The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB - Page 111 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #3301
TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20TwoStep View Post
I do not post much and really try to avoid commenting on topics I am not in a position to understand or judge, but after a conversation with Warehouse I wanted to share.

After Boyd's announcement, listening to the night before show, and with no announcement from the band, I had concerns as to the impact of the tour. I waited a couple of weeks and emailed Warehouse. I inquired about an official announcement, something to give me an idea that with increased ticket prices, investment in travel, that the tour was not going to be a train wreck; the 24 hours from announcement to end of show were rough to observe. I really did not expect a reply, and if so maybe a generic email reply, but instead the email was that they would be calling me, and sure enough I received the call within an hour. I checked both boards and was surprised that no one else had the same opportunity.

I was surprised and impressed to get the call and very much appreciated the ten minute conversation we had that was informative, genuine, and sincere. I was told and will paraphrase that the band stands behind Boyd and his decision, respectfully entrusting him to control the message, they miss him and send unconditional love and support as he navigates through this challenging time, this was unexpected. Acknowledging Boyd's as being an integral part of the band and history; Boyd is irreplaceable. They will not replace him but as is normal for the band through time it is not unlikely that additional special talents may make appearances throughout the tour. I specifically inquired if it would be handled similar to 08' when Jeff cam in quickly after Roi's ATV accident and was told no. That's it & all that I needed to feel confident and not concerned as to what or how the tour will unfold.

I have always considered this band to be my best friend; always there in good times & bad, sharing the best of memories, a soundtrack to my life. I think this is probably true for many devout fans. This friend has done so much for me that I will not become critical at a time of duress for them and have trust that they respect the history with their fans and what carried them to so much success. All things change and evolve, our friends evolve and change, this is much the same. My hope is that speculation ends, criticism stops, negativity wanes and we allow the process to play out and take it as it comes, support our friends when needed most, have faith, love, and trust that this will be yet another great summer tour.

I hope there is some value in what I have shared and if not that is ok to. I can only control my effort to put this out there for others. Be well and see you soon for another great summer night of fun. Cheers.
Can you fill us in on the timeline? When did you email? When did you get this call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #3302
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    The same can be said for the post you're referring to about the auditioning. I assume both parties are truthful (sometimes a flaw of mine, being to trusting) They could have taken a few auditions by request of someone without actually wanting a full on replacement (trying out people for guest spots, or something along those lines)
    Oh for sure, I just meant that I don't think the poster who I quoted should take this to mean 100% there will be no replacement, since there seem to be some conflicting reports. Folks at the Warehouse are really just people that work at an office - they're not really 'insiders' with regard to the band and if they did know something I'm surprised they would straight up tell a fan what the band's plan was without authorization to do so. I'd be more inclined to believe this if it came from someone at RLM as opposed to the Warehouse.

I doubt they'd actually hold auditions for people to do guest spots - I think that's more of an impromptu thing when they find out certain people are available/in town for a given show.

Unless they're planning on having "guests" for certain parts of the tour - like say Robert Randolph is there for a run of dates from Date A to Date B, and then the girl who auditioned on violin is there from Date X to Date Y, etc.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #3303
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Oh for sure, I just meant that I don't think the poster who I quoted should take this to mean 100% there will be no replacement, since there seem to be some conflicting reports. Folks at the Warehouse are really just people that work at an office - they're not really 'insiders' with regard to the band and if they did know something I'm surprised they would straight up tell a fan what the band's plan was without authorization to do so. I'd be more inclined to believe this if it came from someone at RLM as opposed to the Warehouse.

I doubt they'd actually hold auditions for people to do guest spots - I think that's more of an impromptu thing when they find out certain people are available/in town for a given show.

Unless they're planning on having "guests" for certain parts of the tour - like say Robert Randolph is there for a run of dates from Date A to Date B, and then the girl who auditioned on violin is there from Date X to Date Y, etc.
    That person could very well be a RLM employee and not a WH employee. I mean we had Lillywhite call a fan out of the blue recently too. This is a really, really odd way of disseminating information though.

Quote:
    Old 02-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #3304
    20TwoStep
    Ummmmm.......DMB

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I emailed them on the 8th and received a reply email and call today. They event followed up with an email.

Initial email: "We wish to call you this week in regards to this. We will be calling 970-***-****, so watch for a call from area code 434."

Follow up email: "Thank you for taking the time on the phone with us today, Tim. We are honored to have a member such as yourself within the Warehouse."

I would completely agree that I was taken by surprise with the call and nature of the information shared. She was with Warehouse and stated so.

Last edited by 20TwoStep; 02-20-2018 at 02:01 PM.
    20TwoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #3305
    Coachman76
    Unlikely to agree

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

The silence from the band is deafening vis-a-vis Boyd.

They can hide from this until maybe April 1st (no pun intended) but once it gets inside 30 days to the first tour date, it will start to boil.

I'm not saying they won't handle this, but the question is how they will handle this. Silence is only an answer for so long.

I won't buy tickets unless I know exactly who I'm going to be seeing in Boyd's place. As I've said, if it's Butch Taylor and the 'Lovely' Ladies they can shove this entire tour up their collective ass.

I do think that they should offer refunds to anyone who purchased tickets before Boyd's announcement to anybody who wants them. With modern technology, it's not that hard to keep track of who bought what when.
    We will never forget, we will always remember
    Coachman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #3306
    20TwoStep
    Ummmmm.......DMB

My Tour Central Stats

I really believe Boyd is seriously hurting in some way and the band wants to respect him and allow him to control the message, it was not expected and completely took them by surprise as well. It is possible that they do not know when Boyd will return so making an announcement could be premature. What if he can return for the opener, or any time during the tour? It seems to me they are looking for that flexibility. They deserve our support and as much time as needed IMO.
    Old 02-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #3307
    crawfish

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

DMB is done. Even before Boyd left they simply didn't sound good anymore. Just a bunch of noise up there playing over one another. It's a big loud mess with Tim, Rashawn and Jeff. Haven't heard Dave's guitar in years, and forget Boyd. I wish they'd just play acoustic sets like they did a few years ago. Praying for Boyd and hope he's ok. He was pretty much silent and couldn't be heard the last time I saw them.
    crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #3308
    rhizingbines

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I emailed them on the 8th and received a reply email and call today. They event followed up with an email.

Initial email: "We wish to call you this week in regards to this. We will be calling 970-***-****, so watch for a call from area code 434."

Follow up email: "Thank you for taking the time on the phone with us today, Tim. We are honored to have a member such as yourself within the Warehouse."

I would completely agree that I was taken by surprise with the call and nature of the information shared. She was with Warehouse and stated so.
    Do you have screenshots of these e-mails or maybe a screenshot of the call? I know several of us have tried this same route but have received silence from WH. Their response also seems suspicious as they have to know that no violin means that they’ll have to forgo the vast majority of their hits for the tour and that’s sure to piss off the casual fans who make up the majority of the crowds. Not sure I buy the notion that they’d cut out the most prominent instrument in their music, especially when auditions have already been confirmed. It took them a week to bring in Jeff... the suggestion that they wouldn’t find a fill in for Boyd doesn’t make sense.

Sorry but this doesn’t really add up.

Last edited by rhizingbines; 02-20-2018 at 02:48 PM.
    rhizingbines is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #3309
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    DMB is done. Even before Boyd left they simply didn't sound good anymore. Just a bunch of noise up there playing over one another. It's a big loud mess with Tim, Rashawn and Jeff. Haven't heard Dave's guitar in years, and forget Boyd. I wish they'd just play acoustic sets like they did a few years ago. Praying for Boyd and hope he's ok. He was pretty much silent and couldn't be heard the last time I saw them.

I thought they sounded great at my last show (Jiffy Lube 2016). My ideal sound from DMB is their ‘98-‘04 era vibe, to be sure, but...

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #3310
    Gene Parmesan

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I really believe Boyd is seriously hurting in some way and the band wants to respect him and allow him to control the message, it was not expected and completely took them by surprise as well. It is possible that they do not know when Boyd will return so making an announcement could be premature. What if he can return for the opener, or any time during the tour? It seems to me they are looking for that flexibility. They deserve our support and as much time as needed IMO.
    I'd be hurt too if my band left me off the yearly calendar.
    Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #3311
    LowEnd_Theory
    ...the cool-out breed

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Post screenshots of the email.

I know there's a full moon every night. When I dress black it snows white...
    LowEnd_Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #3312
    20TwoStep
    Ummmmm.......DMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LowEnd_Theory View Post
    Post screenshots of the email.

Email screenshot is attached. There is no benefit to me to not be honest, but understand it is difficult in our world today to have faith.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg Warehouse Email.jpg (69.4 KB, 255 views)
    Old 02-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #3313
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Email screenshot is attached. There is no benefit to me to not be honest, but understand it is difficult in our world today to have faith.
    I'm curious what your original email to them said. Do you mind posting that? I know you paraphrased it before, but I'm really curious what language you may have used that caused them to set up a phone call.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #3314
    dmbdrew41

Shows Seen: 191

DMB Hub Stubs: 38

My Tour Central Stats

So to sum this up, No replacement violinist....
    But in other thread, source heard auditions were going on as of the last few weeks? I'm confused.
    dmbdrew41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #3315
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbdrew41 View Post
    So to sum this up, No replacement violinist....
    But in other thread, source heard auditions were going on as of the last few weeks? I'm confused.
    Boils down to who's more believable, weighted by what a rational business would do. Do you trust an entity that just sold you a ticket to DMB with Boyd Tinsley? Do you trust an entity that just sold you what you thought was a lower, but is really an upper? Would a rational band try to fill a major instrument gap by auditioning qualified replacements? No brainer who I believe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Old 02-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #3316
    20TwoStep
    Ummmmm.......DMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    I'm curious what your original email to them said. Do you mind posting that? I know you paraphrased it before, but I'm really curious what language you may have used that caused them to set up a phone call.
    Sure, call log is attached, original email coming up.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg Call Log 2-20-2018.jpg (65.9 KB, 201 views)
    Old 02-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #3317
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

I’m just curious as to who okayed this call but not response to any other emails or anything like that.

If you had a 10 minute convo, surely there was more discussed? Anything else said you can share?

Quote:
    Old 02-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #3318
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I’m more inclined to believe the bit where Dave and band is auditioning professional violinists myself.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #3319
    20TwoStep
    Ummmmm.......DMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I was really expecting that this was going to be a mass phone campaign and that many Warehouse members had contacted them. I remember commenting on how busy I thought they were going to be.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg Warehouse Email 2.jpg (69.7 KB, 185 views)
    Old 02-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #3320
    20TwoStep
    Ummmmm.......DMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    I’m just curious as to who okayed this call but not response to any other emails or anything like that.

If you had a 10 minute convo, surely there was more discussed? Anything else said you can share?
    She was sincere and I did not want to grill her like she was on trial. She was very respectful and commented on the difficult nature this is for fans, emotional was the term. Mentioned that the band will "pull up the boot straps" and adjust as best that they can, but all love and support for Boyd. "He is irreplaceable", they will not be handling this like Roi's initial accident with Jeff.

I asked what we could do for them and was asked to stay positive and share the love and support for Boyd. She also specifically asked that I post my thoughts so as to support the band.

This experience is as perplexing to me as to most reading this but I am very grateful for the opportunity. The least I can do is provide my support and understanding as they figure this out. Not my place to judge or draw conclusions. Just keep the faith, blind faith if needed. For me the band deserves this from me in the very least.
    Old 02-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #3321
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Oh so she asked you to post about this? Interesting.

Again really appreciate you answering questions and stuff on this.

Quote:
    Old 02-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #3322
    20TwoStep
    Ummmmm.......DMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Oh so she asked you to post about this? Interesting.

Again really appreciate you answering questions and stuff on this.
    No worries and happy to share. As you can see I rarely post but check Ants daily for all things DMB, show torrents, general enthusiasm, etc for this band. This band means a lot to all of us.
    Old 02-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #3323
    rhizingbines

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I’m just confused as to why they’d ignore potentially thousands of other emails and - not only respond to you - but call you. This doesn’t seem like info that a fan club should have or otherwise spread but I guess what do I know.

Dropping a prominent instrument entirely just seems to far fetched for me though.
    Old 02-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #3324
    dmbalpine

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Am I the only one who is reading “won’t replace” for exactly what it is? They said Boyd is irreplaceable. They won’t replace him like Jeff did for Roi.

That doesn’t mean they won’t have a temporary violinist or other fill in instruments.
    dmbalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2018, 05:08 PM   #3325
    uticans

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    She was sincere and I did not want to grill her like she was on trial. She was very respectful and commented on the difficult nature this is for fans, emotional was the term. Mentioned that the band will "pull up the boot straps" and adjust as best that they can, but all love and support for Boyd. "He is irreplaceable", they will not be handling this like Roi's initial accident with Jeff.

I asked what we could do for them and was asked to stay positive and share the love and support for Boyd. She also specifically asked that I post my thoughts so as to support the band.

This experience is as perplexing to me as to most reading this but I am very grateful for the opportunity. The least I can do is provide my support and understanding as they figure this out. Not my place to judge or draw conclusions. Just keep the faith, blind faith if needed. For me the band deserves this from me in the very least.
    Sounds like a made up series of events you strung together with carefully photo-shopped emails and you stand to gain popularity from the group in order to sell more tickets to the secondary market... Or you could just be telling the truth. Or are you???
    uticans is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2018, 05:10 PM   #3326
    Gene Parmesan

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

This woman's sentiments don't really pass the smell test. Dave would have said way more on stage than he did. It makes no sense to not replace the instrument, temporarily if need be. And why would the band reach out to a single fan instead of a fanbase? All of it reeks of bullshit.
    Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #3327
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by uticans View Post
    Sounds like a made up series of events you strung together with carefully photo-shopped emails and you stand to gain popularity from the group in order to sell more tickets to the secondary market... Or you could just be telling the truth. Or are you???
    dude are you serious? He gave every piece of proof possible. How would this help him sell tickets on the secondary market when no one knows who he is and you can’t sell over face on this site? Get a grip.

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastPig; 02-20-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    Old 02-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #3328
    rhizingbines

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
    This woman's sentiments don't really pass the smell test. Dave would have said way more on stage than he did. It makes no sense to not replace the instrument, temporarily if need be. And why would the band reach out to a single fan instead of a fanbase? All of it reeks of bullshit.
    I agree. Not sure why so many people assume they wouldn’t replace the instrument. That idea seems absurd. 90% of their mainstream radio hits require violin. Imagine a casual fan going to a DMB and not hearing any of those? Please.
    Old 02-20-2018, 05:16 PM   #3329
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
    When has this bands management ever known what they are doing? They didn’t give much info to him besides saying you can probably look for guests and they won’t replace him (whatever that means).

Plus it’s very clearly a man since the screen shots say “Tim”

Quote:
    Old 02-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #3330
    rhizingbines

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No worries and happy to share. As you can see I rarely post but check Ants daily for all things DMB, show torrents, general enthusiasm, etc for this band. This band means a lot to all of us.
    Would you mind posting this to the WH boards? I’m sure they’d love to hear this.