 3 or 4 years old still sucking on one.
    Old 01-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #169
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks, I forgot one more thing. A breast pump. Depending on your budget, there are manual and automatic. We had a relative that wanted to buy us one 'bigger' purchase. So we got a dual, automatic pumper. We got this for a few reasons: when my wife goes back to work, so that I can help in feeding and she can sleep more, baby doesnt drink all that is in the supply, etc. If you are interested in getting one, speak to your lactation consultant at the hospital. They will be coming around everyday in the hospital to help out. SPEAK TO THEM! They are great. I never thought about it (or my wife), but they were SOOOOO helpful. They actually had a better price than any of the stores! Below is the one we got, but they had it for 250. SO if it is in your budget, get a dual automatic. If not, there are single automatic and there are manual pumps. Either way, they come in VERY handy.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/175-3921842-5576731?ASIN=B0011E5LYE&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B0011E5LY E|Medela_Pump_In_Style_Breast_Pump_with_Shoulder_B ag&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B0011E5LYE&ref=tgt_adv_X SG10001

You shouldnt have a budget when shopping for those things....if you do, your budget will go higher becuase youll buy something cheap and worthless, and you cant return them.

Pay the money for a good setup...will be cheaper in the long run.
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #170
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You could say that about almost every single aspect of newborns... glass vs plastic bottles, breastfeeding vs formula, clothings, cribs, sleeping arrangements, etc etc etc.

Hospitals themselves offer pacifiers to the babies if the parents give approval
    Old 01-12-2009, 07:48 AM   #171
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    they lied.
    Majority of doctors try to talk their patients out of elective c-sections, due to the risks involved.
    Old 01-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #172
    bethie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    There have been studies done that show that pacifiers reduce the risk of SIDS. I don't think that they are bad to use, but in moderation and if you wean your child off of it at an early age. I hate seeing kids that are like 3 or 4 years old still sucking on one.
    in really young infants, a paci can interfere with a proper latch & get them off track for breastfeeding. that was the main reason i wanted to avoid them but we caved pretty quickly.

and weaning them off of it is much easier said than done, methinks. my daughter still uses hers & i rationalize it by telling myself that atleast we're cutting back on our sids risk.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dre2142 View Post
    Majority of doctors try to talk their patients out of elective c-sections, due to the risks involved.
    no shit. it's still fairly easy to locate an OB that'll do it though...even the ones that try to talk you out of it on the front end would probably cave much easier than you think. because the truth is, there's a shitload of risks associated with a vaginal too.
    Old 01-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #173
    cryfreedom4136
    Top Uploader

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I am intrigued, please elaborate

#2 uploader
    cryfreedom4136 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #174
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

no shit. it's still fairly easy to locate an OB that'll do it though...even the ones that try to talk you out of it on the front end would probably cave much easier than you think. because the truth is, there's a shitload of risks associated with a vaginal too.
    Maybe in your area, but not around here. But then on the other hand, VBACs arent done around here either.
    Old 01-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #175
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Google it. There are TONS of articles with experts saying that you shouldnt use pacifiers....and then the same amount from experts saying that you SHOULD use them.

Its all personal preference really, after reading up on the pros and cons. In addition, the way one infant reacts to it doesnt mean they all will react that way.

My son took to it right away, and he always wanted one with him. When he was down to 3, and one got yicky, we had him throw it away. Then he was down to 2....then 1, and then we ceremoniously threw it away and he never mentioned it again.

My daughter refused them until she was about 7, 8 months old, and then she would take it but didnt rely on them.

Some kids become OBSESSED with them.

No issues with breastfeeding, and no issues with messed up teeth with our kids.

Every parent thinks they are an expert when it comes to kid stuff.....its unavoidable, lol

Last edited by dre2142; 01-12-2009 at 08:59 AM.
    Old 01-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #176
    WoodstockAimee

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I believe the issue is more so with the palate vs. teeth problems. But ya, parental preference. There's pros and cons on everything in this world, so whatever works with minimal damage should be parents mantra.
    Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #177
    wnderwoman

My Tour Central Stats

My doctor said I could definitely VBAC with my next child if I wanted to.

My son took a pacifier until about 8-9 months and then just didnt want it any more. I was unaware of any issue with pacifiers though...
    Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #178
    bethie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    like i said before, my main concern with the paci was the fact that i did not want it to interfere with her latch in her earlier days.

at this point, my reasons for being wary of it are more practical...
    it can be a pretty serious pain the ass. ie..like having to pull off the side of the road, get out of the car & put the paci back in baby's mouth. or waking up in the middle of the night & frantically trying to find it in the dark..she's only crying in those situations b/c the paci has fallen out..so the way i see it, the paci caused the crying.

right now it's just one more thing to either a)lose or b) forget at home. both scenarios create rather tense situations.
    Old 01-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #179
    Beefsteak1138

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    and weaning them off of it is much easier said than done, methinks. my daughter still uses hers & i rationalize it by telling myself that atleast we're cutting back on our sids risk.
    Nah, not for me at least. We just got Beefy Jr. off the pacifier over x-mas break, he's 18 months old. He cried the first night for about an hour. The next night it was like he never had one.
    Old 01-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #180
    william.hosking

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Nah, not for me at least. We just got Beefy Jr. off the pacifier over x-mas break, he's 18 months old. He cried the first night for about an hour. The next night it was like he never had one.
    I second this. I also had an easy time weaning Bear off of his pacifier. I have, however, heard nightmare stories, but this is usually the result of faulty parenting and letting the child have their pacifier too long (3+ years).

Twitter
    Facebook
    william.hosking is offline   Reply With Quote