Memphis is a shithole of a city - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #91
justinhayes21

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Memphis is a shithole of a city

I was greatly looking forward to the Beale Street Music Fest in May until I came across this thread. Any pointers of where to check out in Memphis?
justinhayes21 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #92
    mdel21

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdel21 View Post
    I go two or three times a year. The Cooper-Young neighborhood has fun bars (Railgarten, Young Ave Deli) and good restaurants. Overton Square is a new area we discovered last time. Overton Park is a great spot to run in. There's a really nice trail along and over the Mississippi River. The best cheeseburger I've ever had was at Roxie's Grocery. The Civil Rights Museum was phenomenal.

There's shitty parts like any big city, but it's definitely a good time.
    Here's a good starting point.
    mdel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2019, 06:37 AM   #93
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinhayes21 View Post
    I was greatly looking forward to the Beale Street Music Fest in May until I came across this thread. Any pointers of where to check out in Memphis?
    As a Memphian, it's not Chicago or something but it's a good city. But do come to the festival, for the price it's unbeatable. Right on the bank of the MS river and you're a stones throw from Beale and everything downtown.

Definitely check out Gus' chicken, Central BBQ (skip Rendezvous), the Civil Rights Museum is incredible, our zoo is enjoyable and there's a ton of other great restaurants. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions or want some recs.

I'll hype the 901 till the day I die.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2019, 07:34 AM   #94
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    As a Memphian, it's not Chicago or something but it's a good city. But do come to the festival, for the price it's unbeatable. Right on the bank of the MS river and you're a stones throw from Beale and everything downtown.

Definitely check out Gus' chicken, Central BBQ (skip Rendezvous), the Civil Rights Museum is incredible, our zoo is enjoyable and there's a ton of other great restaurants. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions or want some recs.

I'll hype the 901 till the day I die.
    Hands down the best fried chicken I ever had
    Old 02-20-2019, 08:07 PM   #95
    fridge112887
    William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

What are things to do in Nashville for a bachelor party? Country music isn't really our scene but we can gladly stick it out for a weekend. I have suggested a pedal tavern but other than that, I know very little about the city.
    Old 02-20-2019, 08:55 PM   #96
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post
    What are things to do in Nashville for a bachelor party? Country music isn't really our scene but we can gladly stick it out for a weekend. I have suggested a pedal tavern but other than that, I know very little about the city.
    Are you going to be coming soon or is the visit a fair bit out? A boat tour on the Cumberland is a very popular thing to do, but depending on which tour you do, you have to book many months in advance. I’ll be honest, I’ve yet to do a boat tour myself, so I don’t really know anything specific beyond that, about which tour is the best fit so you’ll have to do your own further research if that sounds of interest.

Pinewood Social is a very cool lounge bar to hang out at. Very extensive drink and food menu, plus a bowling alley and an outdoor pool/hot tub. Very close to the heart of downtown Nashville - easy enough to walk to or from Broadway if you’re not totally shitfaced (and less than 2 minute Uber/Lyft ride)

Though you’re not big into the country scene (neither am I), the Country Music Hall of Fame is well worth your time. As is a tour of the Ryman. Both are central downtown locations.

Book a reservation for the Escape Game. Do this one early before you’ve already been drinking a lot - you will not be allowed to play if you’re clearly intoxicated.

Zanie’s or Third Coast are both good comedy club spots - have been to each one time. Based on my experience, Zanie’s is more stand up based and Third Coast is improv-based.

There is no shortage of restaurants. Hattie B’s is a must for fried chicken (the one on 8th is just a couple blocks from Zanie’s. The original location in Mid-town is more central to everything, but take an Uber/Lyft there to avoid having to pay an arm and an leg for parking). 12th Avenue South has a great number of popular restaurants - I can personally vouch for Burger Up, Edley’s BBQ, and Jeni’s Ice Cream. Bar Taco is also supposed to be great, but I still have yet to get there myself. There is a bunch of other restaurants in that area too, but also haven’t gotten to.

Tons of restaurants in the Gulch and the Five Points neighborhood in East Nashville as well.

As you get closer to the date, I would recommend visiting the Nashville subreddit. They have a stickied thread for people coming to the city soon sharing upcoming events of interest.
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Something about power boosts with anal plugs didn't quite put it above Shawshank Redemption for me
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Both movies do have anal, though.
    AlpineValley804 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #97
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Country is the main thing, of course, but you can find plenty of rock bands playing on the strip too. Bounce from bar to bar until you hear something you like.

For a good late night/dive bar spot, check out the Beer Sellar. It's just off the strip (still totally walkable) down in the basement of a large building. One of those "dirty dive bar in the best possible way" type of joints and they have a fantastic craft beer selection, if you're into that.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #98
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlpineValley804 View Post
    Are you going to be coming soon or is the visit a fair bit out? A boat tour on the Cumberland is a very popular thing to do, but depending on which tour you do, you have to book many months in advance. I’ll be honest, I’ve yet to do a boat tour myself, so I don’t really know anything specific beyond that, about which tour is the best fit so you’ll have to do your own further research if that sounds of interest.

Pinewood Social is a very cool lounge bar to hang out at. Very extensive drink and food menu, plus a bowling alley and an outdoor pool/hot tub. Very close to the heart of downtown Nashville - easy enough to walk to or from Broadway if you’re not totally shitfaced (and less than 2 minute Uber/Lyft ride)

Though you’re not big into the country scene (neither am I), the Country Music Hall of Fame is well worth your time. As is a tour of the Ryman. Both are central downtown locations.

Book a reservation for the Escape Game. Do this one early before you’ve already been drinking a lot - you will not be allowed to play if you’re clearly intoxicated.

Zanie’s or Third Coast are both good comedy club spots - have been to each one time. Based on my experience, Zanie’s is more stand up based and Third Coast is improv-based.

There is no shortage of restaurants. Hattie B’s is a must for fried chicken (the one on 8th is just a couple blocks from Zanie’s. The original location in Mid-town is more central to everything, but take an Uber/Lyft there to avoid having to pay an arm and an leg for parking). 12th Avenue South has a great number of popular restaurants - I can personally vouch for Burger Up, Edley’s BBQ, and Jeni’s Ice Cream. Bar Taco is also supposed to be great, but I still have yet to get there myself. There is a bunch of other restaurants in that area too, but also haven’t gotten to.

Tons of restaurants in the Gulch and the Five Points neighborhood in East Nashville as well.

As you get closer to the date, I would recommend visiting the Nashville subreddit. They have a stickied thread for people coming to the city soon sharing upcoming events of interest.
    If I had to guess, I'd say anywhere between mid-July to mid-August. He is having three groomsmen (no best man) - his devout Christian brother who likely wants nothing to do with strip clubs, my good friend who always wants to go to strip clubs, and another brother we know nothing about. I'm good with doing the very touristy things - pedal tavern, bars, food, anything you mentioned. I think the boat tour sounds like a great idea but it's not my bachelor party so my opinions don't hold much water. I'll find out more information and relay these ideas to him. Thanks, Casey!
    Old 02-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #99
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Country is the main thing, of course, but you can find plenty of rock bands playing on the strip too. Bounce from bar to bar until you hear something you like.

For a good late night/dive bar spot, check out the Beer Sellar. It's just off the strip (still totally walkable) down in the basement of a large building. One of those "dirty dive bar in the best possible way" type of joints and they have a fantastic craft beer selection, if you're into that.
    By "strip" do you mean Broadway?
    Old 02-21-2019, 08:35 AM   #100
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    By "strip" do you mean Broadway?
    Yep, sorry - that main stretch of Broadway with all the bars and honky tonks, etc.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #101
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yep, sorry - that main stretch of Broadway with all the bars and honky tonks, etc.
    Ah, gotcha. I've been to Nashville once but only for a quick sleep stop overnight. Do you know if there's a particular time during the summer that's more active - more events, more people, etc.?
    Old 02-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #102
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ah, gotcha. I've been to Nashville once but only for a quick sleep stop overnight. Do you know if there's a particular time during the summer that's more active - more events, more people, etc.?
    A local might be able to give a better answer (I'm from Chicago also but usually end up in Nashville once a year at least) but that downtown area is pretty much always buzzing to some extent, but certainly will be more crowded if there is a large event in town like a concert or game at the Bridgestone, etc.

Like 2017 when I went down for D&T, there was a Predators playoff game at the arena in the afternoon and then the D&T show at the Ascend at night so the entire area was just hopping like crazy all weekend.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #103
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Second weekend of June is huge because of the CMA Fest which always falls on the same weekend as Bonaroo (it certainly has the last couple years anyway) Bonaroo is probably about an hour and a half south of the city, but close enough that probably a great deal of those attendants stay overnight in Nashville.

Hotels are constantly booked on the weekends, so it’s best to just avoid that weekend altogether because they’re probably twice the normal rate at least.

Beside that, it’s really hard to say where more is going on one weekend then another, because it seems like there is always something of interest going on. Plus downtown has a massive convention center (a few years ago, they hosted the NRA and a multi-floor gun show), so if something big is going on there, that’s definitely going to bring in 10s of thousands of extra people into the city. The key takeaway is that there’s really no down-weekend in Nashville, especially in the summer. City developers are constantly on their heels trying to get more hotel construction just to keep up with the demand.
    Something about power boosts with anal plugs didn't quite put it above Shawshank Redemption for me
    Quote:
    Old 02-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #104
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

AirBnb is a great option for accommodations too, especially if you're with a large group. I booked an entire condo 1 mile from the Bridgestone near Vanderbilt for $59 a night for the DMB show in May. Hotels in the same area are $300-$400 a night or more.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #105
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    AirBnb is a great option for accommodations too, especially if you're with a large group. I booked an entire condo 1 mile from the Bridgestone near Vanderbilt for $59 a night for the DMB show in May. Hotels in the same area are $300-$400 a night or more.
    I was hanging out with Matthew’s (ExistenceNow) group for most of that weekend and they booked a great place in East Nashville.

I would definitely look at AirBnB options before hotels for sure. If you’re in any of the neighborhoods adjacent to downtown (East Nashville, 12 South, Green Hills, Sylvan Park, Hillsboro Village, Berry Hill, Midtown, etc.), you’re a quick Uber/Lyft ride away from everything.
    Quote:
    Old 02-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #106
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

I know Nashville has a TopGolf. Always a fun thing to do with some buds. Not a unique thing to Nashville but it something everyone in your crew would probably enjoy.

Gotta get some Hot Chicken while you're there too.
    Old 02-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #107
    neumdogg
    Happy birthday, Paulie!

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Damn that dude from the first 2 pages REALLY likes New Jersey.
    neumdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #108
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlpineValley804 View Post
    Second weekend of June is huge because of the CMA Fest which always falls on the same weekend as Bonaroo (it certainly has the last couple years anyway) Bonaroo is probably about an hour and a half south of the city, but close enough that probably a great deal of those attendants stay overnight in Nashville.

Hotels are constantly booked on the weekends, so it’s best to just avoid that weekend altogether because they’re probably twice the normal rate at least.

Beside that, it’s really hard to say where more is going on one weekend then another, because it seems like there is always something of interest going on. Plus downtown has a massive convention center (a few years ago, they hosted the NRA and a multi-floor gun show), so if something big is going on there, that’s definitely going to bring in 10s of thousands of extra people into the city. The key takeaway is that there’s really no down-weekend in Nashville, especially in the summer. City developers are constantly on their heels trying to get more hotel construction just to keep up with the demand.
    I'll be in New Buffalo, MI for my college roommate's bachelor party the second weekend of June My buddy that's getting married lives about 20ish minutes from downtown so we'll probably just crash at his place Friday and Saturday night.

Quote:
    I know Nashville has a TopGolf. Always a fun thing to do with some buds. Not a unique thing to Nashville but it something everyone in your crew would probably enjoy.

Gotta get some Hot Chicken while you're there too.
    Although I'm embarrassing awful at it, I wouldn't be opposed to Top Golf; however, I don't know how avid a golfer the groom or his brothers are. This will be difficult because even though the party is 100% about the bachelor and what he wants, I still feel as though we (my friend and I) still have to somewhat cater to the two other brothers in a sense.

Nashville's thing is BBQ food, yeah?
    Old 02-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #109
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'll be in New Buffalo, MI for my college roommate's bachelor party the second weekend of June My buddy that's getting married lives about 20ish minutes from downtown so we'll probably just crash at his place Friday and Saturday night.

Although I'm embarrassing awful at it, I wouldn't be opposed to Top Golf; however, I don't know how avid a golfer the groom or his brothers are. This will be difficult because even though the party is 100% about the bachelor and what he wants, I still feel as though we (my friend and I) still have to somewhat cater to the two other brothers in a sense.

You can certainly find damn good BBQ there, though as far as a 'signature' food BBQ is more associated with Memphis. Hot Chicken is definitely the Nashville thing - Casey mentioned Hattie B's for that which is amazing. Oh and biscuits. Awesome biscuits.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #110
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

doing a deal for a big apartment building in Memphis. seems nice, not a shithole.
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #111
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Memphis is more so the BBQ place in TN but I'm sure they have good BBQ there.

As for Top Golf, I had never even swung a golf club outside of putt-putt before I went to Top Golf and I had a huge time. Just a couple of buddies, got some drinks, a few food items that we shared and we just played the different games you can on the course. It made me want to start playing golf.

I think they have a bunch of inside stuff too like pool and arcade games, etc.

Quote:
    You can certainly find damn good BBQ there, though as far as a 'signature' food BBQ is more associated with Memphis. Hot Chicken is definitely the Nashville thing - Casey mentioned Hattie B's for that which is amazing. Oh and biscuits. Awesome biscuits.
    Hattie B's is good but there's a place called Pepperfire that I think is better and it always has a shorter line. Hattie B's has a ridiculous line at all hours and it's just not as impressive as the wait deserves IMO.
    Old 02-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #112
    mdel21

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    doing a deal for a big apartment building in Memphis. seems nice, not a shithole.
    What part of town?
    mdel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #113
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdel21 View Post
    What part of town?

Center city, along the river iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #114
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Memphis is more so the BBQ place in TN but I'm sure they have good BBQ there.

As for Top Golf, I had never even swung a golf club outside of putt-putt before I went to Top Golf and I had a huge time. Just a couple of buddies, got some drinks, a few food items that we shared and we just played the different games you can on the course. It made me want to start playing golf.

I think they have a bunch of inside stuff too like pool and arcade games, etc.

Hattie B's is good but there's a place called Pepperfire that I think is better and it always has a shorter line. Hattie B's has a ridiculous line at all hours and it's just not as impressive as the wait deserves IMO.
    I haven’t gotten to Pepperfire, but it’s definitely on my list. My actual favorite place for fried chicken though is Prince’s - emphasis on fried chicken, not hot chicken. Even the mild is way the hell too hot for me at Prince’s, and I like food with some heat. But their regular fried chicken is fucking outstanding.

Unfortunately, however, they are shut down indefinitely due to a recent fire as a result of a car driving into the restaurant, so I had to go with Hattie’s as there is no way to tell if Prince’s will be back open by the time Fridge visits.
    Quote:
    Old 02-23-2019, 05:54 AM   #115
    JTRocks

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Chicagoan here who has been going to Beale Street Music fest the last 5 years and go figure, of all years, I wont be able to make it this year. The city definitely isn't as polished as Nashville, but it's a great place to go for a couple nights. If you're going to the music fest, you have Beale street right there where you can go pregame and have a few beers and it's like a 15 minute walk to the festival grounds. Beale street is basically like a miniature bourbon street that's lined with bars and the street is blocked off from cars. You can have open container on the street just like you can in new orleans. I think the cutoff time for the music fest is 11, so you can still walk to beale after and I think last call might not be until 2:30, someone might want to fact check me on that though.

a couple recommendations:

-you can get cheap AirBNBs. the hotels fill up fast for the fest

-Central BBQ is probably the best BBQ spot there

-they have a Hattie B's Nashville hot chicken probably a 10-minute drive from downtown. definitely worth trying if you've never had it

-if Memphis is getting rain the day of the fest or in the days leading up to it, do NOT wear any shoes to the festival that you plan on wearing ever again. the place basically turns into a mud pit and those shoes will not be making the trip home with you
    JTRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #116
    pearljammer

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Good God, Nashville is overrun with Bachelor/bachelorette parties these days lol. It seems to mostly be bachelorette parties.
    pearljammer is offline   Reply With Quote