New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 642 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-29-2022, 11:45 AM   #19231
madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elconguero View Post
The pushback he said he gave to that one female artist he produced I can almost bet he would never do to Dave.
Side note to your main point, but Rachel Yamagata's first album is very good. I haven't listened to the rest, so I cant comment on those, but I do like the first one.
madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-29-2022, 11:48 AM   #19232
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Some observations from listening to dead wax interview with Alagia:

1. Your close friend can not be your editor. He can say he will be honest but he will not be honest. The pushback he said he gave to that one female artist he produced I can almost bet he would never do to Dave.

2. Dave started playing guitar in his 20's? No, he didn't. It's well documented he always had a guitar at his side growing up. Sounds like a fan, yeah man he is so amazing and only started in his 20's. Of course he could have just misspoke. But having a huge fan as your producer. Not good.

3. See #1. That is why "She" was on last record. That song sucks. I want to hear Daves quirky riffs not generic rock. Alagia was like Dave check out this riff and what's Dave gonna say, "uh, no thanks John." Dave is too nice.

4. Record company needs to step in and make them use a real producer. Not meaning Alagia isn't one but he is too close. Can't see the forest for the trees because he is in the inner circle. Maybe now is when you go full circle and get T-Bone Burnett.

All in all this is why this whole process is dragging out. No leader. Dave doesn't seem to be a leader. Leaders make tough decisions. Dave has been talked out of doing what he wants on several records. He keeps saying it in interviews. I liked it but .....

So we have no leader, no editor, no album.

Just something to debate til 2023.
    Sounds about right. You’d think this would be obvious at this point that they need a producer to lead the effort.
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 11:50 AM   #19233
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

1. Your close friend can not be your editor. He can say he will be honest but he will not be honest. The pushback he said he gave to that one female artist he produced I can almost bet he would never do to Dave.

2. Dave started playing guitar in his 20's? No, he didn't. It's well documented he always had a guitar at his side growing up. Sounds like a fan, yeah man he is so amazing and only started in his 20's. Of course he could have just misspoke. But having a huge fan as your producer. Not good.

3. See #1. That is why "She" was on last record. That song sucks. I want to hear Daves quirky riffs not generic rock. Alagia was like Dave check out this riff and what's Dave gonna say, "uh, no thanks John." Dave is too nice.

4. Record company needs to step in and make them use a real producer. Not meaning Alagia isn't one but he is too close. Can't see the forest for the trees because he is in the inner circle. Maybe now is when you go full circle and get T-Bone Burnett.

All in all this is why this whole process is dragging out. No leader. Dave doesn't seem to be a leader. Leaders make tough decisions. Dave has been talked out of doing what he wants on several records. He keeps saying it in interviews. I liked it but .....

All very interesting points.
    I have the impression that at this point of its career, Dave doesn’t want a real producer. A Steve Lillywhite that makes tough decision, sometimes against Dave’s opinion. That’s why Alagia and Evans.
    Old 09-29-2022, 11:57 AM   #19234
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Not sure how accurate the points are to DMB specifically, could be completely on point, but I do agree with a lot of Elconguero's points in general
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 01:52 PM   #19235
    NewOrleans

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Ya, I was confused about Alga saying Dave started playing in his 20's. I thought he started around 9 or 10? Perhaps he started writing/getting serious about playing in his 20s, but the band formed in his 20's, so he wasn't a noob.
    NewOrleans is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 01:53 PM   #19236
    NewOrleans

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    All very interesting points.
    I have the impression that at this point of its career, Dave doesn’t want a real producer. A Steve Lillywhite that makes tough decision, sometimes against Dave’s opinion. That’s why Alagia and Evans.
    Ya. I would agree with you. I think the band is more concerned with enjoying the process and getting along as opposed to someone that's going to push them to make a great record at any cost.
    Old 09-29-2022, 01:54 PM   #19237
    NewOrleans

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Side note to your main point, but Rachel Yamagata's first album is very good. I haven't listened to the rest, so I cant comment on those, but I do like the first one.
    Yes! Haven't listened to it in sometime, but she's very talented. She was almost on the verge of being the next thing, but don't think her follow up records were that strong in terms of radio playability.
    Old 09-29-2022, 01:56 PM   #19238
    NewOrleans

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

She is a great rock song. Just fucking kills on the record and live. You can not like it, but some people do. So that's just a matter of opinion there.
    Old 09-29-2022, 02:26 PM   #19239
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewOrleans View Post
    She is a great rock song. Just fucking kills on the record and live. You can not like it, but some people do. So that's just a matter of opinion there.
    She is a trash song live. Yes some people like it but it isn't something that wins over the majority of a crowd like some of the classic big 3 songs. Song should be shelved forever and is an example of what I am worried about with a new album without someone challenging Dave. I want noo more She, Come Tomorrow, TGIY poorly written songs from this band.
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 02:27 PM   #19240
    NewOrleans

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monizzle145 View Post
    She is a trash song live. Yes some people like it but it isn't something that wins over the majority of a crowd like some of the classic big 3 songs. Song should be shelved forever and is an example of what I am worried about with a new album without someone challenging Dave. I want noo more She, Come Tomorrow, TGIY poorly written songs from this band.
    To each their own. I think your opinions are TRASH too. Just trashy trash. Just throw them in the street with a dirty diaper. Whatever you like, I think it's trash. Just saying.
    Old 09-29-2022, 03:35 PM   #19241
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewOrleans View Post
    She is horrible in the studio and live. The lyrics are terrible and it's boring. Bottom 10 all time for sure..maybe even bottom 5. The only memorable thing about the song for me is how the lyrics made me physically cringe whenever I saw it live. https://dmbalmanac.com/Lyrics.aspx?sid=16944
    Old 09-29-2022, 03:38 PM   #19242
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I love She. I also love Morrissey and the Chicago Bears. Take all of this for what you will.

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 04:05 PM   #19243
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

People make wild exaggerations of what songs is in their bottom 5. One week She is on it, another response the same day they make room for Can't Stop and Plastic Girl (which has only been played twice, same year, 7 years ago).
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 04:06 PM   #19244
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

I like She. I wouldn't pout if it's played at a show I'm at. Would like more '18-'22 shows in the LT series.
    Old 09-29-2022, 04:12 PM   #19245
    NewOrleans

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    She is horrible in the studio and live. The lyrics are terrible and it's boring. Bottom 10 all time for sure..maybe even bottom 5. The only memorable thing about the song for me is how the lyrics made me physically cringe whenever I saw it live. https://dmbalmanac.com/Lyrics.aspx?sid=16944
    Cool. I honestly don't care how much you hate it and how much of an effort you are attempting to lay on to show that and make me say something back to you. I like it. It's a good song and I'll take it at 50% of the shows I go to.
    Old 09-29-2022, 04:12 PM   #19246
    NewOrleans

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    People make wild exaggerations of what songs is in their bottom 5. One week She is on it, another response the same day they make room for Can't Stop and Plastic Girl (which has only been played twice, same year, 7 years ago).
    Exactly. It's just the hated flavor of the day. Geez you nut jobs.
    Old 09-29-2022, 04:30 PM   #19247
    karczews41

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    That Girl is You
    Here on Out
    Baby Blue
    Belly Full
    When I’m Weary

And I’m assuming Something to Tell My Baby coming up too.
    With the exception of TGIY I think the recordings of the remainder of these are solid. Not great in a live setting maybe (Here On Out and TGIY shine live), but the recordings are good.
    karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 04:32 PM   #19248
    karczews41

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    She is a solid bottom 5 song. As is Monkey Man.
    karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 04:43 PM   #19249
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Lol @ throw it in the street with a dirty diaper
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 05:03 PM   #19250
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I love She as well.
    Old 09-29-2022, 05:10 PM   #19251
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karczews41 View Post
    What is your bottom 5, nay, bottom 10, just to see how well you stick to it.
    Old 09-29-2022, 05:47 PM   #19252
    BarkRock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karczews41 View Post
    Agree. Rare doesn't mean good. I think people confuse the two sometimes.
    BarkRock is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 05:48 PM   #19253
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BarkRock View Post

This absolutely is the case
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 06:02 PM   #19254
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not really, I've always strongly disliked Good Good Time and it's bottom 5-10ish for me. The lineup has changed a little over the years since the band keeps producing bottom of the barrel material, like She
    Old 09-29-2022, 06:52 PM   #19255
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What is your bottom 5, nay, bottom 10, just to see how well you stick to it.
    To be fair, he has always been pretty vocal about his distaste for Monkey Man (I strongly disagree, obviously)

Quote:
    Agreed 100%. See “Dreams of Our Fathers”.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 06:56 PM   #19256
    mynameismike

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not really, I've always strongly disliked Good Good Time and it's bottom 5-10ish for me. The lineup has changed a little over the years since the band keeps producing bottom of the barrel material, like She

Oh my. I tend to agree with you more often then not but Good Good Time is a top song for me that I hope I get to see someday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mynameismike is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 06:56 PM   #19257
    jane88

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I agree. I also think people confuse new and good sometimes. Like hoping for an album of all new songs when the potential of the new songs not being good is high.
    jane88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 06:57 PM   #19258
    Captainnumber36

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I really love She actually. There very few DMB songs I dislike, I'm a fanboy!
    Captainnumber36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 07:48 PM   #19259
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Monkey Man never moved the needle for me . The intro is great and then it kinda loses me by the end. It would have been great if they finished it.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 08:01 PM   #19260
    DannoMac21

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Monkey Man is an amazing tune. Surprised at this sudden "bottom 5 song" take.
    DannoMac21 is offline   Reply With Quote