Jones Beach N2 Review - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion > Just Got Back From The Show!
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
2step11

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Jones Beach N2 Review

Great show all around last night at Jones beach. Little background on my DMB experience – back in high school / college loved DMB. I thought the music suffered a lot once Leroi passed and Butch moved on.

It started raining about 15 minutes before the show and cleared up right as the boys came on stage. In the parking lot I was asked for a opener call. For some reason I felt it was going to be Seek Up. I have multiple witnesses, I got it right.

SEEK UP – VERY well played, jammed out intro. Everything I could have asked for in an opener after not seeing the band for quite some time. Coffin impressed, and even though I’ll miss Leori on that particular song the most, he brought a new sound to the song, complemented with Rashawn, really kicked ass. About 20 min version. Needless to say I was very happy to start off the bat which is important in a DMB show.

PROUDEST MONKEY – Another one of my favorite oldies played well. Such a chill set so far, the rain started clearing up and the sky was really nice for this tune. Once again Coffin impressed and Tim came in with some sweet and soft guitar.

SATELLITE – Obviously knew this one was coning next, great tune to sing to. Enjoyed 3 oldies to kick off the show. Standard version but hadn’t listened to it in years and still knew all the words.

SEVEN – Bathroom song for me…not a huge fan of this one. Got back in time for them to close it, Dave seemed to really enjoy it. Just not my cup of tea personally.

SQUIRM – Never got into this song until I saw it live. Very powerful tune. Carter and Stefan got me into this one with the hard playing and the Chorus is good.

TRIPPING BILLIES – Heard the nature intro and was very surprised to get this so early. Very standard version but this song is always kick ass. One of my all time favorites played to the tee. Carter foreshadows his brilliance to come later in the show.

MERCY – When I first heard this song on the album, I was not a fan. I like the harder catchier songs (except I would freak out if they played Let You Down, what’s the deal with that never being played?) That being said they jammed this song out pretty well. Dave got on the piano and impressed me. Shockingly really enjoyed this tune.

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY – Another one of the staples didn’t fail to impress. Everyone was singing, brought the crowd back from the Mercy hypnosis and got the ball rolling into one of the coolest moments of the show…

DON’T FEAR THE REAPER – WOW. Didn’t see this one coming. I couldn’t help myself and scream out WE NEED MORE COWBELL. Got a good laugh from the people around me. This was really cool to hear, solid version.

YOU MIGHT DIE TRYING – Possibly the only song off Stand Up that I enjoy (RIP American Baby Intro). This song rocks. Especially the end. Horns section with the harmony in the end is magical and Dave really gets into this one.

GRAVEDIGGER – Didn’t know they play this tune full band. Carter started out with the drums and I called out Say Goodbye. The momentary sadness faded quickly. Really cool full band.

THE SONG THAT JANE LIKES – Quite possibly one of my favorite songs. I was shocked when he started his little, I got a little sister bit. Maybe I’m old school but I was singing this one so loud, remembered all the words, not many people in my section knew it. WEIRD. But still loved this song. Two thumbs up for playing this tune.

LOUISIANA BAYOU – I could never get into this song. It’s not that its bad, because it’s not. Personally it’s not my cup of tea. Too bad there’s no booze at Jones, cigarette break for me.

THE BEST OF WHAT’S AROUND – Happy to hear this one, everyone was into it. Standard version, thought it would lead to something interesting. I didn’t.

THE RIFF – At a another place and time I could try this song again. But I probably won’t. I thought it sucked and killed the vibe from The Best Of What’s Around. Most people in the crowd sat down. Just a weak song in a pivotal slot. Typical Situation at DMB shows in this era?

SO MUCH TO SAY - If they had played a decent song before this, I think this whole closer could have FELT better. I got right back up because this groove is great but everyone else had a little trouble after The Riff. BY the end of the song people were getting back into it and it was a great version musically. Love singing this song. THEN

ANYONE SEEN THE BRIDGE- This jam always kicks ass. This one was no different. Cool stop time and 2001 teases. (Side bar – for all you Phish Phans out there, how cool would it be for DMB to come out and jam on 2001 with Phish!?, but I digress…)
TOO MUCH – Had a feeling they might do one of those fakes but they didn’t…
Solid version with a bit of an extended jam because it was the last song of the set. Good way to end the show.

ENCORE:

BLUE WATER – Some really funny Dave Banter about how he heard some guy scream make it quick I have to go to the bathroom. Dave came on stage and told us this then goes something along the lines of “We’re gonna drag this one out, nice and slow…” Funny stuff…then started blue water.
NO ONE in my knew the song except me... I impressed a few people

DRUNKEN SOLIDER – This is probably the best song Dave has written since the Busted Stuff songs. Thoroughly enjoyed this song, translates very well live and the end jam is stellar.

TWO STEP – Best song of the night hands down. The jam started off with Tim doing his thang. Marvelous. Then carter took shit over for about 7 minutes of pure awesomeness. Then the end jam just kept going and going. It was great.

OVERALL – I had heard the music is still great but the scene sucks. I agree and disagree. Yes young people like DMB and yes there are Frat bros and high school kids there. But there were certainly a lot of good phans there. The scene is definitely not what is used to be. But the music is still going strong.

My only complaint with the music is the flow of the set. The Riff placement was a buzz kill.

Until next time…
2step11 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
    chronicskier233

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Jones Beach N2 Review

nice writeup, the scene does suck and im 21 and in a fraternity, however, ive been to 16 shows and not all stereotypes fit the mold, its a shame that people dont invest to DMB as the past. Unreal to think that people don't know or like STJL & Blue water. Got my first STJL at DC N2 last year and almost had a heart attack, my first BOWA this year. 2 of my top 15 songs!