Are We Brainwashed? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
Dagwin

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Are We Brainwashed?

As the subject says...

Do you think Everyday and Stand Up have "brainwashed" us into liking Big Whiskey more than we would have w/o those failed previous efforts lowering our standards for a good DMB album?

It's as if those albums prepped us for a different DMB, and since Big Whiskey is better than those two albums, we forgot what DMB used to be?

Just something I was pondering this morning. Thoughts?

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
    SeanMH
    GoWokeGoBroke

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Are We Brainwashed?

yes, but not in those ways.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klize17 View Post
    Last nights was the best version of Satellite I have ever heard.
    Old 06-14-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I can't speak for others, but while acknowledging that BWGGK is a solid album and worlds beyond Stand Up and Busted Stuff, it is also nowhere even close to the Big 3.
    Old 06-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
    Gaijin86

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    I can't speak for others, but while acknowledging that BWGGK is a solid album and worlds beyond Stand Up and Busted Stuff, it is also nowhere even close to the Big 3.

I don't think Big Whiskey is world's beyond Busted Stuff, but other than that, my sentiments exactly.
    Old 06-14-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
    Dagwin

My Tour Central Stats

Let's suppose Big Whiskey was the album they released after the Lillywhite Sessions were scrapped, instead of Everyday.

How well would it have been received then?
    Old 06-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
    thegreatr1
    23 & tired of life

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

To disappointment because of the attachment people (myself included) had developed to the Lillywhite material after hearing it during the summer and winter of 2000 tours (though keep in my the sessions had not leaked to Napster until March, whereas Everyday was released in February, so we would not have had the full comparison yet).

"You shouldn't take life so seriously. You'll never make it out alive." - VW
    Old 06-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #7
    BrettMatthews

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I like BWGGK, as well as I like "BustedStuff/Lillywhite sessions" and the big three plus the first two...... the only sidesteps were Everyday and Stand Up..but even on those albums are some really good songs, but bad productions nonetheless...imo
    Old 06-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dagwin View Post
    Let's suppose Big Whiskey was the album they released after the Lillywhite Sessions were scrapped, instead of Everyday.

How well would it have been received then?
    Probably much less well than it was received now, though better than Everyday still probably... that's my guess.

Of course we'll never know...
    Old 06-14-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
    sonofsuns34
    over-rated cells

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

one of us, one of us, one of us...
    Old 06-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
    Millstone

My Tour Central Stats

no i speak my mind on what i think of it
    Old 06-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #11
    dmaul1114

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

No. I spent the past couple days listening to all the DMB albums (including RTT and TWS).

Big Whiskey is just a damn solid album. It may not be quite on par with the Big 3 (though I think there's some chance it may rank ahead of UTTAD for me if it holds up), but it's a damn good album IMO. I like every song, and really love a few of them.

I really did the "heavier" sound and more electric guitar. Fits more in with most of the music I listen to outside of DMB. Though I see how many DMB fans who are big acoustic guitar fans would be put off by it a bit.
    Old 06-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
    thore33

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I think that I'm just a fan of DMB, period. Everyday was fine. Stand Up is really the only one i don't listen much to. But, I do think that I can appreciate music with a fresh point of view every time, even if it is DMB. I think every album has had its own "take" or flare, and I honestly think the ONLY thing that prevents BWGGK from being a Top4 is lack of a few jam breaks. Do i feel brainwashed to like it? Not at all... it's just a badass band with a fuller sound.
    Old 06-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    Yea
    Old 06-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #14
    WaltzingBack

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

"what is wrong with being brainwashed? Wash it every day, keep it clean."

-Osho

Old 06-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #15
    acoustic_soul
    proudest billie

My Tour Central Stats

Short answer is yes. If BW had come out right after BTCS I probably would have been hugely dissapointed. But I love it right now.
    Old 06-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #16
    tedies
    You have to say it

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not brainwashed. I love how people assume everyone hates everything off of everyday and stand up. You can not like an album overall and still like songs off it.. I like songs I like, I don't let stupid things effect my opinions like this.
    I'm thinking about becoming a Reds fan.
    Old 06-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #17
    dmaul1114

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tedies View Post
    I'm not brainwashed. I love how people assume everyone hates everything off of everyday and stand up. You can not like an album overall and still like songs off it.. I like songs I like, I don't let stupid things effect my opinions like this.
    Exactly.

I really enjoy some of the hated songs here like Corn Bread, Eh Hee, Bayou, Dream Girl, Angel etc., and don't care for some of the beloved songs like Typical Situation, Jimi Thing, Lie in Our Graves etc.

All that matters it what I like and enjoy listening to.
    Old 06-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #18
    aoeiifreak

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
    Exactly.

I really enjoy some of the hated songs here like Corn Bread, Eh Hee, Bayou, Dream Girl, Angel etc., and don't care for some of the beloved songs like Typical Situation, Jimi Thing, Lie in Our Graves etc.

All that matters it what I like and enjoy listening to.
    LIOG guild members unite!
    Old 06-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #19
    warehouse1421
    Waker > Morning Sun

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

we're constantly being shaped by our experiences. did everyday and stand up play a part? probably. if this came after btcs, probably wouldn't be as hot as it is. but who knows? everyone's taste is different
    Old 06-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #20
    Mudcatt

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I have no problem admitting that I think that Big Whiskey is a great album. My only problem comes when people criticize the DMB for "changing." That is what bands do and I have no problem with them trying new things. Who am I to judge their intentions. I have no idea what their intentions are and neither does anyone outside of the band. If they put something out that I do not like I will not listen ot it. There is tons of good music out there.
    Old 06-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #21
    dmaul1114

My Tour Central Stats

I'd agree with that. I love when bands take risks and change their sounds. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. But it's still better than staying to similar as that gets boring.
    Shows Attended: 6/15/96; 6/3/98; 5/9/99; 6/4/99; 8/2/02; 8/3/02; 7/14/04; 6/26/05; 6/24/06; 6/28/08; 6/19/09; 6/20/09; 7/27/10; 5/22/12; 12/11/12; 4/7/13; 5/24/14; 5/30/15; 5/28/16; 5/31/17; 5/26/18; 7/27/21; 5/21/22
    Old 06-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #22
    DJGeneral
    The GENERAL

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I enjoy most of Everyday and Stand Up, so I don't think this applies.
    Old 06-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #23
    BlueMonkey
    Celebrate, we will!

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mudcatt View Post
    I have no problem admitting that I think that Big Whiskey is a great album. My only problem comes when people criticize the DMB for "changing." That is what bands do and I have no problem with them trying new things. Who am I to judge their intentions. I have no idea what their intentions are and neither does anyone outside of the band. If they put something out that I do not like I will not listen ot it. There is tons of good music out there.
    This.

BW is not intended to be UTTAD, Crash, or BTCS vol 2. How boring would it be if DMB just continued to put out the same sound each album?

What I liked about DMB when I first became a fan in the mid 90's was that they had such a unique and complex layered sound. While the sound of DMB has changed over the years (+/- keyboards, electic guitar, trumpet, etc), the layered tracks are what keeps the DMB sound in 2009 so unique and different musically than anything else out there.
    Old 06-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #24
    comerelaxnow

My Tour Central Stats

nah. i think if anything Stand Up and Everyday made us look at BW ever harder and made us judge it even harder.
    Old 06-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #25
    Dagwin

My Tour Central Stats

I think BW is solid, myself. A couple problems I have are the lack of jamming, Boyd pushed to the background and mediocre lyrics. The band will certainly make up for this in a live setting. The Big Whiskey songs are very conducive to expansion live.

Time Bomb stands out as an example. The song should have been longer. It seems it needed another verse or something prior to going all out. And it seems the song ends too fast once it gets heavier. Maybe, as someone else said, it should've gone back to the slower, softer part to end the song with.

And then the live version I heard from Beacon Theatre sounds much improved with the added jam.

Stand Up and Everyday, save for a couple tunes, did not lend itself well to the stage. So, they started off bad, and stayed that way. This is where Big Whiskey will outshine those turds, hands-down!
    Old 06-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #26
    made2heal

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

You and Me, together, we can be brainwashed, baybay. Yeahs, Yeahs!
    Old 06-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #27
    inmytree

My Tour Central Stats

I agree with the notion that a band should never, ever, ever repeat itself. This band is not going to repeat BTCS and make it better; it's too good. They should not try. They should do something new and try to surpass it.

About the notion of brainwashing, I don't think so. Playing devil's advocate, isn't it just as logical to say that people have been "brainwashed" into thinking that due to the substandard material offered this decade, that the band could never possibly achieve the heights of the 90s and automatically make them biased against new material? I think that's just as likely a 'brainwashing' example.

I think there's examples of both types of people (those who will like whatever this band does, and those who refuse to like anything new no matter what), and there is some groupthink in the fanbase, but overall I think people will decide what they like and dislike on their own. I think there's a problem if you let your opinions be formed by biases like that or by opinions on a message board.
    Old 06-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #28
    Dagwin

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
    I agree with the notion that a band should never, ever, ever repeat itself. This band is not going to repeat BTCS and make it better; it's too good. They should not try. They should do something new and try to surpass it.

About the notion of brainwashing, I don't think so. Playing devil's advocate, isn't it just as logical to say that people have been "brainwashed" into thinking that due to the substandard material offered this decade, that the band could never possibly achieve the heights of the 90s and automatically make them biased against new material? I think that's just as likely a 'brainwashing' example.

I think there's examples of both types of people (those who will like whatever this band does, and those who refuse to like anything new no matter what), and there is some groupthink in the fanbase, but overall I think people will decide what they like and dislike on their own. I think there's a problem if you let your opinions be formed by biases like that or by opinions on a message board.
    You know it happens to some, though. Some people are highly suggestible. I can almost guarantee that there is someone on these boards that didn't like Seven to begin with, but after reading other people's thoughts on the song, have decided to change their mind so they aren't left out of what they are told is good music.
    Old 06-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #29
    inmytree

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dagwin View Post
    You know it happens to some, though. Some people are highly suggestible. I can almost guarantee that there is someone on these boards that didn't like Seven to begin with, but after reading other people's thoughts on the song, have decided to change their mind so they aren't left out of what they are told is good music.
    I think that's definetely true. I think it goes both ways; I'm sure there are people who didn't give a damn who produced DMB but now, after hearing everybody say it over and over again, now thinks that DMB cannot make a great album without Lillywhite.

I think both those groups exist; however, I don't think they're in the majority.
    Old 06-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #30
    ahogan

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

Maybe we are brainwashed, but if BWGK came out and was followed by Everyday and then Stand Up, I think this site might be fighting for it's life...