*Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling) - Page 11360 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-23-2021, 05:20 PM   #340771
Climb2safety
Free your mind

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, trolling, but Hamilton discussion OK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbmuskie View Post
This is just going to speed up automation and shutter brick and mortar.
You could start by becoming a bot.

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-23-2021, 05:21 PM   #340772
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, trolling, but Hamilton discussion OK)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Climb2safety View Post
    Living wage in every state.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/04/map-...-us-state.html

Spoiler: it’s a lot more than 23k

I’m not sure if we are using the right term.

Massachusetts, Cali and New York are on some other other Shit
    Old 02-23-2021, 05:21 PM   #340773
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    We need more avatar bets.
    One of these days I’m going to get Blaise to agree to one with me.

I lost one to Shotty once. Had a dumb blobfish as my avi for a few weeks after the midterms.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2021, 05:24 PM   #340774
    Antiramie

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

If you're not willing to put an avatar on the line, you've already conceded...
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2021, 05:26 PM   #340775
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Climb2safety View Post
    I did this once and it became a 5 year meme
    Old 02-23-2021, 05:28 PM   #340776
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

BREAKING: No criminal charges against Rochester, N.Y., police officers in the death of Daniel Prude, a Black man. Prude was held down naked and handcuffed until he stopped breathing.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1364328820623495175

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    All jobs should make a livable wage lol what are we even doing here

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post
    Massachusetts, Cali and New York are on some other other Shit
    You know how the Monopoly board game has different editions? Simpsons Monopoly, Star Wars Monopoly, Metallica Monopoly, etc.?

We are playing the IRL edition of Monopoly here in California
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2021, 05:31 PM   #340777
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    and my number for a minimum wage is definitely lower than what most would think is a livable wage.
    Based off what? Most are calculated based off local average living expenses + a few hundred dollars extra per month.

Do you think those numbers are exaggerated or what?
    Old 02-23-2021, 05:34 PM   #340778
    diableri
    Stay Limber

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    BREAKING: No criminal charges against Rochester, N.Y., police officers in the death of Daniel Prude, a Black man. Prude was held down naked and handcuffed until he stopped breathing.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1364328820623495175

You know how the Monopoly board game has different editions? Simpsons Monopoly, Star Wars Monopoly, Metallica Monopoly, etc.?

We are playing the IRL edition of Monopoly here in California
    It actually seemed a bit low for somewhere like SJ Valley and that's got to be among the more affordable places in CA I would think
    diableri is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #340779
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diableri View Post
    It actually seemed a bit low for somewhere like SJ Valley and that's got to be among the more affordable places in CA I would think
    I think about this a lot:

I was stuck in traffic on my way to the airport in 2019, listening to the radio

And there was some real estate commercial and they were like, "Homes now as low as $1 million on the peninsula!"

And I was like, "Holy fuck $1 million is the low end selling point???"
    Old 02-23-2021, 05:51 PM   #340780
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think about this a lot:

I was stuck in traffic on my way to the airport in 2019, listening to the radio

And there was some real estate commercial and they were like, "Homes now as low as $1 million on the peninsula!"

And I was like, "Holy fuck $1 million is the low end selling point???"
    I am aware of a hiring pitch for a nurse manager relocate to Bakersfield recently from where ever the hell Woodland is. This would be BSN education and a few (single digit) years of experience and do a good job on the interviews level of a job. Nowhere near a high or even that close to a mid tier position. Guessing at $85k.

Housing costs was half a mil at base 3bed/1.5 bath. In the pitch as a positive. In Bakersfield. And the houses are selling in days of market hit.

They got her btw.

Last edited by diableri; 02-23-2021 at 05:53 PM.
    Old 02-23-2021, 05:58 PM   #340781
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diableri View Post
    I am aware of a hiring pitch for a nurse manager relocate to Bakersfield recently from where ever the hell Woodland is. This would be BSN education and a few (single digit) years of experience and do a good job on the interviews level of a job. Nowhere near a high or even that close to a mid tier position. Guessing at $85k.

Housing costs was half a mil at base 3bed/1.5 bath. In the pitch as a positive. In Bakersfield. And the houses are selling in days of market hit.

They got her btw.
    It's near Sacramento. It's in Yolo County. #YOLO

Half a mil for Bakersfield. Whew!
    Old 02-23-2021, 05:58 PM   #340782
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's near Sacramento. It's in Yolo County. #YOLO

Half a mil for Bakersfield. Whew!
    As a positive.

EDIT: Texted her, $92k year. Matched her rate.

Last edited by diableri; 02-23-2021 at 06:00 PM.
    Old 02-23-2021, 06:16 PM   #340783
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Based off what? Most are calculated based off local average living expenses + a few hundred dollars extra per month.

Do you think those numbers are exaggerated or what?
    I'd probably make it $10 in more rural parts of the country and up to $18 in the highest cost of living areas.

There are just some jobs I think it makes no sense to pay $15 per hour for. I'd also be okay if smaller businesses could offer a slightly lower minimum wage.

The living wage explanation - why doesn't ever anyone include roommates? Most of us had to have one at one point.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2021, 06:25 PM   #340784
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'd probably make it $10 in more rural parts of the country and up to $18 in the highest cost of living areas.

There are just some jobs I think it makes no sense to pay $15 per hour for. I'd also be okay if smaller businesses could offer a slightly lower minimum wage.

The living wage explanation - why doesn't ever anyone include roommates? Most of us had to have one at one point.
    Like rural vs city within each state or rural states vs ones with more metro area?

What minimum wage jobs are not worthy of $15?

Why should people need to find a roommate to be able to pay their bills?
    Old 02-23-2021, 06:30 PM   #340785
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Because I don’t like people and I don’t want people when I get home? Because I shouldn’t NEED a roommate to afford to live.
    Old 02-23-2021, 06:32 PM   #340786
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Like rural vs city within each state or rural states vs ones with more metro area?

What minimum wage jobs are not worthy of $15?

Why should people need to find a roommate to be able to pay their bills?
    1). Rural areas vs metro ones, even in the same state. Here in Texas, the minimum wage in Austin should be higher than the minimum wage in Alice.

2). That's for a business owner to determine. I'm not trying to insult anyone's occupation if they do this - I am not aware of anyone on this site who does - but I know if I owned a marketing business, and I was hired to put door hangers on a doors in a neighborhood, I'd attempt to pay someone less than $15 per hour.

3). You are asking a values question. One could ask why shouldn't everyone be able to afford their own house or their own car? There are a lot of things that you could ask these questions about. But ss there shame in having a roommate?
    Old 02-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #340787
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    1). Rural areas vs metro ones, even in the same state. Here in Texas, the minimum wage in Austin should be higher than the minimum wage in Alice.

2). That's for a business owner to determine. I'm not trying to insult anyone's occupation if they do this - I am not aware of anyone on this site who does - but I know if I owned a marketing business, and I was hired to put door hangers on a doors in a neighborhood, I'd attempt to pay someone less than $15 per hour.

3). You are asking a values question. One could ask why shouldn't everyone be able to afford their own house or their own car? There are a lot of things that you could ask these questions about. But ss there shame in having a roommate?
    Let’s say all minimum wage jobs are entry level. Why does it matter what the job is? Shouldn’t the value of time remain constant, no matter what the job is...whether you’re on the clock to hang ads on doors or flip burgers?

I think self sufficiency and privacy should be a right...not a privilege...to an extent. Otherwise it’s a slippery slope to “just get 2 roommates...no 5...no 8”. Why anyone would champion for that kind of dependency when there are people worth hundreds of billions of dollars is unthinkable to me.

I think there’s a massive chasm between pushing for affordability of living single and saying everyone should be able to own a house or a car.

Last edited by Antiramie; 02-23-2021 at 06:58 PM.
    Old 02-23-2021, 07:01 PM   #340788
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Let’s say all minimum wage jobs are entry level. Why does it matter what the job is? Shouldn’t the value of time remain constant, no matter what the job is...whether you’re on the clock to hang ads on doors or flip burgers?

I think self sufficiency and privacy should be a right...not a privilege...to an extent. Otherwise it’s a slippery slope to “just get 2 roommates...no 5...no 8”. Why anyone would champion for that kind of dependency when there are people worth hundreds of billions of dollars is unthinkable to me.

I think there’s a massive chasm between pushing for affordability of living single and saying everyone should be able to own a house or a car.
    yes! this!
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2021, 07:04 PM   #340789
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I think there’s a massive chasm between that and saying everyone should be able to own a house or a car.
    I've been trying to find the actual number of people who earn minimum wage and are head of households, but I can't find the number...I suspect it's not terribly high.

I respect people who work, no matter what they do. At some point, it would make logical sense that a minimum wage at some level could hurt an economy.

I just don't think there is an inherent right to have one own's apartment. In your believe of privacy, one could say that everyone should have their own home without sharing walls, which would be more private. Everyone has their own standards, and I welcome the debate, but there are always unintended consequences. I would suggest that if someone has minimum wage employment, and has roommates, but wants to live alone, that's a great incentive to improve one's skills to earn more.
    Old 02-23-2021, 07:13 PM   #340790
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

"improve ones skills"

cant do that unless you have expendable income......

fuck competition though ultimately. what an ugly part of life. we should have equal share of everything.
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2021, 07:14 PM   #340791
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Useliteski View Post
    "improve ones skills"

You've never gotten a job promotion before?
    Old 02-23-2021, 07:21 PM   #340792
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I've been trying to find the actual number of people who earn minimum wage and are head of households, but I can't find the number...I suspect it's not terribly high.

I respect people who work, no matter what they do. At some point, it would make logical sense that a minimum wage at some level could hurt an economy.

I just don't think there is an inherent right to have one own's apartment. In your believe of privacy, one could say that everyone should have their own home without sharing walls, which would be more private. Everyone has their own standards, and I welcome the debate, but there are always unintended consequences. I would suggest that if someone has minimum wage employment, and has roommates, but wants to live alone, that's a great incentive to improve one's skills to earn more.
    I should have said everyone should have the right/freedom to be financially independent. Having to find a roommate infringes on that. Privacy and self sufficiency would just come with the territory of being able to reside in a domicile independently.

Why do you think people who work entry level jobs shouldn't be able to do that forever without having to find a roommate? What if people like digging ditches? Why should we force them to do something else just because other people say so?

Last edited by Antiramie; 02-23-2021 at 07:23 PM.
    Old 02-23-2021, 07:22 PM   #340793
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

like....continuing your education to learn skills to do your job at a higher level, thus making you better at it and more marketable for a new job...?? Asking for a friend.
    Old 02-23-2021, 07:23 PM   #340794
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Useliteski View Post
    "improve ones skills"

fuck competition though ultimately. what an ugly part of life. we should have equal share of everything.
    While we’re at it, let’s completely undo all aspects of human nature!

I learn to do shit on YouTube for free all of the time. If you want to learn a skill or get good at something bad enough, you’ll find a way to do it. This response has nothing to do with a livable wage, it’s the dumbassery of what you just said.
    gonz085 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2021, 07:23 PM   #340795
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Boogie man!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...nsition-donors
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2021, 07:24 PM   #340796
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    like....continuing your education to learn skills to do your job at a higher level, thus making you better at it and more marketable for a new job...?? Asking for a friend.
    Most jobs today value experience over additional levels of education beyond a background in the field.
    Old 02-23-2021, 07:27 PM   #340797
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I should have said everyone should have the right/freedom to be financially independent. Having to find a roommate infringes on that. Privacy and self sufficiency would just come with the territory of being able to reside in a domicile independently.

Why do you think people who work entry level jobs shouldn't be able to do that forever without having to find a roommate? What if people like digging ditches? Why should we force them to do something else just because other people say so?
    First, I do support raising the minimum wage and I support UBI. But I also support free markets too. Everyone needs to weigh their income & what makes them happy, and make their own decisions. In your scenario, if digging ditches is what makes that person happy, but they also don't make enough $$ to get their own place (which will also make them happy), they have to make a choice. Nothing wrong with that.
    Old 02-23-2021, 07:30 PM   #340798
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonz085 View Post
    Most jobs today value experience over additional levels of education beyond a background in the field.
    the two aren't mutually exclusive. This is in regards to a conversation Lee and I were having last night, where teachers get pay increases for both years of service and continuing education
    Old 02-23-2021, 07:30 PM   #340799
    drakan
    Drums!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmuskie View Post
    This is just going to speed up automation and shutter brick and mortar.
    Productivity is barely growing.
    drakan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2021, 07:32 PM   #340800
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    the two aren't mutually exclusive. This is in regards to a conversation Lee and I were having last night, where teachers get pay increases for both years of service and continuing education
    The level 2 requirement for PA is equivalent to fraud seeing as how the pay increase is nowhere near worth it compared to the additional debt you incur unless you work for a prime district. That needs to go away. Luckily I work for a charter and didn’t need to get it within my first 6 years, but went because I want to pursue admin pay in the future and my school has an affiliate institution where I get tuition reimbursement.

Last edited by gonz085; 02-23-2021 at 07:33 PM.