** College Football Season ** - Page 4179 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #125341
emu513

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ** College Football Season **

I can't get on board with the idea that the country with be up in arms if Penn State got left out. I'm more inclined to believe they would be quite content in that situation. And if OSU wasn't the benefactor then there really wouldn't be a controversy because no one wants to see a bunch of dipshit OSU fans running around saying "see I told you so OSU #1".

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #125342
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Youre only citing the SEC though, and they almost always have 2 teams vying for a top spot. That clearly wont be the case for the B1G or the B12 (even if we had a CG) this year.
    Wisconsin vs Penn State wouldn't be an elimination game? We want 3 loss teams in an 8 team Playoff?
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:21 AM   #125343
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    Wisconsin vs Penn State wouldn't be an elimination game? We want 3 loss teams in an 8 team Playoff?

Im saying this year, with a 4 team playoff, no that game clearly isnt a playoff game because PSU could win and still be left out.Theres no use in getting back into the argument, but if Wisc would win the conference I wouldnt have an issue with it because there would still be 3 at large spots (assuming automatic bids for P5 winners).

Or you could just do a ranking for the top 8, then that solves your 3 loss team worry.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.

Last edited by TheLastPig; 11-23-2016 at 08:23 AM.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #125344
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Only if it's USC. Their three losses don't count.
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:27 AM   #125345
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emu513 View Post
    Only if it's USC. Their three losses don't count.
    USC doesn't belong in either.
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:28 AM   #125346
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushB610 View Post
    Well 2 of the 4 analysts on the show had a problem with it and I think Rece was leaning that way too. Soooo..
    ..soooo you've cited 2 anaylists (Reece Davis is not an analyst ftr). The vast, vast majority of college football analysts think that a 1 loss Ohio State team is better and more deserving of a a playoff spot then a 2 loss Big 10 Champion Penn State. So does the committee, at least for now, per the quote I posted. As for everyone else, maybe you can point me towards a few non Penn State fans on this thread who think Penn State would get the nod? Vast, vast majority of people would agree with that decision, and it wouldn't even have anything to do with unlikeability that most people feel towards Penn State.

Also, I think there might be circumstances where a 2 loss team might be more worthy of being chosen over a loss team, IF they have a superior resume. In this case, despite the H2H and B10 championship, Penn State would not have a superior resume.

Last edited by Lee3691; 11-23-2016 at 08:30 AM.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:29 AM   #125347
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Im saying this year, with a 4 team playoff, no that game clearly isnt a playoff game because PSU could win and still be left out.Theres no use in getting back into the argument, but if Wisc would win the conference I wouldnt have an issue with it because there would still be 3 at large spots (assuming automatic bids for P5 winners).

Or you could just do a ranking for the top 8, then that solves your 3 loss team worry.
    I hear ya. It's confusing with all the scenarios. I'm just saying that CCG is an elimination game more often than not.
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #125348
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I mean its not hard to figure out why. PSU squeaked out a win over tOSU. PSU lost to Pitt, and were getting beat badly before a late comeback attempt, and got crushed my Michigan. tOSU would have a win over Michigan. Plus the eye test favors tOSU greatly.

Im not totally disagreeing with you because I dont like the precedent the committee has set with basically disregarding who wins divisions/conferences unless they are using it as a tiebreaker, but this is where we are.
    Mainly responding to the first part but will add about the UM thing too.

PSU lost to Pitt when their defense was decimated with injuries. It also was an early season loss. Both of these things will be considered by the committee

As to UM, yea that was a drubbing like none other. PSU still had some major injuries on defense, but not enough to say the outcome may have been a PSU win (I think full health they have a shot at an upset like they did against tOSU, though maybe more so because of UM QB being out)

Saturday will make things look clearer. The only thing certain about the playoffs is that the SEC and B1G all but have a slot guaranteed. Can not say the same about the ACC, Pac, or Big 12.

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #125349
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

I was making light of the way too serious discussions being had that USC should somehow garner playoff consideration this year.
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #125350
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    ..soooo you've cited 2 anaylists (Reece Davis is not an analyst ftr). The vast, vast majority of college football analysts think that a 1 loss Ohio State team is better and more deserving of a a playoff spot then a 2 loss Big 10 Champion Penn State. So does the committee, at least for now, per the quote I posted. As for everyone else, maybe you can point me towards a few non Penn State fans on this thread who think Penn State would get the nod? Vast, vast majority of people would agree with that decision, and it wouldn't even have anything to do with unlikeability that most people feel towards Penn State.

Also, I think there might be circumstances where a 2 loss team might be more worthy of being chosen over a loss team, IF they have a superior resume. In this case, despite the H2H and B10 championship, Penn State would not have a superior resume.
    you nailed it, bud

i personally, would have no problem with PSU getting in if they win out and tOSU beats UM. however, tOSU would still have a better resume and i would totally understand PSU getting left out. as we've learned, it's hard to break that PSU bubble when it comes to their fans and this is just another example. and to be fair, other fan bases can be similar, usually to a lesser degree though.
    hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #125351
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    USC doesn't belong in either.
    It was a joke, just like USC's ranking.

Quote:
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #125352
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post

PSU lost to Pitt when their defense was decimated with injuries. It also was an early season loss. Both of these things will be considered by the committee

As to UM, yea that was a drubbing like none other. PSU still had some major injuries on defense, but not enough to say the outcome may have been a PSU win (I think full health they have a shot at an upset like they did against tOSU, though maybe more so because of UM QB being out)

Saturday will make things look clearer. The only thing certain about the playoffs is that the SEC and B1G all but have a slot guaranteed. Can not say the same about the ACC, Pac, or Big 12.
    injuries. Good football teams have depth. Once, Ohio State won a playoff championship with their 3rd string QB, but that's a story for a different time.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #125353
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Southern Cal is playing well now after that awful start to the year. Still have a shot at the Rose Bowl.
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #125354
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post

I dont think the committee is going to care much about injuries considering they still consider the CMU game a loss for the Pokes.

At the very least its not enough to sway any kind of decision. They still lost to a 4 loss Pitt team.

Quote:
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #125355
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

yea pulling the injury card for your losses is not a good look
    hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #125356
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    injuries. Good football teams have depth. Once, Ohio State won a playoff championship with their 3rd string QB, but that's a story for a different time.

This, especially in college. Depth is what wins you games. Everyone deals with injuries.

WVU has played without their #1 CB the entire season, you think the committee would even think about that in any circumstance?

Quote:
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #125357
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

I'm fine with USC in the Rose Bowl. Not playoff.
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #125358
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emu513 View Post
    I'm fine with USC in the Rose Bowl. Not playoff.
    Yeah I was never considering them at all. Even though they've turned it up, they lost two more games than they needed to lose.

This QB might be the real deal. They could be in the Playoff next year.

Main thing I hate about the Playoff is how no one talks about bowls anymore. The Rose Bowl could be Southern Cal vs Michigan/B1G Champ assuming tOSU gets in if they beat UM. That would be a great matchup.
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #125359
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

It would never happen, but I'd be more than content with them filling a 4 or 8 team playoff by taking the F+ advanced statistics rankings, taking the top 10 teams from that ranking, and sorting them by record. Taking the top 10 in F+ is about the boundary for removing the garbage that has a good record but didn't play anybody, and sorting by record takes results into account and makes sure teams that suffered multiple losses don't get in. If teams have the same record, then whoever has the highest F+ ranking would be seeded ahead. An 8 team playoff at this moment would be:

1. Alabama
    2. Michigan
    3. Ohio State
    4. Clemson
    5. Washington
    6. Louisville
    7. Wisconsin
    8. Colorado

Obviously Colorado appears to be an outlier here, but advanced stats say they are good, and there are 2 more weeks, with them facing Utah and then (if they win) Washington to either prove their case or slip out of contention. Penn State (who we are so focused on here) would have plenty of room to make these rankings as well with the last 2 weeks to play. I'd much prefer something based on advanced stats than auto-bids that could potentially bring us Virginia Tech or Okie State (currently #23 and #26 in F+, respectively).
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #125360
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

People really want to see Alabama kick the living shit out of Colorado on national TV?

Oh yeah that 2-8 matchup might be the B1G CCG. This 8 team playoff needs to happen today
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:45 AM   #125361
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

2 of the 4 on the show so that's half right there.. and Rece is more than a host.

Again I'm not saying the entire country will be up in arms, but if you think the only people who will have an issue with Ohio st getting in over PSU are PSU fans you are definitely wrong.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailtopitt View Post
    you nailed it, bud

i personally, would have no problem with PSU getting in if they win out and tOSU beats UM. however, tOSU would still have a better resume and i would totally understand PSU getting left out. as we've learned, it's hard to break that PSU bubble when it comes to their fans and this is just another example. and to be fair, other fan bases can be similar, usually to a lesser degree though.
    Wouldn't matter if it was PSU/Ohio State or 2 other teams that I didn't care about.

I'll say this again, most likely scenario is PSU and Ohio st both getting in.

Quote:

This, especially in college. Depth is what wins you games. Everyone deals with injuries.

WVU has played without their #1 CB the entire season, you think the committee would even think about that in any circumstance?
    There Is a difference between losing your #1 CB and being down to your 5th, 6th and 7th LBs on the depth chart. Not making an excuse im just saying.
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #125362
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    People really want to see Alabama kick the living shit out of Colorado on national TV?

Oh yeah that 2-8 matchup might be the B1G CCG. This 8 team playoff needs to happen today
    Why is that the argument that gets brought up?

Who cares? Let them have their shot. If they get crushed, oh well.

Quote:
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:48 AM   #125363
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

are two espn analysts seriously being touted here as the voice of the country?
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:48 AM   #125364
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

and is the nebulous "voice of the country" being touted as a reason team A should get in over team B?
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:50 AM   #125365
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Neither .. I'm just saying people will have an issue with it, Lee making it seem like no one in the entire world (PSU fans aside) would care tho.
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:50 AM   #125366
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Why is that the argument that gets brought up?

Who cares? Let them have their shot. If they get crushed, oh well.
    They had their shot all year! They lost. That was the shot. They have two losses and it was against the two best teams they've played all year.

The Jaguars and 49'ers are getting their shot at the playoffs right now and they're losing. That's their shot. The season. Should they get more shots?
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #125367
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They had their shot all year! They lost. That was the shot. They have two losses and it was against the two best teams they've played all year.

The Jaguars and 49'ers are getting their shot at the playoffs right now and they're losing. That's their shot. The season. Should they get more shots?
    12/32 NFL teams make the playoffs... including all division winners (even if theyre 8-8!)

4/128 FBS teams make the playoff, and you dont need to win your conference to get in.

That is not helping your argument.

Quote:
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #125368
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushB610 View Post
    2 of the 4 on the show so that's half right there.. and Rece is more than a host.

Again I'm not saying the entire country will be up in arms, but if you think the only people who will have an issue with Ohio st getting in over PSU are PSU fans you are definitely wrong.

Wouldn't matter if it was PSU/Ohio State or 2 other teams that I didn't care about.

I'll say this again, most likely scenario is PSU and Ohio st both getting in.

There Is a difference between losing your #1 CB and being down to your 5th, 6th and 7th LBs on the depth chart. Not making an excuse im just saying.
    You seem pretty sure, and I'd be down for putting a wager on this if you are interested. Criteria would be that Washington and Clemson win out and finish with 1 loss (I think I agree with you that Penn State has a good shot if Washington loses a game). Wager is void if either Michigan beats Ohio State or Penn State loses in B1G championship game, as said scenario of Penn State as B1G champ wouldn't happen.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #125369
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

why do people want usc or colorado or whoever in the playoff? is it everyone gets a ribbon? do people just want more games?

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #125370
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    12/32 NFL teams make the playoffs... including all division winners (even if theyre 8-8!)

4/128 FBS teams make the playoff, and you dont need to win your conference to get in.

That is not helping your argument.
    These comparisons make no sense. The NFL plays 16 games. This isn't the NFL, MLB, NBA, or NCAA Basketball. Comparing the CFB Playoff to any other post season is irrelevant.

Colorado had two chances to impress the committee and make a statement to why they should be considered and they lost.

Tags
    football , ncaa