Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2021, 03:05 PM   #31
eggsrsweet
 
eggsrsweet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,293

Shows Seen: 36

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

Please ask something like this:

"Does it bother you when people request songs? Whether it be from a sign in the crowd or chanting or even asking you in person on the street. And if it doesn't, do you fulfill a lot of those requests? If it does bother you, what about it bothers you?"

I don't think its disrespectful at all if you frame it right. I'd really love to hear what he has to say about this. Other than "you can kiss my ass"
eggsrsweet is offline  

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #32
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 42,148

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seanieb View Post
    Loving the responses so far, keep em' coming!

    I'm a musician and got into it because of the band, so this is area that I'd love to chat with him about. Hoping we can get into it.

    I am as well, this type of thing is infinitely more interesting that some liberal save the children rant or asking him to comment on album timelines which he won't:




    Would love this type of talking point and applying it to some fan favorites like Two Step, The Stone, Lie in Our Graves etc.
    __________________
    "Analytics have had a negative impact on the aesthetic and entertainment value of the game. We need to find a way to get more action in the game, allow players to show their athleticism" - Theo Epstein, 11/17/20

    Last edited by ToySoldier#34; 02-04-2021 at 03:14 PM.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now  
    Old 02-04-2021, 03:17 PM   #33
    eggsrsweet
     
    eggsrsweet's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Posts: 3,293

    Shows Seen: 36

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    If you ask him anything about the album, ask more broadly like, "How has your approach to studio sessions changed over the years? Do you still just get together and jam and write music from those jams? Or do you write by yourself and bring songs to the band for them to try out?"
    eggsrsweet is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 03:26 PM   #34
    Seanieb
    Tibity
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: San Francisco
    Posts: 1,345

    Shows Seen: 30

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I am as well, this type of thing is infinitely more interesting that some liberal save the children rant or asking him to comment on album timelines which he won't:




    Would love this type of talking point and applying it to some fan favorites like Two Step, The Stone, Lie in Our Graves etc.
    Love this!
    Seanieb is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #35
    Seanieb
    Tibity
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: San Francisco
    Posts: 1,345

    Shows Seen: 30

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BotheLaneFan View Post
    Tell him I almost died of COVID and would appreciate Spotlight being brought back. Add in a “pretty please” so it is formed like a question.
    I'm sorry to hear that and happy to hear that you're OK! He's on record that Spotlight was one that he was happy to shelve, so I'll probably avoid that one.
    Seanieb is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 03:33 PM   #36
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.
     
    RSSR's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Posts: 6,983

    Shows Seen: 9

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Bob Lefsetz has done a recent podcast with Steve Lillywhite through Bob's websites:

    Steve Lillywhite checks in all the way from Jakarta, where he runs the largest music label for KFC, I kid you not! We delve into Steve's production of U2, Peter Gabriel, the Rolling Stones, Dave Matthews, Thompson Twins and more. But in addition to the stories you'll be captivated by the insight! Steve is quite the raconteur and if you want to know how a famous music producer makes records, this is the place!

    https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-...ast-30806836/#

    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000507699311

    https://open.spotify.com/show/3QQChyYncANduSOs72eCbV

    https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-bob-lefsetz-podcast

    https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/9f...efsetz-Podcast

    I haven't checked, but Bob may have talked about DMB with Steve within those podcasts.
    I didn't want to make a new thread so I left the links on this two threads.
    RSSR is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 03:41 PM   #37
    Seanieb
    Tibity
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: San Francisco
    Posts: 1,345

    Shows Seen: 30

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vkratliff View Post
    I'd ask some version of this:

    "When the band started in the early '90s, it was a time of big change in the country. It was a pretty hopeful time. A lot has changed in the almost 30 years since then, but some things haven't changed much at all. Are you more or less hopeful about the world than you were back then?"
    I'd love to hear his take on this, but since it's not really an interview, I think keeping it more conversational is ideal.
    Seanieb is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 03:43 PM   #38
    Tomacco
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: Toronto
    Posts: 547

    Shows Seen: 118

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Ask:
    - When the new album is coming, and if he has any details he can share? (Song titles, jamming, production, etc)
    - If he'd consider another violinist. To soften it, you can mention the violin guest from D&T Mexico last year, and how that inspired the question.
    - Without a tour, what else he's considering this year for DMB in terms of maybe live streams, etc.
    - What happened to Bismarck?
    __________________
    Without hatred, where's the light?
    Without the darkness, where's the love?
    I see it now.

    Last edited by Tomacco; 02-04-2021 at 03:45 PM.
    Tomacco is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 03:43 PM   #39
    Seanieb
    Tibity
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: San Francisco
    Posts: 1,345

    Shows Seen: 30

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Bob Lefsetz has done a recent podcast with Steve Lillywhite through Bob's websites:

    Steve Lillywhite checks in all the way from Jakarta, where he runs the largest music label for KFC, I kid you not! We delve into Steve's production of U2, Peter Gabriel, the Rolling Stones, Dave Matthews, Thompson Twins and more. But in addition to the stories you'll be captivated by the insight! Steve is quite the raconteur and if you want to know how a famous music producer makes records, this is the place!

    https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-...ast-30806836/#

    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000507699311

    https://open.spotify.com/show/3QQChyYncANduSOs72eCbV

    https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-bob-lefsetz-podcast

    https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/9f...efsetz-Podcast

    I haven't checked, but Bob may have talked about DMB with Steve within those podcasts.
    I didn't want to make a new thread so I left the links on this two threads.
    This is amazing, thank you for sharing!
    Seanieb is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 03:52 PM   #40
    vkratliff
     
    vkratliff's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2014
    Posts: 1,115

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seanieb View Post
    I'd love to hear his take on this, but since it's not really an interview, I think keeping it more conversational is ideal.
    Fair point. And thanks for not being an asshole about it.

    Have fun with the conversation, man! Very envious.
    vkratliff is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 04:09 PM   #41
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15
     
    lockman21's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2007
    Posts: 28,236

    Shows Seen: 240

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I'd be more interested in him talking about his songwriting process than anything else, by about 100x. It's something he has very rarely commented on whereas a lot of my other favorite musicians have opened up about it and I've found it fascinating.
    Absolutely this.

    I'd also ask him some more thoughtful questions that ask about him as a musician and person. What sort of things does he appreciate from a crowd? What interactions with fans are meaningful to him? What's it like to live a life in the public eye? When he looks back at the music he and the band have made throughout his career, what makes him proud? What does he regret?

    Would also tell him that if they open their first show after this whole pandemic is finally over with "Ants Marching", the hit of the snare drum may make 20,000 people simultaneously weep tears of happiness.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ View Post

    Last edited by lockman21; 02-04-2021 at 04:10 PM.
    lockman21 is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #42
    Route_2
    Blue-Anony
     
    Route_2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2004
    Location: Seattle
    Posts: 22,737

    Shows Seen: 64
    Send a message via MSN to Route_2

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I am as well, this type of thing is infinitely more interesting that some liberal save the children rant or asking him to comment on album timelines which he won't:




    Would love this type of talking point and applying it to some fan favorites like Two Step, The Stone, Lie in Our Graves etc.
    Off topic, but how does that video embed? I don't remember seeing a video embed like that on this site. Is it just for Vimeo?
    __________________
    DMB Full Show Video Link List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Route_2 is online now  
    Old 02-04-2021, 04:49 PM   #43
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 42,148

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Off topic, but how does that video embed? I don't remember seeing a video embed like that on this site. Is it just for Vimeo?

    Yeah I have no idea how those things work, I didn't realize it was going to post that big
    __________________
    "Analytics have had a negative impact on the aesthetic and entertainment value of the game. We need to find a way to get more action in the game, allow players to show their athleticism" - Theo Epstein, 11/17/20
    ToySoldier#34 is online now  
    Old 02-04-2021, 05:01 PM   #44
    eggsrsweet
     
    eggsrsweet's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Posts: 3,293

    Shows Seen: 36

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    Would also tell him that if they open their first show after this whole pandemic is finally over with "Ants Marching", the hit of the snare drum may make 20,000 people simultaneously weep tears of happiness.
    That would be amazing. Not gonna happen though. We gonna hear that absolute buttcheeks guitar riff of Louisiana Bayou. Which Dave will probably flub anyway
    eggsrsweet is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 05:07 PM   #45
    samiota
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Posts: 477

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    YES. Please do this, OP! Maybe preface it with saying like “While I enjoy the new sound and still go to live shows...”
    do the reverse and hit him in the wallet. "i haven't seen you since you kicked boyd out. when are you bringing back a violinist"
    samiota is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 05:12 PM   #46
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 42,148

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Bob Lefsetz has done a recent podcast with Steve Lillywhite through Bob's websites:

    Steve Lillywhite checks in all the way from Jakarta, where he runs the largest music label for KFC, I kid you not! We delve into Steve's production of U2, Peter Gabriel, the Rolling Stones, Dave Matthews, Thompson Twins and more. But in addition to the stories you'll be captivated by the insight! Steve is quite the raconteur and if you want to know how a famous music producer makes records, this is the place!

    https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-...ast-30806836/#

    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000507699311

    https://open.spotify.com/show/3QQChyYncANduSOs72eCbV

    https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-bob-lefsetz-podcast

    https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/9f...efsetz-Podcast

    I haven't checked, but Bob may have talked about DMB with Steve within those podcasts.
    I didn't want to make a new thread so I left the links on this two threads.

    Thanks!

    First link 1:25:30 into it he goes into DMB stuff, it has mostly all been covered several times before over the years, haven't heard him refer to himself as "when I die I'm a legend with fans of that band" before
    __________________
    "Analytics have had a negative impact on the aesthetic and entertainment value of the game. We need to find a way to get more action in the game, allow players to show their athleticism" - Theo Epstein, 11/17/20

    Last edited by ToySoldier#34; 02-04-2021 at 05:14 PM.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now  
    Old 02-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #47
    BTBaboon
    Cats are the damn best
     
    BTBaboon's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Posts: 38,458

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    I’d be really interested to hear Dave talk about what music he’s been into lately. Any new artists he’s discovered during the pandemic, any shows he himself would like to see, any genres in particular he gravitates towards. Or, the inverse - what’s a music recommendation someone made to him that he tried and just wasn’t for him.

    I’d also like to know what he, if he were as well off as he is now but could no longer do music for a living, what he’d like to do as a career.
    BTBaboon is online now  
    Old 02-04-2021, 05:16 PM   #48
    eggsrsweet
     
    eggsrsweet's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Posts: 3,293

    Shows Seen: 36

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Ask him who his favorite stand-up comedian is. I'd genuinely like to know.
    eggsrsweet is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 05:17 PM   #49
    Sniper15
     
    Sniper15's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 10,694

    Shows Seen: 103

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vkratliff View Post
    I'd ask some version of this:

    "When the band started in the early '90s, it was a time of big change in the country. It was a pretty hopeful time. A lot has changed in the almost 30 years since then, but some things haven't changed much at all. Are you more or less hopeful about the world than you were back then?"
    Why the fuck would he ask this bullshit? Dave's given plenty of cliché-laden speeches about coming together and making a better future for our kids. Have you listened to the song Come Tomorrow? Asking him that type of question is tantamount to urinating on a winning lotto ticket and then burning it. Dave isn't expecting some esoteric Larry King shit, I'm sure he's expecting some hardcore fan questions and is going to want to make this a special moment for a fan.
    __________________
    Take these chances.....
    Only tomorrow leads my way...
    Sniper15 is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 05:24 PM   #50
    muldoon06
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Posts: 42

    Shows Seen: 16
    Send a message via AIM to muldoon06

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    I'd like to know how some songs that get road tested miss the cut for the upcoming album? What goes into that process? Always felt a lot of their stronger songs are on islands on their own because they were left off the albums.

    I'd like it if songs like JTR, Sweet Up and Down, Loving Wings, Sugar Will, Crazy Easy, A Dream So Real, Shotgun, Kill The King...etc to have proper homes.

    So...I guess what I'm getting at is there any plans for these types of songs to be released from the studio one day or are they just nothing more than a live rarity?

    These left out songs are part of dmb history. Part of why I love the band. I think they deserve better.
    muldoon06 is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 05:38 PM   #51
    coldengrey12
    St. Vincent Sometimes
     
    coldengrey12's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: Bay Area
    Posts: 38,964

    Shows Seen: 71

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    I’d be really interested to hear Dave talk about what music he’s been into lately. Any new artists he’s discovered during the pandemic, any shows he himself would like to see, any genres in particular he gravitates towards. Or, the inverse - what’s a music recommendation someone made to him that he tried and just wasn’t for him.

    I’d also like to know what he, if he were as well off as he is now but could no longer do music for a living, what he’d like to do as a career.
    I really loved his story about hearing Ryley Walker's version of the Lillywhite Sessions for the first time

    "The first time I heard Ryley’s cover of the Lilywhite Sessions, I was in a record store. I didn’t recognize it. Then I heard the words… It’s much more than a cover record. It’s all its own. A beautiful new collection. A tipped hat, maybe. It stands alone. If you didn’t know what inspired it, it wouldn’t matter. It’s all Ryley Walker and it’s badass. Now I have everything he’s released.”
    coldengrey12 is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 05:41 PM   #52
    laststopdmb
     
    laststopdmb's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2002
    Location: New Orleans
    Posts: 652

    Shows Seen: 100
    Send a message via AIM to laststopdmb

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    May sound silly, but I've always wondered if he or the band has any say or influence on the live albums released. I remember when the girl back in 2005 picked up Dave on the side of the road when he stranded and he signed her car. Or she won a car and he signed it. I can't remember anything anymore. She also had him sign a live trax, I think vol. 2 and he said he hadn't even seen that album yet. This leads me to wonder if he has any clue as to what's released and was isn't. How do they pick live releases if he isn't involved? Ask him if I can be in charge of a few picks too, please.
    __________________
    LTD...always
    laststopdmb is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 06:57 PM   #53
    TheStone91
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Chicago, IL
    Posts: 5,782

    Shows Seen: 29

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Ask him: why is the Warehouse fan club so shitty?

    J/k, but not really...ha
    TheStone91 is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #54
    jmkratt
     
    jmkratt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2002
    Location: Colorado
    Posts: 9,307

    Shows Seen: 37
    Send a message via AIM to jmkratt

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    BTCS Vinyl intel
    __________________
    John K
    jmkratt is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 07:45 PM   #55
    Robio
     
    Robio's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 1,471

    Shows Seen: 15

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Ask him what Crater's dong is like!
    Robio is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 07:48 PM   #56
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands
     
    Cptn. Monkeyman's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2017
    Posts: 5,165

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by laststopdmb View Post
    May sound silly, but I've always wondered if he or the band has any say or influence on the live albums released. I remember when the girl back in 2005 picked up Dave on the side of the road when he stranded and he signed her car. Or she won a car and he signed it. I can't remember anything anymore. She also had him sign a live trax, I think vol. 2 and he said he hadn't even seen that album yet. This leads me to wonder if he has any clue as to what's released and was isn't. How do they pick live releases if he isn't involved? Ask him if I can be in charge of a few picks too, please.
    I've always wondered this myself
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 08:03 PM   #57
    Sniper15
     
    Sniper15's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 10,694

    Shows Seen: 103

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robio View Post
    Ask him what Crater's dong is like!
    Dave would probably honestly enjoy this question more than a question about rare songs or replacing Boyd
    __________________
    Take these chances.....
    Only tomorrow leads my way...
    Sniper15 is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #58
    BTBaboon
    Cats are the damn best
     
    BTBaboon's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Posts: 38,458

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    Ask him: why is the Warehouse fan club so shitty?

    J/k, but not really...ha
    He doesn’t know what the Warehouse fan club is

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
    BTCS Vinyl intel
    He would have no idea and no clue that it was ever pressed the first time around.
    BTBaboon is online now  
    Old 02-04-2021, 08:34 PM   #59
    BigHappy
    creeping up heavy
     
    BigHappy's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Location: Knoxville, TN
    Posts: 1,103

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Ask him if he likes the new Taylor Swift album. After he answers, say "no, I meant the other new Taylor Swift album. Speaking of new albums..."
    __________________
    "Just let it go, brother. Just let it go."
    BigHappy is offline  
    Old 02-04-2021, 09:05 PM   #60
    davetripping02
    Good Good Time
     
    davetripping02's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2002
    Location: Canandaigua, ny
    Posts: 1,379

    Shows Seen: 76

    Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

    Ask why singing from the windows was not released to raise money for charity during the pandemic.
    __________________
    SPAC: 2001,2003,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010, 2012 to 2020*
    CMAC 2010, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
    GORGE 2010,2011, 2012!!!
    davetripping02 is offline  
    Closed Thread

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram