10KLF Review (my 12th show) - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

10KLF Review (my 12th show)

After a great but long weekend and poor planning immediately before we assumed the waiting position in the lower concert bowl @ 4:30(I was tired, hungry, thirsty, reaaaaally had to go to the bathroom, and had a headache), Umphrey's McGee put on a show that I loved. Here are my thoughts on DMB's set, song-by-song. I was directly in front of Rashawn, about 12 rows back.
Shake Me- I'm not huge on this song, but I do enjoy its horns and Carter's parts. It had a bit of an anthemic tone this evening. Everyone knew the lyrics. Fonz clearly enjoyed it.
Seek Up- For me, the concert really kicked into gear here. Jeff, Rashawn, and Carter were sensational.
[side note: I don't know if it was the very loud fans, bad acoustics, or bad audio mix, but waaaaayyy too often tonight I had a lot of trouble hearing a band member not named Carter or Dave. Really disappointing as the horns were just fantastic, as usual.
Squirm- great stuff. Jeff's part is so awesome.
Still Water- Carter had been having significant technical problems with something(s) on his kit, and it appeared Dave made an audible to play this with some help from Tim while the crew fixed the drum kit.
DDTW- The band was so pumped to play this. I remember thinking at this juncture, 'This is the band's 4th show in 5 days in 3 states?' The energy on this was great.
Spaceman- They're performing this so well, and tonight was no exception.
Cornbread- Admittedly I'm not a huge fan of this song. Tim's solo was really good though.
Jimi Thing- Jeff and Rashawn were amazing (again) here. When their solos started, Dave went far stage right to give them the entire spotlight. Their solos formed a great conversation, and when they crescendoed to Jeff's double sax and Rashawn's hand-muting, Dave was downright giddy. As was I.
Why I Am- "This one's for the Groogrux king"- Dave. Great version. Jeff was passionately singing along to this.
So Damn Lucky- Fun. Carter's drumming on this is beyond stellar.
LITHOG- Easily one of the best performances of the evening. Carter and Jeff went to another level.
Burning Down the House- They know their audience, and they knew that @ 10k many at the festival would be big jam band fans (and therefore big Talking Heads fans). Crowd loved it.
Gator Pie- Good stuff. Dave loved it. Boyd had a solo inbetween two of the verses. Love Carter's work on this.
Ants- Wonderful. Cool to see everyone but Boyd approach Carter during Boyd's solo in the outro as Carter gave out instructions.
PNP/Rapunzel- Believe it or not, I found Carter, Jeff, and Rashawn to be amazing here.
Two Step- Carter. End of story.
-------------------
You/Me- You know, I'm just not a big fan of this song. It was well-performed, but yeah.
Water/Wine- Brief.
Watchtower- This was my first time hearing Watchtower in 12 DMB shows. LOVED the Stairway interpolation, especially Dave and Rashawn's parts.

All in all, it was a fantastic show. I wish I had been feeling a bit better and I wish the venue's sound had been better, but of course those aren't DMB's fault. They brought their A game. Furthermore, I watched it with two of my dearest friends. I was very lucky on Saturday night.
bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here