Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread - Page 505 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-18-2022, 02:55 PM   #15121
RSSR
Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
Couldn't agree more. The Dreaming Tree is probably considered a bathroom break for a large percent of the modern DMB audience. Pay For What You Get at SPAC was filled with people talking and not caring, and that was at SPAC.

Let's break down the different types of fans I met during my 5 shows this summer.

1) People there solely for the party
2) 30-50 somethings there for memories, who haven't been to a show in X years, or only see the band sporadically compared to their younger days.
3) Hardcore fans who have been to 50+ shows who are chasing songs and analyze the sets. They've been to multiple stops this summer.
4) People who know some hits and have never been to a show.

I imagine it's not easy to satisfy all four of those audiences. On any given night, I would guess they always satisfy audiences 1 and 4. The other two probably has some unhappy campers, but for the most part, I think most of those people go home happy.
Yup, it's just like that Fire Dancer logo Dave drew, he's looking at the crowd and seeing that still in the audiences. He's not seeing a lot of people with their arms folded with looks on their faces.
RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-18-2022, 02:58 PM   #15122
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

If I was playing a song that made people bust out into a "Buddy" chant every night, I probably wouldn't stop playing it either.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2022, 03:17 PM   #15123
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    People discussing or debating setlists never seem to agree with the most important question of them all: who is DMB playing for?
    Obviously they should play my personal ideal setlist every night rotating/debuting only the songs I want and think are cool. Also the sets should only have songs that excite me when I am setlist watching from home, never mind the experience the average fan at the show would have. More interesting for me to read stuff like What you are, Pay for what you get, and Dreaming Tree on my screen while not listening to the show. It would really ruin my night if they played a fun cover that the general casual crowd would like so they better not do that.
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2022, 04:20 PM   #15124
    Gunz

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Would it possible for Dave to get Paul McCartney to guest on a couple shows at a show?
    Think there is a better shot at Dave guessing at a Paul show. Although live and let die would sound pretty slick with this lineup I imagine.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2022, 05:09 PM   #15125
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Couldn't agree more. The Dreaming Tree is probably considered a bathroom break for a large percent of the modern DMB audience. Pay For What You Get at SPAC was filled with people talking and not caring, and that was at SPAC.

Let's break down the different types of fans I met during my 5 shows this summer.

2) 30-50 somethings there for memories, who haven't been to a show in X years, or only see the band sporadically compared to their younger days.
    3) Hardcore fans who have been to 50+ shows who are chasing songs and analyze the sets. They've been to multiple stops this summer.

I imagine it's not easy to satisfy all four of those audiences. On any given night, I would guess they always satisfy audiences 1 and 4. The other two probably has some unhappy campers, but for the most part, I think most of those people go home happy.
    Listen to the video i shot of PFWYG at the 1:22 mark after I am completely floored that it was being played you can hear someone in the balcony say "What is it?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpa6...=Concertvids34
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2022, 05:19 PM   #15126
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monizzle145 View Post
    Listen to the video i shot of PFWYG at the 1:22 mark after I am completely floored that it was being played you can hear someone in the balcony say "What is it?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpa6...=Concertvids34
    Didn't realize you were Concertvids34. I always watch your stuff. Thank you for posting. But yea, I'm actually happy to hear that people were singing along. The lawn definitely didn't appreciate it as much. It's a shame, but that's kinda what the scene has become.
    Quote:
    Old 07-18-2022, 05:36 PM   #15127
    Erich
    Handsome & Genocidal

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    Think there is a better shot at Dave guessing at a Paul show. Although live and let die would sound pretty slick with this lineup I imagine.
    Semi apology for the random thought, but this is a random thread... it's fairly common knowledge that Paul McCartney told Weird Al he was NOT allowed to use Live and Let Die for a parody. Al was going to do "Chicken Pot Pie", in his own unique Al way. The reason he was rejected, and I hope to god this is the truth, is that Paul is THAT strict of a vegetarian. He didn't want to to be associated with meat in even that capacity.

Couple that with the famous GnR cover of the song, and every time the song is mentioned, all I can hear in my head is Axl screaming "CHICKEN POT PIE-IE-IE-YEAH"
    Old 07-18-2022, 06:19 PM   #15128
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    Semi apology for the random thought, but this is a random thread... it's fairly common knowledge that Paul McCartney told Weird Al he was NOT allowed to use Live and Let Die for a parody. Al was going to do "Chicken Pot Pie", in his own unique Al way. The reason he was rejected, and I hope to god this is the truth, is that Paul is THAT strict of a vegetarian. He didn't want to to be associated with meat in even that capacity.

Couple that with the famous GnR cover of the song, and every time the song is mentioned, all I can hear in my head is Axl screaming "CHICKEN POT PIE-IE-IE-YEAH"
    Sounds like Paul lol
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2022, 07:22 PM   #15129
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

I don’t know, James Brown and Stevie Wonder joined DMB on stage, maybe it’s not out of the realm of possibilities. Paul did join Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band on stage, but it was in London tho.
    Old 07-18-2022, 08:02 PM   #15130
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If I was playing a song that made people bust out into a "Buddy" chant every night, I probably wouldn't stop playing it either.
    That chant is as spontaneous as thank you during SDL, can't help falling during the Stone, and Hani Hani for ED...it's practiced and it's a fair amount of die hards buying into it. The casual fans aren't really aware of Buddy or deep musical thinkers/appreciators.

That "reaction" has nothing to do with the quality of the song, the jam, or anything Buddy's playing. It's the same as when Rashawn KILLED the solo in Crush at SPAC, but it's those high note trills that people think are so cool and impressive (they're neither).

But I realize Bayou isn't going anywhere (in any sense of the phrase).

Last edited by grilldanmo; 07-18-2022 at 08:04 PM.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2022, 01:56 AM   #15131
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    That chant is as spontaneous as thank you during SDL, can't help falling during the Stone, and Hani Hani for ED...it's practiced and it's a fair amount of die hards buying into it. The casual fans aren't really aware of Buddy or deep musical thinkers/appreciators.

That "reaction" has nothing to do with the quality of the song, the jam, or anything Buddy's playing. It's the same as when Rashawn KILLED the solo in Crush at SPAC, but it's those high note trills that people think are so cool and impressive (they're neither).

I think you're overthinking a lot of this. The song is popular and elicits a positive reaction, and that's why it's been played almost nonstop since he joined the band.
    Quote:
    Old 07-19-2022, 03:37 AM   #15132
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Just a question about setlists. I know most of us on the boards may leave a show disappointed we didn't get to hear shotgun, jtr, or something else we have been chasing, but I wonder what percentage of casual fans leave unhappy because crash, or stay, or maybe satellite wasn't played? As much as many of us would want dreaming tree and busted stuff, I'd imagine casual fans would want to hear many of those 90s radio hits. Im just guessing there's alot more leaving disappointed they didn't hear crash than any song alot of us would be looking to hear.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2022, 05:39 AM   #15133
    monizzle145

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigeyedpigs View Post
    Just a question about setlists. I know most of us on the boards may leave a show disappointed we didn't get to hear shotgun, jtr, or something else we have been chasing, but I wonder what percentage of casual fans leave unhappy because crash, or stay, or maybe satellite wasn't played? As much as many of us would want dreaming tree and busted stuff, I'd imagine casual fans would want to hear many of those 90s radio hits. Im just guessing there's alot more leaving disappointed they didn't hear crash than any song alot of us would be looking to hear.
    I was on Instagram live last night talking about that flip side of it. I have heard a few casual fans by me at 2-3 shows be a little shocked that they didn't play ants at a show or crash into me but I think that is a small minority. The other thing is I think many casual or first time live fans come expecting the big hit and end up being impressed by a cover like watchtower or now fool in the rain or sledgehammer (yeah i know i am sick of sledge too even as a huge PG fan).

But it does make for an interesting study to see how many casuals are upset they didn't get the hit song at a show. I went to see disturbed at Summerfest 2 days before alpine this year and if they didn't play "The Sickness" I would've been disappointed even though I love their deep cuts as well. Obviously they played their biggest song.
    Old 07-19-2022, 05:42 AM   #15134
    monizzle145

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Didn't realize you were Concertvids34. I always watch your stuff. Thank you for posting. But yea, I'm actually happy to hear that people were singing along. The lawn definitely didn't appreciate it as much. It's a shame, but that's kinda what the scene has become.
    I appreciate the support of my content. I was in the lawn in Hartford 2013 N2 and during seek up and spoon the lawn could care less especially spoon. Back of venue can definitely be larger numbers of casual fans. Heck even at gorge in the seating area a lady who had to be 40+ in 2019 asked me what song they were playing and I said "What Would You Say" lol. I was 28 thinking to myself she was old enough to be a teenager when the song was all over the radio and I was in preschool but i know the song and she doesn't lol.
    Old 07-19-2022, 09:01 AM   #15135
    MarvinBerry

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Is "you and me together, we can do anything" grammatically correct? Shouldn't it be "you and I"?
    MarvinBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2022, 09:21 AM   #15136
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think you're overthinking a lot of this. The song is popular and elicits a positive reaction, and that's why it's been played almost nonstop since he joined the band.
    Sure.

The song was barely touched outside of 2013 from 2009 to 2017. It's essentially back because of Buddy. It was never a "hit", but like many tunes got heavy rotation for a few years after it's release. I know the reaction, we've literally scene it most of the shows we've been to since 2018. A positive reaction doesn't make a song good, just like a negative reaction from some doesn't make a song bad.

Bayou is for me by far the single worst song in their catalog. I'd take a cover in its place every time...even Dave struggling through Sledge (which also gets way too much of a positive reaction live) like he did at SPAC in 2018.

But this conversation isn't going to change any minds, so cheers.
    Old 07-19-2022, 09:30 AM   #15137
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It definitely happens...

Fall 2018 at Capitol One Arena in DC.
    http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.aspx?id=453083570

Some guy was there with his daughter(s?) and other family/friends. At about 3/4 through the show he got pissed that they hadn't specifically played Billies. He told his group they were leaving...

He left (alone) and not only did they get to enjoy the rest of show, so did we as we no longer had to hear him complaining.

Not an amazing show, but I was hooked once they started YNK. The only negative for me was hearing 18 of the 20 songs over the next two nights in C-Ville (including 11 on N1).
    Old 07-19-2022, 09:48 AM   #15138
    bigeyedpigs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It definitely happens...

Fall 2018 at Capitol One Arena in DC.
    http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.aspx?id=453083570

Some guy was there with his daughter(s?) and other family/friends. At about 3/4 through the show he got pissed that they hadn't specifically played Billies. He told his group they were leaving...

He left (alone) and not only did they get to enjoy the rest of show, so did we as we no longer had to hear him complaining.

Not an amazing show, but I was hooked once they started YNK. The only negative for me was hearing 18 of the 20 songs over the next two nights in C-Ville (including 11 on N1).
    Yeah I was just thinking, it must happen. I remember years ago bringing a friend to her first show and at the encore break she asked, " are they gonna play crash now". She did say she enjoyed the show, but crash was never played. They may have only played two songs she recognized. Im just thinking with all of our gripes, casual fans may have it a bit worse.
    Old 07-19-2022, 09:56 AM   #15139
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah I was just thinking, it must happen. I remember years ago bringing a friend to her first show and at the encore break she asked, " are they gonna play crash now". She did say she enjoyed the show, but crash was never played. They may have only played two songs she recognized. Im just thinking with all of our gripes, casual fans may have it a bit worse.
    Yup that where stuff like Grey Street, Ants, Warehouse, #41, triplets, etc all safe bets that will always be mainstays in any tour as it generally pleases both groups. Most tours people have accepted these songs in regular rotation, in '22 there have been calls to give some of these a rest from sets... Just terribly unreasonable expectations going around. Me personally, give me Warehouse literally every show I go to.

That being said for these songs getting played that much surprise me with where it might pop up in the set: open with it, close with it, put it in the encore, put it midset. This is where setlist variety is important to me and they have been doing a great job of it this year.
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2022, 10:04 AM   #15140
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Regarding the excitement over a song like Louisiana Bayou - casual fans and The Family are two very different things
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2022, 10:27 AM   #15141
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarvinBerry View Post
    Is "you and me together, we can do anything" grammatically correct? Shouldn't it be "you and I"?
    Not sure actually, ha. Dave definitely expresses his grasp of "Lay" vs "Lie" in lyrics though
    camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2022, 10:59 AM   #15142
    hopewelljones

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

This is a whacky take
    hopewelljones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2022, 11:12 AM   #15143
    monizzle145

My Tour Central Stats

Very cool to see Osiris Media dive into the live trax series. They had me as a guest today for the discussion of Live Trax 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCwm...el=OsirisMedia
    Old 07-19-2022, 11:32 AM   #15144
    BearambleAmble

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Very cool to see Osiris Media dive into the live trax series. They had me as a guest today for the discussion of Live Trax 10

Good stuff. I listen to these guys for Phish recaps and was pumped to see the crossover
    BearambleAmble is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2022, 12:58 PM   #15145
    JboDaveGuyYNK

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

This; to a tee.

Quote:

Good shit from what I've heard so far man. Always love that John Mayer quote. Looking forward to listening to more of this later.
    JboDaveGuyYNK is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2022, 02:19 PM   #15146
    bigeyedpigs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I was on Instagram live last night talking about that flip side of it. I have heard a few casual fans by me at 2-3 shows be a little shocked that they didn't play ants at a show or crash into me but I think that is a small minority. The other thing is I think many casual or first time live fans come expecting the big hit and end up being impressed by a cover like watchtower or now fool in the rain or sledgehammer (yeah i know i am sick of sledge too even as a huge PG fan).

But it does make for an interesting study to see how many casuals are upset they didn't get the hit song at a show. I went to see disturbed at Summerfest 2 days before alpine this year and if they didn't play "The Sickness" I would've been disappointed even though I love their deep cuts as well. Obviously they played their biggest song.
    Yeah that really would be an interesting study, im sure it does happen much more than our compliant.
    I love the Richard cheese cover of that, I use it as my alarm wake up, check it out if you haven't.
    Old 07-19-2022, 03:00 PM   #15147
    Erich
    Handsome & Genocidal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have heard a few casual fans by me at 2-3 shows be a little shocked that they didn't play ants at a show or crash into me but I think that is a small minority.
    I respectfully but completely disagree with this.

This has been said before by other people but I'm going to reiterate it: if you're on this forum, you're not a casual fan. I'm not talking about the uber fans that are on the forum that know every guitar Dave has played since Sigma Nu. I'm saying that, if you're a big enough fan to be on a message forum discussing DMB at any capacity, you're not the majority of people that see DMB in concert. I said this in another post about my experience at Boone, NC in '03: if you're taking a pee break during Tim's solo and miss Blue Water... you wouldn't have recognized the song anyway.

But DMB exists in a very unique place. What other band that has connections to the jam band scene also has such a huge radio presence? DMB is the only band in current history with 7 consecutive #1 billboard albums.

What I'm saying is that what you experienced is not a minority.

Quote:
    I love the Richard cheese cover of that, I use it as my alarm wake up, check it out if you haven't.
    Lounge Against the Machine was fantastic. I loved People = Shit, and his Gin and Juice cover had me in tears. "BI-YOTCH!"
    Old 07-19-2022, 03:19 PM   #15148
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

I think there's more diehards in the crowd than people realize. If you do the "hani hani" in Everyday or "Can't Help Falling In Love" during the Stone, odds are you've been to multiple shows in the past and have been following the band for years. And every venue those songs are played, it's pretty prominent.

I leave out the Warehouse "woos" because that's pretty easy to catch on to even if it's your first show, lol.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2022, 03:34 PM   #15149
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    I think there's more diehards in the crowd than people realize. If you do the "hani hani" in Everyday or "Can't Help Falling In Love" during the Stone, odds are you've been to multiple shows in the past and have been following the band for years. And every venue those songs are played, it's pretty prominent.

I leave out the Warehouse "woos" because that's pretty easy to catch on to even if it's your first show, lol.
    I think casual fans recognize Can't Help Falling In Love and get caught up singing it too..
    Old 07-19-2022, 03:41 PM   #15150
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Not to mention there could be a sizable portion of the hardcores that refuse to come here (The Family). I probably know one fellow hardcore that doesn't come here.