Ranking the DMB Venues - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-20-2022, 10:48 AM   #31
KeithBox007
Chasing Alligator Pie

Shows Seen: 82

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Ranking the DMB Venues

My top 10 of current/recurring venues on tour, albeit with some recency bias likely blended in. This list just reflects the venue itself, not taking playlists or the greater region/activities into account.

1. Gorge
2. Hollywood Bowl
3. Blossom - Cuyahoga Falls
4. Charleston - Credit One Stadium
5. MSG
6. Alpine
7. Camden
8. Merriweather Post Pavilion
9. JPJ in Charlottesville
10. Molson Amphitheatre - Toronto

If I included all time venues, Red Rocks slots in at #1, and Montage Mountain would be somewhere in the 7-10 slot.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-20-2022, 11:00 AM   #32
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

After going to Gorge this year, Gorge blows every other venue out of the water.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2022, 11:39 AM   #33
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KeithBox007 View Post
    My top 10 of current/recurring venues on tour, albeit with some recency bias likely blended in. This list just reflects the venue itself, not taking playlists or the greater region/activities into account.

1. Gorge
    2. Hollywood Bowl
    3. Blossom - Cuyahoga Falls
    4. Charleston - Credit One Stadium
    5. MSG
    6. Alpine
    7. Camden
    8. Merriweather Post Pavilion
    9. JPJ in Charlottesville
    10. Molson Amphitheatre - Toronto

If I included all time venues, Red Rocks slots in at #1, and Montage Mountain would be somewhere in the 7-10 slot.
    Interesting Camden over Merriweather.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2022, 11:44 AM   #34
    ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I've been surprised to see people rank Charlotte over Raleigh. I couldn't name one thing about Charlotte that I found superior to Raleigh.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2022, 12:46 PM   #35
    KeithBox007
    Chasing Alligator Pie

Shows Seen: 82

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Interesting Camden over Merriweather.
    In fairness, I think I prefer the interior of MPP over Camden substantially, but I was a big fan of the Philly skyline view strolling around the lawn pre-show.
    Old 09-20-2022, 10:26 PM   #36
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

1. Gorge
    2. Pine Knob
    3. Alpine
    4. Van Andel
    5. Deer Creek
    6. SPAC
    7. Blossom
    8. Budweiser Stage (Toronto)
    9. Tinley Park
    10. Marcus Amphitheater (Summerfest) — would not go here if the band was playing their last show ever here
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 07:02 AM   #37
    CrushLive
    #dmb2encores

Shows Seen: 136

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 View Post
    So SPAC is a great for the 5,000 people in the pavilion but not the 20,000 in the lawn? To me, that kind of eliminates it. I realize it gets 2 night stands and great set lists, but a great venue should be great for a majority of those in attendance.
    Go sit on the lawn at Gorge and tell me the sound is great there...

9/4/16 - Columbia River Survivor - Never Forget!

Hello Again Part 2: SPAC
    CrushLive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 07:10 AM   #38
    nerrfhearder

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I haven't been SPAC, Bethel, MSG, CMAC, Syracuse, Hartford, Darien, and whatever the Albany, NY arena is now called (was going to Gorge this year but family emergency cancelled).

Although I love SPAC I need to make note of Bethel as a favorite of mine - it doesn't quite beat SPAC because it's in the middle of nowhere and there isn't alot to do super close by like SPAC and MSG - the setlist tends to be a 1 night setlist and doesnt get may liberations - BUT the venue itself is beautiful with a large lawn. I mean it is on the original location for Woodstock so there is some history there.

SPAC grounds are on a beautiful state park with lots to do golfing, hiking etc. Bethel has that great Woodstock museum, and some historical locations from Woodstock.

If judging by venue alone Bethel and SPAC for me is a very close heat - sometimes Bethel wins sometimes SPAC wins... judging on venue alone.
    nerrfhearder is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 07:15 AM   #39
    mynameismike

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushLive View Post
    havent seen enough shows elsewhere to make a list but was literally just at the gorge on the lawn and the sound was great
    mynameismike is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2022, 08:57 AM   #40
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Been to Gorge and others, not delusional. Gorge has a view. I'll take everything else at SPAC and MSG over it. And MSG has the best city in the world, and some views of its own.

Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate the Gorge, and I totally get why people put it at the top...it's just not at the top for me, and that doesn't make me delusional.

If ALL we are taking into account is the venue (not the crowd, surrounding area, etc.), then yes, I agree Gorge. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.
    Red Rocks has great, different, views.
    Part of why I will take RR over Gorge because when you take everything else into account, I thinks it’s better

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
    And I can find a downfall to any venue that’s not ideal for the majority
    Gorge, wind and phasing issues of sound
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mynameismike View Post
    havent seen enough shows elsewhere to make a list but was literally just at the gorge on the lawn and the sound was great
    Hit or miss imo
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2022, 10:15 AM   #41
    bustedstuff88

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mynameismike View Post
    Can concur

2022: Alpine x2, Gorge x3, Minneapolis
    bustedstuff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2022, 02:54 PM   #42
    dsim

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

glad there is some love for the Hollywood Bowl. Iconic. Dave said he was intimidated by being there considering its history. Never been to the Gorge, but it seems to be a list of its own with the camping isolation aspect. No one show and go. You are all in or not. That must create a community feel that is hard to replicate elsewhere.
    dsim is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2024, 10:26 AM   #43
    ponyboykixit13

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Only been to 26 shows bit ill rate my opinion here
    1.Gorge by far.
    2. Deer creek but I camp for the weekend. That's what puts this above blossom the entire experience. I also think they get better sets imo.
    3.Blossom Cuyahoga Falls OH it's a long walk but basically playing in a wooded park setting.
    4.starlake outside of Pittsburgh venue was nice but parking and traffic is notoriously horrible.
    5.Riverbend I need to give it a 2nd shot but didn't enjoy the turf lawn area.
    ponyboykixit13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2024, 12:11 PM   #44
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Red Rocks > Everything else
    Old 01-15-2024, 12:23 PM   #45
    mquerques92

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

I mean, this is all you really need to know:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Best venue - Gorge
    Best place to see them - SPAC, assuming seats

But to rank the venues I've personally been to:

1a. Gorge
    1b. SPAC
    2a. Deer Creek
    2b. Camden
    3. MSG
    4. Hartford
    5. Mansfield
    6. JPJ
    7. Holmdel
    8. Summerfest
    9. Wilmington
    10. Jones Beach
    mquerques92 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2024, 06:46 AM   #46
    illinifan

Shows Seen: 59

My Tour Central Stats

1. Alpine in it's heydey
    2. Deer Creek any year
    3. Mexico (not counting free booze and food in this rating. They do a great job with the venue)
    4. Fiddler's. (Venue is nothing special but there's something about the band coming on at dark and you're wearing a hoodie and drinking beer)
    5. WPB (only been once for both shows and it was scorching hot. Sets are usually solid)
    100. JPJ (2023 was a letdown of epic proportions for me. Dave was clueless that weekend and the venue was meh)

Last edited by illinifan; 01-16-2024 at 06:47 AM.
    illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2024, 10:03 AM   #47
    Mountains#41

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by illinifan View Post
    1. Alpine in it's heydey
    2. Deer Creek any year
    3. Mexico (not counting free booze and food in this rating. They do a great job with the venue)
    4. Fiddler's. (Venue is nothing special but there's something about the band coming on at dark and you're wearing a hoodie and drinking beer)
    5. WPB (only been once for both shows and it was scorching hot. Sets are usually solid)
    100. JPJ (2023 was a letdown of epic proportions for me. Dave was clueless that weekend and the venue was meh)
    I mean it's my home venue, but outside of 2021 (weird late year add) and 2022 (random freezing rain for 48 hours between 70-80 degree days around it) it's typically hot AF, no hoodie required lol.
    Mountains#41 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2024, 10:04 AM   #48
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
    Red Rocks > Everything else
    I think that's easy to be said for any act lol. If DMB every plays there again, ya. But it's no longer a true DMB venue. Just a venue from their past.
    Old 01-16-2024, 10:25 AM   #49
    bartender407

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mountains#41 View Post
    I think that's easy to be said for any act lol. If DMB every plays there again, ya. But it's no longer a true DMB venue. Just a venue from their past.
    I don't understand why they have completely abandoned Red Rocks. If it's a logistics issue, then scale down the lighting rig and have a minimalistic approach. I'm sure fans wouldn't mind.
    bartender407 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2024, 10:48 AM   #50
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartender407 View Post
    I don't understand why they have completely abandoned Red Rocks. If it's a logistics issue, then scale down the lighting rig and have a minimalistic approach. I'm sure fans wouldn't mind.
    It sounds easy in theory to do that, but I think they configure the set up and all shows/venues have to meet certain requirements. I don't think it's like pieces they can move in and out unfortunately. But ya, if they just dropped the normal stage rig, I'd take a bare bones show just music.

I do think Red Rocks fits A Level acts stage configurations. They just Re did the roof and the stage to to hang better/bigger rigs and lighting from in the last couple years.. but just the actual load in/out is not easy for a band DMB's size.
    Old 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM   #51
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Spent two of my three nights at Gorge on the lawn and sound was great. Little Red Bird was a stand out song as being one of the best quiet E1s I've heard in years because of both the crowd and sound being good so you could actually HEAR it.

Meanwhile SPAC, though I have not been personally the pictures I see of the lawn literally looks like you are tailgating outside the building where the concert is actually happening... It is absolutely fair to put Gorge over SPAC based on the lawn experience discrepancy alone.
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2024, 12:03 PM   #52
    southbenddmb

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Fun Topic on a nice 3 degree day here in Northern Indiana. Note: I've never been to SPAC so will leave it off my list until I have the chance to go.

1. Gorge - Really no atmosphere like it. From the view, to immersing yourself in the camping experience, to 3 unique sets its kind of unmatched on any given tour.
    2. Deer Creek - My home venue and will admit to some bias here but the lawn is fantastic and the sound quality on the lawn is hard to beat. Tailgating is a blast, solid sets, easy in and out, and really not a bad seat in the house.
    3. Hollywood Bowl - Love the history behind the venue along with the unique stage setup and seating arrangements. Doesn't hurt that strings have a habit of making an appearance here.
    4. MSG - While not a fan of NYC its undeniable how awesome this venue is. Lights, acoustics, great views from near every seat. But honestly its the fans that make this experience such a treat. These are rowdy shows with diehards.
    5. Alpine - One of my favorite every other year trips that I can imagine used to rank higher on this list but the party isn't quite the level it used to be. Not many places to stay near the venue makes this one tough although plenty of bus options from Milwaukee and Chicago. I do love the amphitheater's unique shape though.

Honorable Mention: Fiddler's Green, Woodlands, Tempe Beach Park (Innings Fest), Moon Palace.

2024 - Innings Fest, London x 2
    southbenddmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2024, 12:14 PM   #53
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by southbenddmb View Post
    Fun Topic on a nice 3 degree day here in Northern Indiana. Note: I've never been to SPAC so will leave it off my list until I have the chance to go.

1. Gorge - Really no atmosphere like it. From the view, to immersing yourself in the camping experience, to 3 unique sets its kind of unmatched on any given tour.
    2. Deer Creek - My home venue and will admit to some bias here but the lawn is fantastic and the sound quality on the lawn is hard to beat. Tailgating is a blast, solid sets, easy in and out, and really not a bad seat in the house.
    3. Hollywood Bowl - Love the history behind the venue along with the unique stage setup and seating arrangements. Doesn't hurt that strings have a habit of making an appearance here.
    4. MSG - While not a fan of NYC its undeniable how awesome this venue is. Lights, acoustics, great views from near every seat. But honestly its the fans that make this experience such a treat. These are rowdy shows with diehards.
    5. Alpine - One of my favorite every other year trips that I can imagine used to rank higher on this list but the party isn't quite the level it used to be. Not many places to stay near the venue makes this one tough although plenty of bus options from Milwaukee and Chicago. I do love the amphitheater's unique shape though.

Honorable Mention: Fiddler's Green, Woodlands, Tempe Beach Park (Innings Fest), Moon Palace.

You would enjoy SPAC, as long as you are in seats
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2024, 12:35 PM   #54
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Shame they don’t play Red Rocks anymore. Probably the best venue in the country. Gorge is awesome on every level and Red Rocks is still somehow better.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2024, 01:24 PM   #55
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    Shame they don’t play Red Rocks anymore. Probably the best venue in the country. Gorge is awesome on every level and Red Rocks is still somehow better.
    Very correct statement.
    Old 01-16-2024, 02:09 PM   #56
    TrippingBilliez

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

said it before. Gorge is the best venue, hands down not even close. SPAC has the best crowds. If 75% of the seats at SPAC werent shit, i would rate the venue closer to the Gorge than it is now. MSG also has great crowds but the shows tend to be better overall at SPAC than MSG in my experience. Cant go wrong with any of them.
    TrippingBilliez is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2024, 02:17 PM   #57
    jasonfilatov

Shows Seen: 78

My Tour Central Stats

1. Gorge
    2. Alpine
    3. SPAC
    4. Deer Creek
    5. MSG
    Old 01-16-2024, 04:10 PM   #58
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrippingBilliez View Post
    said it before. Gorge is the best venue, hands down not even close. SPAC has the best crowds. If 75% of the seats at SPAC werent shit, i would rate the venue closer to the Gorge than it is now. MSG also has great crowds but the shows tend to be better overall at SPAC than MSG in my experience. Cant go wrong with any of them.

The seats at SPAC >>>>>> seats at the Gorge
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2024, 04:30 PM   #59
    daytondmb40

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Gorge
    SPAC
    Alpine
    Blossom
    Deer Creek
    Old 01-16-2024, 04:45 PM   #60
    Zags85

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Way too much time spent rankings on the big venues. I've done Texas and some others like Tinley, Grand Rapids, etc. but only included the major stops.

Lodging and travel
    Creek
    MSG
    SPAC
    Gorge
    Alpine

Ticket availability for non lawn (Best to worst)
    Alpine
    Gorge
    Creek
    MSG
    SPAC

Pre show N0 and town
    SPAC
    MSG
    Gorge *didn't camp but assumption and Seattle was fun
    Creek
    Alpine

Acoustics