Live Trax 55: Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre 4.29.09 - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Live Releases

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-24-2021, 10:41 AM   #31
Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Live Trax 55: Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre 4.29.09

Even if we disregard setlists and choose a layup...how about MSG. The energy that opening night, I'm sure, would wipe the floor with this show. Who starts a tour at MSG?!
Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-24-2021, 10:46 AM   #32
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I just don’t understand what the point of this series is anymore. It felt like it used to highlight some special shows and now they just keep cranking out run of the mill weekday shows with nothing that stands out.

And it’s just like, what are they waiting for? Do they really think they can release the “good stuff” when we’re on Live Trax Vol. 127 twenty years from now and expect people to still buy them?
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 10:49 AM   #33
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

If you really felt like you needed Beach Ball and full band Rye Whiskey in the Live Trax series then the show 2 nights later had a longer version of Beach Ball with a mini-jam, as well as featuring Raven and Pig. This isn't hard people.

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.aspx?id=453056622

Last edited by MOWJO8185; 03-24-2021 at 10:50 AM.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 10:52 AM   #34
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

No 24/96 FLAC option, as usual. They must have stopped offering them.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 10:52 AM   #35
    two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Even if we disregard setlists and choose a layup...how about MSG. The energy that opening night, I'm sure, would wipe the floor with this show. Who starts a tour at MSG?!
    a band that was supposed to release an album that day, only to delay it for 2 months

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    I just don’t understand what the point of this series is anymore. It felt like it used to highlight some special shows and now they just keep cranking out run of the mill weekday shows with nothing that stands out.

And it’s just like, what are they waiting for? Do they really think they can release the “good stuff” when we’re on Live Trax Vol. 127 twenty years from now and expect people to still buy them?
    yup. i've closely followed the LT series since i became a fan in 05 and for awhile it felt like they either released special shows or at least tried to release special shows. now.... "run of the mill" is the perfect way to describe what the series has become. such a shame
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 10:52 AM   #36
    moosicmaniac

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

What a weird choice. Goddamn.
    moosicmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #37
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post

They’re clearly losing interest and enthusiasm, and these types of releases don’t help. The lack of news about a studio album after the talk about it in the fall (and the lack of good studio work over the past decade), the lack of BTCS reissue, etc etc etc.

It all kills engagement. And by time they get around to it, who knows if the demand will still be there. Baffling business decisions
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 10:54 AM   #38
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    If you really felt like you needed Beach Ball and full band Rye Whiskey in the Live Trax series then the show 2 nights later had a longer version of Beach Ball with a mini-jam, as well as featuring Raven and Pig. This isn't hard people.

You'd get many people complaining that Beach Ball was released as it's mentioned as a show highlight in the Warehouse write-up. Having said that, I'd prefer your choice.
    Old 03-24-2021, 11:00 AM   #39
    SPAC_Boy

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

This release is just stupid. Like seriously, wtf
    SPAC_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #40
    mquerques92

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I don't even need to click the link to know I'd be roughly 100x more likely to buy the show you're referring to. This is enough.
    mquerques92 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #41
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

With so many damn good shows around, choosing this one seems really a bad choice.

Even if 2009 is pretty much uncovered in terms of releases (only LT35 and DMBEurope). But, only looking at the setlist, this one doesn’t look like a great, unforgettable, night. Let’s see the performances.

Wait, there was a guest!
    No, forget it, is Joe Lawlor, that doesn’t count.
    Old 03-24-2021, 11:15 AM   #42
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

I'm willing to give this a listen before I start complaining. Maybe I'll like this show. People hated '18 Hollywood Bowl because it was a '18 show and not '07, but I do enjoy the '18 show.
    Old 03-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #43
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    I'm willing to give this a listen before I start complaining. Maybe I'll like this show. People hated '18 Hollywood Bowl because it was a '18 show and not '07, but I do enjoy the '18 show.
    I think people hated Hollywood Bowl because they skipped over BTCS and then put out a $125 vinyl box set of a show no one was asking for.

It would have been fine had it just been CD/digital.
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #44
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I really do think that releasing shows spanning every year, including unpopular years, is the way to go. There's value to mine from each year from a rare songs perspective. I'm not some guy who wants only 1993-2000 released.

I just think they are bad at picking shows that show the diversity of those years.

Like, 2010, we have 6 releases from. The fact that we received 6 releases from that year and yet don't have Hello Again, JTR, Kit Kat Jam, Break For It, So Right, or Sweet Up and Down, all of which were played in the very first 2 night stand of that tour, is insane.

Instead, they released Citi Field and Montage Mountain which were 2 nights apart and had 8 common songs. Both pretty solid sets as a standalone, but sort of inexcusable to release both when there's so much other 2010 material to mine.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #45
    hensleytyler44

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Gosh - take me back to the days when the Avett Brothers were opening for DMB! What a great night of music that would be again!

I have a lot of nostalgia for 09-10 tours, Junior & Senior year of high school, takes me back to summer nights driving around my city blaring DMB. I know I'm in the minority probably but I will be picking this show up
    hensleytyler44 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #46
    Hilly

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    I think people hated Hollywood Bowl because they skipped over BTCS and then put out a $125 vinyl box set of a show no one was asking for.

It would have been fine had it just been CD/digital.

It was on CD!
    Old 03-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #47
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    Should have been Nashville 09!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Don't worry, Nashville will have a fun little release coming up! Widely talked about show!
    Old 03-24-2021, 11:55 AM   #48
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

If the setlist doesn't wow you right away, I can understand that, but this was a really great performance. You'll want to check it out.
    Old 03-24-2021, 12:01 PM   #49
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I really do think that releasing shows spanning every year, including unpopular years, is the way to go. There's value to mine from each year from a rare songs perspective. I'm not some guy who wants only 1993-2000 released.

I just think they are bad at picking shows that show the diversity of those years.

Like, 2010, we have 6 releases from. The fact that we received 6 releases from that year and yet don't have Hello Again, JTR, Kit Kat Jam, Break For It, So Right, or Sweet Up and Down, all of which were played in the very first 2 night stand of that tour, is insane.

Instead, they released Citi Field and Montage Mountain which were 2 nights apart and had 8 common songs. Both pretty solid sets as a standalone, but sort of inexcusable to release both when there's so much other 2010 material to mine.
    Totally agree. I am very disappointed in this as I assumed I would be and stated as such in these very boards. I said they'd pick a random year and show from a tour no one wants or is clamoring for at all... 2009 shouldn't be on the table at this point and this random show pre release of BW... No sense at all...

With XM getting an 03 and 04 show, both of top notch caliber performances and sets, I do not understand how they settled on this for an official release...

The band/crew must mark down shows directly after they are played in some kind of ranking... And those rankings aren't looked at in comparison to other shows. Like say for instance this show was off the hook and energetic. The band was feeling great and more or less had Big Whiskey in the bag. I could see a them going this show was amazing in the moment.

BUT when you compare it to other shows that tour, or looking at a list of these ranked shows to release, it straight up doesn't compare.

This set is blah and very typical 2009. With multiple shows already released that have extremely good performances... Spring 2009 they were still finding their way with songs like Spaceman and Why I Am...

I have to wonder if part of the criteria is how many debuts did a show have? It seems to always be a sticking point in the description.. Like this shitty set had 2 songs that hadn't been played before. Let's release it. Even if the debuts of these songs are not good.
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #50
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I always imagine Hilly waiting to throw himself on management to protect them like Pocahontas whenever they release something awful like this.
    Old 03-24-2021, 12:07 PM   #51
    SeanMH
    GoWokeGoBroke

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

i'll pass...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klize17 View Post
    Last nights was the best version of Satellite I have ever heard.
    SeanMH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #52
    Andy Meeks

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I was there. I had a radio DJ friend who got me two comps for this show. It was a thrill to see them do a two night stand at a new home venue for me, but otherwise, the shows were just ok. There are lots of other shows from the ATL area I was at that I’d rather have. I’ll get it because I was there, and for the sentimental value. One of 3 DMB shows I saw with my dad. He passed away from Covid last fall.
    Andy Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #53
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    If the setlist doesn't wow you right away, I can understand that, but this was a really great performance. You'll want to check it out.
    Everyone said this about the Cow Palace release AND LT 53 and LT 52.. These sets are incredibly boring.... BUT JUST LISTEN TO THE ENERGY!

pbbbbth
    Old 03-24-2021, 12:10 PM   #54
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andy Meeks View Post
    I was there. I had a radio DJ friend who got me two comps for this show. It was a thrill to see them do a two night stand at a new home venue for me, but otherwise, the shows were just ok. There are lots of other shows from the ATL area I was at that I’d rather have. I’ll get it because I was there, and for the sentimental value. One of 3 DMB shows I saw with my dad. He passed away from Covid last fall.
    Sorry for your loss.
    Old 03-24-2021, 12:16 PM   #55
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    Don't worry, Nashville will have a fun little release coming up! Widely talked about show!
    Please be trolling
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 12:25 PM   #56
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    Everyone said this about the Cow Palace release AND LT 53 and LT 52.. These sets are incredibly boring.... BUT JUST LISTEN TO THE ENERGY!

pbbbbth
    Cow Palace LT54 and LT53 were good shows. I don't understand why every LT has to have many rarities to be release and noteworthy. This show does have a couple of nice rarities. I'm buying for sure.
    Old 03-24-2021, 12:29 PM   #57
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So just download the tape then

You’re spending money to give it a try
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 12:30 PM   #58
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Cow Palace LT54 and LT53 were good shows. I don't understand why every LT has to have many rarities to be release and noteworthy. This show does have a couple of nice rarities. I'm buying for sure.
    It's not about rarities for me. It's about setlist flow. Unique sets don't always mean 10 songs that don't get played all the time. But song placement. You look at this set and it's THE STANDARD set for 09/10... Like 75% of shows have something very similar... And we already have a couple standard shows from that tour.

Honestly, rarities can be a let down on a release. Sometimes they're sloppy or over hyped.. But on paper it's the tits.
    Old 03-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #59
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    So just download the tape then

You’re spending money to give it a try
    I'm paying for the first time experience and high quality audio. Both together are justifiable for me.
    Old 03-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #60
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    53 is a bad show... It stinks. Only 13 songs with Crash DDTW Stay Minarets and IBYU played with no emotion at all... no flecktones, it sounds like they ran it through a garbage disposal while they mixed it.