New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 96 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-10-2021, 12:12 PM   #2851
RSSR
Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
I guess it’s not widely known (I thought it was), that Rodrigo Simas runs their social media. So yea he’s a big longtime fan!
I guess ask him if the band will road test songs the band is leaning towards putting on the album?
RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-10-2021, 12:22 PM   #2852
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    The main issue with DMB’s social media is that it’s so impersonal and has no personality. The real issue is you can tell nobody from the band is actually involved with it. Really just needs more band involvement. Basically all they do is announce band member birthdays, album anniversaries (along with “which song is your favorite?”) and post song lyrics.
    their social media feels like its run by a 58 year old man who barely learned the basics of the medium and hasnt actually looked at anything besides facebook at any point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 12:24 PM   #2853
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Wasnt the Rodrigo hiring relatively recent?

Quote:
    Old 06-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #2854
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Carson needs to get hired in some capacity, and be permitted to share all or nearly as much as he does with us already. Us fans would greatly appreciate that!
    Old 06-10-2021, 12:53 PM   #2855
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    their social media feels like its run by a 58 year old man who barely learned the basics of the medium and hasnt actually looked at anything besides facebook at any point.
    This description is perfect. Their socials are fucking abysmal. Posting pictures and videos from 10 years ago, announcing live releases/concerts/sales and posting bullshit questions like "What song is your favorite on Busted Stuff" is literally all they ever do. I'm not even sure how you could do an interview with the person in charge of DMB's social media since they do such a half-assed and incompetent job. What do you even ask them? They literally do the most basic shit possible. Your average 18 year old marketing major from Bum Fuck University could do an infinitely better job than what is currently done now.

Good luck with that podcast. I'm not sure how a discussion about posting random pictures of band members or announcing a 20% sale in the WH store could be interesting. Asking someone who sucks at their job to talk about their work is a tough task.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any major mainstream band that does a more half-hearted and listless job engaging fans on social media. I'm surprised RCA records hasn't stepped in and said something like, "Your last two records have significantly underperformed and the social media campaigns you've done to promote your records and band since 2009 has been incompetents and almost non-existent. Someone young from the label is going to take over your socials since it seems like you guys have had some lazy motherfucker in his 60s with zero social media acumen doing it for a decade."
    Old 06-10-2021, 12:56 PM   #2856
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

To be fair, im pretty sure Rodrigo is a photographer first, and the DMB fan club leader in Brazil.

But yea, they could literally have an intern in their sophomore year of college do their social media for free and it would immediately be 50x better. Or put the call out to fans, you would absolutely find tons of talented people willing to do it at no cost.

In the end, as is always mentioned, its absolutely baffling this band is managed by the same group that manages Phish.

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastPig; 06-10-2021 at 12:59 PM.
    Old 06-10-2021, 01:02 PM   #2857
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wasnt the Rodrigo hiring relatively recent?
    I think within the past few years. Definitely before they started airing the drive ins. If you're interested, the credits at the end of the drive ins (I think all, maybe just some of the drive ins) list by name the majority of people involved with the band, including Rodrigo.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 01:05 PM   #2858
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    This description is perfect. Their socials are fucking abysmal. Posting pictures and videos from 10 years ago, announcing live releases/concerts/sales and posting bullshit questions like "What song is your favorite on Busted Stuff" is literally all they ever do. I'm not even sure how you could do an interview with the person in charge of DMB's social media since they do such a half-assed and incompetent job. What do you even ask them? They literally do the most basic shit possible. Your average 18 year old marketing major from Bum Fuck University could do an infinitely better job than what is currently done now.

Good luck with that podcast. I'm not sure how a discussion about posting random pictures of band members or announcing a 20% sale in the WH store could be interesting. Asking someone who sucks at their job to talk about their work is a tough task.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any major mainstream band that does a more half-hearted and listless job engaging fans on social media. I'm surprised RCA records hasn't stepped in and said something like, "Your last two records have significantly underperformed and the social media campaigns you've done to promote your records and band since 2009 has been incompetents and almost non-existent. Someone young from the label is going to take over your socials since it seems like you guys have had some lazy motherfucker in his 60s with zero social media acumen doing it for a decade."

Lmao, the elephant in the room...Someone finally said it!

Buttt, we don’t know what he is told he can share/post and what he can’t. So I think you’re being a little too aggressive. Maybe he is pushing for more/better social media posts, but they’re denying him. We just don’t know. Maybe the podcast interview will clear this up though...
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #2859
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Wasn't Rodrigo an employee sometime after LT27 was released?
    Old 06-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #2860
    space_raven
    crawling out the mud

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    To be fair, im pretty sure Rodrigo is a photographer first, and the DMB fan club leader in Brazil.

But yea, they could literally have an intern in their sophomore year of college do their social media for free and it would immediately be 50x better. Or put the call out to fans, you would absolutely find tons of talented people willing to do it at no cost.

In the end, as is always mentioned, its absolutely baffling this band is managed by the same group that manages Phish.
    i agree with all everyone has said about their awful social media.

and the same mgmt. group as phish, who do a good job on social media.

no real excuse for it at this point.

makes me think there is an unwillingness to engage on social media from within the band. and with dave as the leader, i think it stems from him, like his last venture into social media was Tumblr... freakin' Tumblr

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
    No that's my bad. I am completely fucking murdered hammered. I can barley see the screen. I go eat now.
    space_raven is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 01:11 PM   #2861
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Yikes, with the opinions being espoused in this thread, I'm not surprised that people like Hilly exist, and that the band doesn't engage us more often then they already do with this entitlement stance.

Last edited by RSSR; 06-10-2021 at 01:12 PM.
    Old 06-10-2021, 01:27 PM   #2862
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

He has done a lot more for and meant a lot more to DMB and the community than just running their social media, but thanks anyways.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #2863
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

The e-word has been thrown out. Everybody drink!
    Old 06-10-2021, 01:30 PM   #2864
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Yikes, with the opinions being espoused in this thread, I'm not surprised that people like Hilly exist, and that the band doesn't engage us more often then they already do with this entitlement stance.
    How is asking for even competent social media use in comparison to the rest of the industry being entitled?

Quote:
    Old 06-10-2021, 01:34 PM   #2865
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How is asking for even competent social media use in comparison to the rest of the industry being entitled?

Yeah, was thinking the same thing. It doesn’t make sense...it’s def a buzzword these days though.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 01:53 PM   #2866
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Pretty obvious to me that when it comes to their social media, Rodrigo likely has access only to the things that the fan base in general has access to. Nothing from the “vault” or anything like that is ever posted and any news story that is posted typically come we after the official website announces it.
    Yeah, when people say their social media presence absolutely sucks (it does), I don’t think most are point the finger at the poor sucker stuck in charge of managing the accounts.

If there’s no room for genuine/original content creation because of the boundaries set by the employer, you can’t blame the person who simply manages the log-on.

Anyone blaming Rodrigo for the lack of content and social engagement is up creek

Last edited by BTBaboon; 06-10-2021 at 01:55 PM.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #2867
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Carson needs to get hired in some capacity, and be permitted to share all or nearly as much as he does with us already. Us fans would greatly appreciate that!

Carson has done more to engage the fan base in the last 3-4 years than anyone with an official role in the band.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 01:59 PM   #2868
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

People can choose to comment on literally any aspect of DMB positively or negatively, especially when they are paying customers
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #2869
    Vorony

Shows Seen: 58

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    He has done a lot more for and meant a lot more to DMB and the community than just running their social media, but thanks anyways.
    I don’t think anyone is discounting the other contributions he brings to the community and the band. But he absolutely sucks at his job as social media manager - if the band’s management isn’t actually limiting what he’s able to do. If they are, then that’s another story obviously and the outrage can be directed towards them.

But as stated in here already, the same management team oversees Phish and their social media channels. So it does make you wonder.
    Vorony is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 03:40 PM   #2870
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Good questions and actually ones we already have on our list to ask! Interested in hearing those answers

Great minds think alike

I don't envy you trying to pick his brain about a sensitive topic. Obviously he can't talk shit about DMB's oversight of social media- so it'll be interesting to see how the topic is approached. I know Rodrigo is a huge fan so I bet he wishes he could do a lot more too.

I'm super excited to listen!
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #2871
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vorony View Post
    I don’t think anyone is discounting the other contributions he brings to the community and the band. But he absolutely sucks at his job as social media manager - if the band’s management isn’t actually limiting what he’s able to do. If they are, then that’s another story obviously and the outrage can be directed towards them.

But as stated in here already, the same management team oversees Phish and their social media channels. So it does make you wonder.

My point is that he’s not coming on the podcast because he runs their social media. That will be a small part of the discussion, but the interview will be focused on many more topics than that
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 03:48 PM   #2872
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vorony View Post

It’s 100% the dmb org handcuffing what is available and directing him what they want.

Quote:
    Old 06-10-2021, 03:51 PM   #2873
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Yeah, when people say their social media presence absolutely sucks (it does), I don’t think most are point the finger at the poor sucker stuck in charge of managing the accounts.

If there’s no room for genuine/original content creation because of the boundaries set by the employer, you can’t blame the person who simply manages the log-on.

Anyone blaming Rodrigo for the lack of content and social engagement is up creek
    More my stance than anything.
    Old 06-10-2021, 03:52 PM   #2874
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    People can choose to comment on literally any aspect of DMB positively or negatively, especially when they are paying customers
    But DMB doesn't HAVE to share what they don't want the public to know yet. People pay for tickets, for downloads, for LTs, not for this knowledge.
    Old 06-10-2021, 05:46 PM   #2875
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    But DMB doesn't HAVE to share what they don't want the public to know yet. People pay for tickets, for downloads, for LTs, not for this knowledge.

Correct, I think the comments in general are DMB social media is poor relative to some other bands, that doesn't mean they owe us anything album related specifically. DMB is actually light years better with social media than another band I'm a big fan of Bon Iver.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 06:51 PM   #2876
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Bon Iver seems more intentional though. DMB floats in a weird middle area that feels like it’s trying but is just years behind anything current on these platforms.

Quote:
    Old 06-10-2021, 07:33 PM   #2877
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Correct, I think the comments in general are DMB social media is poor relative to some other bands, that doesn't mean they owe us anything album related specifically. DMB is actually light years better with social media than another band I'm a big fan of Bon Iver.
    Just follow Justin Vernon separately. I enjoy his content more.

Speaking of this, you know who deserves a shoutout for really nailing the social media game? John Mayer. The dude meme'ed himself into a hit single a few years ago, which will be on his new album.

But he gives lessons on there, takes questions, makes small little comedic bits, and just generally seems really down to earth these days.
    Old 06-10-2021, 07:44 PM   #2878
    space_raven
    crawling out the mud

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's true for me as well... Lots of bands I'm into have way less social media than dmb

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
    No that's my bad. I am completely fucking murdered hammered. I can barley see the screen. I go eat now.
    space_raven is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 05:21 AM   #2879
    dmbredsox36
    'celebrate we will'

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanbrutus View Post
    Just follow Justin Vernon separately. I enjoy his content more.

Speaking of this, you know who deserves a shoutout for really nailing the social media game? John Mayer. The dude meme'ed himself into a hit single a few years ago, which will be on his new album.

But he gives lessons on there, takes questions, makes small little comedic bits, and just generally seems really down to earth these days.
    Totally agree, John Mayer's owned his social media games for several years now. Current Mood on IG, the viral New Light video, guitar lessons and duet jams on TikTok, etc.

I don't want to hear the differences in target audience and whatever other excuse people have -- I've rarely seen a more pathetic social media presence than DMB's.
    dmbredsox36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2021, 06:12 AM   #2880
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I would love to hear Sniper (this Sniper) interviewing Rodrigo, that podcast would be epic