** College Football Season ** - Page 4278 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #128311
ExistenceNow
AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ** College Football Season **

Yea, I definitely took your comment(s) further than you meant them. Of course I'd rather not have Bama and Clemson playing again this year. Just wouldn't change the format to remedy it (which you weren't implying.)

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #128312
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    This exact thing was talked about on local sports radio last week and I was thinking about it more
    I was recently thinking about college football, and you know what it needs? A 4 team playoff.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #128313
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushB610 View Post
    Not as if this is news to you but this is the way college football has always been.

Blue bloods own decades, sprinkle in a couple semi blue bloods teams every other year that have a chance of knocking them off, then those blue bloods return.
    Yeah I'm well aware. But when there is one team that is full on dominating every year it makes it even more hard for another of those one offs to make a run.

Again, I love college football. I would just love it even more if we saw some of those different teams win it more often. It's more entertaining to me to see those schools win. Probably because I know how much it means since my team isn't a blue blood.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #128314
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

I can't wait for Saban to move on and Bama's run to end, just so the field opens up.

Quote:
    Old 01-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #128315
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

My Tour Central Stats

Alabama is on a great run - one of the most historical ones - but it won't last forever. A USC, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Florida State, Ohio State or Clemson (or insert whomever) will get them soon.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #128316
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    Alabama is on a great run - one of the most historical ones - but it won't last forever. A USC, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Florida State, Ohio State or Clemson (or insert whomever) will get them soon.
    Someone may beat them, hell it might be Clemson tomorrow, but it won't end their reign. They have a vice grip on recruiting, they basically get their pick of any player in the country. It seems that way more now than ever before. They are an untouchable brand right now, they offer everything a kid could want that's going to play major D1 football. Until their sustained winning ways slow down that's not gonna stop, and I just don't see that happening until Saban leaves.

Quote:
    Old 01-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #128317
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Yeah I'm well aware. But when there is one team that is full on dominating every year it makes it even more hard for another of those one offs to make a run.

Again, I love college football. I would just love it even more if we saw some of those different teams win it more often. It's more entertaining to me to see those schools win. Probably because I know how much it means since my team isn't a blue blood.
    Last 2 sentences I can see how you get your point of view. That being said, if WVU had 1 loss maybe they would have been there. Not like Alabama being great affected that. Same goes for any of the non SEC schools.

Quote:
    This.

I just appreciate it for what it is and that programs don't go on great runs like this often so it's cool to be around for.
    Old 01-08-2017, 07:49 PM   #128318
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushB610 View Post
    Last 2 sentences I can see how you get your point of view. That being said, if WVU had 1 loss maybe they would have been there. Not like Alabama being great affected that. Same goes for any of the non SEC schools.

This.

I just appreciate it for what it is and that programs don't go on great runs like this often so it's cool to be around for.
    Bama being great does affect that though. They fill up 1 of 4 spots in the playoff every year that could go to another team.

Quote:
    Old 01-08-2017, 08:02 PM   #128319
    CrushB610

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Bama being great does affect that though. They fill up 1 of 4 spots in the playoff every year that could go to another team.
    3 other spots.. and they'll be years where Bama doesn't make it.
    Old 01-08-2017, 11:35 PM   #128320
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    College basketball has the same blue blood sect as football, they just have a tournament format that lets half the country in, and leads to random upsets. I'm sure some of you would love a 70 team college football playoff, but I think that's awful.
    D1 basketball has 347 teams, so its only 18% of the teams that make it to the tournament. its actually the lowest % of teams to make the post season is any sport besides CFB. the NFL is 37%, MLB is 30%, NHL and NBA are half the league.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Definitely this. Conferences aren't a closed system in college football.
    the problem i have with only 4 teams making the CFB playoffs is it doesn't really give every deserving team a shot to win. a team like PSU at least deserved the chance to see what they could do. maybe they weren't one of the best teams from start to finish, but they were clearly one of the best teams over the last 2 months of the season, and yes, they were much better than OSU during that time.

you say conference champs shouldn't get the right to play in the playoffs in CFB, yet it works for the NFL. teams play vastly different schedules and you'll have a team like the Texans that went 9-7 and won their division last year get in the playoff over a 10-6 Jets team that missed the playoffs because there were two other teams that got the wild card spots, which are other teams that didn't win their divisions.

so why would an 8 team playoff for CFB be that bad? you have 5 autos and 3 wild cards for the teams that are "better" but didn't win a conference. or just use the top 8 ranked teams if you'd really be that butthurt about a #17 conference champ getting in. but there are teams that clearly deserve a chance to play on. that gives a hot conference winner like PSU a spot and a "better" team like OSU a spot as well. wild cards work in every other sport, so why not CFB?

i believe it would actually help break up the dynasty runs because it would give other teams a legitimate shot at a national championship. if you take 8 teams, maybe the 3 or 4 are almost the same every year, but you'll get a bunch of others in there too. giving those other teams some exposure will help them get players to reach the level of the top teams, maybe steal a couple recruits away. it'll help bring some balance to the top of the rankings instead of it just being the same thing over and over.

Quote:
    it won't last forever, but unless there are some serious issues, it won't be that long of drought either. a "down" year for bama will be 9-3 and finishing second in their division while the team that wins their division would just have the stars aligning that their one great team in the last 10 years came when bama had one down year. that team wont be able to replicate those results the next year because they'll lose their big playmakers and won't have someone who could just step in and take over.
    Old 01-09-2017, 12:15 AM   #128321
    gocubsgo3822
    American #1

Shows Seen: 152

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

A down year for alabama is not winning a national title. Anything other than a national title is a failure. They are the Yankees without a luxury tax. If Alabama loses tomorrow the season was a failure and they choked. They should never ever lose.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection ™
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2017, 12:21 AM   #128322
    gocubsgo3822
    American #1

Shows Seen: 152

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Alabama has had the number one recruiting class according to rivals every year since 2008 except two times. Once in 2009 (5) and once in 2014 or 13 when they were second by a few points to Southern California. That is absurd. This isn't the pros where everyone is really really good. They cherry pick the best 25 guys that can play Every single year. The only thing stopping them is occasionally when the kicker (still not sure how he hasn't figured that out) has a meltdown or they run into Garcia, tebow, or cam newton. I think deshaun Watson is really a great college qb but he isn't one of those guys.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection ™
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2017, 02:08 AM   #128323
    iMAC386
    BOOMER!

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I set off this convo by asking when Bama's dynasty is going to end..it was just an exasperated post in response to what their recruiting class looks like again. Like GoCubs said, they've had the #1 class 7 out of last 8 years.

Bama's run since 2008 is unlike anything we've seen in any of our lives. Better than Carroll's USC 2001-2006. Better than OU 2000-2004. Better than UF 2006-2009. Better than FSU early 90s, late 90s.

Carroll's USC was the last time I felt like this..they were constantly getting the top recruiting class. They had location+facilities+best recruits+most successful teams. Thankfully their cheating ended the run otherwise they seemed untouchable for a while like Bama does now. As an opposing fan it gets tiring when one program has all the advantages.

Bama will lose games, but if their recruiting never slows down until Saban leaves then even you who think this dynasty is cool to watch will get bored.
    I dont know enough about recruiting in the 70s/80s/90s ('cept everyone was cheating), but it seems like there's less parity in recruiting in today's generation. In previous decades every team was dirty enough that you'd know a dynasty would eventually end/get busted.
    And the current system seems like it's gonna keep feeding Bama/Saban until he retires. It's frustrating looking at the landscape and seeing no end in sight to Bama's continued talent advantage.
    iMAC386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2017, 03:35 AM   #128324
    sully51
    Hook 'Em

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pearljammer View Post
    LOL you think Saban is the one that started that? And while you're explaining that, go ahead and post some of the things that Saban does that should be illegal instead of just implying that he's cheating. I'll hang up and listen...
    I think Saban is the first to have EIGHT football analysts. Look, the coaching staff is restricted for a reason. Most programs out there that can't afford to pay eight "analysts" to review tape and help strategize the game plan. I don't fault him for doing it, and I never said he was cheating. He exploits loopholes. He admits it. His position is "it's not illegal", which is fair. I am simply saying the NCAA should be more active in reviewing and closing such loopholes. I specifically said "add to his advantage" because I think he naturally has an advantage as a once-in-a-generation coach both x's and o's and in how he gets the team psychologically prepared to play each week. If he's not doing these things, maybe the results don't change at all, but at least the NCAA is doing what it can to enforce a level playing field.

Another tactic I would like to see reviewed is bringing ex players and having them suit up on the practice squad. Saban is on record saying he does this occasionally to represent dynamic opposing players better on the practice squad. That's not what the practice squad it meant to be. The regulations on ex-players are laughable when you think of them in this context. Clearly the NCAA just didn't want to prohibit them from being able to be around the team and university. I doubt anyone thought NFL players would put on pads and practice for a college at the time of writing those rules.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    the rich irony is that it's Aggie - home of Johnny Football is doing coke off of cheerleaders backs and we're looking the other way - talking about bending the rules

also at everyone who says they're tired of watching Alabama be good. I'm sure if West Virginia won 5/8 titles it would be better
    I'm not an Aggie. Further, I don't care that it's Alabama who is winning so much - my comment was specific to closing regulatory loopholes for a reason. I know Texas can keep up with any program from a resources standpoint, but there are programs out there that can't. Just commenting that the NCAA should be doing it's job better.
    Old 01-09-2017, 04:45 AM   #128325
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sully51 View Post
    I think Saban is the first to have EIGHT football analysts. Look, the coaching staff is restricted for a reason. Most programs out there that can't afford to pay eight "analysts" to review tape and help strategize the game plan. I don't fault him for doing it, and I never said he was cheating. He exploits loopholes. He admits it. His position is "it's not illegal", which is fair. I am simply saying the NCAA should be more active in reviewing and closing such loopholes. I specifically said "add to his advantage" because I think he naturally has an advantage as a once-in-a-generation coach both x's and o's and in how he gets the team psychologically prepared to play each week. If he's not doing these things, maybe the results don't change at all, but at least the NCAA is doing what it can to enforce a level playing field.

Another tactic I would like to see reviewed is bringing ex players and having them suit up on the practice squad. Saban is on record saying he does this occasionally to represent dynamic opposing players better on the practice squad. That's not what the practice squad it meant to be. The regulations on ex-players are laughable when you think of them in this context. Clearly the NCAA just didn't want to prohibit them from being able to be around the team and university. I doubt anyone thought NFL players would put on pads and practice for a college at the time of writing those rules.

I'm not an Aggie. Further, I don't care that it's Alabama who is winning so much - my comment was specific to closing regulatory loopholes for a reason. I know Texas can keep up with any program from a resources standpoint, but there are programs out there that can't. Just commenting that the NCAA should be doing it's job better.

so the NCAA should make sure that even though Alabama is following the rules and not breaking them they should not follow the rules so well because Texas has sucked at football for 7 years?

makes sense to me... #MakeTexasGreatAgain

Texas makes a big deal out of themselves for a program that has 1 national title in my lifetime, and I'm a hell of a lot older than pretty much everyone here.
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2017, 05:43 AM   #128326
    treytreyw222
    Come As Your Kids

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Saban will probably retire in 3-5 years. Until then Alabama will probably be in the playoff or close to it. The end is near
    will fucking smoke you
    treytreyw222 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #128327
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

The NCAA could also look into kids like Trent Richardson rolling around in Escalades in college when he didn't have two nickels to rub together in high school.
    mthawk07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2017, 06:19 AM   #128328
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
    The NCAA could also look into kids like Trent Richardson rolling around in Escalades in college when he didn't have two nickels to rub together in high school.
    why, though
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2017, 06:30 AM   #128329
    defcon
    :rattled

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Heard this on local radio, the Clemson Butthole song....starts 15 minutes in...
    http://www.933theplanetrocks.com/media/audio
    Old 01-09-2017, 07:01 AM   #128330
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I mean, if Clemson wins tonight, everyone will be thrilled that it was Bama they played, because as was stated earlier, it just means more when it's the giant that loses.

Unfortunately, Bama is probably not going to lose. So yes, it gets old. That doesn't mean I hold anything against Bama or the playoff format. Just means other teams need to do better.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #128331
    CrushB610

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    I mean, if Clemson wins tonight, everyone will be thrilled that it was Bama they played, because as was stated earlier, it just means more when it's the giant that loses.

Unfortunately, Bama is probably not going to lose. So yes, it gets old. That doesn't mean I hold anything against Bama or the playoff format. Just means other teams need to do better.
    Agree with this about 95%.. bold I don't. But yeah the point is there.

Can still be a great game and still feel like even if Bama wins but it's a great game I don't see how that gets "old"... it's 2 of the best teams in CFB playing a great game.

And again.. these are different players. Mark Ingram, Richardson, Julio, Hightower, Barron, Kirkpatrick, Ashawn Robinson, Landon Collins, Henry, Kuoanadinjo, Barrett jones, Tj Yeldon, Cj mosely, McCarron, Kenyan Drake, Reggie Ragland aren't walking thru that tunnel tonight! See Clemson has a chance!
    Old 01-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #128332
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by treytreyw222 View Post
    Saban will probably retire in 3-5 years. Until then Alabama will probably be in the playoff or close to it. The end is near
    Saban won't retire until he passes Bear Bryant. Even then he will probably jump to the NFL after that.

Quote:
    Old 01-09-2017, 07:52 AM   #128333
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I don't offend defend Alabama or Saban, but they have been so good for since 09 that all the normal attacks/excuses people made for/about them kind of don't even matter anymore. My new favorite attack on Alabama is that "Nick Saban failed in the NFL" He spent two seasons in the NFL and so his name can never be mentioned in "great football coaches" discussion.

It typically comes from NFL guy, but I see a lot of B1G fans on other message boards bring it up too. Some people just can't comprehend that a lot of us CFB fans think that CFB is the big leagues and the NFL is just somewhere they can go make a living. He spent two seasons with the Dolphins where they just missed the playoffs his first year then had a bad second season. It's rather comical imo
    Old 01-09-2017, 08:09 AM   #128334
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    I don't offend defend Alabama or Saban, but they have been so good for since 09 that all the normal attacks/excuses people made for/about them kind of don't even matter anymore. My new favorite attack on Alabama is that "Nick Saban failed in the NFL" He spent two seasons in the NFL and so his name can never be mentioned in "great football coaches" discussion.

It typically comes from NFL guy, but I see a lot of B1G fans on other message boards bring it up too. Some people just can't comprehend that a lot of us CFB fans think that CFB is the big leagues and the NFL is just somewhere they can go make a living. He spent two seasons with the Dolphins where they just missed the playoffs his first year then had a bad second season. It's rather comical imo
    Who attacks alabama or tries to tear down nick saban? I literally do not see that anywhere outside of people just getting sick of them winning.

Quote:
    Old 01-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #128335
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

unlike the Patriots, Bama wins honestly. That's respectable.

This game is going to be close. My prediction is Clemson will probably beat themselves.
    Old 01-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #128336
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Who attacks alabama or tries to tear down nick saban? I literally do not see that anywhere outside of people just getting sick of them winning.
    I said I see it on other message boards. My point is that people will reach as far as they have to to put down greatness.
    Old 01-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #128337
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by defcon View Post
    Bama wins honestly. That's respectable.
    lmao

yeah, of course they do
    Old 01-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #128338
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mposey34 View Post
    lmao

yeah, of course they do
    Yeah that's p funny. No one is doing anything honestly and I don't blame them (it's much better than it used to be though). The NCAA has outdated rules and coaches are trying to keep their jobs to provide for their families. I don't blame them.
    Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #128339
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    Yeah that's p funny. No one is doing anything honestly and I don't blame them (it's much better than it used to be though). The NCAA has outdated rules and coaches are trying to keep their jobs to provide for their families. I don't blame them.
    By that logic, how is Clemson cheating?

Besides taint manipulation and giving them the business.
    Old 01-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #128340
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by defcon View Post
    By that logic, how is Clemson cheating?

Besides taint manipulation and giving them the business.
    Not saying they are specifically, but if you don't think most of the "stars" are getting some form of compensation on the side you're extremely naive.

I'm all for them getting paid fwiw

Tags
    football , ncaa