New Album: "Come Tomorrow" Coming June 8th. - Page 885 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-07-2018, 05:58 AM   #26521
jmkratt
You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album: "Come Tomorrow" Coming June 8th.

I have no desire to ever listen to When I'm Weary, That Girl is You, bkdkdkdd or Can't Stop Again.

I think I like She the best though I don't absolutely love any of them really. It is basically a haphazard Some Devil 2.0 after the few first listens. Weirs transitions throughout the album.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-07-2018, 06:00 AM   #26522
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trippingchris View Post
    yeaaaa, this album is not good at all. Same opinion as others, feels unfinished, lack of horns on the singles, incoherent flow. This isn't even good if it was a Dave solo album.

does warehouse allow pre-orders to be canceled?

I don’t even see myself ordering a vinyl at this point. Just a horrible effort. Should have been scrapped with the boyd stuff. Perfect opportunity to take one more year and put out something half decent.
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:00 AM   #26523
    Strider_BTCS

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    To put this out there, they did record it. There’s a full version of the song that sounds like that clip. Why they didn’t release it, I have no idea.
    I know you've mentioned it was reworked. Do you know if that included the lyrics? Or was it more just song structure?
    Strider_BTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:02 AM   #26524
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    To put this out there, they did record it. There’s a full version of the song that sounds like that clip. Why they didn’t release it, I have no idea.

Secret song on the CD. I'm telling you.
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:03 AM   #26525
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
    I have no desire to ever listen to When I'm Weary, That Girl is You, bkdkdkdd or Can't Stop Again.

I think I like She the best though I don't absolutely love any of them really. It is basically a haphazard Some Devil 2.0 after the few first listens. Weirs transitions throughout the album.
    While When I'm Weary isn't anything special, it is not even close to non-listenable IMO. I really like it for what it is. I only wish there was another verse. I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but this just seems overly critical. I feel like your putting the album in Stand Up territory, and I don't think the album is anywhere near that bad. I actually think it's good...maybe a step below BW and AFTW. To each their own though.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:06 AM   #26526
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post

that's saying something since it's only 27 seconds.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:06 AM   #26527
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Be Yourself is universally hated for 3 years, then they tease a recording of it on the album as an obvious joke, and now people want it on the album Hahaha I find this album rather unique in many ways, and to me that short little clip is pretty funny.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:07 AM   #26528
    BigEyedIdiot

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I never thought I would say this, but after listening to Come On Come On, When I'm Weary, Bkdkdkdd, and Do You Remember, I don't really care if we ever get some of the older tracks. I always thought that Idea of You would be the best track by far on this thing, and the new stuff craps on it. Are the lyrics cheesy on the new stuff? Sure. But I don't care, it goes hard. I'm still stoked that Be Yourself is the best track on the album. When I heard it live years ago I always thought it could turn out like that, funky as hell in the studio. I think I posted like two years ago that I thought it would be a monster in the studio lol. Now I just want more of it!
    BigEyedIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:08 AM   #26529
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    I don’t even see myself ordering a vinyl at this point. Just a horrible effort. Should have been scrapped with the boyd stuff. Perfect opportunity to take one more year and put out something half decent.
    If you're after the DMBLive sets, just bite the bullet on CT. Think of it as two 4LP sets @ $50/ea and the new album is a free bonus. Use Come Tomorrow to fend off zombies in a Shawn of the Dead-type apocalypse

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:09 AM   #26530
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Samurai Cop - 5
    Meh. They didn’t seem to do anything terribly interesting with it in the studio. It’s fine.

Can’t Stop - 3
    Ridiculously sped up. The rap bridge or whatever it is around 3 minutes is laughable, but the music that comes right after that is pretty good.

Here On Out - 5
    Nice, albeit forgettable, little song. I like what I can hear of the strings. It could use more of that.

That Girl Is You - 0
    Just dreadful. Absolutely dreadful.

She - 3
    This doesn’t even sound like DMB, old or new. It sounds like a really bad Audioslave song.

Idea of You - 7
    I have to disagree with those who say they butchered this one. It seems a little fast/flat, but damn it’s good to hear this song in the studio. This has always been my favorite Rashawn song, and he sounds good. I also like the piano addition.

Virginia in the Rain - 7

This song bores the ever loving fuck out of me live, but it’s pretty damn sexy in the studio. I laughed every time I read one of y’all saying you couldn’t wait to hear this in the studio, but damn, y’all were right. This is a good studio track.

Again and Again - 8

Another song that never really did much for me live, but this one kicks ass in the studio. Stefan sounds so awesome in it and I love the strings. Best song on the album, IMO. Only negative is that it makes me wish even more that they’d put fucking Bismarck on the damn album.

Bkdkdkdd - Lolz

Points for the troll job, for sure.

Black and Blue Bird - 4

If ever there was a song in need of a studio neutering, it was this meandering turd. It is MUCH more palatable at around 3 minutes. The lyrics are still pretty bad, but Dave sounds good and the horns are layered nicely.

Come On Come On - 4

Love the strings, but the music overall seems super repetitive. The cupid’s arrow line is cringey as fuck. Carter’s part seems good but I can barely hear him on this song. Odd mix.

Do You Remember - 6

Like this one a fair amount, but those woo’s are sooooo dumb, haha.

Come Tomorrow - 2

I like the music, but damn, those lyrics… so bad. Like, Dive In bad. You can use the excuse for TGIY that “Hey, it’s not trying to be anything” but not on this one. It is trying to be something.

When I’m Weary - 3

Throwaway nothing of a song. Would have worked better as a little secret song/outro a la the Last Stop reprise at the end of BTCS.
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:09 AM   #26531
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strider_BTCS View Post
    I know you've mentioned it was reworked. Do you know if that included the lyrics? Or was it more just song structure?
    Song structure, a little on the arrangement, a little on the lyrics
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:10 AM   #26532
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    Be Yourself is universally hated for 3 years, then they tease a recording of it on the album as an obvious joke, and now people want it on the album Hahaha I find this album rather unique in many ways, and to me that short little clip is pretty funny.
    I think I only ever listened to Be Yourself once... this little ditty was fine. I won't skip it on further listens b/c it would take more effort to just reach for the skip button.

Also, if I'm going to give out an MVP award for this album. It would go to Fonz. As lazy of an effort as most seem to think this album is - he certainly did not mail it in (neither did Carter for that matter).
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:10 AM   #26533
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

Shows Seen: 52

My Tour Central Stats

Good lord, Can't Stop is absolute shit. I'm in the minority, that I kind of liked it in '06. It was nothing special, but I found it interesting at the time. It was essentially a bass line and the versions I heard / saw had dave going for it vocally... I mean.. it was always a turd lyrically, but when it stayed simple I liked it. I actually dug it for the short little thing it was. But this... this is... just Coldplay levels of overproduction. It's they same lyrical turd with just layer upon layer of crap put on top of it.

I see why they wanted to include it. They clearly worked on it extensively.

Last edited by Heyberto; 06-07-2018 at 06:14 AM.
    Heyberto is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:10 AM   #26534
    Greybillytripin
    LLD

Shows Seen: 77

My Tour Central Stats

I wish 2018 never started.. Take back the Album, Take back dirty socks... What an efffing nightmare of a year so far.
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:12 AM   #26535
    Captainnumber36

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

She is almost like a PJ song.
    Captainnumber36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:13 AM   #26536
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

That run of Idea of You, VITR and Again and Again is really solid, but the rest is mediocre at best, and dreadfully awful at worst. Overall, it's a pretty bad album. Probably better than Stand Up, but that's about it and it's not by all that much.

Definitely not better than AFTW and the notion that it's better than Busted Stuff is laughable.
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:13 AM   #26537
    darbini

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Good album, thank you DMB. Quite mellow with random odd highlights, but that is to be expected when you subdue the 'colors' of their signature sound: violin and horn. Comparing what they could've done with what they did is not fair, but they set themselves up for that every time they play a song before it is recorded. Good stuff.
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:14 AM   #26538
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post

I'm not sure anyone WANTS it on the album.. it's more like, if you're going to put the stupid dippy doo doos on the album, which are obviously far and away the worst part of the song, why NOT just put the whole song on the album?
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:14 AM   #26539
    dmbbearcat

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captainnumber36 View Post
    She is almost like a PJ song.
    It would be a bottom-tier PJ song. Matthew nailed it when he mentioned Audioslave.
    dmbbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:15 AM   #26540
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    While When I'm Weary isn't anything special, it is not even close to non-listenable IMO. I really like it for what it is. I only wish there was another verse. I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but this just seems overly critical. I feel like your putting the album in Stand Up territory, and I don't think the album is anywhere near that bad. I actually think it's good...maybe a step below BW and AFTW. To each their own though.
    I hear you, to each their own, I personally don’t care for the piano songs nor the songs featuring a lot of falsetto which is what I hear with WiW.

As a whole the album feels more like a collection of songs. I could listen to a majority of it a lot, I don’t hate it, except That Girl is You. I hate that song. I definitely think it’s better than Stand Up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    that's saying something since it's only 27 seconds.
    Yeah I mean aside from the gibberish I kinda liked it and then it stops. Why would I want to listen to that?
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:15 AM   #26541
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    That run of Idea of You, VITR and Again and Again is really solid, but the rest is mediocre at best, and dreadfully awful at worst. Overall, it's a pretty bad album. Probably better than Stand Up, but that's about it and it's not by all that much.

Definitely not better than AFTW and the notion that it's better than Busted Stuff is laughable.
    I think AFTW is the line this album straddles, and it depends on whether you love or hate AFTW. I hate AFTW, so CT barely edges it out.

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:15 AM   #26542
    jtr101
    The river taste me

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbbearcat View Post
    "Free the beast inside of me" is possibly the worst lyric in a song full of garbage lyrics.
    Hahahaha ot certainly did not help anything in that pile of trash
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:16 AM   #26543
    parks3923

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

They need to just stop releasing new albums so that their catalog can remain and we don't have be force-fed BW, AFTW, CT shit at shows.
    parks3923 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:17 AM   #26544
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by parks3923 View Post
    They need to just stop releasing new albums so that their catalog can remain and we don't have be force-fed BW, AFTW, CT shit at shows.

It’s too late.
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:17 AM   #26545
    ERoths711

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Can someone please let me know how I can listen to this?

"Y'all look like pasta with red sauce on it!" - DM, 5/26/13
    ERoths711 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:17 AM   #26546
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I don't like the production of a single Mark Batson song. I don't think anyone could understand this band less from a sonic perspective. Seems like they're besties again though.

Last edited by jaymas9; 06-07-2018 at 06:18 AM.
    jaymas9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:18 AM   #26547
    Jordan#41

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

The phone call at the end of Sam Cop in context is completely unnecessary.
    Jordan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #26548
    ERoths711

Shows Seen: 59

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    I don't like the production of a single Mark Batson song. I don't think anyone could understand this band less from a sonic perspective. Seems like they're besties again though.
    The weird thing, to me, is that they basically acknowledged that outright a few years later. Then they went back to him? Why?

"Y'all look like pasta with red sauce on it!" - DM, 5/26/13
    ERoths711 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #26549
    Bowa34
    JaMarcus Russell

Shows Seen: 85

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ERoths711 View Post
    Can someone please let me know how I can listen to this?
    Wait til tomorrow #ethaning

Don't ask me to Captain your boat
    Bowa34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #26550
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

Shows Seen: 52

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post

It feels ambitious in a relative to DMB kind of way... in the way ED and SU were at the time... a drastic move away from the core sound, I think it's more successful when thought of in that context. It's a more palatable effort than those were. But it feels very superficial with too much production over actual quality. The songs that I like on here I like more than probably anything on either of those two albums.. but the low points are pretty friggin low.