6. Idea of You (4:44) - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #61
thehomebrew

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 6. Idea of You (4:44)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unedited View Post
They say the drumming pattern on the chorus sounds like the drums on Clocks by Coldplay
oh, okay, thanks.
thehomebrew is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #62
    joshg

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Whatever. We got a studio cut of an '06 song. Be happy.
    joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #63
    currupt3d**

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshg View Post
    What does the g stand for? Gangsta?
    currupt3d** is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #64
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'd be happy if the studio cut was better than mediocre. After waiting 12 years, we ended up with this?

Very disappointing.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 02:45 PM   #65
    currupt3d**

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

This could have benefited from better production to say the least. Just doesn't have enough push.

Still nice to have it on the album however.
    currupt3d** is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 03:01 PM   #66
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by currupt3d** View Post
    This could have benefited from better production to say the least. Just doesn't have enough push.

Still nice to have it on the album however.
    It's nice, in the sense that it's an "official" song now, and not just a live release. But other than that, I could take it or leave it. I'd rather have a well produced song than something less than that.
    Old 06-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #67
    drewjg41

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

This should have been one of the better songs on the album and Carter + Batson's production ruined it.
    drewjg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #68
    bluewaterpig

Shows Seen: 42

My Tour Central Stats

I personally love the live intro. I think they did this to show how aware they are that IOY is forever going to be looked at as a live song that they just happened to put on an album after playing it for 12 years.

My only complaint is Dave’s shaky lyrics. It sounds like he made them up on the spot. I know he does this pretty much every time live, but I would’ve liked some more solid, definitive lyrics. Even the “you pick me up, you brush me off, I grin” sounds like he improvised it at the recording. There’s no definitive melody in the verses.

I LOVE how during the chorus, Carter starts playing the old pattern for the first few beats and then goes into the Clocks pattern after a short delay.

Overall, I like it.

Last edited by bluewaterpig; 06-07-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    bluewaterpig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #69
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Be happy? I mean I enjoy it but who are you?
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #70
    bluewaterpig

Shows Seen: 42

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by treyt42754 View Post
    Posted in the album discussion thread but I'll say it again, I can't imagine having the ears that can listen to the clocks drumming on this song and hear it as the same tune. It absolutely ruins the entire feel of this tune. Such a shame and such a dumbass move by Carter. This is once again the obvious where no one in the band is ok speaking up to each other about bad musical decisions.
    Why are you assuming that Carter just decided on that pattern all by himself, the other band members hate it, and everyone was afraid to speak up about it?

For all we know, Dave and Stefan asked Carter to go back to the Clocks pattern because they liked it more. We have no clue, but I’m pretty confident the core members aren’t afraid to voice their opinions in the studio.
    bluewaterpig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #71
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Be happy? I mean I enjoy it but who are you?
    I know what you're saying. Bitching about new material on a record is one thing though (much of said material is ripe). But when we get a studio cut of an exalted '04, '06, '07 song on the "dream list of unreleased material" and complaining ensues, that specific type of bitching seems excessive. At that point, it makes critical people on the boards turn into lampoonish, disgrunted fans who truly cannot be appeased with anything.
    Old 06-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #72
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drewjg41 View Post
    This should have been one of the better songs on the album and Carter + Batson's production ruined it.
    Nah it’s pretty stellar.
    Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #73
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I know what you're saying. Bitching about new material on a record is one thing though (much of said material is ripe). But when we get a studio cut of an exalted '04, '06, '07 song on the "dream list of unreleased material" and complaining ensues, that specific type of bitching seems excessive. At that point, it makes critical people on the boards turn into lampoonish, disgrunted fans who truly cannot be appeased with anything.
    Six years ago, they made a good album. They could have done that again; this band is better than the album they made and are releasing in a couple of hours.
    Old 06-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #74
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluewater21 View Post
    Nah it’s pretty stellar.
    Of course it is. They got Dave to record a small piece of his amazing, unrecorded, back-tour catalogue. Rejoice.

It shouldn't be this fuckin' hard though.
    Old 06-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #75
    TrueHoosier
    exactly what you need

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I really don’t get thempeole complaining about this song. It’s great. Listen to it as if you’ve never heard the song before and I guarantee you’ll like it.

My name is Adam
    TrueHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #76
    earl
    Midnight Toker

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Hilarious that people think they know drumming better than Carter, or songwriting/singing better than Dave. Everything on this album is the way it is because that is how the band wanted it.

Did it ever occur to you Carter may be intentionally going for a simpler sound?
    earl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #77
    mattinbeloit

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Wow, Batson just completely screwed this song up in my opinion. I'm bummed....
    mattinbeloit is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #78
    likeabeachball

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattinbeloit View Post
    Wow, Batson just completely screwed this song up in my opinion. I'm bummed....
    LeRoi really comes through, but they all sound like "dmb 2004"

It's like Batson brought the session masters along and just dumped them on the new album; Knocking Bismarck or Be Yourself out, and probably the only excuse why they're performing Stand Up this tour?

They left (this) Idea of You off the 2006 album for a reason!
    likeabeachball is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #79
    mattinbeloit

My Tour Central Stats

That part he plays on the Gryphon is such a strong and melodic part, and they broke it all up. That was my first complaint. The way they recorded Carter just sounds disjointed and hacked up. It sounds like they wore him out and did a million different takes while in completely different head spaces and then compiled some rediculously disjointed master take.
    Old 06-07-2018, 08:40 PM   #80
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

I'm listening to it now with a huge smile on my face, reading these comments, and it makes no sense to me. It sounds like 2004 DMB, it has 2004 DMB members....I really feel bad such nit picky nonsense can ruin something so awesome for a lot of you.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #81
    mattinbeloit

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    I'm listening to it now with a huge smile on my face, reading these comments, and it makes no sense to me. It sounds like 2004 DMB, it has 2004 DMB members....I really feel bad such nit picky nonsense can ruin something so awesome for a lot of you.
    I have to say this, I own a recording studio and have been doing this for a living for around 15 years now. So it's not ruined, but I probably listen to things a lot differently than most people. I'm not saying that to be braggadocios or anything. It's not like I have golden freaking ears and my opinion is any more valid than yours, all that just to say I'm listening to this differently more than likely.

I've thought about producing that song for like a decade now. I'm just shocked at how they went about doing the song as it seemed so strait forward to me, and this recording is anything but. Plus, I'm just not a fan of Batson's production style.

I could make a laundry list of issues I have with the way they did the song. If I had to sum it up, they tried way too hard in my opinion. It doesn't sound anything like the recording I have somewhere of the first time they played the song. It was perfect then in my opinion. I have constant battles with artists when they try to drag out production and songwriting, sometimes spanning over years. This just sounds like a classic case of them having too much time to mess with a song that was already strong to begin with.

Last edited by mattinbeloit; 06-07-2018 at 09:15 PM.
    Old 06-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #82
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have to say this, I own a recording studio and have been doing this for a living for around 15 years now. So it's not ruined, but I probably listen to things a lot differently than most people. I'm not saying that to be braggadocios or anything. It's not like I have golden freaking ears and my opinion is any more valid than yours, all that just to say I'm listening to this differently more than likely.

I've thought about producing that song for like a decade now. I'm just shocked at how they went about doing the song as it seemed so strait forward to me, and this recording is anything but. Plus, I'm just not a fan of Batson's production style.

I could make a laundry list of issues I have with the way they did the song. If I had to sum it up, they tried way too hard in my opinion. It doesn't sound anything like the recording I have somewhere of the first time they played the song. It was perfect then in my opinion. I have constant battles with artists when they try to drag out production and songwriting, sometimes spanning over years. This just sounds like a classic case of them having too much time to mess with a song that was already strong to begin with.
    But how do you know they just didnt dust off this 12 year old recording and make a few minor changes to it (the live intro for example) and release it? You obviously know a LOT more about the industry than I do, but I really dont think they've been messing with this recording on and off for 12 years.
    Quote:
    Old 06-07-2018, 09:27 PM   #83
    mattinbeloit

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    But how do you know they just didnt dust off this 12 year old recording and make a few minor changes to it (the live intro for example) and release it? You obviously know a LOT more about the industry than I do, but I really dont think they've been messing with this recording on and off for 12 years.
    I have no idea honestly. I wasn't trying to say they've been messing with the recording that long. I was more talking about the arrangement. It's changed a bit over the years, this album version (to me) sounds more like how they've been playing the song recently. Obviously they've got horn parts from Leroi, but as long as his part was recorded at a similar enough tempo, you can hack those parts up and throw them over a recording at any stage of the project.
    Old 06-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #84
    dmband414

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

anyone else think their apple music was f’ing up with the live intro?
    dmband414 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #85
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have no idea honestly. I wasn't trying to say they've been messing with the recording that long. I was more talking about the arrangement. It's changed a bit over the years, this album version (to me) sounds more like how they've been playing the song recently. Obviously they've got horn parts from Leroi, but as long as his part was recorded at a similar enough tempo, you can hack those parts up and throw them over a recording at any stage of the project.
    Dave's on Sirius breaking down every song and how they were recorded, I will post what he says about recording IoY...maybe it will shed a little light on what we're discussing
    Quote:
    Old 06-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #86
    mattinbeloit

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Dave's on Sirius breaking down every song and how they were recorded, I will post what he says about recording IoY...maybe it will shed a little light on what we're discussing
    Cool! If you see it posted somewhere, shoot a link. You don't get albums like this very often with so many different producers and different sounding recordings, it will be cool to hear everyone's thoughts.
    Old 06-07-2018, 09:51 PM   #87
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Cool! If you see it posted somewhere, shoot a link. You don't get albums like this very often with so many different producers and different sounding recordings, it will be cool to hear everyone's thoughts.
    Didnt mention much about the recording itself, more about Roi and the subject matter. There's a thread about this stream in DMBc if you want to join in
    Quote:
    Old 06-08-2018, 12:07 AM   #88
    joshizzle3
    dj general

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I don't understand the tongue in cheek live crowd intro without any regard for making this studio cut stand out. Like "yes we are aware we have played this song over 100 times and everyone likes it but we are going to play basically a muddy uninteresting version that won't stand out to now be the definitive version"
    joshizzle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #89
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshizzle3 View Post
    I don't understand the tongue in cheek live crowd intro without any regard for making this studio cut stand out. Like "yes we are aware we have played this song over 100 times and everyone likes it but we are going to play basically a muddy uninteresting version that won't stand out to now be the definitive version"

I hope they make a single version, sans live intro

Although I think it's pretty cool on the album, I'd like to be able to listen to it without the intro if I just wanna pop that one song on with no context of the album.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2018, 12:30 AM   #90
    joshizzle3
    dj general

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    I hope they make a single version, sans live intro

Although I think it's pretty cool on the album, I'd like to be able to listen to it without the intro if I just wanna pop that one song on with no context of the album.
    at first i thought they were fucking with us and there's still no studio cut they just dropped a live track in the middle of an album
    joshizzle3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    come tomorrow , dmb2018 , idea of you , new album