DMB is Way Too Cool For Their Fanbase - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 11-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #91
TimHonks

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB is Way Too Cool For Their Fanbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
I'm not really arguing with you, but I do wish DMB had SBD recordings of every show for sale. I'd love to re-live my first show with a SBD copy. Same with a few others that I've been to. Tapes are great, but when some of the shows you went to have 20 to 16 year old tapes, they're not as up to par with what we have now.
If your first Phish show was the same time as your first DMB show you wouldn't have access to that either

But whatever, Phish is great at being Phish. I'm happy with DMB being DMB, but it's fine that many have moved on. There are plenty of 1.0 phans that have moved on as well.
TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #92
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimHonks View Post
    If your first Phish show was the same time as your first DMB show you wouldn't have access to that either

But whatever, Phish is great at being Phish. I'm happy with DMB being DMB, but it's fine that many have moved on. There are plenty of 1.0 phans that have moved on as well.
    This. So much this.

People who want DMB to be Phish or do shit that they just don't do are kidding themselves. It is what it is.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #93
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Uh yeah he plays the songs he feels like playing, makes sense, especially from a performance standpoint
    Yeah, right, I'm not disagreeing with you or your opinion... all I'm saying is that he's constantly saying he really doesn't give a fuck.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-02-2018, 11:45 AM   #94
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimHonks View Post

This is true. And your second sentence is pretty spot on.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #95
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Yeah, right, I'm not disagreeing with you or your opinion... all I'm saying is that he's constantly saying he really doesn't give a fuck.

From what I see he cares about writing music he is proud of, working with Raab to be as strong as he can be vocally, connecting with charities and causes he is passionate about, and touring constantly including occasional fun stuff for fans like Mexico. He took fan requests at SPAC, Farm Aid, I'm sure others we don't know about. I was kind of down on DMB for a while but he has tried to make changes to the sound of the band which I like for the most part and although I miss the darker music I think his songwriting has gotten a little better recently with songs like Here on Out. He does care about the whole thing in general, just not going to appease everyone's individual request at the expense of the group performing to the best of their ability. They could take more chances.
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #96
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I dont want dmb to do phish stuff. I want dmb to play their higher quality songs, and the occasional special or different show would go a long way to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #97
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    From what I see he cares about writing music he is proud of, working with Raab to be as strong as he can be vocally, connecting with charities and causes he is passionate about, and touring constantly including occasional fun stuff for fans like Mexico. He took fan requests at SPAC, Farm Aid, I'm sure others we don't know about. I was kind of down on DMB for a while but he has tried to make changes to the sound of the band which I like for the most part and although I miss the darker music I think his songwriting has gotten a little better recently with songs like Here on Out. He does care about the whole thing in general, just not going to appease everyone's individual request at the expense of the group performing to the best of their ability. They could take more chances.
    If im going to boil my feelings down to one sentence, this would be it. They just seem too content going through the motions. And like I said before I think the overly long, strenuous touring schedules they do has a lot to do with that.

Quote:
    Old 11-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #98
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    I dont want dmb to do phish stuff. I want dmb to play their higher quality songs, and the occasional special or different show would go a long way to me.
    This right here.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #99
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They could take more chances.
    Pretty much what everyone from the opposing viewpoint has said from the start in this thread.

Someone said "I don't want DMB to do Phish things" or whatever, and I agree. Idc if DMB plays some Halloween show or has a festival etc. The caravans seemed cool though and that would be cool to see again. I'm not saying that Dave doesn't do good things and doesn't try at all, but there's a level of dedication and time put into one's craft and put towards pushing the envelope and I think thats a fair critique of one band vs the other.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-03-2018, 12:03 PM   #100
    rhizingbines

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
    This is perfect

Btw, I've only been to 1 Phish show but DMB crowds def seem way more high strung.
    The Live Nation security guard at Tampa told me that the entire staff dreads DMB shows because they get a bunch of housewives coming up to them telling them how to do their jobs.
    rhizingbines is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #101
    rhizingbines

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

And as for Phish. I’ve tried but I just can’t get into the music. Trey’s voice and lyrics are like nails on a chalkboard for me. Yesterday, Sirius played some song from their Halloween show and they just kept repeating some line about going to space or something. I couldn’t take it anymore and had to change the station. Never been to a show (though I’ve seen Trey perform at a festival) so maybe there’s something I’m missing. But I’ve tried (and will keep trying) but I just don’t get it.
    rhizingbines is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-04-2018, 04:26 AM   #102
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is where I'm at. I don't see why they wouldn't do more shows like Hartford 10 and throw unexpected songs out there or do another everyday>Halloween once in awhile.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-04-2018, 09:11 AM   #103
    chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhizingbines View Post
    And as for Phish. I’ve tried but I just can’t get into the music. Trey’s voice and lyrics are like nails on a chalkboard for me. Yesterday, Sirius played some song from their Halloween show and they just kept repeating some line about going to space or something. I couldn’t take it anymore and had to change the station. Never been to a show (though I’ve seen Trey perform at a festival) so maybe there’s something I’m missing. But I’ve tried (and will keep trying) but I just don’t get it.
    I think that song you're referring to is "Say it to me S.A.N.T.O.S" and I would personally take that with a grain of salt when considering Phish music.
    chrisjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #104
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisjuniper View Post
    I think that song you're referring to is "Say it to me S.A.N.T.O.S" and I would personally take that with a grain of salt when considering Phish music.
    So you're saying it's like DMB's Hunger? I'm with rhizing, can't get into them no matter how many songs I've listened to. Drummer looks stupid out on stage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Old 11-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #105
    chrisjuniper

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    So you're saying it's like DMB's Hunger? I'm with rhizing, can't get into them no matter how many songs I've listened to. Drummer looks stupid out on stage.

It was a song written to be a part of their Halloween "gag" where they pretended to cover a foreign band that didn't exist that Phish also made up. They wrote the entire set of songs for the made-up band specifically for the Halloween show. That being said, I totally understand people who "can't get into" Phish, same thing with people who can't get into DMB. As far as Fishman's dress, lol yeah it's silly, but he can drum with the best of em.
    Old 11-04-2018, 09:34 AM   #106
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It was a song written to be a part of their Halloween "gag" where they pretended to cover a foreign band that didn't exist that Phish also made up. They wrote the entire set of songs for the made-up band specifically for the Halloween show. That being said, I totally understand people who "can't get into" Phish, same thing with people who can't get into DMB. As far as Fishman's dress, lol yeah it's silly, but he can drum with the best of em.
    Right, I'm the one that posted the article above on the Halloween show. I agree with you...the whole 'not being able to get into Phish thing' helps me understand and empathize with those who hate DMB (to each their own). I realize they have a large fan base and many post here how 'great' they are. I don't doubt he's a very good drummer....assuming so, he doesn't need a gimmick.
    Old 11-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #107
    chrisjuniper

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    Right, I'm the one that posted the article above on the Halloween show. I agree with you...the whole 'not being able to get into Phish thing' helps me understand and empathize with those who hate DMB (to each their own). I realize they have a large fan base and many post here how 'great' they are. I don't doubt he's a very good drummer....assuming so, he doesn't need a gimmick.
    I don't know that I'd call it a "gimmick" per say. They all just like to have fun on stage.

"I remember I just tried it on, stood in front of the mirror, laughed, and thought I looked like Barney Rubble or something. Then I wore it that night onstage for a joke. ... And I just wore it every night for the next 15 years." -- Fishman, as quoted in the July 2000 Spin, p. 113
    Old 11-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #108
    chrisjuniper

My Tour Central Stats

I will say I don't find it very surprising when a DMB fan doesn't like Phish or vice versa. They're very different genres of music IMO.
    Old 11-04-2018, 09:44 AM   #109
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't know that I'd call it a "gimmick" per say. They all just like to have fun on stage.

"I remember I just tried it on, stood in front of the mirror, laughed, and thought I looked like Barney Rubble or something. Then I wore it that night onstage for a joke. ... And I just wore it every night for the next 15 years." -- Fishman, as quoted in the July 2000 Spin, p. 113
    Fair enough....I don't want to personify the title of this thread.

Quote:
    I will say I don't find it very surprising when a DMB fan doesn't like Phish or vice versa. They're very different genres of music IMO.
    That probably explains it!
    Old 11-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #110
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

This thread should be titled DMB Doesn't Do Anything Cool For Their Fanbase
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #111
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Ummm...how many times does Dave literally have to say “I don’t care” for you to believe him?
    adding this to my sig lol
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #112
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by berman1125 View Post
    adding this to my sig lol
    He definitely says that on Jimi (I think it's actually part of the official lyrics now ), but it was discussed here that this summer he actually took fan suggestions...case in point, Heart Break Kid Tony's Pig hat at SPAC. The bigger issue is they rarely vary from their setlist formula...meaning doing things that are creative, exciting and different, much like (as an example) the Phish Halloween show mentioned.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:44 AM   #113
    gia_rootdivine
    our sacred dances true

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I think it is possible that going into both the rest of this year, and next year's tour, there will either very soon or eventually/gradually be some very welcome changes!!

Buddy has freed them both in ways that we could guess and interpret from what we have heard so far, and, ways that will be evident over the next several years!
    gia_rootdivine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #114
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Just play better sets
    Old 11-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #115
    canes101190
    No Worries

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is literally what people mean when they say "DMB should do more Phish stuff."
    canes101190 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #116
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

One could argue that most creative artists are way too cool for those that appreciate their art...even those studied and knowledgeable in the given realm of artistic expression. Similarly, obsessive fan-bases are often creepy and entitled.

I don't think DMB fans are any worse overall and outwardly than any other fans. Based on these and other DMB related forums, however, they/we are often quite shitty/douchey to each other...
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #117
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I have tried listening/getting into Phish more times than I can count and I just can't for some reason. DMB is my all time favorite band, I have listened to them everyday for over 20 years. That being said, DMB is not as good as they used to be, I would kill for Dave to mix up his setlists the way Phish does, and Dave truly does have the worst taste in his own music.

Does that mean I don't love DMB? Fudge knuckles no, I will take whatever form they are willing to give us for as long as they are willing to keep playing. But that doesn't mean I can't recognize that the current line up, style, and minute setlists doesn't make me 100% happy either.

There are so many little changes that could be made that would make fans happy but doing that doesn't seem to be a top priority for the band. Such is life.
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #118
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhizingbines View Post
    The Live Nation security guard at Tampa told me that the entire staff dreads DMB shows because they get a bunch of housewives coming up to them telling them how to do their jobs.
    I could see that. The fans I was around this year were either amazing or just pure douche nozzles, there was no in between. There were so many ppl that acted live Dave was there for them only and the rest of the people were ruining their one on one experience.
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #119
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by canes101190 View Post
    This is literally what people mean when they say "DMB should do more Phish stuff."
    no, not at all actually.

Quote:
    Old 11-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #120
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:

what phish did on halloween is amazing

the fact that they still care and are out there creating new music for one night is so great

that's pure effort

dmb hasn't ever touched the amount of effort of creativity..

in the present state, i'd say they are 10% there

Quote:
    agree and disagree

i was all in on dmb forever, that has soured in last 7+ years

i still like listening to them

phish was a big part of the downfall tho

my worst phish show is close to on par with a top quartile dmb show...

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote