New York Yankees - Page 101 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-30-2006, 09:05 PM   #3001
Trippin4136

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New York Yankees

well Wright and Brown are just about equally terrible. I may be wrong, but don't the Yanks have the option to back out of the 3rd year of Wright's deal? I think that may be true...

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-30-2006, 09:14 PM   #3002
    DMBfan41
    This Is My Life

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

oh yeah, it doesn't make any sense at all. Hard to believe the Yankees and Red Sox won't face each other in July or August
    Old 04-30-2006, 09:30 PM   #3003
    bdfresh62

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

So who is starting against the Sox Monday and Tuesday?

My Stats
    bdfresh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-30-2006, 10:16 PM   #3004
    DMBfan41
    This Is My Life

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Wang vs Wakefield
    Chacon vs Beckett

i think
    Old 05-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #3005
    angelces
    oldskool temptress

Shows Seen: 101

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

wtf man
    Old 05-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #3006
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Matsui's hand....
    Also, Papelbon scares me, he's DAMN good. Ugh.
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #3007
    Trippin4136

My Tour Central Stats

104 pitches for Chacon thru 4 2/3 is NOT good...obviously Matsui being out will at least be hellish till Sheff gets back and then who knows...and again the bullpen shows its inconsistency. What can they do about Sturtze, he can't anyone out at anytime? It's going to a telling sign for the season.
    Old 05-12-2006, 02:43 AM   #3008
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Matsui being down for 3 months hurts but our OF isn't gonna suffer much... well at least once Shef gets back. Bad timing there.

Crosby and Bernie will be fine in LF (remember 98? The Curtis, Spencer, Ledee, Straw revolving door out there?) Offense will suffer a bit of a loss but nothing drastic I don't think a run every two or three games to be conservative.

Take heart, our freakin ace had an aneurysm and was out 4+ months 1996. He came back and helped us to a title. This ain't time to mail it in just yet!

Sturtz however is awful. He has caught Mark Wohlers disease.

Last edited by Lcsulla; 05-12-2006 at 02:47 AM.
    Lcsulla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #3009
    Trippin4136

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lcsulla
    Matsui being down for 3 months hurts but our OF isn't gonna suffer much... well at least once Shef gets back. Bad timing there.

Crosby and Bernie will be fine in LF (remember 98? The Curtis, Spencer, Ledee, Straw revolving door out there?) Offense will suffer a bit of a loss but nothing drastic I don't think a run every two or three games to be conservative.

Take heart, our freakin ace had an aneurysm and was out 4+ months 1996. He came back and helped us to a title. This ain't time to mail it in just yet!

Sturtz however is awful. He has caught Mark Wohlers disease.
    I agree...Matsui, although a big loss, isn't as earth shattering as others would make you believe. The Yankees have won titles with less in their lineup. It is just going to be very difficult till Sheffield gets back - which hopefully is on time. I, for one, would love to see Melky Cabrera really get to shine.

Trust me, Melky has got mad skills. I've been around him a lot recently, he's gonna be a real good one. People forget he's only 20!!
    Old 05-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #3010
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

He went 2/3 at the game I was at the other day.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #3011
    GOB_

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

This is what separates Matsui from a lot of other players...

Quote:
    "Due to this injury, I feel very sorry and, at the same time, very disappointed to have let my teammates down," Matsui said in a statement. "I will do my best to fully recover and return to the field to help my team once again. I would like to thank Joe Torre from the bottom of my heart for having been considerate of my consecutive games played streak these past several years and for placing me in the lineup every day."

GOB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #3012
    smeritt

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Dont know any players who would make a statement. ANY player
    University of Arizona

smeritt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-13-2006, 01:10 PM   #3013
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Damon took a newspaper ad out to thank the fans when he got traded. I thought that was pretty classy... but Matsui is truely a class act.
    Old 05-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #3014
    Trippin4136

My Tour Central Stats

truly classy by Matsui. he wasn't under any obligation to formally apologize but only makes his presence and connection to the fans stronger.

Columbus LF Kevin Reese was called up to the Bronx. I would be under the impression that until Sheff gets back its going to be Reese and Cabrera starting in the outfield slots.

By the way, Boston fans can shove there attacking of the Yanks pitching up their asses...

Yankees starters are 13-2 in their last 18 starts.
    Old 05-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #3015
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Moooooose!
    Old 05-14-2006, 05:26 PM   #3016
    TempHelpNeeded
    Green Hat Guy

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33
    Damon took a newspaper ad out to thank the fans when he got traded. I thought that was pretty classy... but Matsui is truely a class act.

It's called don't leave behind burnt bridges...Damon is an asshole. And he always has been. Read his book...you'll eat it up. He completely takes out his ex-wife who was attacked for no reason. He just doesn't want HIS image to be bad...he could care less about what he is wearing. As long as it comes in GREEN. I'm a die-hard Red Sox fan and I hate the Yankees...but I also do respect the Yankees like none other. Damon is the complete opposite of classy...Matsui on the other hand did something I'm surprised any baseballer would do. Props to him for making ego-driven superstars look like idiots. Damon is eventually going to be eaten alive by the Yankee media...

BTW...good series so far between the two rivals. We've taken the upper hand for the year, but then again we got some 14-17 plus more games... ...so we got plenty more to go. Here's to another ball busting end of the year!

TempHelpNeeded is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2006, 08:32 PM   #3017
    gtu100

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

How about Jorge fucking Posada ?!?! Five RBI (including the walk-off HR and two sac. flies, not to mention the defensive play at the plate. I was thinking while he was up that he wasn't the best guy in a pressure hitting situation. Boy, did he prove me wrong! Not to take away from Jeter's night. Funny thing, tomorrow is the five-year anniversary of Jason Giambi's 14th inning walk off grand slam against the Twins and the eight-year anniversary of David Wells' perfect game. Guess they decided to do it a day early this year...
    Old 05-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #3018
    Trippin4136

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gtu100
    How about Jorge fucking Posada ?!?! Five RBI (including the walk-off HR and two sac. flies, not to mention the defensive play at the plate. I was thinking while he was up that he wasn't the best guy in a pressure hitting situation. Boy, did he prove me wrong! Not to take away from Jeter's night. Funny thing, tomorrow is the five-year anniversary of Jason Giambi's 14th inning walk off grand slam against the Twins and the eight-year anniversary of David Wells' perfect game. Guess they decided to do it a day early this year...
    truly an unbelievable game tonight...Jeets and Posada picked up the entire team. Who knows what this could for them over the next few weeks. 14 runs w/o Matsui, Giambi and Sheff is friggin ridiculous, especially after being down 10-1.
    Old 05-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #3019
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Meh... apparently a direct link doesn't work for anyone who's not a myspace user. Anyhow, here's my second blog entry on myspace (first was on DMB) comments and critiques on subject, substance, grammer, and writing style woudl be appreciated. Thanks - hope some of you enjoy it.!

Quote:
    The legend of the New York Yankees began long before my time. In truth the Bronx Bombers have nearly the same number of World Series championships as I have years on earth. I admit I never saw the legendary Yankees teams of the 1920's, 1930's, 1940's, 1950's, 1960's and 1970's that created and strengthened the legend over the course of the last century. I suffered through some very dark times in the 'Mattingly era.' Teams that were loaded with power and RBI guys yet missing a key component, pitching. I stayed with them during those tough times because they were my team. You can't change your allegiance just because a team doesnt win, just ask any Red Sox fan who followed them before 2004! I didn't want to and I probably couldn't have if it crossed my mind. I firmly believe I would have been excommunicated from my family had I chosen any team but the Yankees. I was being put in Yankee hats and shirts before I was old enough to dress myself.

My entire family has been New York and Connecticut residents and Yankee fans for nearly a century. I grew up hearing stories about the great players on past Yankee teams. My grandparents and great aunts and uncles told me of the thrills they got watching guys like Joe DiMaggio, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Allie Reynolds, Don Larsen, Lefty Gomez, Dill Dickey, and many other legendary names that now occupy a spot in Cooperstown or Monument Park.

My great uncle had been at the Stadium for Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 series and his best recollection was that on the way to the Stadium he was frustrated that he could only get tickets to see "that bum Larsen" pitch. Another great uncle of mine told me when he was growing up in Yonkers he would occasionally run into Babe Ruth in their 'gin mill.' Whether its true or not is really not the point, these guys were icons of baseball, their fame transcended the game and the ages. My grandparents had their championship teams and Yankee heroes they could talk about forever.

Not to be outdone by their parents in a conversation about great Yankee teams; my mother, aunts, and uncles talked about other Yankee legends like Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Bobby Richardson, Elston Howard, Whitey Ford, Thurman Munson, Graig Nettles, Ron Guidry, and Reggie Jackson. Once again, a collection of players who through triumph after triumph carved their names into the history of baseball.

From the 'younger' generation of my family I heard about the electricity in the Stadium when Gator struck out 18 in a game. My Mom said it was the only time she had been at the stadium and heard people grumble when the Yankees got hits. The uncles and aunts told me just how amazing it was to see Mickey smack balls monstrously deep into the upper deck from both sides of the plate. They spoke of Reggie clobbering three home runs in one World Series game. They demonstrated the heated rivalry between Boston and New York during the late seventies by describing Bill Lee getting smacked around during a bench clearing brawl. It just seemed like amazing things always happened in Yankee Stadium. My parents generation also had their fair share of Yankee Legends and championships.

Sitting around a Thanksgiving dinner table with all generations present they swapped stories about Babe's unrivalled fame, the 1961 home run race between Mantle and Maris, DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak, Gehrig's iron man attitude, Whitey's consistent dominance, and Bucky Dent ripping out the hearts of Boston in 1978. All these stories shared a common theme, Yankee players accomplishing legendary feats. They made me believe baseball superstars and postseason legends should wear pinstripes and the World Series belonged in the Bronx.

Unfortunately, I never experienced a World Series championship and it took me until I was 16 to even see a Yankee playing in October, when it counted! I never saw a postseason legend perform and only got to watch a few players who were borderline superstars. The closest memory I could relate to their amazing and almost mythical stories was Dave Righetti no-hitting the Red Sox on July 4th, 1983. Unfortunately, I was only 5 so I don't remember much outside of listening to it at my Gramma's house on the radio at a picnic. The 'stars' of my youth were good players, but nowhere near the stature of Ruth, Mantle. or so many other former Yankees. I didn't really feel connected to the Yankee pride they bantered about so casually.

My family even vehemently prohibited me from cheering for certain teams in any situation. The Dodgers, Giants, Royals, Mets, and especially the Red Sox! My typically rebellious cousin Matt actually was a Red Sox fan for a year or so when he was young and you would have thought he broke a law. He was ostracized and made fun of at every family function. He finally saw the light after a while. Probably after someone threw his hat on the barbeque. However, the Red Sox were just about always better than my Yanks growing up. Thus, outside of envy, I wasn't sure why the Red Sox were such enemies until relatively recently. In essense the envy seemed kind of a pointless reason for hate based on history so I wasn't so sure what was the main reason I should hate the Sox. Surely, there had to be more to it? I'd find out just how intertwined the two teams are soon enough and with amazing results, hell - unprecidented results.

Probably the worst example of an irrational hatred of a player comes from my early years and it involves a zealous, talented thirdbaseman from Kansas City. Hearing some stories I thought George Brett was the personification of evil. Until I was about 8 I thought he had horns and a forked tail based on what I was told.. 'pine tar game Jamie, pine tar game!!' Whatever the hell that was! I had simply no idea at the time. Looking back maybe he did go a tab bit ballistic over that call. Now I know he's not as bad a human being as I was lead to believe. George was just another good player who habitually killed us. It really is amazing the passion baseball and its rivalries can invoke in people - especially among players.

I always imagined how much fun my family must have had going through all that. I never had a rivalry with another team or the personal loathing of a given player in another uniform because the Yankees hadn't been winning enough during my lifetime to develop one, and every player seemed to beat us. I really didn't get it.

My family had guys like Ruth and Mantle to watch day in and day out. I grew up with Wayne Tolleson, Alvaro Espinoza, Matt Nokes, and Dennis Rasmussen. All fine ballplayers and individuals, just not legendary names. In addition to some awful teams we also had off the field problems. Feuding players and managers who came and went faster than a Nolan Ryan heater. George Steinbrenner was public enemy number one in New York. I remember the signs at the Stadium directed at him. "Hey George go wreck the Mets!" or "Hey George go take a ride on the garbage barge!" Those were two that stick out in my mind in addition to countless other mean spirited signs that could only pop up in New York City. It was kind of embarrassing to be a Yankee fan in those days. I had the love for the team but they made it relatively tough to be a die-hard fan that hung on to every pitch.

Fortunately, I had some tremendous players to keep my faith alive year after year. I had Dave Righetti, Rickey Henderson, Don Mattingly, Willie Randolph, Dave Winfield, and Ron Guidry. What I didn't realize at the time was that many were past their primes while others were truly outstanding baseball players on a sub par team. At least by Yankee standards. Unfortunately, they too shared a common theme. Failure to win.

However, those Yankee teams had some bright spots and did provide me with some fun nights at the Stadium, as well as long nights watching TV or listening to the radio. Conversely, I still had no idea what it felt like to follow a team that would be in a position to win a World Series. A team that would have the whole fan base out in the streets excited, jubilant, and zealous. "Yankee fever" my family called it.

Until I was about twenty-five I wasn't sure I would ever be able to talk baseball on the same level as my family and share Yankee thrill stories. The game of baseball had changed too much. I didn't think any team in the league was capable of continued dominance like the Yankee teams of the past that would be talked about, remembered, and revered through the ages.

Well, I was wrong. I can now sit at the table with all generations of my family and swap baseball stories. I get the rivalries. I get the pride. I get the emotion. Lastly, I now understand the semi-arrogance of being a Yankee fan surrounded by Met and Red Sox fans. The Yankee teams from 1996 until 2001 were nothing short of amazing to watch. It was exciting to finally be a Yankee fan watching my team in October. Going to the playoffs for 10 straight years, making the World Series 6 times, and winning 4 championships will do that I guess. They brought me so many thrills I couldn't possibly remember them all.

The best part is most of my family that had shared so many stories about the past got to see it all too. I can talk to them about the dream season of 1998, the destiny team of 1996, the Subway Series, perfect games by David Wells and David Cone, Dwight Gooden's no-hitter, Shane Spencer's September 1998 Roy Hobbs impression, Derek Jeter's backhand flip to the plate that saved a season, and Mariano Rivera's unparalleled dominance in October. I think I can contribute to the family baseball chats quite well now!

Most importantly I got to talk to them about the place in baseball history this recent Yankee dynasty has carved out. Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Ford, Maris, and Munson might have been legends but I can't believe they were any more fun to follow than these recent Yankee teams. Guys like Paul O'Neill, Joe Girardi, Tino Martinez, Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Andy Pettite, Mariano Rivera, Scott Brosius, David Cone, David Wells, Joe Torre, and Jorge Posada are just as revered in New York as many of those players my older family members sang about. At least they are to me.

Even the role players and guys who didn't stay long were likeable and still make me smile. Yankees like: Homer Bush, Jimmy Key, John Wetteland, Chad Curtis, Chilie Davis, Cecil Fielder, and Graeme Lloyd contributed as much to this dynasty as the big name players. Speaking of Graeme Lloyd, is there a Yankee fan around who doesn't remember him rushing out of the pen to stick up for Tino after Armando Benetiz's uncalled for and intentional beanball after Bernie's long HR to put the game away? Llyod still has my respect and I smile when I see him because of his team commitment!

The players, both starters and fill ins, were consistently exciting to watch. More importantly, the players performed and carried themselves as champions. They spoke with class and played with a desire to win that assured them a place in the storied history of the New York Yankees. Quite simply they were exactly what my family had been talking about when they mentioned 'Yankee class.'

Through their actions, play, and demeanor this group of players has carved out their own nitch in baseball history. I think Joe Torre is to be thanked as much as anyone for the return to greatness the Yankees have achieved. He reinstalled pride in pinstripes. Thanks Joe, it was a fun ride as a fan! On a personal level, I finally understand the magic which appears annually, when the leaves turn colors outside of Yankee Stadium.

I have to believe watching them invoked the same thrills and emotions in me that my family must have felt all those years ago. It has been a treat to be a part of. I look forward to many, many more successful summers in the Bronx. For better or worse, a dynasty ended after the 2001 World Series.

Many of the players from those amazing teams were gone or not returning. I didn't realize it at the time but the face of the team changed when Paul O'Neill and Tino Martinez didn't suit up for spring training in 2002. I still love the Yankees as much as ever though. Aaron Boone once again ripping the heart out of Red Sox nation in October of 2003 was one of the best baseball moments of my life.

There was just something about the teams from 1996 until 2001 that will be etched in my mind for the rest of my life. Taking nothing away from players of the current, recent to ancient past, and future Yankee teams but the teams I followed in the latest (1996 - 2000) dynasty are as important to New York baseball history as any of the others.

From time to time, quite often actually, I watch the World Series and season highlight videos from 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001. It's at least five years removed but the key moments can actually make me a bit nervous at times. Occasionally thay can send shivers up my spine even after a decade. I still break out with a broad smile when I see replays of something like Tino's storybook grand slam in the 1998 series. Same feeling befalls me when I watch Brosius' face lighting up in a giant grin while pumping his arms in the air like a school boy after his two out, 9th inning, game tying, two run homer in game 5 of the 2001 World Series, the day after Tino had done the exact same thing!

I still remember exactly what I was doing and who I was with for most of those memorable moments. I got to share them with a ton of friends and family. I feel privileged to have done so. I will take most of those memories to my grave. The rest of my family can have their "Mr. October," I am content with my "Mr. November."
    Link to blog is here: http://collect.myspace.com/index.cfm...85CF1015553593

Last edited by Lcsulla; 05-16-2006 at 10:39 PM.
    Old 05-16-2006, 09:44 PM   #3020
    Trippin4136

My Tour Central Stats

that swing Posada put on the ball was damn near perfect
    Old 05-17-2006, 07:23 PM   #3021
    Trippin4136

My Tour Central Stats

that was a big game tonight. a huge start for Wang to pickup the bullpen after last night's slopfest on the mound, although they were kicking the ball around again tonight.

Jorge is red hot. Tomorrow's another big game before they head to Shea.
    Old 05-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #3022
    Trippin4136

My Tour Central Stats

nothing like a Yankee work-day-game...hopefully Wright can keep the good pitching coming.
    Old 05-21-2006, 08:31 PM   #3023
    Trippin4136

My Tour Central Stats

ALEX RODRIGUEZ ISN'T WORTH MY PISS.

I'm not even surprised when he GIDPs late in games anymore...I almost expect it.
    Old 05-23-2006, 04:04 PM   #3024
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

I'm happy as hell Shef's bat is back tonight. Gives our lineup a whole different dynamic even if he isn't at full strength!
    Old 05-23-2006, 08:11 PM   #3025
    smeritt

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

A-rod just won us a ball game gentlemen i dont care when he hit the homerun
    University of Arizona

smeritt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-23-2006, 08:18 PM   #3026
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smeritt
    A-rod just won us a ball game gentlemen i dont care when he hit the homerun
    Yup. Fucking Daily News headline today was a cheapshot too. "Thanks for Nuthin" showing his HR? Gimme a break, how about a picture of the fucking 0-2 meatball Wang served up that Manny hit to the moon! Might have had just a bit more to do with us loosing than A-Rod's homer - but then again, what the hell do I know?

Lupica and company make me sick with their constant A-Rod bashing. Their writing is in a bigger slump than Giambi at bat! Someone needs to remind them of his successes as well. That makes what..4 games in the last two weeks where his hits have essentially provided the win...

Todays shot if Wakefield
    Shot of Schilling not that long ago
    Tenth inning single against TB
    3 run first inning shot against Oakland where the game ended up 4-3

I wish these peabrained tabloid sports hacks in the NY media would spend half as much time focusing on his successes as they do his failures. Every idiot knows an above average hitter fails about 3 out of ever 10 tries at the plate. But lets attack A-Rod who's better than 99% of his peers - morons!

Last edited by Lcsulla; 05-23-2006 at 08:29 PM.
    Old 05-23-2006, 10:58 PM   #3027
    Trippin4136

My Tour Central Stats

Yes the cheapshots they took at A-Rod b/c of his 9th inning HR was unfair and unnecessary. But A-Rod really does have to starting coming through when it really matters more often. It's true, it is a dynamic that has been lacking in his time w/ the Yankees.

However, I will not take away what he did tonight. That HR was very easily the reason why they won tonight. A-Rod just seems to be so easily consumed by pressure and anxiety during big series which I hope will start to rescind after tonight's blast.

On a different note, I've got to say I'm impressed by Jaret Wright. Going into Boston tonight after 2 strong starts and shutting them down. Maybe he really is turning over a new leaf and will get his shit together....we can only hope.

Unit goes tomorrow and he has just been MISERABLE his last 4 starts. Tomorrow he will have a chance to redeem himself, it's going to be very interesting to see how he performs. If he fails again, he may not even want to come home with the team...
    Old 05-24-2006, 01:35 AM   #3028
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

My gripe is that A-Rod takes the shit for an entire team from the media to many of the fans. It's simply unfair and shortsighted. He doesn't really fail more than anyone else, it isn't like anyone else is tearing it up in big situations either. Why focus it on one guy?

The contract I assume? That's idiotic IMO, moreso for Yankee fans and media outlets. First we didn't sign him to that albatross. Also, Texas is subsidizing some of it. Regardless of the dollar amounts; he got that deal for the whole package, the defense, and the hitting numbers (power and average) in general over the season.

When that contract was signed Texas knew what they were getting as did the Yanks when they traded for him. All things considered he's still among the top 5 players in the game and none of them are subjected to this bullshit and scrutiny - nor are many others so constantly derided for a minimal aspect of their game. The NY media is fueling this crap and it's really astounding. Only guys I can think of who were subjected to as much negative PR in their own cities were Ted Williams and Roger Maris.

As for something like the arguement that he's digressed in big situations since he's been in NY, well that really never made much sense to me either. For starters, before coming here he had an 8 game postseason track record and he was hitting .300 with 1 HR and 3 RBI's in those games. Wasn't like we were expecting the next 'Mr. October.' Funny thing is since he has been on the Yanks he's hit .294 with 1 HR and 3 RBI's - virtually identical stats in 4 more at bats. We got what we should have predicted for October. Same deal with the regular season, it wasn't like he was superman 'clutch' man winning games left and right with Seattle or Texas. He was the same player - just with a much softer light shined at him than in NY. I got pretty much what I expected. An MVP caliber 5 tool player, good guy, and teammate that fit right in. I think people assumed he would somehow elevate his game to another level when he came here. I'm not sure that's fair and it definately shouldn't make him a scapegoat because peoples expectations were so high.

He's not even that bad in the "clutch" situations and certainly not as bad as many would make you think. Also depends on what you define as clutch because stats can be selectively chosen to make a case. It's like Jeter's defense to me: not great, but nowhere near as bad as some haters would lead you to believe.

My point is he shouldn't be shouldering the blame for the whole team. Jeter's the only one really playing up to potential consistantly. You can pin it on pitching, poor defense, lack of clutch hitting by pretty much the whole team, uncharacteristic dumb moves by Joe, and a ton of injuries. Yeah, A-Rod is a part of it but why the hell he gets slammed so often by the fans, media, and baseball analysts is beyond me. The whole team is not doing well: it's impossible to blame that on one aspect of one guys game regardless of what WFAN, the NY Post, or the Daily news keep beating over our heads. His failures with RISP is just an easy target right now and it makes for eye catching headlines and a few extra articles and dialogs for writers, commentators, and analyst to churn out searching for a scapegoat. He's the easy target, has been since he signed that contract. I think it's a bit overblown myself - not nearly the problem of say - what the fuck is wrong with Randy Johnson?

Last edited by Lcsulla; 05-24-2006 at 01:45 AM.
    Old 05-24-2006, 07:27 AM   #3029
    Trippin4136

My Tour Central Stats

god damn Jamie...somebody must of had the coffee on late last night...but anyways good stuff, I would agree with pretty much everything you said.

Although as a top player in the league and playing in NY, I as a fan, can not help but hold him to the highest standard and expect him to come through when he is "suppose" to.

I think the past few weeks he's been under the spotlight much more b/c of the absence of Sheff and Matsui in the lineup. I think A-Rod really needs that protection of Sheff in front of him. Giambi is slumping and shouldn't be hitting 3rd anyways so that only added more pressure on him. I think with Sheff back he'll really pick it up again.

and yes Randy Johnson MUST come through tonight and IF he doesn't, there are no reasons why the media shouldn't be riding him like a the mule he's become.
    Old 05-24-2006, 07:37 AM   #3030
    2SteppingAnt41
    ridiculous

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

i just hate a 25-19 record.
    i understand the reasons.
    it just sucks in general.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boiii
    the point of democracy is that every person can make a difference.
    make one.
    2SteppingAnt41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    mlb , yankees