The NBA Thread - Page 1970 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-28-2021, 11:25 AM   #59071
justinandimcool
denim & sheepskin

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The NBA Thread

i didn’t see a ton of the Sacramento losses but i saw a bunch of their other games— Dallas is just not very good against pick and roll heavy teams with shooters. Sacramento has been a top 10 offense all year with Fox and Haliburton going downhill and finding guys. you pretty much have to out score them to beat them which isn’t hard on paper, but impossible if you miss the open shots they concede

i say Dallas defense is mostly good against inside out offense, where Doncic and Porzingis have to do less work. i’d say they’re more prepared for a Denver, Clippers, or Lakers than they are for a Phoenix or Utah. not enough mobility to guard either leg of the pick and roll. the saving grace is if Porzingis is played off the floor in a long series you have Kleber at the small five, for the most part he can survive out on the perimeter if switched out. and if Powell truly is capable of 10-15 minutes of backup five that would be huge, but i’m skeptical of his abilities this year

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-28-2021, 12:24 PM   #59072
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinandimcool View Post
    no Walker or Williams, but yeah still a bad loss. Fournier looks like COVID did a number on him too

i mean at this point their depth is their depth. what can ya do. at least it’s not bad as Toronto’s depth lolz just gotta pray the 8-9 man rotation is healthy in the play in

Robert Williams, Brown, Tatum, Walker, Smart, Thompson, Fournier, Pritchard, Grant Williams. i don’t see how you can remotely trust Ojeleye, Kornet, Langford, or Nesmith in an important game

Their main problem isn't their depth, it just isn't
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2021, 12:36 PM   #59073
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

i’d say it’s their underlying main problem. their season literally hinges on Walker and Williams being available, healthy, and at their peak because they don’t have a backup 1 or 5 they can trust in a long series, much less a 3/4

we can play Stephen A Smith and throw around words like “soft” but i’d rather judge using my eyes tbh. no one was calling the team soft on their winning streak. they lack talent and playoff ready players
    Old 04-28-2021, 12:41 PM   #59074
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i’d say it’s their underlying main problem. their season literally hinges on Walker and Williams being available, healthy, and at their peak because they don’t have a backup 1 or 5 they can trust in a long series, much less a 3/4

we can play Stephen A Smith and throw around words like “soft” but i’d rather judge using my eyes tbh. no one was calling the team soft on their winning streak. they lack talent and playoff ready players

Your eyes should show you that they completely tune out their coach and their best player requires a tweet from a former Celtic to be motivated, even if they were fully healthy they don't have any players that are leaders with a killer instinct. There is no KG type mentality, it is their biggest issue and they will not win anything significant until that changes.
    Old 04-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #59075
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

lucky for them there’s no such thing as a killer instinct lmao. sometimes stars are good in big games and sometimes they aren’t. Tatum has shown in the past that he can show up when it matters so that’s the least of my worries.

i haven’t been in many NBA huddles lately so i don’t know much about tuning out coaches, but they seem to be running similar stuff on both ends so...

do i wish they ran more pick and roll with Tatum and Brown- sure. when they do it’s not bad, but they don’t have the shooters to run it every down, even with Williams getting better at finishing at the rim

do i wish they played Grant Williams at the five more, sure, but he’s so inept offensively there’s no way that’s an option more than 15 minutes a game. i also wish Tristan Thompson could string together more than 2 good games but he’s just not at that level anymore

Walker literally had to be schemed around to be stopped last year in the second round. when he played remotely close to that level this year they looked like a good playoff team. all-nba level play at the 1 has always been key to their success so we’ll see, but they also have no one else to fill that role if he’s not well

all of the above can be pointed to roster versatility and depth issues

Last edited by justinandimcool; 04-28-2021 at 01:12 PM.
    justinandimcool is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2021, 01:19 PM   #59076
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Teams with great leadership definitely give up 41 points in the fourth quarter at home to a G league roster this time of year, if only Grant Williams played at the five more they'd have all the intangibles.
    Old 04-28-2021, 01:35 PM   #59077
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

i mean, yeah- if he had the talent to play at the 5 more that would mean he’d be a much better player. better players wouldve been great last night against Oklahoma City! no amount of leadership makes this team’s roster better (or healthier)

i don’t remember a lot people saying “wow i wish this team had good leadership” when they were two games away from the finals. leadership/killer instinct are fun ESPN buzz words that create bs agendas because “gee this team isnt healthy enough or talented enough this year” is too boring
    Old 04-28-2021, 01:38 PM   #59078
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Dr. J doesn't have Lebron on his top 10 all time because - according to Dr. J - Lebron started the Superteams. Someone should introduce Dr. J to Moses Malone - they'd play really well together. And then revoke any honorary degrees he might have - he also doesn't have Jordan on his all time starting 5.

https://www.complex.com/sports/juliu...time-nba-teams
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #59079
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i mean, yeah- if he had the talent to play at the 5 more that would mean he’d be a much better player. better players wouldve been great last night against Oklahoma City! no amount of leadership makes this team’s roster better (or healthier)

i don’t remember a lot people saying “wow i wish this team had good leadership” when they were two games away from the finals. leadership/killer instinct are fun ESPN buzz words that create bs agendas because “gee this team isnt healthy enough or talented enough this year” is too boring

The roster is more talented than their record indicates, more talented than giving up 41 last night, lack of leadership and drive has everything to do with why they are where they are.
    Old 04-28-2021, 01:46 PM   #59080
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    Dr. J doesn't have Lebron on his top 10 all time because - according to Dr. J - Lebron started the Superteams. Someone should introduce Dr. J to Moses Malone - they'd play really well together. And then revoke any honorary degrees he might have - he also doesn't have Jordan on his all time starting 5.

i mean, old NBA players are all haters and frankly dumb when it comes to evaluating the modern game, so this is nothing new tbh
    Old 04-28-2021, 01:49 PM   #59081
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Dumb reason to not include a guy in your top 10. Also a valid point, though.
    Old 04-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #59082
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Mike Gorman, Celtics play-by-play commentator since 1981 who is usually not critical on the team, here is what his eyes tell him:

https://985thesportshub.com/2021/04/...ltics-leaders/
    Old 04-28-2021, 02:01 PM   #59083
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    The roster is more talented than their record indicates, more talented than giving up 41 last night, lack of leadership and drive has everything to do with why they are where they are.
    definitely one of the worst losses of the season, but their three most important players weren’t playing. what i am concerned about during this slide is Walker and Williams’ availability, Grant Williams decreasing minutes, and the ineptness of their bench still. Kornet and Pritchard being literally calcified on pnr defense. Ty Jerome is a decent pnr guard but he looked like the fastest dude in the league. Romeo Langford getting lost on every defensive play was sad too. and in the Charlotte game, the limitations of their offense against athletic switching teams. those are way bigger concerns than whatever leadership narrative can be projected on it

unless of course that leadership is Danny Ainge which has been a big part of my argument all along tbh
    Old 04-28-2021, 02:03 PM   #59084
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Mike Gorman, Celtics play-by-play commentator since 1981 who is usually not critical on the team, here is what his eyes tell him:

https://985thesportshub.com/2021/04/...ltics-leaders/
    again, buzzwords. where were these concerns in the conference finals? i’d like to see his thoughts on Kornet and Langford’s defense, or Tristan Thompson’s lack of talent, or all their covid issues, or Ainge’s draft foibles
    Old 04-28-2021, 02:04 PM   #59085
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Excuses are unreal, just completely negating any thought that their record and play could be tied to leadership, okay then
    Old 04-28-2021, 02:04 PM   #59086
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

and if the criticism of Boston is Brown and Tatum, i think you’re missing the point of the whole league. you draft those guys 10 times out of 10. not their fault Anthony Davis didn’t wanna come tbh
    Old 04-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #59087
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Excuses are unreal, just completely negating any thought that their record and play could be tied to leadership, okay then
    yup! because it’s a randomly throw around buzzword. when LeBron James plays with Sasha Pavlovic he’s a bad leader, when it’s with Anthony Davis he’s a great leader. when Boston is constantly in the conference finals there’s no worries about leadership, when there’s a down year all of a sudden leadership stinks. group think is dumb tbh
    Old 04-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #59088
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    and if the criticism of Boston is Brown and Tatum, i think you’re missing the point of the whole league. you draft those guys 10 times out of 10. not their fault Anthony Davis didn’t wanna come tbh

I'm sure you are more informed about the Boston Celtics than Mike Gorman
    Old 04-28-2021, 02:11 PM   #59089
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

nope, but he probably only watches/cares about one team so his philosophy is gonna be different. he most likely isn’t wrong but if that’s how people evaluate teams i tune them out. haven’t heard too much “Jimmy Butler isn’t a leader” this year, or “oh wow Donovan Mitchell is a good leader” because the word is pretty much useless
    Old 04-28-2021, 02:17 PM   #59090
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Leadership being useless in sports is quite the take. Of course you draft Brown and Tatum for their talent, the issue is they can't get the team focused consistently, they'd have to bring someone in who gives them that.
    Old 04-28-2021, 05:53 PM   #59091
    Balor3012

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Celtic leadership was great in the first half
    Balor3012 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2021, 06:40 PM   #59092
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

i don’t understand why ESPN blocks some Lakers games in my region and some not. ridiculous. Amazon just buy out all the regional networks and fix this please

White out for the season (most likely according to Popovich) but we are still holding up well against Miami

Spoelstra is really leaning into these Dedmon lineups lol. looks like he’s gained 20 pounds but he’s definitely more of a brute inside now

Last edited by justinandimcool; 04-28-2021 at 06:42 PM.
    justinandimcool is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2021, 06:43 PM   #59093
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

Portland recovering nicely after a shitty 3 or 4 week stretch. would be a huge win if they hold on against Memphis

Denver without Murray continues to look...really really good. helps that New Orleans looks like they’re ready to lay down and die
    Old 04-28-2021, 06:54 PM   #59094
    Balor3012

My Tour Central Stats

Incredible fourth quarter. This team!
    Old 04-28-2021, 07:00 PM   #59095
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

i missed it bc i’ve been watching way too much of them what happened
    Old 04-28-2021, 07:01 PM   #59096
    Balor3012

My Tour Central Stats

Kinda farted around in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and then just put the absolute clamps on in the fourth
    Old 04-28-2021, 07:56 PM   #59097
    dmbfd15

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Watchin Suns/Clippers

Kind of nice to see Phoenix having their first really good season since Nash years. My first pro basketball game was in Phoenix. Briefly lived there while I was in elementary school. Those were the Starbury years. Not great years but I remember when they drafted Amare. I made my mom take me to stand in line at a bar that Amare was signing autographs at and then the dude left after like 30 minutes, long before my turn to get an autograph. Still bitter about that .
    dmbfd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-29-2021, 07:51 AM   #59098
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post

Let alone the fact Shaq would break Wilt like a toothpick his lists are fucking terrible. That saddens me.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #59099
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbfd15 View Post
    Watchin Suns/Clippers

Kind of nice to see Phoenix having their first really good season since Nash years. My first pro basketball game was in Phoenix. Briefly lived there while I was in elementary school. Those were the Starbury years. Not great years but I remember when they drafted Amare. I made my mom take me to stand in line at a bar that Amare was signing autographs at and then the dude left after like 30 minutes, long before my turn to get an autograph. Still bitter about that .
    that was such a fun team. plus marion and chandler. I went to a few games in phoenix during that era, cause my family would always take a vacation in arizona in spring (don't really remember why). I still have the dan majerle bobblehead I got one night during a promotion

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-29-2021, 12:33 PM   #59100
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

catching up on last night

happy for Phoenix but the center rotation is concerning, that was a lot of Kaminsky, and Saric has been great earlier this year but not sure he’d be much better in the playoffs. nice to see Phoenix score comfortably against another good defense though

Rondo has been so good. Mann is incredible at times, could be a playoff xfactor

poor Williamson...wasted a really good year. Stan Van Gundy really isn’t the guy for this team. along with some of the moves this is almost unforgivable for Griffin. this is must win game after must win game they’re dropping due to just inept guard play and coaching

Tags
    #kony2012