Did You See The Original 5? - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: Did You See The OG DMB?
Yes, I've seen just the core 5. 122 45.35%
Yes, I've seen the OG lineup with a guest. 118 43.87%
No, my touring started post-Roi. 29 10.78%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2021, 04:45 PM   #31
Cbusnancie

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Did You See The Original 5?

What I was doing the summer of 99 I have no clue
Cbusnancie is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-23-2021, 06:41 PM   #32
    djamieb

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mray10 View Post
    I've only seen 8 (?) shows without Roi and 1 without Boyd.

Original 5:

8/15/95 - Tim was a guest

Yo!! You were at the Red Rocks '95 show?!? That's incredible! When that live album was released in '97, it elevated my passion for this band 100x. So cool that you got to be there for such an epic and now-famous show! Would love to hear what you remember of the show if you recall anything about the day, getting into the venue, the performances, the general vibe during the show and after, etc. Living vicariously through you!
    Old 11-23-2021, 07:11 PM   #33
    djamieb

My Tour Central Stats

I had a quick look through my tour stats and the almanac... from what I can tell, I saw 10 shows with the Core 5:

5.29.98 (my first show!)
    6.22.00 (excited for this upcoming release!)

There were a couple random guest spots for one or two songs in there for some of them; a few singers from Poi Dog Pondering joining on Stay on 5.29.98, Warren Haynes on Watchtower on 6.14 & 6.15.98 + Crush on 6.15.98, etc., and then some shows with no guests whatsoever (like Alpine '99 and Allstate Arena 2000). But those shows listed above were the Core 5 for most or all of the show; no Butch and no Tim.

I got to see 30 shows between '98-'04, so a ton of shows in there with Butch and other guests like Tim / Victor Wooten / Maceo Parker / Mitch Rutman at the United Center show on 12.19.98 and things like that. I'm really grateful that I was in high school and college during those prime years and had the opportunity to go to a bunch of shows each summer.
    Old 11-23-2021, 09:13 PM   #34
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Hard to answer — I never saw a show without guests (Butch, Rashawn, Tim, Ladies, Buddy), but Butch wasn't a full-time, plays-on-every-song member at my first few shows, so there were some songs that were just the core five

Like 5.18.01, which was Butch's first show as a full-time member, he only plays on like half of the songs: http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...d=2&where=2001
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2021, 04:13 AM   #35
    Beauford3641

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Once! My second ever show, which was 12-16-2000 in Providence.
    Beauford3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2021, 04:47 AM   #36
    acedmb

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Sadly, no. I’m 24 and saw my first show in 2012. Trying to catch as many shows as I can, though. 34 and counting!

Last edited by acedmb; 11-24-2021 at 04:49 AM.
    acedmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2021, 05:59 AM   #37
    dmbongreyst

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I saw two shows with only the original 5. Summer 99 and Summer 00. One with just Tim and the original five. All the rest with Butch/Rashawn/etc.
    Old 11-24-2021, 06:24 AM   #38
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    Hard to answer — I never saw a show without guests (Butch, Rashawn, Tim, Ladies, Buddy), but Butch wasn't a full-time, plays-on-every-song member at my first few shows, so there were some songs that were just the core five

Like 5.18.01, which was Butch's first show as a full-time member, he only plays on like half of the songs: http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...d=2&where=2001
    That counts. In my opinion, if you were at a show before there were "guests" on every song and you saw just the core 5 on stage together, you experienced it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauford3641 View Post
    Once! My second ever show, which was 12-16-2000 in Providence.
    I was there!!! I think Dave was sick during that show, if I remember correctly.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2021, 06:25 AM   #39
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acedmb View Post
    Sadly, no. I’m 24 and saw my first show in 2012. Trying to catch as many shows as I can, though. 34 and counting!
    You sound like me at your age! Keep it going!!
    Old 11-24-2021, 08:02 AM   #40
    Recently31

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Saw the OG 5 on 7/30/99 and Roi my first 12 shows. Was at the charlotte show in 08 the day after Roi’s accident. Dave said he was beat up pretty bad but gonna be ok. So we were shocked when they said he had passed.
    Recently31 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2021, 09:55 AM   #41
    mray10
    devil's reject

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djamieb View Post
    Yo!! You were at the Red Rocks '95 show?!? That's incredible! When that live album was released in '97, it elevated my passion for this band 100x. So cool that you got to be there for such an epic and now-famous show! Would love to hear what you remember of the show if you recall anything about the day, getting into the venue, the performances, the general vibe during the show and after, etc. Living vicariously through you!
    I grew up in the Denver area and went to a lot of shows at Red Rocks so I don't remember a ton specifically about the day or the pre-show, getting there stuff. I know I wasn't driving yet and I went with some friends who did have cars.

I was a big fan of UTTAD and had been hearing DMB on KBCO for a while. I was familiar with Tripping Billies as well, but I did not own RTT or the Recently EP yet at that point. I honestly don't recall if I hadn't seen them or just hadn't sprung to buy them--my best guess is that I'd never seen Recently in a store but I had probably seen and not bought RTT, but my memory could be wrong.

Some of the people I went with were bummed they didn't play WWYS, but going in everyone was pretty familiar with the idea that DMB was not a static set kind of band so you had no idea what you might hear.

I'll just say, that show was what turned me from a casual DMB fan to a superfan. Sometimes you go to a show for a band you don't know well and the songs they play that are unfamiliar just kinda mean nothing. That night, DMB played quite a few songs I (and probably most of the crowd) was not familiar with, particularly right at the top of the set. But instead of turning me off, most of them hooked me. I bought Remember Two Things that night. I think I used the mail in card from RTT to buy the Recently EP after that.

It was pretty full but I don't think sold out--though sometimes it was hard to tell at some of those old RR shows because they would do GA at the front of the venue and at the top so if the top looked empty it might just be because all the GA folks had packed in front.
    mray10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2021, 08:23 PM   #42
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

first show was in 05 with the original five plus Butch,, second show was original five plus Butch and Rashawn in 06
    Old 11-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #43
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

My Tour Central Stats

It only lets you choose either "Saw OG 5" or "Saw OG 5 with guest". What about those of us who saw both?

I feel very lucky to have seen them with Roi; even luckier to have hung out with all of them and discovered that Roi was not only an outrageously talented musician & contributer to DMB song development; he was also crazy smart and really really funny.

Those OG 5 created some crazy musical magic, and even more so live, didn't they!
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #44
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It only lets you choose either "Saw OG 5" or "Saw OG 5 with guest". What about those of us who saw both?<br>
    <br>
    I feel very lucky to have seen them with Roi; even luckier to have hung out with all of them and discovered that Roi was not only an outrageously talented musician &amp; contributer to DMB song development; he was also crazy smart and really really funny.<br>
    <br>
    Those OG 5 created some crazy musical magic, and even more so live, didn't they!

You’re missing the point. It’s a timeline - when did you start listening.
    Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-27-2021, 05:51 AM   #45
    Dagwin

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Yes to the core 5. First show was Polaris on 08/05/98.
    Dagwin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-27-2021, 11:50 AM   #46
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ View Post

You’re missing the point. It’s a timeline - when did you start listening.
    Ok, I guess I already answered then.

Was crazy, only an hour after responding to this post we were in our rental car with SiriusXM & DMB channel was playing 6/28/08 show and I wasn't sure if that was Roi's last show but looked it up later, now I know it was. Amazing-sounding show 💖
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-28-2021, 07:05 AM   #47
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dagwin View Post
    Yes to the core 5. First show was Polaris on 08/05/98.
    Super cool! I was just about to post the same exact thing!

Missed Polaris ‘99 and ‘00, but hit Riverport in September and caught them with the Flecktones 9/18/00. My next Polaris shows would be 8/5 & 8/6/02.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2021, 06:40 PM   #48
    ProudMonkey65
    Z. Sprayberry

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

More accurate question; when was your last show with Roi? For me, it was 6.06.2008 OG 5 plus Tim,Rashawn, Bella Fleck.
    "We were playing at this festival, and Dylan was playing at the festival. Then Dylan came up to me after he finished his set and we were about to go on, and he said, "Are you gonna play Watchtower?" and I said, no no I'm not gonna play 'cause your here. And he said, "well I didn't play it 'cause your here!." -DM 05.15.2006
    ProudMonkey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2021, 06:49 PM   #49
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ProudMonkey65 View Post
    More accurate question; when was your last show with Roi? For me, it was 6.06.2008 OG 5 plus Tim,Rashawn, Bella Fleck.
    More accurate how?

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2021, 08:15 AM   #50
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    More accurate how?
    Yeah, I'm not really sure how that's "more accurate". But I like the question...

Mine was. 6.14.08 in Hartford.

Oh hey, I passed 10,000 posts. Neat.
    Old 11-30-2021, 08:21 AM   #51
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

My first show was in 1998 with the core 5 plus Tim plus Herbie Hancock.
    Old 11-30-2021, 08:21 AM   #52
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I have seen just the core 5 once, at my first show in 1998. I saw the core 5 with Butch six times from 2000-2007. My last show with Roi was 9/22/07.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2021, 08:26 AM   #53
    Alexis17

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I started in Fall 1998, and I knew them and everything well before seeing my first show, so I remember all of my early shows. Saw just the original five 10 times in 1999 (with Warren guesting on a song each during three shows), then another 9 times in 2000 (with Dan Myers guesting on a few tunes at two shows).
    Alexis17 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2021, 04:47 PM   #54
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mray10 View Post
    I was a big fan of UTTAD and had been hearing DMB on KBCO for a while. I was familiar with Tripping Billies as well, but I did not own RTT or the Recently EP yet at that point. I honestly don't recall if I hadn't seen them or just hadn't sprung to buy them--my best guess is that I'd never seen Recently in a store but I had probably seen and not bought RTT, but my memory could be wrong.
    If my old memory is working correctly Recently was not initially offered in stores. I did not even know it existed until I was buying something at Roseland and saw the disc and just bought it on the spot.

Funny what we all recall about out first shows; I was supposed to work a random Sunday night at Shop Rite (technically I was a HS cashier but the manager played hockey so that is all we did when I worked) and my beeper went off with a friends phone number - called her back and her younger sister answered and explained it was she that beeped me. She asked if I wanted to go see DMB in New Haven, CT - I was iffy on it, loved the band but had to work and it was my friends 16 year old sister. She told me Big Head Todd was opening and that clinched it - I called into work, went down to pick my friend up at her house, we went to the box office and paid $23 each for 5th row seats at this tiny little theatre and got hooked. The following day we went down to Strawberries and bought tix for the 2 Feb 95 Roseland shows - so my first show got me completely addicted, I made a great lifelong friend and called in fake sick to work for the first time in my life.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GraceBuckley View Post
    I feel very lucky to have seen them with Roi; even luckier to have hung out with all of them and discovered that Roi was not only an outrageously talented musician & contributer to DMB song development; he was also crazy smart and really really funny.
    Was always such a nice guy as well. One year some friends and I were in Hartford, walked out of the hotel to go find breakfast and were walking down the street and walked straight into him. Some of my friends had their stubs from the night before and he signed them but seemed like he was trying to get rid of us so we just thanked him and went to get breakfast. Later in the afternoon we were at the hotel bar and Roi walked in and saw us, came over, sat down with us and apologized - turned out he had plans with family that he was on his way to when we saw him. He chatted a bit, bought us some drinks and was just a really good guy. Met him a number more times over the years either in the lounge or after shows and such and the guy was just consistently a great human being. I really miss what he brought to the band and what a kind classy guy he was.
    Old 12-13-2021, 05:05 PM   #55
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cryfreedom09 View Post
    My first show was in 1998 with the core 5 plus Tim plus Herbie Hancock.
    Herbie Handcock.... It's John Handcock.
    Old 12-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #56
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hershey 08

Money
    Two step
    Ants
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2021, 07:07 PM   #57
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ View Post
    Herbie Handcock.... It's John Handcock.
    Can you see Ross wearing Tim’s jacket?
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #58
    mray10
    devil's reject

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lcsulla View Post
    If my old memory is working correctly Recently was not initially offered in stores. I did not even know it existed until I was buying something at Roseland and saw the disc and just bought it on the spot.
    Yeah, I recall it showing up at some point, but I don't know when.

Also, I suspect it was later to show up at commercial-y places like Tower Records than at the local mom n pop places where you might have also been able to buy bootlegs.
    mray10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-14-2021, 09:41 AM   #59
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

6/21/08

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...=98&where=2008

One of the best DMB shows I've seen, which is funny because the worst DMB show I've seen was in '07, it was like two completely different bands
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #60
    Andy Meeks

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I saw only the original 5 with no guests just once. Atlanta 1999. My last show with Leroi was Atlanta 2006. I wasn’t at Piedmont Park, but conveniently, I can watch and listen to it whenever I want.
    Andy Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote