New interview with Tim Reynolds - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-29-2021, 10:06 AM   #31
Eric Kinser
LookAtMeDancing

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New interview with Tim Reynolds

it starts about 16-17 minutes in. Definitely talking about new material recorded during the pandemic.
Eric Kinser is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-29-2021, 11:41 AM   #32
    greyson1289

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

So excited!
    greyson1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #33
    greyson1289

My Tour Central Stats

I will add one thing. My source has heard a close to or finished Bismarck
    Old 05-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #34
    DMB1JW

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greyson1289 View Post
    Awesome! I'm pumped for some new DMB Studio Material. Did your source say how the studio Bismarck sounded?
    DMB1JW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #35
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Does that mean they would have re-recorded it, or that they would be reusing the takes from the Cavallo sessions leading up to Come Tomorrow?
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #36
    greyson1289

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Does that mean they would have re-recorded it, or that they would be reusing the takes from the Cavallo sessions leading up to Come Tomorrow?
    I can certainly ask because that's a good question.
    Old 05-29-2021, 01:37 PM   #37
    greyson1289

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1JW View Post
    Awesome! I'm pumped for some new DMB Studio Material. Did your source say how the studio Bismarck sounded?
    Let's just say he loves the song in general and was very happy with the result. Said he had a similar reaction after hearing Again and Again studio version.
    Old 05-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #38
    blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bibby1044 View Post
    I definitely didnt hear that reference although it was hard to hear at times throughout the interview.
    At 29:10 Tim is asked a direct question about TR3, in reference to TR3's last 3 albums with the latest lineup.
    Tim responds, and at 31:15 he mentions the two songs that lineup had already played before recording on the last TR3 album.

I'm not saying there won't be old music on the new DMB album. But that is NOT what Tim was talking about.
    blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2021, 01:57 PM   #39
    DMB1JW

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Let's just say he loves the song in general and was very happy with the result. Said he had a similar reaction after hearing Again and Again studio version.
    Thanks again for sharing. That's awesome news to me. Love A&A studio.
    DMB1JW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2021, 01:59 PM   #40
    greyson1289

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1JW View Post
    Thanks again for sharing. That's awesome news to me. Love A&A studio.
    Agreed. Top 5 studio song for me since Big Whiskey album!
    Old 05-29-2021, 02:14 PM   #41
    bmt322

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I've never heard Tim talk this much. This is awesome.
    Old 05-29-2021, 04:19 PM   #42
    kenticus

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Hearing Tim talk about dmb process is hilarious.....basically he gets called in and certainly works on his parts but Dave is the writer and Tim’s stuff gets crafted in and Tim doesn’t always really know how and when his stuff fits. If I was him, I’d be cool with it too - it’s a good gig, gets to play with a huge band, they give him tons of freedom in terms of what and how he plays, just you don’t necessarily always when recording albums know how you fit.

So we know that basically Dave and Carter hashed out the core of the album and then started bringing everyone else in - in the case of Tim and buddy, those guys were in at same time and sounds like Stefan was in at different time and then obviously horns were in together and now obviously you have the guys that were in LA together overseeing the orchestra recordings and whatever last overdubs were happening. Curious to hear these jams.
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2021, 05:01 PM   #43
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Finally had time to watch the full interview, Tim's a great dude, enjoyable to watch
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2021, 07:12 PM   #44
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    Hearing Tim talk about dmb process is hilarious.....basically he gets called in and certainly works on his parts but Dave is the writer and Tim’s stuff gets crafted in and Tim doesn’t always really know how and when his stuff fits. If I was him, I’d be cool with it too - it’s a good gig, gets to play with a huge band, they give him tons of freedom in terms of what and how he plays, just you don’t necessarily always when recording albums know how you fit.

So we know that basically Dave and Carter hashed out the core of the album and then started bringing everyone else in - in the case of Tim and buddy, those guys were in at same time and sounds like Stefan was in at different time and then obviously horns were in together and now obviously you have the guys that were in LA together overseeing the orchestra recordings and whatever last overdubs were happening. Curious to hear these jams.
    Not gonna lie. I kinda took Tim’s explanations as a negative. I will say I’m hoping Dave and Carter working together on the entire thing to start is something new for them and hopefully leads to something great but Tims response to that question certainly makes me wonder how talented people like Jeff, rashawn, buddy, Tim aren’t a part of any creative process that can provide some refreshing sounds. I feel like I remember hearing that Jeff was part of beachball which obviously turned out solid...yet come tomorrow he’s barely featured. The whole thing is mind boggling but it’s nothing new for all of us here that have been bitching for a decade. Hopefully this album is much better than the last. If it sounds like VITR quality I’ll be good.
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2021, 10:56 PM   #45
    kenticus

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not gonna lie. I kinda took Tim’s explanations as a negative. I will say I’m hoping Dave and Carter working together on the entire thing to start is something new for them and hopefully leads to something great but Tims response to that question certainly makes me wonder how talented people like Jeff, rashawn, buddy, Tim aren’t a part of any creative process that can provide some refreshing sounds. I feel like I remember hearing that Jeff was part of beachball which obviously turned out solid...yet come tomorrow he’s barely featured. The whole thing is mind boggling but it’s nothing new for all of us here that have been bitching for a decade. Hopefully this album is much better than the last. If it sounds like VITR quality I’ll be good.
    I do agree that I have a bit of concern in that the songs themselves 5/7 members sound like really aren’t involved in the crafting of. That feels a bit off. However, at least it not Dave off by himself and it’s Carter that worked off what Dave started going at it with him. Tim also never says anything about restrictions or anything like that so it’s not like he’s a true “session” player - imagine and from all we’ve heard over the years that these guys get some say in things. Imagine the pandemic messed some of that up a bit with the social distancing and all but we’ll see...
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-30-2021, 04:47 AM   #46
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I do agree that I have a bit of concern in that the songs themselves 5/7 members sound like really aren’t involved in the crafting of. That feels a bit off. However, at least it not Dave off by himself and it’s Carter that worked off what Dave started going at it with him. Tim also never says anything about restrictions or anything like that so it’s not like he’s a true “session” player - imagine and from all we’ve heard over the years that these guys get some say in things. Imagine the pandemic messed some of that up a bit with the social distancing and all but we’ll see...
    Isn't that how a lot of the early songs came about though? There are a lot of songs from RTT and UTTAD that Dave wrote before the band got involved. I'm not sure its a good or bad thing.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-30-2021, 06:59 AM   #47
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I’m totally cool with Dave and Carter coming up with the core of the new tunes. If there’s anyone I’d want working things out with Dave as he’s writing it’s Carter Beauford.

It would be cool if the band wrote together more, but that’s kind of how things are working these days. Technology has made it so much easier for bands to do things this way. My band has been doing this and everyone has really liked the process. I write the song and send a scratch track of the vocals and acoustic. Bass and drums work their parts, lead guitar adds his flare when they’re done and then I come in and redo the vocals, guitar and add additional background instruments. The guys like it because instead of trying to hash out parts while we’re at a rehearsal they get to sit on the song for a while and work their parts out at their own pace. With DMB being spread out all over the place and involved in multiple projects it makes sense they piece things together. It doesn’t mean the results won’t be as good, but I think one downside is more than likely we’re still going to get pretty concise polished 4-4:30 minute studio tracks with little to no jams.
    KevinTH is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-30-2021, 08:23 AM   #48
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBCardinal View Post
    Isn't that how a lot of the early songs came about though? There are a lot of songs from RTT and UTTAD that Dave wrote before the band got involved. I'm not sure its a good or bad thing.
    Dave single handedly wrote the majority of songs on Remember 2 Things, Under The Table And Dreaming and Busted Stuff (The Lillywhite Sessions). He single handedly wrote half or more of the songs on both Crash and Before These Crowded Streets.

Considering we're talking about their best albums here, I'm going to say that I'm perfectly OK with Dave (and Carter) being the primary songwriter(s) for this upcoming album.

Their songs/music is just different when there are too many cooks in the kitchen.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-30-2021, 08:24 AM   #49
    greyson1289

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    Dave single handedly wrote the majority of songs on Remember 2 Things, Under The Table And Dreaming and Busted Stuff (The Lillywhite Sessions). He single handedly wrote half or more of the songs on both Crash and Before These Crowded Streets.

Considering we're talking about their best albums here, I'm going to say that I'm perfectly OK with Dave (and Carter) being the primary songwriter(s) for this upcoming album.

Their songs/music is just different when there are too many cooks in the kitchen.
    Nailed it
    Old 05-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #50
    karczews41

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Absolutely. They can of course create great songs with everyone involved (#41) but many of the "classics" weren't created that way.
    karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #51
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I’m totally cool with Dave and Carter coming up with the core of the new tunes. If there’s anyone I’d want working things out with Dave as he’s writing it’s Carter Beauford.

It would be cool if the band wrote together more, but that’s kind of how things are working these days. Technology has made it so much easier for bands to do things this way. My band has been doing this and everyone has really liked the process. I write the song and send a scratch track of the vocals and acoustic. Bass and drums work their parts, lead guitar adds his flare when they’re done and then I come in and redo the vocals, guitar and add additional background instruments. The guys like it because instead of trying to hash out parts while we’re at a rehearsal they get to sit on the song for a while and work their parts out at their own pace. With DMB being spread out all over the place and involved in multiple projects it makes sense they piece things together. It doesn’t mean the results won’t be as good, but I think one downside is more than likely we’re still going to get pretty concise polished 4-4:30 minute studio tracks with little to no jams.
    Quote:

I agree with Dave with help of carter writing the core of songs isnt a bad thing. I was more elluding to exactly what Kevin said above, were gonna get short tunes with little to no jam sections because the members didnt provide input on the song structure and they wouldnt have had the chance to all collaborate on looking for those types of opportunities. Hopefully we get something at the very least cohesive that flows together unlike CT.
    Old 05-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #52
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

greyson, are there any other tidbits you can throw our way? haha
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-30-2021, 01:52 PM   #53
    dpduke5173

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Thought it was interesting to hear that a lot of the electric guitars Tim plays with DMB are not necessarily owned by him but by DMB. Something I’d never heard before.
    Old 05-30-2021, 01:54 PM   #54
    greyson1289

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groogrux27 View Post
    greyson, are there any other tidbits you can throw our way? haha
    Based on what I have been told and can relay:

- New album in 2021: 100%

- Bismarck to be included: Source heard close to or finished recording so he expects it to be on new album.

- Single prior to Raleigh tour opener: Was told "very likely." Similar to 2012 and Gaucho release prior to TX shows.
    Old 05-30-2021, 01:56 PM   #55
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Awesome, thanks greyson!
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-30-2021, 02:37 PM   #56
    djamieb

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

- Bismarck to be included: Source heard close to or finished recording so he expects it to be on new album.

- Single prior to Raleigh tour opener: Was told "very likely." Similar to 2012 and Gaucho release prior to TX shows.

Dope!! Thanks for sharing what you can! All of that sounds terrific to me. We definitely appreciate ya', bud!
    Old 05-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #57
    BruceW

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

To piggyback off this.

1. Never say 100% with this band, but that’s the expectation

2. This was also done before Come Tomorrow but was scrapped. I would assume our sources are different and if so, then this would be the 3rd source that’s I’m aware of to mention this song for this album.

3. Interesting.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-30-2021, 04:53 PM   #58
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Bismarck without the violin or with?
    Old 05-30-2021, 04:58 PM   #59
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

much thanks greyson!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-30-2021, 06:11 PM   #60
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    To piggyback off this.

1. Never say 100% with this band, but that’s the expectation

2. This was also done before Come Tomorrow but was scrapped. I would assume our sources are different and if so, then this would be the 3rd source that’s I’m aware of to mention this song for this album.

3. Interesting.
    Do we know if it was re-recorded or will they use the old session version?
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote