Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2015, 01:38 AM   #31
dmb9howell
Totes
 
dmb9howell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,540

Shows Seen: 219

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbetc View Post
Id rather take a rusty 2000 show than a perfect 2014 show.
Absolutely
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteveness View Post
I think my gf is weirded out, she asked why I was laughing and I said a dog in a lobster suit and I just tubgirled people on a message board
dmb9howell is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-22-2015, 01:47 AM   #32
    bartender_man
     
    bartender_man's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2002
    Location: New Zealand
    Posts: 19,896

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
    MM is an average song. It would get stale really fast if it was in regular rotation. That being said, I'd love to catch it live at least once.

    I've never been a fan of MM either....
    __________________
    Posted by BO with the best post ever:

    I'd rather lose the ability to hear than listen to another Phish song.
    bartender_man is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 01:54 AM   #33
    TrippinNancies1
    Slippin slow away...
     
    TrippinNancies1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: West Coast
    Posts: 4,177

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
    MM is an average song. It would get stale really fast if it was in regular rotation. That being said, I'd love to catch it live at least once.
    I disagree completely. That 12-string guitar riff, the vocal melodies/ delivery, Roi's sax fills, the lyrics.. Just perfect. I wouldn't even want them to revisit it in the studio because the Lillywhite version is perfection. Big Whiskey is average. Everyday is average. Monkey Man? Frankly I'd rank it up there with The Stone and Dreaming Tree.
    __________________
    Just thinking out loud...
    Current top 10: Seek Up, The Dreaming Tree, Monkey Man, The Stone, Lover Lay Down, Black and Blue Bird, Broken Things, Proudest Monkey, Lying In The Hands Of God, Captain (LWS)
    TrippinNancies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 02:11 AM   #34
    TwoStep2888
    all in
     
    TwoStep2888's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: WI
    Posts: 54,036

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    yeah I've never loved Monkey Man as such as most seem to, prob my least favorite tLWS song.
    __________________
    twitter | Prompter Crew 2004-life
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    TwoStepnumbers is the best. he brings all his equipment on the bus. You can't fuck with that guy.
    seatbelts.
    TwoStep2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 02:13 AM   #35
    bartender_man
     
    bartender_man's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2002
    Location: New Zealand
    Posts: 19,896

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrippinNancies1 View Post
    I disagree completely. That 12-string guitar riff, the vocal melodies/ delivery, Roi's sax fills, the lyrics.. Just perfect. I wouldn't even want them to revisit it in the studio because the Lillywhite version is perfection. Big Whiskey is average. Everyday is average. Monkey Man? Frankly I'd rank it up there with The Stone and Dreaming Tree.

    I get a lot of people really like it and that's great but alongside Stone and Dreaming Tree
    __________________
    Posted by BO with the best post ever:

    I'd rather lose the ability to hear than listen to another Phish song.
    bartender_man is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 02:25 AM   #36
    TrippinNancies1
    Slippin slow away...
     
    TrippinNancies1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: West Coast
    Posts: 4,177

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartender_man View Post
    I get a lot of people really like it and that's great but alongside Stone and Dreaming Tree
    Easily. Sincerely I do. Obviously the production is objectively less polished than anything from Before These Crowded Streets, but I truly think the band reached an artistic height with Monkey Man. If it doesn't "click" with some people for whatever reason, fine, but to say it's only average and would get stale if played live? I just disagree.
    __________________
    Just thinking out loud...
    Current top 10: Seek Up, The Dreaming Tree, Monkey Man, The Stone, Lover Lay Down, Black and Blue Bird, Broken Things, Proudest Monkey, Lying In The Hands Of God, Captain (LWS)
    TrippinNancies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 02:34 AM   #37
    bartender_man
     
    bartender_man's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2002
    Location: New Zealand
    Posts: 19,896

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrippinNancies1 View Post
    Easily. Sincerely I do. Obviously the production is objectively less polished than anything from Before These Crowded Streets, but I truly think the band reached an artistic height with Monkey Man. If it doesn't "click" with some people for whatever reason, fine, but to say it's only average and would get stale if played live? I just disagree.

    Do you put Monkey Man over LWS versions of Captain and Bartender? Because those are the real two that stand out for me from those sessions.
    __________________
    Posted by BO with the best post ever:

    I'd rather lose the ability to hear than listen to another Phish song.
    bartender_man is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 02:48 AM   #38
    TrippinNancies1
    Slippin slow away...
     
    TrippinNancies1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: West Coast
    Posts: 4,177

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartender_man View Post
    Do you put Monkey Man over LWS versions of Captain and Bartender? Because those are the real two that stand out for me from those sessions.
    I would put it on the same tier as those two, and I agree they are stand-outs on the album. Particularly LWS Captain, which is exponentially superior to it's Busted Stuff counterpart. Not really sure what happened there. IMO Busted Stuff's Bartender is really good, but it does lack a certain quality that the LWS version had. Damn this band used to be amazing.
    __________________
    Just thinking out loud...
    Current top 10: Seek Up, The Dreaming Tree, Monkey Man, The Stone, Lover Lay Down, Black and Blue Bird, Broken Things, Proudest Monkey, Lying In The Hands Of God, Captain (LWS)
    TrippinNancies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 02:55 AM   #39
    rantingthespian
     
    rantingthespian's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Posts: 4,990

    Shows Seen: 0
    Send a message via AIM to rantingthespian

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartender_man View Post
    Do you put Monkey Man over LWS versions of Captain and Bartender? Because those are the real two that stand out for me from those sessions.
    Definitely. In fact, the two best recordings from the LWS are JTR and Monkey Man. Both sound nearly finished, IMO. Band is tight, recording is great, Dave's lyrics are clear and concise, and Dave doesn't sound like he wants to kill himself (like he does on Captain).
    __________________
    Whaddaya know, Haddi-man?
    rantingthespian is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #40
    chadizzy1
    Plane Recovery Expert
     
    chadizzy1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: Central Arkansas
    Posts: 33,952

    Shows Seen: 39

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartender_man View Post
    Do you put Monkey Man over LWS versions of Captain and Bartender? Because those are the real two that stand out for me from those sessions.
    tLWS Captain is my favorite thing this band has done in a studio session.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 12:47 PM   #41
    daveshookme
    Bing Bong, Bing Bong!
     
    daveshookme's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: Mind - Godric's Hollow; Body - Albany, NY
    Posts: 42,531

    Shows Seen: 41

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrippinNancies1 View Post
    I disagree completely. That 12-string guitar riff, the vocal melodies/ delivery, Roi's sax fills, the lyrics.. Just perfect. I wouldn't even want them to revisit it in the studio because the Lillywhite version is perfection. Big Whiskey is average. Everyday is average. Monkey Man? Frankly I'd rank it up there with The Stone and Dreaming Tree.
    so much wrong with this.

    everyday is way below average.

    BW is above average.

    Monkey man is right smack in the middle. Average DMB. Not their best, not their worst. Just average. Decent.
    __________________
    #BeltMelt2k14 never forget

    Tyler made me change my sig and I did because you just don't fuck with poop-apples.
    daveshookme is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #42
    TrippinNancies1
    Slippin slow away...
     
    TrippinNancies1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: West Coast
    Posts: 4,177

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    so much wrong with this.

    everyday is way below average.

    BW is above average.

    Monkey man is right smack in the middle. Average DMB. Not their best, not their worst. Just average. Decent.
    So by that logic you're saying songs like Shake Me, Seven, You & Me, Funny The Way It Is, Time Bomb, Etc. are better than Monkey Man? I'm sorry the song hasn't clicked with you, maybe someday it will. But saying Monkey Man is but an average/ decent song, inferior to Big Whiskey And The GrooGrux King, is i believe a false statement.
    __________________
    Just thinking out loud...
    Current top 10: Seek Up, The Dreaming Tree, Monkey Man, The Stone, Lover Lay Down, Black and Blue Bird, Broken Things, Proudest Monkey, Lying In The Hands Of God, Captain (LWS)
    TrippinNancies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #43
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball
     
    Cryfreedom09's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: Lawrenceville, GA
    Posts: 2,651

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Monkey Man is waaaaayyyyyyyyyy above average.

    /Thread

    or rather: next random thought
    __________________
    GOOOOOOO DAWGS !!!!!!!!!!!
    Cryfreedom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #44
    tyler3440
     
    tyler3440's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Location: Jackson, MS
    Posts: 15,469

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Will last stop make a return this summer?
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #45
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball
     
    Cryfreedom09's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: Lawrenceville, GA
    Posts: 2,651

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Will last stop make a return this summer?
    God I hope so. It's so overdue.
    __________________
    GOOOOOOO DAWGS !!!!!!!!!!!
    Cryfreedom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #46
    bowa36
     
    bowa36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2002
    Location: GA
    Posts: 8,324

    Shows Seen: 40

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Will last stop make a return this summer?
    Most likely not. I predict that these songs will be liberated this year:

    Dive In
    The Maker


    After last year, I can't see too much going on this year. Some new song debuts and a couple returns are all I can see happening.
    __________________
    When it's not the colors that matter,
    but that they'll all fade away
    bowa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 05:18 PM   #47
    snow1868
    Party in the back!
     
    snow1868's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Location: Apopka, FL
    Posts: 27,153

    Shows Seen: 12
    Send a message via AIM to snow1868 Send a message via MSN to snow1868

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    I think a lot are forgetting that the Monkey Man that ended up on tLWS was the earliest stages of the song. Who knows what it sounded like later on, but reports from the sessions say it changed a lot.
    __________________
    Ryan
    Go Pokes! Go Royals! Go Chiefs!

    Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #48
    TrippinNancies1
    Slippin slow away...
     
    TrippinNancies1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: West Coast
    Posts: 4,177

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Random thought: The fact that Boyd had to re-record his Lie In Our Graves solo on Live In Chicago sours the performance for me and I rarely listen to it because of this.
    __________________
    Just thinking out loud...
    Current top 10: Seek Up, The Dreaming Tree, Monkey Man, The Stone, Lover Lay Down, Black and Blue Bird, Broken Things, Proudest Monkey, Lying In The Hands Of God, Captain (LWS)
    TrippinNancies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #49
    dontdrink36
    Till We Dance Away
     
    dontdrink36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Location: Canton, GA
    Posts: 16,983

    Shows Seen: 37

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    Most likely not. I predict that these songs will be liberated this year:

    Dive In
    The Maker


    After last year, I can't see too much going on this year. Some new song debuts and a couple returns are all I can see happening.
    These would be good returns, Broken Things needs a few plays as well.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #50
    TrippinNancies1
    Slippin slow away...
     
    TrippinNancies1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: West Coast
    Posts: 4,177

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    These would be good returns, Broken Things needs a few plays as well.
    Absolutely It needs more than a few plays.
    __________________
    Just thinking out loud...
    Current top 10: Seek Up, The Dreaming Tree, Monkey Man, The Stone, Lover Lay Down, Black and Blue Bird, Broken Things, Proudest Monkey, Lying In The Hands Of God, Captain (LWS)
    TrippinNancies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #51
    bartender_man
     
    bartender_man's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2002
    Location: New Zealand
    Posts: 19,896

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Will last stop make a return this summer?
    Doubt it
    __________________
    Posted by BO with the best post ever:

    I'd rather lose the ability to hear than listen to another Phish song.
    bartender_man is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #52
    tyler3440
     
    tyler3440's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Location: Jackson, MS
    Posts: 15,469

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    https://instagram.com/p/0gx_9-RilA/
    I don't think this photo is from 2013 like they claim it is looks more like 2007
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #53
    TheStone91
     
    TheStone91's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: IA
    Posts: 4,012

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    https://instagram.com/p/0gx_9-RilA/

    I don't think this photo is from 2013 like they claim it is looks more like 2007

    Yeah, definitely not 2013. Butch is on stage.

    Looks like 2006/2007 to me too.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #54
    chadizzy1
    Plane Recovery Expert
     
    chadizzy1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: Central Arkansas
    Posts: 33,952

    Shows Seen: 39

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    https://instagram.com/p/0gx_9-RilA/
    I don't think this photo is from 2013 like they claim it is looks more like 2007
    I love the comments

    "I thought this looked familiar - I was there!"
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #55
    tyler3440
     
    tyler3440's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Location: Jackson, MS
    Posts: 15,469

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    How could these people on Instagram be so stupid. I swear dmb family people are air heads sometimes they piss me off.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #56
    crashintonickdm
    FIRE RUSSO
     
    crashintonickdm's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
    Posts: 69,225

    Shows Seen: 69

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Build you a house > monkey man
    __________________
    -Nick

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    I'm Hilly and even I think your argument is stupid and flawed.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #57
    tommy mandone
     
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Posts: 296

    Shows Seen: 8

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrippinNancies1 View Post
    Random thought: The fact that Boyd had to re-record his Lie In Our Graves solo on Live In Chicago sours the performance for me and I rarely listen to it because of this.
    Thats funny because I actually fast forward over his solo in that version of the song because I love Tims solo in that version, I wish Tim still played that way in this day and age and that Boyd was on top of his game all the time

    As for Monkey Man, its neat that we actually get yo hear it but its not that great of a song def better than most BW songs and far from the stone or anything BTCS
    tommy mandone is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #58
    daveshookme
    Bing Bong, Bing Bong!
     
    daveshookme's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: Mind - Godric's Hollow; Body - Albany, NY
    Posts: 42,531

    Shows Seen: 41

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    https://instagram.com/p/0gx_9-RilA/

    I don't think this photo is from 2013 like they claim it is looks more like 2007

    .... Is that Roi?
    __________________
    #BeltMelt2k14 never forget

    Tyler made me change my sig and I did because you just don't fuck with poop-apples.
    daveshookme is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 11:32 PM   #59
    Jsc6545
     
    Jsc6545's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Posts: 21,966

    Shows Seen: 37

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    2013 that's hilarious. Gotta love the warehouse
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Matthews
    I definitely want people to walk away feeling like, "That was almost cool."
    Jsc6545 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #60
    crashintonickdm
    FIRE RUSSO
     
    crashintonickdm's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
    Posts: 69,225

    Shows Seen: 69

    Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

    lol roi and the 914 in 2013? shitty ass waarehouse
    __________________
    -Nick

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    I'm Hilly and even I think your argument is stupid and flawed.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:36 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Matt's Twitter
    Jake's Twitter
    Joe's Twitter