The Gorge 2012 - Page 105 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #3121
drue22

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Gorge 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelpingMarcher View Post
Hello all of my friends!!

I've been a lurker of this forum for a while and appreciate all the info being passed around! Sorry if there has already been a similar set of questions asked, I did some digging around beforehand but didn't see these answered.

I've never even been to Washington, and I cannot freaking wait for my first trip this summer! I feel like my life is about to change! That being said, I have some Q's, if the mighty fine Marchers have a second to help!

1) I have 2 tickets to section 202 and 1 for GA on Friday night. Thoughts on the positives/negatives to sitting in 202 vs. GA?

1B) Do you think they would allow me to sit GA with my 202 tickets so I don't separate from the group?

2) We are staying at the Econolodge in Wenatchee...how'd we do?

3) I have heard that the preferred parking pass is definitely worth it. Ya think so?

4) People are allowed to bring in coolers? Is that correct? Does it matter if they have alcohol or is only water allowed?

5) I read photography is not allowed...is that really true?? I mainly just wanted to take pictures of the surroundings.

6) So the concert starts at 6:00...which means DMB is usually about 7:30-10?

6B) Should we be aiming to arrive super early for GA in order to get closer, or is there ample room?

Thanks...sorry I know that is a lot - but I know it's not a the first rodeo for a lot of people on here - I am coming all the way from Florida!

Can't wait for the epicness!
1) 202 is on the floor, with folding chairs- good view of stage, not so much of the Gorge. GA is a grass hill, gets pretty crowded and people will stake a claim early!
b) yes, no problem there, there is full access to GA, need your ticket to get down to the seats.
2) camping for me is as important as seeing the show, if you're not campers though it should be alright(can't say I've ever stayed at an econo, but I would expect it to be pretty standard) Wenatchee is a decent town with a downtown area- Pizza at Mglinns (sp) is great!!
3) not exactly sure, I always camp and walk- I think the advantage is really just to ease exit..? But it's usually a cluster fuck anyway. If you wait a half hour or so it makes a huge difference.
4) no coolers that I'm aware of, at least not with beverages... I always bring my own food in without a problem, but you can only bring empty bottles to fill with water inside the venue.
5) doesn't every event venue (music,sports,etc) usually say no photography? Don't worry, plenty of pictures being taken, and the scenery is absolutely worth it!
6)seems like they usually wait until it's totally dark (9:30ish), unless Dave wants to catch the sunset a la The Gorge, live release.
b) see 1

Good luck with your travels! I'm a WA native so feel free to inquire more.
-Shoreline [2012] Hollywood Bowl-
drue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #3122
    kimberleec036

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Hey All! I'm making my first trip to the Gorge this year and had a quick question for the experts! I saw on their website that they warn of "extreme" weather conditions (i.e. super hot during the day and cold at night)... whats best to wear for the shows? How cold does it get by the time the band comes on? I live in Atlanta where the weather is only hot or hotter...so I was wonder what exactly "extreme" was. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Can't wait to see y'all out there.
    kimberleec036 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #3123
    bigbird321
    SuperFreak

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Morning Gorge! Enjoy the holiday!

Music is love
    My Shows
    bigbird321 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #3124
    YelpingMarcher

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drue22 View Post
    1) 202 is on the floor, with folding chairs- good view of stage, not so much of the Gorge. GA is a grass hill, gets pretty crowded and people will stake a claim early!
    b) yes, no problem there, there is full access to GA, need your ticket to get down to the seats.
    2) camping for me is as important as seeing the show, if you're not campers though it should be alright(can't say I've ever stayed at an econo, but I would expect it to be pretty standard) Wenatchee is a decent town with a downtown area- Pizza at Mglinns (sp) is great!!
    3) not exactly sure, I always camp and walk- I think the advantage is really just to ease exit..? But it's usually a cluster fuck anyway. If you wait a half hour or so it makes a huge difference.
    4) no coolers that I'm aware of, at least not with beverages... I always bring my own food in without a problem, but you can only bring empty bottles to fill with water inside the venue.
    5) doesn't every event venue (music,sports,etc) usually say no photography? Don't worry, plenty of pictures being taken, and the scenery is absolutely worth it!
    6)seems like they usually wait until it's totally dark (9:30ish), unless Dave wants to catch the sunset a la The Gorge, live release.
    b) see 1

Good luck with your travels! I'm a WA native so feel free to inquire more.
    Thank you so much!! I am totally going to take you up on the offer to further inquire now!

1) What do you think of the sound quality in GA vs the seats?

2) Not really a question here - just wanted to point out that camping seemed like too tough a task. It's a group of 5 of us, traveling from Tampa, Houston and Denver. None of us are really "camp-savvy" nor do we have any equipment. I thought camping would be cool, but it just didn't seem worth renting tents and messing with all of that. I pretty much know what we are getting with Econolodge, I was more asking about Wenatchee

3) Cool...if anyone else has advice about VIP Parking, definitely let me know!

4) Interesting, I thought I read people saying coolers were ok. I am probably just going to call the venue and ask to make sure. So they have plenty of cold water fountains to fill-up with?

5) Well I figured that the reason there weren't many different pictures of the Gorge on Google Image was because they had strict rules haha.

6) Wow 9:30 start huh? That's crazy. What do you think is a safe time is to show up and get a decent spot on the hill?

7) The poster below you asked about the weather, which is what I forgot to ask- what should be prepare for? Here in Florida it would be blistering hot, humid, disgusting and uncomfortable.

Thanks again for your or anyone else's time to help out a newbie with his first trip to paradise!!
    YelpingMarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #3125
    russvodder
    Surfing for Aliens

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thank you so much!! I am totally going to take you up on the offer to further inquire now!

2) Not really a question here - just wanted to point out that camping seemed like too tough a task. It's a group of 5 of us, traveling from Tampa, Houston and Denver. None of us are really "camp-savvy" nor do we have any equipment. I thought camping would be cool, but it just didn't seem worth renting tents and messing with all of that. I pretty much know what we are getting with Econolodge, I was more asking about Wenatchee

3) Cool...if anyone else has advice about VIP Parking, definitely let me know!

4) Interesting, I thought I read people saying coolers were ok. I am probably just going to call the venue and ask to make sure. So they have plenty of cold water fountains to fill-up with?

5) Well I figured that the reason there weren't many different pictures of the Gorge on Google Image was because they had strict rules haha.

6) Wow 9:30 start huh? That's crazy. What do you think is a safe time is to show up and get a decent spot on the hill?

7) The poster below you asked about the weather, which is what I forgot to ask- what should be prepare for? Here in Florida it would be blistering hot, humid, disgusting and uncomfortable.

Thanks again for your or anyone else's time to help out a newbie with his first trip to paradise!!
    1) Sound is great from the lawn. Word around here is that it has one of the best sounding lawns on the circuit.

2) Camping is not for everyone. Your option would have been renting an RV, but that is going to set you back a few $$$

3) I RV in Premier so I can help with VIP parking, sorry.

4) Don't think hard sided coolers are okay but maybe softpack. Definitely check into that one. No open containers and only 2 liters of factory sealed water. There are placed to fill water bottles inside.

5) I see cameras inside but don't know the "official" rules.

6) Decent spots on the lawn are a plenty but it is rather slopped. There are level terraced spaced at the bottom of the lawn and they will fill up fast. Sunday will be an earlier start time, too.

7) Weather? Can get in the 90's easy during the day. Nights can get down into the 40s. As any outdoor enthusiast will tell you, "Clothing in layers." That includes a wind/rain shell. It also can get windy.

8) You are going to have a AWESOME time!!!
    Old 05-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #3126
    mannotcaring

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Hi guys (and ladies)!

Me and two friends (all from austria) are going to the gorge this year and right now we´re planning the whole trip. I was wondering if there`s anybody here who´s driving from seattle to the gorge and could still need some company?

Also what´s the best way of going from seattle to the gorge in general? Renting a car would probably be the best option but it´s pretty expensive (also because we would drive down to sf after the weekend).

Another question:
    How much is camping per day (the cheapest option) and is it possible to just camp and not go to the shows?

Some help would be greatly appreciated!

jopra

Last edited by mannotcaring; 05-27-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    mannotcaring is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #3127
    jenzzjetII
    JAYSWFT

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

1) There really isn't a bad spot at the Gorge. The front of the lawn will get pretty full, but you can find nice open spots in the middle to the top with plenty of space to dance.

4) Last year the rules were a bit more relaxed on what you could bring into the venue because it was a caravan and many people were inside all day. I always bring an empty camel back and fill up inside the show. You can also bring snacks etc.. as long as they are in a clear ziploc bag.

5) Depends on who is checking your bags on entry, but point and shoot cameras usually aren't a problem.

6) Show doesn't start as late as 9:30. The boys go on between 8:30 and 9:00.

7) The Gorge is in the desert so as others have said you can have really high temps (90's and up to low 100's) during the day with very cool nights. The wind can also really pick up at night. Layers are your best bet. Also bring a cheap rain poncho because it has been known to rain. My friends and I tend to throw a hoody, beanie and gloves into our backpacks for the show just in case it gets really cold. 2010 was chilly at the shows.

Also the humidity is quite low compared to the southeast so make sure you drink lots of water and bring the sunscreen.

Gorge FAQ
    jenzzjetII is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #3128
    Crash1983
    2017 Setlist Game Champ

Shows Seen: 93

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

haven't been posting a lot in this thread, but thanks for everyone for answering all these question its helping all of us first timers understand more what to expect! I am so excited to get out there, i am sure i will have questions as the time gets closer! hope everyone is enjoying their holiday weekend.
    Old 05-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #3129
    jenzzjetII
    JAYSWFT

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crash1983 View Post
    haven't been posting a lot in this thread, but thanks for everyone for answering all these question its helping all of us first timers understand more what to expect! I am so excited to get out there, i am sure i will have questions as the time gets closer! hope everyone is enjoying their holiday weekend.
    Welcome! Heaven's Amphitheater is amazing. You will find yourself hooked. I have been going to the Gorge since '99, missed '07 and '08, but come hell or high water won't miss it again.

Gorge FAQ
    jenzzjetII is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #3130
    drue22

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Looks like things got pretty well covered... I won't be redundant. But feel free to ask or get more clarification.

Camping is like $90/car for the whole weekend... Rules say no camping without a ticket, but I don't know how the hell they can enforce that, plenty of people show up just trying to score tickets when they show up.

Can't wait to see the gorge and all the wonderful people!!
    -Shoreline [2012] Hollywood Bowl-
    drue22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #3131
    snowake
    Director of Fun

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drue22 View Post
    Looks like things got pretty well covered... I won't be redundant. But feel free to ask or get more clarification.

Camping is like $90/car for the whole weekend... Rules say no camping without a ticket, but I don't know how the hell they can enforce that, plenty of people show up just trying to score tickets when they show up.

Can't wait to see the gorge and all the wonderful people!!
    They sell general admission camping at the gate. Otherwise, they take the pre-paid ticket for camping from you at the gate. That's how they enforce it. Since general camping doesn't sell out, they are able to just let you pay on arrival.
    snowake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #3132
    snowake
    Director of Fun

My Tour Central Stats

Well you guys, I finally got the framed posters from N2 and N3 up on the wall. I framed them the week we got home and then they've been there until now. Man, am I a slacker. But now the wall is ready for posters from this year!!
    Old 05-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #3133
    kimberleec036

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crash1983 View Post

agreed...cannot wait to get out there!! Appreciate the tips/help...thanks guys!
    kimberleec036 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #3134
    mattrhat

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Went to N2 in Hartford last Saturday. It was so amazing! Such a fantastic set and it is my home venue. I have to say the Gorge has a special feel to it and I am even more excited for Labor Day weekend now, if that is possible!
    Hollywood Bowl 2012
    mattrhat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #3135
    snowake
    Director of Fun

My Tour Central Stats

It's been previously mentioned here that as a result of Washington's initiative 1183, you will be able to buy liquor at Fred Meyer or Safeway when making the pilgrimage to Heaven's Ampitheater this summer. This is convenient and all, but I want to warn you of the taxes that will be coming with it: http://m.thenewstribune.com/newstrib...tguid=ESXYP8AQ

If at all possible, buy your liquor before coming into the state. You'll save money. And if you get me some I'll not only reimburse you but reward you with some very special treats. :wink
    Old 05-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #3136
    neoaddict
    Koozie Kween

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Consider me a traveling liquor store.
    Old 05-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #3137
    snowake
    Director of Fun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neoaddict View Post
    Consider me a traveling liquor store.
    Whitney, that's awesome!
    Old 05-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #3138
    neoaddict
    Koozie Kween

My Tour Central Stats

Place orders early, I'll deliver all the way from Wisconsin.
    It will be well-traveled booze.
    Old 05-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #3139
    neoaddict
    Koozie Kween

My Tour Central Stats

Keep in mind, this also includes New Glarus beer (if you've never had it, it's fab)
    Old 05-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #3140
    Aussiemetfan
    Gold Paint Huffer

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

this time in 3 months ill be packing my bags, and getting ready for the nasty nasty flight to the glorious usa. game time
    what? do you mean waking up spooning, crown and dr pepper on the drive to the show, the Bears Lair where I failed at life and dropped the c-word, almost getting kicked out with a rum and coke in hand or telling some chick to shut the fuck up?

yeah pretty good day
    Aussiemetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #3141
    paulg83
    Probably just rage

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Hey fellow Gorgers... What are the odds we can get a good concerted effort to get Last Stop played at The Gorge? I'm talking twitter campaign, chants, signs, any other novel ideas we can come up with together. I don't want to be annoying about it, but I'm sure we would all like to hear it. I know I'd definitely take it over another Halloween at this point. Any ideas?
    Old 05-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #3142
    knsp
    Mama J

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulg83 View Post
    Hey fellow Gorgers... What are the odds we can get a good concerted effort to get Last Stop played at The Gorge? I'm talking twitter campaign, chants, signs, any other novel ideas we can come up with together. I don't want to be annoying about it, but I'm sure we would all like to hear it. I know I'd definitely take it over another Halloween at this point. Any ideas?
    You have my support there...I am really feeling a last stop or a minarets for my maiden voyage to the Gorge.
    knsp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #3143
    knsp
    Mama J

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aussiemetfan View Post
    this time in 3 months ill be packing my bags, and getting ready for the nasty nasty flight to the glorious usa. game time
    Hey, it will be good to see you again! Josh and I met you at the '08 SPAC show of epic proportions, and crashed at the same pad....Safe travels!!
    knsp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #3144
    ZMB
    Steady As I Go

Shows Seen: 73

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Have a GORGEous Tuesday you GORGEous people. 94 days!!!!
    ZMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #3145
    YelpingMarcher

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by russvodder View Post
    1) Sound is great from the lawn. Word around here is that it has one of the best sounding lawns on the circuit.

2) Camping is not for everyone. Your option would have been renting an RV, but that is going to set you back a few $$$

3) I RV in Premier so I can help with VIP parking, sorry.

4) Don't think hard sided coolers are okay but maybe softpack. Definitely check into that one. No open containers and only 2 liters of factory sealed water. There are placed to fill water bottles inside.

5) I see cameras inside but don't know the "official" rules.

6) Decent spots on the lawn are a plenty but it is rather slopped. There are level terraced spaced at the bottom of the lawn and they will fill up fast. Sunday will be an earlier start time, too.

7) Weather? Can get in the 90's easy during the day. Nights can get down into the 40s. As any outdoor enthusiast will tell you, "Clothing in layers." That includes a wind/rain shell. It also can get windy.

8) You are going to have a AWESOME time!!!
    Thank you so much!!
    Old 05-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #3146
    YelpingMarcher

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenzzjetII View Post
    1) There really isn't a bad spot at the Gorge. The front of the lawn will get pretty full, but you can find nice open spots in the middle to the top with plenty of space to dance.

4) Last year the rules were a bit more relaxed on what you could bring into the venue because it was a caravan and many people were inside all day. I always bring an empty camel back and fill up inside the show. You can also bring snacks etc.. as long as they are in a clear ziploc bag.

5) Depends on who is checking your bags on entry, but point and shoot cameras usually aren't a problem.

6) Show doesn't start as late as 9:30. The boys go on between 8:30 and 9:00.

7) The Gorge is in the desert so as others have said you can have really high temps (90's and up to low 100's) during the day with very cool nights. The wind can also really pick up at night. Layers are your best bet. Also bring a cheap rain poncho because it has been known to rain. My friends and I tend to throw a hoody, beanie and gloves into our backpacks for the show just in case it gets really cold. 2010 was chilly at the shows.

Also the humidity is quite low compared to the southeast so make sure you drink lots of water and bring the sunscreen.
    You my friend...are awesome!
    Old 05-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #3147
    Steady37
    Embrace Change

Shows Seen: 46

My Tour Central Stats

morning gorge. happy...tuesday!

PLEASE DON'T SHOP AT WALMART.
    DO NOT BUY CHEAP STYROFOAM COOLERS THAT KILL THE PLANET AND MELT YOUR ICE.
    THANK YOU.

Commissioner of Broken Promises
    GORGE FAQ
    Steady37 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #3148
    mattrhat

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulg83 View Post
    I am 100% in. It is on my list of songs that I still need to hear. After 11 years finally got Dancing Nancies the other night. Now its time for Last Stop!
    Hollywood Bowl 2012
    mattrhat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #3149
    russvodder
    Surfing for Aliens

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steady37 View Post
    morning gorge. happy...tuesday!
    Mornin'. How was the coast this weekend?
    Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #3150
    Steady37
    Embrace Change

Shows Seen: 46

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by russvodder View Post
    Mornin'. How was the coast this weekend?
    Most excellent...also very challenging, muddy, and pain inducing

we BARELY made it around the first point with the tide Friday night...we knew we were pushing it, traffic sucked ass, and the sun was setting, tide was coming in, i got a little scared, we had to say "fuck it lets just get wet" at one point...there was water and sea foam you couldn't see through everywhere. stressful! (and i didn't have time to get my gloves out, so i got a nice palm slash on those rocks) but we made it, set up camp in jefferson cove in the dark...headed up the ladder in the morning (scary scary!) the trail was more than muddy, so glad we had our gators, much needed!

ended up at mosquito creek saturday night, didn't want to head all the way to toleak, since a group of 20+ frat boys passed us on the trail and that was where they were headed. we heard from another couple of guys on the trail that the frat guys had camped at the beach before the point the night before and were settting off fireworks evidently. we actually saw one or two being set off from where we camped at mosquito. we headed back to jefferson cove sunday morning, hung out there for the day, and hiked back out (at the right time for the tide) yesterday morning...

i'm sore in places i didn't know existed, and i fucked my shoulders up pretty good...they were sore to begin with and then one wrong oomph on the rocks on the way out tweaked my right one something awful.

but, all in all, a good time. got to watch lots of bald eagles, mommas with their juveniles, which was way cool, saw an otter that had a staring contest with us monday morning, and lots of little critter tracks along the beach.

eta: the weather was great too, only rained sunday night while we were sleeping, and other than that just overcast, but not too cold. only good sunset was friday, and we couldn't really enjoy that one since we were scrambling over rocks.

PLEASE DON'T SHOP AT WALMART.
    DO NOT BUY CHEAP STYROFOAM COOLERS THAT KILL THE PLANET AND MELT YOUR ICE.
    THANK YOU.

Commissioner of Broken Promises
    GORGE FAQ

Last edited by Steady37; 05-29-2012 at 08:33 AM.
    Steady37 is offline   Reply With Quote