From "DMB who?" to sitting next to Dave in a club booth @ TR3 in FIVE SHOWS - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-24-2021, 06:07 PM   #1
GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

From "DMB who?" to sitting next to Dave in a club booth @ TR3 in FIVE SHOWS

I was just reading a post on the "Road Trip" discussion and someone raved about their 2005 DMB show at Roseland Ballroom in NYC. This reminded me that 10 yrs before their show, I saw DMB at Roseland, which then reminded me that the anniversary of that 2nd show is TODAY. TWENTY-SIX YEARS AGO TODAY! I can't believe it!

Sorry, this will be quite long...

Also of note is, it means that it's the 4th show of theirs I ever saw. I didn't know any of DMB's music, had just heard of them but won tix to see Big Head Todd and I'm pretty sure my 1st ever DMB show was Live Trax Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel in Providence, 1/31/95. When the tour started, Big Head Todd were the headliners. But as it progressed and the bigger and bigger crowds started to leave after DMB's set and before BHT's set, they quietly switched the lineup so BHT was 2nd (there was another support act 1st), then DMB.

So I went on a 2nd date with a guy to Lupo's and we loved BHT, but since it was a weeknight almost left back to Boston. But I figured "Hey, we've heard of this Dave Matthews Band, let's at least watch like 3 songs before we go.

1st 4 songs I ever saw DMB do were:
Seek Up
Minarets
Dancing Nancies -> Warehouse

Lover Lay Down was after that and, don't judge me, it was a weeknight and we left the show. But not before my mind was blown.

I'll paste the rest of the story from one of my 1st threads on this board (because I was out of the DMB loop for 9 yrs until 2017):

"I went to the first Roseland 2/23/95 show, which was only my 4th show ever. So I have gone from "DMB? Heard of them but never heard them." to "That drummer is incredible and that singer - bring me that singer on a platter!" (For the ladies and dudes who love them some Dave, remember this was back when he was almost so shy, if he wasn't singing he mostly had his back to the audience and was nowhere near center stage. I found that WILDLY adorable, and obviously the whole band was super talented, so...)

So then for my next show at Boston's Orpheum which was totally sold out, in the daytime in effort to find a ticket I am standing in the little vestibule where the ticket window is between the outer doors and the inner doors waiting to talk to a ticket person and out walks Dave. Another fan there who I was not with talks to him and he's very nice to them and tells them he's on his way to the hospital to visit his close friend. Damn. So now this guy is not only kinda shy seeming and wildly talented, he's like the kind of guy who, on a day he's got a sold out show to play in Boston, he takes time to go to visit his friend in the hospital. ::swoooooon:: That show was amazing, and I went to enough shows at the Orpheum that the security let me lurk after the show until Dave came out to say hello to the after show people. My 1st words to him were "Wow, your drummer is incredible!" He agreed wholeheartedly.

I had a very funny experience at the Northampton show which was my 3rd show, but that's a story in and of itself. Bottom line, by the end I went backstage and met the entire band, loveliest people ever.

I'm from NYC, and when I saw they were also playing Roseland (long sold out), I had to try. And my birthday is Feb 25, so these Feb 23 and Feb 24th shows seemed like a fitting birthday present.

I went Greyhound bus down to NYC and found a ticket quickly. I'm short, and Roseland is a wonky shape and I know the best place to sit is on a little side stage/ledge thing that is usually VIP, and was band guests for these shows. Saw the tour manager MM who I'd met in Boston and Northampton, so he let me sit in that area. There are no open tables but these 2 super nice women see me searching and invite me to sit with them. They are lovely and tell me they're friends of someone I've never heard of named Coran. I don't know who he is but when I meet him I quickly figure out he's central to the DMB folks, and am super grateful when he sorts me out for night 2 tix at Roseland.

As I write this, I think I have the right order of what happened after the shows but I might be getting the 2 nights mixed up. I think after the 1st show the 2 women invite me out with them and the whole band goes to a tiny Irish bar that they'd become fond of at prior NYC visits. It was super cool to be there with Coran's friends and meet the whole band again.

Night 2 (my 5th show), 2/24/95, I sat on that little side ledge again, absolutely ROCKED OUT to the music because between 1/31/95 and 2/23/95 I'd played UTTAD a zillion times and knew it backwards & forwards (but not Recently or R@T yet). Both shows were great but there was something extra insane about the energy N2. Plus John Popper & Trey Anastasio came out for the last songs and the notes here on Ants say that is still one of the most popular Watchtower's ever. It was my 1st with DMB I think and I was totally blown away.

Now somewhere late in this show, Dave mentions Tim Reynolds, longtime friend & partner in crime & collaborator, and that Tim's band TR3 is playing at a club called Fez, and they're all going over after the show. And I remember thinking "No way in HELL did they just tell 3,000 manic fans where they're going to hang after the show" so I didn't believe they were really going. But Coran's nice 2 friends invited me to share a cab with them and, well first after the theater was emptied, the band and guests gathered around one of the bars in Roseland to watch David Letterman. The notes here say it was their first appearance on national t.v., and needless to say looking back it was crazy to watch it air WITH the band righht there (and a lot of their friends). It was also the 1st time I met some of the band's girlfriends.

So then the 2 women and I go to Fez, and I figure hey, why not go even if the band won't be there, I'll get to see a musician the band thinks highly of. Walk into Fez, first I see Carter and he's super nice and talks, then Stefan who I talk to, and then Roi. All super friendly and sweet and surrounded by friends.

We go sit in a big booth, those big red Prohibition era booths, cuz Fez is like a speakeasy club. I end up in the middle of the booth, so good thing I have a strong bladder LOL! Soon after we sit down, Dave walks up, and everyone to my right gets out of the booth to let him in. Which means... he slides in and is now sitting next to me. 5th show in and I'm sitting in a booth, NEXT to Dave Matthews. No easy exit for either of us. He knows I'm a new fan so he probably was a bit "Erm, not my 1st choice of seatmate" in his head, but I knew the drill, stayed very calm, didn't fangirl out at all, and tried really hard not to bump elbows or knees. Only talked to him about Tim & TR3 which he was happy to talk about. A few times his girlfriend (now wife) came up to the table and they spoke their own sign language across the table, but she had her own table full of friends so she sat there. So I sat next to Dave for an entire set of TR3! When they went for a break, everyone got up and Dave left (was it something I said?? ). He made the rounds and that was the end of our quality time in the booth with 8 other people. But the whole Roseland experience... what an entree to DMB live, DMB's music, and the amazing people that make up the band, crew, management and fans! <3

And how crazy was that luck!?! Still shake my head even today, TWENTY-SIX damn years later. Several of the things that happened those first few shows were mostly because I was used to just walking up to random people and asking questions to start conversations. But the Fez thing was an extra dose of pure absurd fangirl luck to end up seated RIGHT.NEXT.TODAVE. for a whole TR3 set.
GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #2
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Re: From "DMB who?" to sitting next to Dave in a club booth @ TR3 in FIVE SHOWS

And... I just checked the setlist for that 2nd night, the last 2 songs were "Pay For What You Get" and "Halloween". 2 of my all time fave DMB songs, ever ever. No wonder I played the hell out of the cassette copies of that show I got from a fellow fan.
    Old 02-25-2021, 11:58 AM   #3
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GraceBuckley View Post
    I was just reading a post on the "Road Trip" discussion and someone raved about their 2005 DMB show at Roseland Ballroom in NYC. This reminded me that 10 yrs before their show, I saw DMB at Roseland, which then reminded me that the anniversary of that 2nd show is TODAY. TWENTY-SIX YEARS AGO TODAY! I can't believe it!

Sorry, this will be quite long...

Also of note is, it means that it's the 4th show of theirs I ever saw. I didn't know any of DMB's music, had just heard of them but won tix to see Big Head Todd and I'm pretty sure my 1st ever DMB show was Live Trax Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel in Providence, 1/31/95. When the tour started, Big Head Todd were the headliners. But as it progressed and the bigger and bigger crowds started to leave after DMB's set and before BHT's set, they quietly switched the lineup so BHT was 2nd (there was another support act 1st), then DMB.

So I went on a 2nd date with a guy to Lupo's and we loved BHT, but since it was a weeknight almost left back to Boston. But I figured "Hey, we've heard of this Dave Matthews Band, let's at least watch like 3 songs before we go.

1st 4 songs I ever saw DMB do were:
    Seek Up
    Minarets
    Dancing Nancies -> Warehouse

Lover Lay Down was after that and, don't judge me, it was a weeknight and we left the show. But not before my mind was blown.

I'll paste the rest of the story from one of my 1st threads on this board (because I was out of the DMB loop for 9 yrs until 2017):

"I went to the first Roseland 2/23/95 show, which was only my 4th show ever. So I have gone from "DMB? Heard of them but never heard them." to "That drummer is incredible and that singer - bring me that singer on a platter!" (For the ladies and dudes who love them some Dave, remember this was back when he was almost so shy, if he wasn't singing he mostly had his back to the audience and was nowhere near center stage. I found that WILDLY adorable, and obviously the whole band was super talented, so...)

So then for my next show at Boston's Orpheum which was totally sold out, in the daytime in effort to find a ticket I am standing in the little vestibule where the ticket window is between the outer doors and the inner doors waiting to talk to a ticket person and out walks Dave. Another fan there who I was not with talks to him and he's very nice to them and tells them he's on his way to the hospital to visit his close friend. Damn. So now this guy is not only kinda shy seeming and wildly talented, he's like the kind of guy who, on a day he's got a sold out show to play in Boston, he takes time to go to visit his friend in the hospital. ::swoooooon:: That show was amazing, and I went to enough shows at the Orpheum that the security let me lurk after the show until Dave came out to say hello to the after show people. My 1st words to him were "Wow, your drummer is incredible!" He agreed wholeheartedly.

I had a very funny experience at the Northampton show which was my 3rd show, but that's a story in and of itself. Bottom line, by the end I went backstage and met the entire band, loveliest people ever.

I'm from NYC, and when I saw they were also playing Roseland (long sold out), I had to try. And my birthday is Feb 25, so these Feb 23 and Feb 24th shows seemed like a fitting birthday present.

I went Greyhound bus down to NYC and found a ticket quickly. I'm short, and Roseland is a wonky shape and I know the best place to sit is on a little side stage/ledge thing that is usually VIP, and was band guests for these shows. Saw the tour manager MM who I'd met in Boston and Northampton, so he let me sit in that area. There are no open tables but these 2 super nice women see me searching and invite me to sit with them. They are lovely and tell me they're friends of someone I've never heard of named Coran. I don't know who he is but when I meet him I quickly figure out he's central to the DMB folks, and am super grateful when he sorts me out for night 2 tix at Roseland.

As I write this, I think I have the right order of what happened after the shows but I might be getting the 2 nights mixed up. I think after the 1st show the 2 women invite me out with them and the whole band goes to a tiny Irish bar that they'd become fond of at prior NYC visits. It was super cool to be there with Coran's friends and meet the whole band again.

Night 2 (my 5th show), 2/24/95, I sat on that little side ledge again, absolutely ROCKED OUT to the music because between 1/31/95 and 2/23/95 I'd played UTTAD a zillion times and knew it backwards & forwards (but not Recently or R@T yet). Both shows were great but there was something extra insane about the energy N2. Plus John Popper & Trey Anastasio came out for the last songs and the notes here on Ants say that is still one of the most popular Watchtower's ever. It was my 1st with DMB I think and I was totally blown away.

Now somewhere late in this show, Dave mentions Tim Reynolds, longtime friend & partner in crime & collaborator, and that Tim's band TR3 is playing at a club called Fez, and they're all going over after the show. And I remember thinking "No way in HELL did they just tell 3,000 manic fans where they're going to hang after the show" so I didn't believe they were really going. But Coran's nice 2 friends invited me to share a cab with them and, well first after the theater was emptied, the band and guests gathered around one of the bars in Roseland to watch David Letterman. The notes here say it was their first appearance on national t.v., and needless to say looking back it was crazy to watch it air WITH the band righht there (and a lot of their friends). It was also the 1st time I met some of the band's girlfriends.

So then the 2 women and I go to Fez, and I figure hey, why not go even if the band won't be there, I'll get to see a musician the band thinks highly of. Walk into Fez, first I see Carter and he's super nice and talks, then Stefan who I talk to, and then Roi. All super friendly and sweet and surrounded by friends.

We go sit in a big booth, those big red Prohibition era booths, cuz Fez is like a speakeasy club. I end up in the middle of the booth, so good thing I have a strong bladder LOL! Soon after we sit down, Dave walks up, and everyone to my right gets out of the booth to let him in. Which means... he slides in and is now sitting next to me. 5th show in and I'm sitting in a booth, NEXT to Dave Matthews. No easy exit for either of us. He knows I'm a new fan so he probably was a bit "Erm, not my 1st choice of seatmate" in his head, but I knew the drill, stayed very calm, didn't fangirl out at all, and tried really hard not to bump elbows or knees. Only talked to him about Tim & TR3 which he was happy to talk about. A few times his girlfriend (now wife) came up to the table and they spoke their own sign language across the table, but she had her own table full of friends so she sat there. So I sat next to Dave for an entire set of TR3! When they went for a break, everyone got up and Dave left (was it something I said?? ). He made the rounds and that was the end of our quality time in the booth with 8 other people. But the whole Roseland experience... what an entree to DMB live, DMB's music, and the amazing people that make up the band, crew, management and fans! <3

And how crazy was that luck!?! Still shake my head even today, TWENTY-SIX damn years later. Several of the things that happened those first few shows were mostly because I was used to just walking up to random people and asking questions to start conversations. But the Fez thing was an extra dose of pure absurd fangirl luck to end up seated RIGHT.NEXT.TODAVE. for a whole TR3 set.
    Super cool! I also sat next to Dave at a show back in 1994. I was in Boulder after they played at the Fox Theater and he came next door to Tulagis where a member of the Samples was playing with a different act.. I really didn't even know that DMB was going to be a big thing, but we chatted for awhile about the Samples and Red Rocks and South Africa. He said if they were ever were to release a big live album they'd do it at Red Rocks. He was very grateful to Colorado and the music scene here inviting the band out for there first big trip away from the east coast.
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2021, 12:53 PM   #4
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    Super cool! I also sat next to Dave at a show back in 1994. I was in Boulder after they played at the Fox Theater and he came next door to Tulagis where a member of the Samples was playing with a different act.. I really didn't even know that DMB was going to be a big thing, but we chatted for awhile about the Samples and Red Rocks and South Africa. He said if they were ever were to release a big live album they'd do it at Red Rocks. He was very grateful to Colorado and the music scene here inviting the band out for there first big trip away from the east coast.
    So very VERY cool to meet someone else who had such a similar experience! The Samples are great too, that would have been a cool show to sit next to him at and shoot the breeze! And you had a heads up on Red Rocks... COOL!
    Old 02-25-2021, 01:08 PM   #5
    Dagwin

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

And then Dave wrote a song about his experience sitting by you (OP): Grace is Gone.
    Dagwin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2021, 04:59 PM   #6
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

This is awesome! Do you have any pictures from this? Can you tell us more about what it was like talking to the other band members in that early backstage setting?
    Old 02-25-2021, 06:31 PM   #7
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dagwin View Post
    And then Dave wrote a song about his experience sitting by you (OP): Grace is Gone.
    In a way that would be a legit conclusion to draw, cuz I was gone (didn't go to any shows or see the band members) basically from '04 to now, so 16 years. But my real name isn't Grace, so I can't take credit for that.
    Old 02-25-2021, 06:50 PM   #8
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    This is awesome! Do you have any pictures from this? Can you tell us more about what it was like talking to the other band members in that early backstage setting?
    I really wish I had more photos than I do. My early experiences with other bands taught me that if I want to be "one of the guys" and be someone they can just hang with, I don't ask for photos or take photos. I do have a few from the very earliest days, I'll see what I have in the house (most of my stuff in storage).

I can tell you that talking to them in the earliest days was just... they were so sweet, so smart, and so FUCKING FUNNY... At my 3rd show I met them all, including Carter's older daughter (or maybe he just told me about her, I remember talking to him about her and he had family there), Roi was INSANELY smart and funny, Dave was back and forth between a bit shy and also crazy observant, smart and funny, and Stefan & Boyd also friendly but I didn't get to know them a lot better until later.

They all traveled on the same single tour bus (as opposed to each having their own which happened later) through at least '98, maybe 99. I found that way more fun because, well it was everyone on one bus. After shows a lot of times in the early days, even where there were dressing rooms in the venue, the band many gathered on the bus (except Dave or Dave & Boyd who did the aftershow meet and greets most often). Music would be mostly great R&B or some jazz. I remember Carter & Roi playing DJ the most on the bus, but maybe that wasn't always the case.

And in those days you could tell them something and they'd sometimes actually follow up. I was somewhere and "the worst movie ever" was a topic, and someone mentioned some horrible movie I'd never seen, and I told them the movie. Some months later somehow it came up again and Dave had actually found it on VHS and watched it, and apparently it really was, possibly, the worst movie ever. I just couldn't believe he found it and watched it! I know I should remember the name, but I did write it down in my little journal from that time (which is the only reason I remember this happened) so sometime I'll go look for it.

Last thing I'll say, which is a personal special factor from those earlier days, is that I was lucky enough to meet ALL of their mothers. Every main band member, all 5, I met each of their moms. Which was such a gift, because Carter's mom died I think a year later, and I have no idea if all the rest of their moms are still alive or not. That felt much more natural or easy in those days, I can't imagine their moms go a lot now or that it's as chill that you just cross paths with them backstage now, but who knows....

I hope that gave you some idea of what it was like then! OH, and when they first got the in-ear-monitors, before smart fellow fans figured out how to tap into the frequency and listen in too, a few shows I was lucky to stand side stage near the monitor area and be offered the headphones that, when you listened, you could hear the banter, mostly between Dave & Carter but also others at times. THAT WAS PURE COMEDY! Some of the funniest shit I ever heard, which probably a lot of folks here have heard because didn't people start finding a way to record those and share them? I feel like I remember that but maybe I imagined it....

Thanks for asking, it was good to reminisce!
    Old 02-25-2021, 08:01 PM   #9
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think I can post this pic actually. I mean what I say when I say I have SO FEW pics with them, but this was from maybe my 7th show and because everyone in the room was getting pics with Dave, I asked for one too. Someone had given him this baseball hat, I don't think I've ever seen him in one since and this was like 20+ yrs ago!

Also, this is the 1st selfie I've ever been in. Dave, ahead of his time as always, doing selfies before they were "a thing", a big thing!

Lastly I'm super private, not into my pic on the internet, so I'm a little in disguise here but Dave is clearly Dave...
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg Dave & Waldo.jpg (26.6 KB, 58 views)
    Old 02-26-2021, 07:58 AM   #10
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I really wish I had more photos than I do. My early experiences with other bands taught me that if I want to be "one of the guys" and be someone they can just hang with, I don't ask for photos or take photos. I do have a few from the very earliest days, I'll see what I have in the house (most of my stuff in storage).

I can tell you that talking to them in the earliest days was just... they were so sweet, so smart, and so FUCKING FUNNY... At my 3rd show I met them all, including Carter's older daughter (or maybe he just told me about her, I remember talking to him about her and he had family there), Roi was INSANELY smart and funny, Dave was back and forth between a bit shy and also crazy observant, smart and funny, and Stefan & Boyd also friendly but I didn't get to know them a lot better until later.

They all traveled on the same single tour bus (as opposed to each having their own which happened later) through at least '98, maybe 99. I found that way more fun because, well it was everyone on one bus. After shows a lot of times in the early days, even where there were dressing rooms in the venue, the band many gathered on the bus (except Dave or Dave & Boyd who did the aftershow meet and greets most often). Music would be mostly great R&B or some jazz. I remember Carter & Roi playing DJ the most on the bus, but maybe that wasn't always the case.

And in those days you could tell them something and they'd sometimes actually follow up. I was somewhere and "the worst movie ever" was a topic, and someone mentioned some horrible movie I'd never seen, and I told them the movie. Some months later somehow it came up again and Dave had actually found it on VHS and watched it, and apparently it really was, possibly, the worst movie ever. I just couldn't believe he found it and watched it! I know I should remember the name, but I did write it down in my little journal from that time (which is the only reason I remember this happened) so sometime I'll go look for it.

Last thing I'll say, which is a personal special factor from those earlier days, is that I was lucky enough to meet ALL of their mothers. Every main band member, all 5, I met each of their moms. Which was such a gift, because Carter's mom died I think a year later, and I have no idea if all the rest of their moms are still alive or not. That felt much more natural or easy in those days, I can't imagine their moms go a lot now or that it's as chill that you just cross paths with them backstage now, but who knows....

I hope that gave you some idea of what it was like then! OH, and when they first got the in-ear-monitors, before smart fellow fans figured out how to tap into the frequency and listen in too, a few shows I was lucky to stand side stage near the monitor area and be offered the headphones that, when you listened, you could hear the banter, mostly between Dave & Carter but also others at times. THAT WAS PURE COMEDY! Some of the funniest shit I ever heard, which probably a lot of folks here have heard because didn't people start finding a way to record those and share them? I feel like I remember that but maybe I imagined it....

Thanks for asking, it was good to reminisce!
    Wow. I mean meeting their mothers. What a treat. I never would think to meet my favorite bands mothers. And all 5 of them? Was it all once or over the course of time? Like oh wow I just met Dave's mom last year, and then Carter's mom shows up at the show your at this year? Really neat stuff there.

I coincidentally met all their dads except for Dave's obviously. They came to the Boulder show I was talking about. No moms though which is weird. I wonder if any of the dads were there when you meet the moms?
    Old 02-26-2021, 08:19 AM   #11
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wow. I mean meeting their mothers. What a treat. I never would think to meet my favorite bands mothers. And all 5 of them? Was it all once or over the course of time? Like oh wow I just met Dave's mom last year, and then Carter's mom shows up at the show your at this year? Really neat stuff there.

I coincidentally met all their dads except for Dave's obviously. They came to the Boulder show I was talking about. No moms though which is weird. I wonder if any of the dads were there when you meet the moms?
    No, the moms were not all at once although I think 3 were at the 1st Nissan Pavilian (so closest "hometown" show at an amphitheater in those days) show I was backstage for, so that was 3 moms at once. But 2 moms I met several times, and I think 1 mom or maybe 2 were at Madison Sq. Garden which is another "once in a lifetime" show to attend, until of course your kid's band plays MSG like every other week LOL!

And though I met her in briefly a couple of times, my favorite time meeting Dave's mom was at a lunch place during a D&T tour that most of the touring folks were all at the same lunch place, and I was having lunch with a couple of people working on the tour and got up to go to the bathroom and saw Dave & his mom, and when he saw me he called me over & introduced me to her and we all talked about food, art (started with art on walls in lunch place) and a few other things. She's awesome, no surprise there!

I think I only met 2 of the dads. And not at the same time as any moms.

That's wild, how did you meet all the dads (except Dave's) in Boulder? They were all at one show? Was it a "DMB Dad Convening" or just chance that they all went to Boulder? Very cool! And what year was it? So Roi's dad was there or this was after 2008? What were your most lasting impressions of them?
    Old 02-26-2021, 08:24 AM   #12
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No, the moms were not all at once although I think 3 were at the 1st Nissan Pavilian (so closest "hometown" show at an amphitheater in those days) show I was backstage for, so that was 3 moms at once. But 2 moms I met several times, and I think 1 mom or maybe 2 were at Madison Sq. Garden which is another "once in a lifetime" show to attend, until of course your kid's band plays MSG like every other week LOL!

And though I met her in briefly a couple of times, my favorite time meeting Dave's mom was at a lunch place during a D&T tour that most of the touring folks were all at the same lunch place, and I was having lunch with a couple of people working on the tour and got up to go to the bathroom and saw Dave & his mom, and when he saw me he called me over & introduced me to her and we all talked about food, art (started with art on walls in lunch place) and a few other things. She's awesome, no surprise there!

That's wild, how did you meet all the dads (except Dave's) in Boulder? They were all at one show? Was it a "DMB Dad Convening" or just chance that they all went to Boulder? Very cool! And what year was it? So Roi's dad was there or this was after 2008? What were your most lasting impressions of them?
    Sorry, I think you did say it was '94. So was Roi's dad there? I guess so since you said all but Dave?
    Old 02-26-2021, 09:03 AM   #13
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sorry, I think you did say it was '94. So was Roi's dad there? I guess so since you said all but Dave?
    no this time was 2001 after Folsom Field. They had a meet and greet that I won and got to go backstage and all the dads were there. Maybe because the band is always touring they didn't get to celebrate father's day and just delayed it. I'm not sure on that specific and was too shy to ask.
    Old 02-26-2021, 09:04 AM   #14
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

3momsatthesametime.com is a website you can check out. It's not DMB related though.
    Old 02-26-2021, 09:10 AM   #15
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    3momsatthesametime.com is a website you can check out. It's not DMB related though.
    Why am I almost POSITIVE that that is *not* a site I should visit on my work computer?
    Old 02-26-2021, 11:15 AM   #16
    C.S.
    I lurk you long time...

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Cool stories, thanks for sharing! It's rare to get something so nice and positive these days when it comes to DMB.
    C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2021, 12:07 PM   #17
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C.S. View Post
    Cool stories, thanks for sharing! It's rare to get something so nice and positive these days when it comes to DMB.
    Thanks, I appreciate you saying that. Honestly it's one of the reasons I enjoy risking all of your eyesight with these impossibly long posts, because I know how hard these more personal, sweet views/memories can be to come by, especially after a year of no touring.

And even though no one's asked (probably out of politeness), there's obviously a reason (or a few reasons) I'm not friends with them anymore. Mostly the passing of time, but other reasons too. And yet I can look back at these times and be clear that then, and I'm sure now as well, there are so many beautiful humans and moments and actions and situations in the DMB camp... that yield such amazing music, shows, and stories to tell. So I tell these stories with great joy and don't mind at all that I am not in and out of that inner circle anymore. Not being connected anymore doesn't dim my joy with the times I had or make me want to spill a bunch of stuff that is a) private and b) maybe a little less bright and shiny.

So I appreciate what you say and I share with a smile and a gleam in my eye. And wishing everyone the best, here on Ants and in the band and their world.
    Old 02-26-2021, 01:53 PM   #18
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C.S. View Post
    Thanks! It's really great to be able to share with someone who "gets" it.
    Old 02-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #19
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks, I appreciate you saying that. Honestly it's one of the reasons I enjoy risking all of your eyesight with these impossibly long posts, because I know how hard these more personal, sweet views/memories can be to come by, especially after a year of no touring.

And even though no one's asked (probably out of politeness), there's obviously a reason (or a few reasons) I'm not friends with them anymore. Mostly the passing of time, but other reasons too. And yet I can look back at these times and be clear that then, and I'm sure now as well, there are so many beautiful humans and moments and actions and situations in the DMB camp... that yield such amazing music, shows, and stories to tell. So I tell these stories with great joy and don't mind at all that I am not in and out of that inner circle anymore. Not being connected anymore doesn't dim my joy with the times I had or make me want to spill a bunch of stuff that is a) private and b) maybe a little less bright and shiny.

So I appreciate what you say and I share with a smile and a gleam in my eye. And wishing everyone the best, here on Ants and in the band and their world.
    Strange how you can be so close that you'd meet the moms, but then fall out just a short time later.. I'm in the same boat. What I wouldn't give to go hang out with their families back stage during a show again. Talk about politics and golf, love of sailing etc... I miss it.
    Old 02-26-2021, 03:00 PM   #20
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Strange how you can be so close that you'd meet the moms, but then fall out just a short time later.. I'm in the same boat. What I wouldn't give to go hang out with their families back stage during a show again. Talk about politics and golf, love of sailing etc... I miss it.
    It's cool, I guess I don't feel like it was "a short time later" in my situation. I had a great 9 yr run, that started off pretty quickly with hanging out a lot, so I feel very good about that run. And I had a choice, I could have kept hanging out, but I think it was time for me to make some changes in my focus.

But I know what you mean, and if I were to go to a show in 2022 say, it would be SO nice to just waltz backstage and pick up where we left off. I did see Tim, some crew at a Radiohead concert and after a moment of "Whoa, yeah, hey!" he introduced me to his wife and we had several great exchanges (we were sitting right behind them). At the end Dave & his wife raced by (they were sitting several rows behind us) and with both it was only the quickest eye contact but with both they looked, did a double take, and the smiles were sweet, it was good vibes for sure. And that was just 2 yrs ago. So if I go and just keep to myself in the audience, cuz I am curious about what they're like live now, it'll be weird, and I'll miss old times, but it'll be good too and I am at peace with it all. 2020 gave me lots of perspective on blessings!

Also, - you should know by now I'm about to go on another rant, so read at your own peril LOL! - even though having kids definitely has taken me out of the "Just jump on the traveling circus for the East Coast when you want to" adventures I loved so much then, every now and then I still experience the joy of hanging out with artists I admire greatly. I'm a much bigger Pearl Jam fan and though I've also drifted far away from their circle, in 2018 I went to 2 Seattle PJ shows, 2 Boston, and had "extra special" experiences at all, including getting to say hey to band members, VIP access to when they showed the Night 1 concert footage at a theater between Nights 1 & 2, VIP tour of the PJ exhibit at MoPop as part of a party hosted by band staff, and a crazy unexpected bonding experience with a band member's family during the best show (Seattle 2, 2018).

I actually found my journals from '95-'96, '98 and '00, which include PJ shows, DMB shows, and other bands. There was so much I'd forgotten, and I think even more than missing hanging and talking to DMB & their families, I think I miss the times it really sank in that I was "one of the guys". As a woman, you're often worried about people getting the wrong idea about why you're there or how they need to act in your presence. Damn if the band didn't "let their hair down" so many times and I just LOVED IT. I jumped right in with the banter and I'll always treasure those times most of all.

Now I go to far fewer shows in gen'l (and no DMB), but I did get to "Use my powers for good" for someone else in 2019. My tween daughter had found her 1st music obsession that was HER artist: Billie Eilish. By the time she got fully obsessed, the current theater tour Eilish was doing at the time was long sold out. But I trusted my gut, found a date in a nearby city on a weekend, and said to my daughter "Ok, look, we're gonna do a road trip and there are NO GUARANTEES. The most we may get out of it is some pre-show people watching & a good meal. Can you live with that?" We drove to another city and as we pulled up at the theater, there were 2 tour buses in front and a lot of guys in black with passes. But there was this one guy... I said out loud "HIM, that's the guy! Come on!" and almost hit a pole parking the car so fast and trying to race out so we didn't miss him.

I'd never seen this guy, had no clue what his role on the tour was. Went up, introduced ourselves, and made one request, which was NOT for tickets nor was it to meet EIlish. It was something very simple. At first he was like "Oh, that's not my area, I don't deal with that." But then he said "Well, check the box office for tix, but if you don't get any I may be able to help you. Wait in front AFTER they start letting people in."

Checked the box office, no tix (it was SO sold totally out and it was a ZOO, almost dangerous outside because it was largely a GA show). But he came out after they started letting people in and pulled us aside. He said "Ok, for your request, here, take these-" and gave us 2 wristbands, and said "Go do what you asked, and then... enjoy the show!" we looked at the wristbands, VIP! We found out inside that our section were tix originally sold at $399/ticket We had great sightlines (one level up from floor so almost even with the stage) and my daughter cried for joy. And we BOTH sang along for most of the show and rocked out!

I think the guy was going to try to get my daughter to meet her too after, but the crowd outside got too crazy so we were just happy to have seen the show. Found out what this guy's job is... let's just say I couldn't have lucked out more on asking a better person.

At times like that, I don't miss not being able to go to DMB or other shows now, I'm just glad I had the times I had. And that I remember a thing or 2 about how to act in case it comes in handy now

I don't know what happened with you that created the distance, but I do hope for you that sometime soon, with the reflective treasures that Covid & lockdown have given so many of us, I hope you get to another few shows and luck just happens and you find yourself where you want to be. And then please come back and write about it so I can live it vicariously thorugh you!
    Old 02-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #21
    Sniper15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Can you tell us this story? It seems like this was the first time you really connected with someone directly in the DMB camp and one of the main reasons you were able to get into the DMB circle

Quote:

I'd never seen this guy, had no clue what his role on the tour was. Went up, introduced ourselves, and made one request, which was NOT for tickets nor was it to meet EIlish. It was something very simple. At first he was like "Oh, that's not my area, I don't deal with that." But then he said "Well, check the box office for tix, but if you don't get any I may be able to help you. Wait in front AFTER they start letting people in."

!
    What was the request? You have to share your magical ways with us. How does one get VIP tickets, and almost get a meet and greet, by asking a question that isn't a direct request for tickets and access?
    Old 02-27-2021, 07:35 PM   #22
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Can you tell us this story? It seems like this was the first time you really connected with someone directly in the DMB camp and one of the main reasons you were able to get into the DMB circle
    Sure, I can tell that story. Glad you still have patience for my wordy writing, but I don't really know how to tell short stories...

The important thing to remember is each time builds on the last one. So the Orpheum in Boston was first. I go to a LOT of shows, or at least I used to. As much as of course the concert itself, no matter who the band is, is the "main thing", I love watching the behind the scenes. So based on just watching what happens side stage and a few other places in the venue, I used to enjoy guessing which people played which role on tours of bands I knew nothing about.

It was watching those dynamics during the show that made me guess that one guy was DMB's tour manager. I was right. So near the end of the show I asked him if he was the TM, he said yes, and I just paid a compliment, a heartfelt one, but the next important thing to know is: "normalcy is EVERYTHING". So I just talked to him like a normal person, I didn't ask to meet the band, and I just was super chill. And, because I saw bands there all the time, I knew a bunch of hte security and they "overlooked" the fact that I didn't have a backstage pass when I hung out among the aftershow people with passes. And then when DMB's TM came out, he also overlooked my lack of pass and let me go up and talk to Dave.

Ok now it's the Northampton show. And what I'm about to say I do NOT recommend, and honestly it's usually hard to do on purpose, so I was lucky I was sincerely looking for someone to talk to. I went early, because it was sold out and I had no ticket. It was a theater or college arena/theater and I could hear soundcheck as I walked up. I walked around the WHOLE PLACE looking for somoene who worked there to ask about tix, but didn't find anyone. Then I saw a guy walking by and tried to walk quickly up to him but I missed him as he walked in the door. So... I opened the door myself to see if I could find him, he clearly worked there.

I have enough friends in bands and have spent enough time in soundchecks that I knew once I walked in how to act and what to do. So I basically I just fit in and got to watch the rest of soundcheck. When it was over I was looking around trying to see who looked the most like they could help me find a ticket, when after a bit I saw Boyd walking by. I said hi, and basically said "Um, I'm a new fan so I didn't get a ticket in time, trying to think how to get one" and Boyd looked at me, looked around, and pretended to be sharing a big secret and said "It looks to me like you're already in?" and I realized oh, right, duh! So ticket...unnecessary.

At some point I saw the TM again and we talked. When the show was over and he came out to get the bands guests, he invited me backstage with them.

After that it really just came down to being chill and not fan-girling out. I had really long talks with Carter, Stefan & Roi, and shorter but very nice talks with Dave and Boyd. Carter had family there, not sure who lived in the area, but they were super nice too.

I've said this before here and it seems like a weird thing to say, but I find that when you talk about regular stuff, like HonestDenver1 was also talking about, and treat them like normal people, you have much more chill conversations and the next time they see you, they tend to just invite you into convos because they know you're gonna have a normal conversation. I can't speak for DMB because I haven't had a real conversation with any of them in 12 yrs, but if they're still the way they used to be, they're like most other really really successful popular bands: they deeply appreciate and love all their fans, AND... they're a lot more at ease talking about things other than their music or their show. Doesn't mean they don't want to talk about their music or their shows, but they're rather talk about everything else.

That's it, the part that I think is so funny was me asking Boyd if he had ideas about where I could find a ticket and he looked around like "Um, I'd say you're already in!" and I realized he was right. For that to be how I get into my 3rd sold out DMB show just felt crazy lucky.

Then Roseland were shows 4 & 5...
    Old 02-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #23
    Sniper15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sure, I can tell that story. Glad you still have patience for my wordy writing, but I don't really know how to tell short stories...

The important thing to remember is each time builds on the last one. So the Orpheum in Boston was first. I go to a LOT of shows, or at least I used to. As much as of course the concert itself, no matter who the band is, is the "main thing", I love watching the behind the scenes. So based on just watching what happens side stage and a few other places in the venue, I used to enjoy guessing which people played which role on tours of bands I knew nothing about.

It was watching those dynamics during the show that made me guess that one guy was DMB's tour manager. I was right. So near the end of the show I asked him if he was the TM, he said yes, and I just paid a compliment, a heartfelt one, but the next important thing to know is: "normalcy is EVERYTHING". So I just talked to him like a normal person, I didn't ask to meet the band, and I just was super chill. And, because I saw bands there all the time, I knew a bunch of hte security and they "overlooked" the fact that I didn't have a backstage pass when I hung out among the aftershow people with passes. And then when DMB's TM came out, he also overlooked my lack of pass and let me go up and talk to Dave.

Ok now it's the Northampton show. And what I'm about to say I do NOT recommend, and honestly it's usually hard to do on purpose, so I was lucky I was sincerely looking for someone to talk to. I went early, because it was sold out and I had no ticket. It was a theater or college arena/theater and I could hear soundcheck as I walked up. I walked around the WHOLE PLACE looking for somoene who worked there to ask about tix, but didn't find anyone. Then I saw a guy walking by and tried to walk quickly up to him but I missed him as he walked in the door. So... I opened the door myself to see if I could find him, he clearly worked there.

I have enough friends in bands and have spent enough time in soundchecks that I knew once I walked in how to act and what to do. So I basically I just fit in and got to watch the rest of soundcheck. When it was over I was looking around trying to see who looked the most like they could help me find a ticket, when after a bit I saw Boyd walking by. I said hi, and basically said "Um, I'm a new fan so I didn't get a ticket in time, trying to think how to get one" and Boyd looked at me, looked around, and pretended to be sharing a big secret and said "It looks to me like you're already in?" and I realized oh, right, duh! So ticket...unnecessary.

At some point I saw the TM again and we talked. When the show was over and he came out to get the bands guests, he invited me backstage with them.

After that it really just came down to being chill and not fan-girling out. I had really long talks with Carter, Stefan & Roi, and shorter but very nice talks with Dave and Boyd. Carter had family there, not sure who lived in the area, but they were super nice too.

I've said this before here and it seems like a weird thing to say, but I find that when you talk about regular stuff, like HonestDenver1 was also talking about, and treat them like normal people, you have much more chill conversations and the next time they see you, they tend to just invite you into convos because they know you're gonna have a normal conversation. I can't speak for DMB because I haven't had a real conversation with any of them in 12 yrs, but if they're still the way they used to be, they're like most other really really successful popular bands: they deeply appreciate and love all their fans, AND... they're a lot more at ease talking about things other than their music or their show. Doesn't mean they don't want to talk about their music or their shows, but they're rather talk about everything else.

That's it, the part that I think is so funny was me asking Boyd if he had ideas about where I could find a ticket and he looked around like "Um, I'd say you're already in!" and I realized he was right. For that to be how I get into my 3rd sold out DMB show just felt crazy lucky.

Then Roseland were shows 4 & 5...
    These are awesome stories. Can you tell us what question you asked that got you VIP tickets at the Billie Eilish show? Also, what was the most surprising thing you learned about a band member, or the most interesting thing you learned about how the band/crew operates, during your years backstage?
    Old 02-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #24
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    These are awesome stories. Can you tell us what question you asked that got you VIP tickets at the Billie Eilish show? Also, what was the most surprising thing you learned about a band member, or the most interesting thing you learned about how the band/crew operates, during your years backstage?
    Howdy, so, I'm not gonna say more about the Billie Eilish question. Maybe I shouldn't mention things like that if I'm not going to explain. Apologies! When the guy gave us the tix and my daughter burst into tears with joy, I realized that we'd done a good job of making him feel comfy that we'd never get on the internet give details of his kindness. The question I asked might say too much about it, even though this is far from a Billie Eilish fan page But still, a lot of times the reason you get in the door is because you're very quiet about who helps you and how. So I'll try to be better about not mentioning things I won't explain further.

I love your other question though. In a related vein, I will totally answer this, but I guess I'll just say plainly that anyone who's spent that much time behind the scenes (and who believes in maintaining good karma) is only going to say what's appropriate to share publicly.

That said, in reading another couple of threads about Roi & Carter, I guess (18 yrs later) I was surprised to hear they're considered the most private members of the band. That makes me want to say right away 2 things that answer both of your questions (what was surprising and what did I notice about how they functioned):

1. We all know Dave is wildly smart and wildly funny. Any good between song banter or a single Dave & Tim show will make you wonder if he missed his stand up comedy calling. But what I wonder if is widely known is this: LeRoi was JUST as smart and JUST as funny. Like, especially if Dave & Roi ever got into a riff with each other, I'd probably still be giggling about it a month later.

2. Carter was by far, or along with Boyd, the easiest 2 band members to approach when I didn't know any of them. Granted, I was looking to talk to Carter right from the start because his drumming was one of the things that blew my mind the 1st time. Although, that said, when I found him, I barely mentioned his drumming. I guess I've learned over time, if you want to keep the conversation going with well-known musicians, you don't talk to them about their own music. So reading today in particular that he's the most private band member now was an eye-opener. I wonder if that was the perception 18 yrs ago and I just didn't know that? Also, Carter and Stefan are also super funny, just for the record, so let me not leave this comment with anyone thinking they can't hold their own with the comic relief

Another thing, and it's one of things I miss most about hanging out with them, although this probably won't be a surprise to you guys either: All of them, but Dave and Roi in particular, know a ridiculous amount about SO MANY TOPICS, like I always felt like I'd taken a graduate course in some topic I knew nothing about after talking to any one of them for a solid amount of time. There was no end to the things they knew a lot about.

And something I noticed about how they operated... and this is a BIG one and I imagine not visible because most bands know to not make the OPPOSITE dynamic too visible. When you have a band that is 5 people, named after the singer, and the singer is mainly the person everyone wants to talk to or meet, it is natural for even the tightest band to develop tensions around the attention that the lead figure or most popular figure gets over everyone else. So one really GREAT thing that stood out for me about the dynamics between the other 4 members and Dave, is that I really don't remember ever feeling or noting or sensing a tension when people went nuts over Dave and either ignored other band members or didn't pay much attention to them.

One place I noticed this was when they were still on one bus, maybe the band's friends would hang out in dressing rooms at the venue, but often Carter, Roi and Stefan in particular could be found on the bus after a show, listening to music and talking to friends. Things would be chill (or loud!) and then especially when the bus was within view of fans waiting and watching it, all of a sudden there'd be this LOUD cheer of what sounded like a big crowd of fans, and someone in the band would say "Here comes Dave" but with ZERO tension, or grumpiness, or jealousy. It was simply a fact, Dave was close by which meant most people or everyone not in the band needed to say their goodbyes because Dave was about to get on and the bus was going to get on the road, either to their hotel or the next city.

I have been in so many similar situations and when the singer or most popular figure causes cheers or desperate rushes or squeals, there are eyerolls or snarky comments, either about the fans or the dynamics, even though most bands love their fans, this specific tension exists for so many bands who are otherwise really cool. And don't even get me started on the really snotty bands (who I don't hang out with but I've met many). They can be outright mean to fans who ask about the singer.

So I always noticed that the other guys really honestly seemed to have it as a non-issue or at least a very accepted and perfectly understandable dynamic that Dave was the focal point for so many and it was what it was. Maybe even some were grateful NOT to be that focal point, now that I'm reading how Roi and Carter were perceived as the most private.

So there ya go, that's the last thing for now. You ask great questions Sniper! Had to think about that last one....
    Old 02-28-2021, 04:00 PM   #25
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

One more last last thing... I'm spacing on the guy who was always their main lighting designer's name, but I think he's still with them. So of course he's doing the lights for the show. And that can be interesting to watch because for all great LD's (and he's one), it's like they're playing an instrument on the light board, and watching their hands move and the lights change is cool.

But I also remember as giant screens and videos of the band more and more were projected on screens on the stage itself, I don't remember who used to coordinate the videos but THAT is fascinating. Watching them basically "edit" the show, choose which views each of us sees from the audience, while telling other cameramen/women what to focus on if they didn't do it on their own. That's very very interesting to observe too.

I know there are a few Pearl Jam fans here too, and this reminds me a little of I just watched the 8/10/18 Seattle show official concert video, shot by a guy named Blue Leach, and I was lucky to get to talk to him at the screening of one of PJ's Night 1 concerts in another city in that same run of shows. It's so interesting talking to someone who is trying to give the audience either further away in the seats or the audience at home the best representation of what is magical about the show. So talking to him was super cool, very nice guy. And DMB's crew were lovely people too in my experience. It sounds like many of them are still on board. Which is another thing to respect about DMB, and a few other bands, who've been touring for decades: Sometimes it's easy to ditch your crew for the "newer, shinier" touring professionals (although DMB's crew no doubt has big respect in the industry I imagine). But DMB, like PJ and a few other bands who've been around for AGES are really loyal to their crews, and that's a beautiful thing.

Ok that's enough, hope those were intersting to you!
    Old 03-01-2021, 07:20 AM   #26
    dt129700

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Grace, amazing stories! Random question -- do you remember the name of the little NYC irish bar in the OP or where it was? I used to live there, had lots of favorites and was curious if I'd been to the one you were talking about.
    dt129700 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2021, 10:08 AM   #27
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dt129700 View Post
    Grace, amazing stories! Random question -- do you remember the name of the little NYC irish bar in the OP or where it was? I used to live there, had lots of favorites and was curious if I'd been to the one you were talking about.
    Hi there, I'm just going to assume that since this was going on THIRTY YEARS AGO... and also because in my later years of hanging out with DMB in NYC I don't ever remember anyone mentioning hanging back at this bar again... I'm gonna guess I wouldn't be breaking the cardinal rule of "respect privacy" if I named it. So I'll dig out that journal and find it, I tried googling what I thought it was called but I'm definitely off in the name (even if it's closed since then it should still come up.)

That said I can say this: were any of your favorite Irish bars near 14th St. in Manhattan? Because that's where this one was...