Rolling Stone: Boyd Tinsley Sued for Breaching Sexual Misconduct Lawsuit Settlement - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-22-2024, 12:44 PM   #1
JHhambone
Square

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Rolling Stone: Boyd Tinsley Sued for Breaching Sexual Misconduct Lawsuit Settlement

Breaking News from Rolling Stone Magazine:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ent-1234973708

Even less of a chance that Boyd will be at the HOF ceremony??

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-22-2024, 12:47 PM   #2
    Tomacco

Shows Seen: 134

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Rolling Stone: Boyd Tinsley Sued for Breaching Sexual Misconduct Lawsuit Settlem

Can somebody with a subscription transcribe? I assume it's about how his Twitter comments a year or so ago where I vaguely remember he defended himself against the sock accusations.

Last edited by Tomacco; 02-22-2024 at 12:49 PM.
    Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2024, 12:51 PM   #3
    JHhambone
    Square

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Rolling Stone: Boyd Tinsley Sued for Breaching Sexual Misconduct Lawsuit Settlem

Ex-DMB Member Boyd Tinsley Sued for Breaching Sexual Misconduct Lawsuit Settlement

Violinist accused of defamation and breach of contract following 2022 social media comments aimed at accuser James Frost-Winn
    By Daniel Kreps, Jason Newman

Former Dave Matthews Band violinist Boyd Tinsley faces a new lawsuit alleging that he breached the terms of a 2019 settlement stemming from a sexual harassment lawsuit.

In 2018, musician James Frost-Winn — a former member of Tinsley’s band Crystal Garden — sued Tinsley, alleging that in November 2015, Tinsley “ejaculated next to Plaintiff Winn and touched Winn’s buttocks while Plaintiff Winn was sleeping.”

According to the suit, following that incident, Tinsley texted Frost-Winn that he had “messed up,” was “confused on pills” and that it would never happen again. The suit included a series of sexually charged texts allegedly sent by Tinsley to Frost-Winn in 2016, where Tinsley allegedly discusses masturbating to photos and requests for specific shots to be taken for sexual purposes. Frost-Winn left Crystal Garden in August 2016.

Frost-Winn sued Tinsley in May 2018, with the two parties agreeing to a $837,000 settlement payment to Frost-Winn the following year. However, under the terms of the agreement, there was a “mutual non-disparagement” clause that prevented either party from discussing the matter publicly. In the new lawsuit filed Wednesday in Washington State Superior Court and obtained by Rolling Stone, lawyers for Frost-Winn claim that Tinsley breached that clause on February 22, 2022 in a series of posts on social media.

“The accusation is a total lie,” Tinsley wrote on social media, according to screen grabs provided as evidence. “There is a pattern of me being victimized by mentally unstable and money-grabbing people. This latest individual that I am speaking of concocted this incredulous story of sexual harassment, which is a complete and total lie.”

While Tinsley didn’t mention Frost-Winn by name, he said that his accuser was “a very troubled and disturbed person” and “he had a field day spending my money… music went out the window and it was all about getting drunk and playing pinball.” (Defamation law does not require someone actually use a person’s name if that person can be otherwise identified another way.)
    The lawsuit — in which Tinsley is being sued for breach of contract, defamation, false light, negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress — was filed Wednesday to remain within Washington state’s two-year statute of limitations for defamation claims; Tinsley’s social media remarks were made on February 22, 2022.

As the lawsuit states, both sides attempted mediation following Tinsley’s alleged breach, but have thus far been unable to do so, resulting in the filing. The 2019 settlement agreed to a penalty of $25,000 for each breach of the non-disparagement clause; the new lawsuit points to 18 instances where Tinsley broke that clause in his February 2022 posts, for a total of $450,000.

“We are disappointed that filing this lawsuit against Mr. Tinsley was necessary, but our attempts at settlement for these claims have been futile,” Frost-Winn’s attorney, Stephanie Stocker, tells Rolling Stone in a statement. “Further, Mr. Tinsley and his attorney agreed earlier this year to send us additional information regarding Mr. Tinsley’s financial situation — we never received that information from Mr. Tinsley or his attorney.”

Stocker adds that she “is hopeful that a resolution of these claims can be reached between Mr. Tinsley and my client.”

Tinsley’s lawyer did not immediately reply to a request for comment on the new lawsuit. Following the initial allegations in 2018, Tinsley said he would “fight both in and out of court to repair the damage that has been done” by what he described as “false accusations.” “These accusations have caused embarrassment for my family, my friends and my fans,” he added.

Tinsley is best known for his affiliation with Dave Matthews Band, which he joined in 1992. The violinist appeared on every Dave Matthews Band album from 1994’s Under the Table and Dreaming through 2018’s Come Tomorrow. In February 2018 — prior to the accusations becoming public — he issued a statement saying, “I need to take a break from the band & touring 2 focus on my family & my health 4 a while. I will miss you guys & my brothers in the band but I’m somewhat worn out & need 2 spend more time with my family & 2 bring more balance to my life.”

Following the allegations, a rep for the group told Rolling Stone, “Though Boyd is no longer a member of the band, we are shocked by these disturbing allegations and we were not previously aware of them.” Matthews obliquely addressed Tinsley’s absence in an interview with Vulture in May 2018. “I have a deep love for Boyd, and he has to deal with his stuff,” Matthews said. “In many ways I’m sure it would’ve been a lot easier for him to just say, ‘I’m good. Let’s go play.’ But you can’t just throw yourself away, your wellness away, because you play violin in a band.

“I can’t say, ‘I can’t wait till he comes back,’ because I don’t know what’s going to happen,” he added. “But right now being away is better for him. Nobody is happy about this situation. Except that we’re happy he can figure some stuff out. I hope he does. But I’m going to miss having that whirling-dervish Adonis-Muppet over there on my right. I know the audience is, too. But we can’t serve that desire.”

Earlier this month, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced that Dave Matthews Band had been nominated for induction, with Tinsley joining Carter Beauford, Jeff Coffin, Stefan Lessard, Dave Matthews, Leroi Moore, Tim Reynolds and Rashawn Ross. Should the band get in, it is unclear if Tinsley would join the group in accepting the award or playing at the induction ceremony. A rep for the group did not immediately reply to a request for comment.
    Old 02-22-2024, 01:20 PM   #4
    Mountains#41

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I have no sympathy for this. Just legally dumb on Boyd's part and seemed like a set up on that initial defamation contract for an easy "gotcha" from the Frost -Winn lawyers. They just had to monitor his socials every day waiting for him to say something.

He should have disappeared of socials for that statute of limitations. By now it would be over..

I assume this will be the last we hear of Boyd and any inkling of his return to the band is likely squashed. DMB doesn't want to be associated with this publically.

Can you imagine the field day the press would have if they show up to the R&R HOF with him? Hell they'll likely have a point to make about now anyways since it just popped back up.
    Mountains#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2024, 02:30 PM   #5
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

If you settle, shut up. That's what lawyers will always tell you.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2024, 03:33 PM   #6
    dmb2much40
    flower in the desert

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Bad timing for the rock hall nomination.
    Unfortunate he wasn’t able to get his shit together. All access to socials should have been taken away.
    into a black bottomless well
    and the red blue blood comes through her
    feels as cold as ice in her hell..."
    dmb2much40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2024, 05:44 PM   #7
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
    Bad timing for the rock hall nomination.
    Unfortunate he wasn’t able to get his shit together. All access to socials should have been taken away.
    Opportunistic if you ask me.
    Old 02-22-2024, 06:23 PM   #8
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Stay gone, dude

I wish him well and I hope any public association with DMB remains over
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2024, 08:29 PM   #9
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

I don’t think this changes anything.

Someone could file a suit against me tomorrow for anything. Doesn’t mean a thing.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2024, 05:47 AM   #10
    8nalive

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I’ll back you up Boyd
    8nalive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2024, 06:05 AM   #11
    rmp207

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    I don’t think this changes anything.

Someone could file a suit against me tomorrow for anything. Doesn’t mean a thing.
    I think it puts the nail in the coffin of the Boyd at any induction ceremony, it was a long shot already.
    rmp207 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2024, 06:58 AM   #12
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Interesting that they are just now suing for breaking the settlement contract, considering those comments on twitter were from 2 years ago.
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2024, 07:39 AM   #13
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbclstj2 View Post
    Interesting that they are just now suing for breaking the settlement contract, considering those comments on twitter were from 2 years ago.
    The two parties apparently have been in mediation for awhile and weren’t making any progress. And there’s a 2-year statute of limitations for defamation claims in Washington where the lawsuit is being filed.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2024, 07:56 AM   #14
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

And DMB is in the news with Summer Tour tickets on sale within the last few days (similar timing in 2018, day of Summer Tour onsale)
    dmbolp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2024, 09:37 AM   #15
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmb40oz View Post
    Opportunistic if you ask me.
    Yes absolutely but the nature of the settlement is all that matters. Boyd shouldn't have broken the agreement whether he was originally guilty of anything or not. They knew they'd likely catch him slipping up and capitalize on a second pay out when they included this.
    Mountains#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2024, 02:02 PM   #16
    kmbean

Shows Seen: 96

My Tour Central Stats

Boyd Tinsley is the gift that keeps on giving.
    kmbean is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2024, 03:50 PM   #17
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Can he sell his box for $450k?
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2024, 06:49 PM   #18
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

Does Boyd bring the energiezz or what? Everyone wants a piece of him
    Old 02-23-2024, 07:09 PM   #19
    Glen La Veta

My Tour Central Stats

What a shame. The glory days with Roi and Boyd were magic.
    Glen La Veta is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2024, 07:14 PM   #20
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

You joined in 2023. Are you a lawyer?
    Old 02-23-2024, 07:41 PM   #21
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

This is all a bunch of bullshit.

“Hey, hey, hey
    Just think, while you've been gettin' down and out about the liars
    And the dirty, dirty cheats of the world
    You could've been gettin' down to this sick beat”
    Old 02-23-2024, 09:24 PM   #22
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmp207 View Post
    I think it puts the nail in the coffin of the Boyd at any induction ceremony, it was a long shot already.
    I think people just like to say that.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2024, 05:22 AM   #23
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

We didn’t want him at the ceremony anyways. What a creep.
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2024, 04:54 PM   #24
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

You are the creep! You’ve been hanging around since July 2005
    Old 02-24-2024, 04:56 PM   #25
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

And have 45,083 posts. Creeeep!
    Old 02-24-2024, 06:16 PM   #26
    rmp207

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8nalive View Post
    And have 45,083 posts. Creeeep!

lol I think your joking at least I hope so
    rmp207 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2024, 06:54 PM   #27
    Tomacco

Shows Seen: 134

My Tour Central Stats

Boyd just live streamed himself slapping his hand against an armoir for 7 totally off-rhythm insane minutes while DDTW played in the background. Sigh.
    Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2024, 07:15 PM   #28
    kmbean

Shows Seen: 96

My Tour Central Stats

To be fair at least he didn’t completely overpower the song like RR/Jeff/Tim do now.
    kmbean is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2024, 08:55 PM   #29
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    Boyd just live streamed himself slapping his hand against an armoir for 7 totally off-rhythm insane minutes while DDTW played in the background. Sigh.
    You know it's bad when I can't tell if this is a joke or not...
    Old 02-27-2024, 08:57 PM   #30
    jjlak15

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    You know it's bad when I can't tell if this is a joke or not...
    Nope, not a joke. For some reason I got an alert on my phone when he went live. He was in another world during the whole thing.
    jjlak15 is offline   Reply With Quote