Dave Matthews Band "Drive-In" - Every Wednesday At 8! - Page 62 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-17-2020, 06:04 PM   #1831
elconguero

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave Matthews Band "Drive-In" - Every Wednesday At 8!

Every album should be dedicated to him.
elconguero is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #1832
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

2003 is my second favorite DMB tour. Saw them a ton that year but I was always jealous of some of the west coast setlists that year. So happy that this show is the broadcast tonight. Nice reminder of my favorite time as a DMB fan. I really miss this version of the band. I would definitely be back if they sounded like this today.
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #1833
    watchtower08
    heavy as stone

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Hope Jeff is at home taking notes
    watchtower08 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 06:50 PM   #1834
    Royal123

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Having Roi on is a blessing right now. Hope they roll with these for a few more weeks. Something nice to look forward to, and seeing Boyd halfway normal is a breath of fresh air also. Damn, I miss the full original band.
    Royal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #1835
    watchtower08
    heavy as stone

Shows Seen: 48

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by watchtower08 View Post
    Hope Jeff is at home taking notes
    Buddy too
    watchtower08 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 07:42 PM   #1836
    chrisjw28

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, the show sounded really good, but nobody looked like they were having fun up there like they do nowadays. Hardly a smile from Carter, not a ton of eye contact that I saw. I hate that I judge shows like that but I couldn’t get as into it as i would’ve like me because they didn’t seem to all be having a great time.
    chrisjw28 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #1837
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisjw28 View Post
    Yeah, the show sounded really good, but nobody looked like they were having fun up there like they do nowadays. Hardly a smile from Carter, not a ton of eye contact that I saw. I hate that I judge shows like that but I couldn’t get as into it as i would’ve like me because they didn’t seem to all be having a great time.
    It really depended on the night in ‘03. Central Park was full of energy, but I also remember the SPAC shows slayed that year. I also preferred a more reserved DMB from that era. More focus on the jazz infused music and less on the rock showmanship. Also, it made it that much more special when Dave, Boyd and the band danced and did let loose on stage.
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    Old 06-17-2020, 08:41 PM   #1838
    DEMITRI

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Idk if I’ve been living under a rock but I never knew Stefan ever played the slide or lap guitar or whatever on stage ever. That kinda blew my mind. And like I’ve listen to this live trax a bunch of times idk I guess I was thinking it was butch doing something with the keys? Idk but that was pretty sweet to see.
    DEMITRI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 09:26 PM   #1839
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I really want 7/27/04 only for the fact that I attended that show. Seems like a possibility because it was a live trax.
    Old 06-17-2020, 09:34 PM   #1840
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

I wonder if they go 90s with this? If they stick to the live trax theamI really want live trax 7 or live trax 47. Both of those are monster releases.

Live trax 7 is probably one of my favorite releases ever. Like that came out years ago before the live trax series was saturated, and I would almost put it near the level of RR95, Luther college, LS, and CP. it’s that classic to me.
    Old 06-17-2020, 09:42 PM   #1841
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    I wonder if they go 90s with this? If they stick to the live trax theamI really want live trax 7 or live trax 47. Both of those are monster releases.

Live trax 7 is probably one of my favorite releases ever. Like that came out years ago before the live trax series was saturated, and I would almost put it near the level of RR95, Luther college, LS, and CP. it’s that classic to me.
    Bruce tells us he posits Listener Supported might be the earliest Drive-In we get.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 09:56 PM   #1842
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Bruce tells us he posits Listener Supported might be the earliest Drive-In we get.

I hope I’m wrong. Honestly, I don’t know 100% on that.

I still have hope, but the 90s pro-shot videos aren’t really prevalent.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 04:23 AM   #1843
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Great show! Takes me back to '03 when I saw them play one week after this show in Portland, where they also played Spoon and GIG, and a few days later at the Gorge, where I again got to hear Spoon and GIG. Except GIG had sprouted a new, spontaneous hoedown jam. That was such a cool surprise! Good times!!
    Madnana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 05:10 AM   #1844
    wmg21
    shoot straight

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

wow...great show, been awhile since i listened to this one. the guys are great in every era but there's something special about this lineup.
    wmg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 05:50 AM   #1845
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisjw28 View Post
    This take is incorrect on so many levels. I can't think of another show where these guys were more cohesively together (musically, enjoying themselves, etc.) than this one. I would take 2003 DMB 100x over today's blaring wall of sound. I think they're presenting so many recent shows because older shows illustrate how amazing they really were back then.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Old 06-18-2020, 05:55 AM   #1846
    Spell On Me
    Made To Be Played

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Did anyone else notice how slow (in a good way) everything was? It seems like they play everything so fast these days. It seems like they are in a rush to get through as many songs as possible. I would rather they slow down and cut a few than try to cram everything in.
    Spell On Me is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 05:59 AM   #1847
    but1well
    love baby

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spell On Me View Post
    Did anyone else notice how slow (in a good way) everything was? It seems like they play everything so fast these days. It seems like they are in a rush to get through as many songs as possible. I would rather they slow down and cut a few than try to cram everything in.
    Dreaming Tree was so slow, in a good way. Roi plays so beautifully on every song, never stepping on anyone's toes or trying to over play when it's his turn.
    This is literally the opposite of communism. Now, if they came out and cancelled all seats and said you are all to sit on the lawn, as peasant equals, you'd have an argument.
    but1well is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 06:12 AM   #1848
    chrisjw28

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    This take is incorrect on so many levels. I can't think of another show where these guys were more cohesively together (musically, enjoying themselves, etc.) than this one. I would take 2003 DMB 100x over today's blaring wall of sound. I think they're presenting so many recent shows because older shows illustrate how amazing they really were back then.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I respect your opinion on this! They do seem very cohesive...maybe I should’ve worded it better and gave backstory. I started really following this band when I was 18 (in 2013), so seeing this incarnation of the band is not what I was introduced to when I went to my first show at SPAC on 7/4/15. I loved the show last night, it just isn’t the same style of show that I’ve seen in person. I also would take this sound 100x over the sound of today. I especially loved DT, and how the band stays so controlled and intentional throughout the jam.
    chrisjw28 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 06:45 AM   #1849
    donvito72

Shows Seen: 68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elconguero View Post
    This band died with Leroi. Nothing Ross or Coffin do combined add up to what Leroi added to songs. Perfect fit for Dave Matthews songs. Other guys are too mechanical. Leroi plays over the entire song and doesn’t get in the way. The other two have set parts and it sounds like too much.

Nothing against their talents. They just don’t fit.
    Pains me to say it, but I fully agree with this. I think the Ants guys said it best on the podcast - they're more of a "horns section" now. I miss 'Roi's jazzy backbone.
    Old 06-18-2020, 07:45 AM   #1850
    mdel21

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I got a little teary eyed last night during Leroi's solo in BOWA. His playing is just so beautiful. So glad I got to see him multiple times. I agree with the "slower" take. It was jazzier and mellower. Shows how talented this band truly is/was that they can play the same songs at different tempos/feels/I'm not good with music terms.

I think 2003-2004 was peak DMB. Didn't have the crap from SU, CT, AFTW. The Everyday songs had been fleshed out enough live that they were really good. Jimi Thing wasn't a 20 minute drag. Setlists were fresh. I always enjoyed Butch's playing.
    mdel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 07:46 AM   #1851
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Another show confirming the insignificance of Butch for me. He was never a necessary element or significant contributor to the sound of the band for me. Nothing musically interesting and lacking in energy. Everything and everyone else sounded great, but while he was physically there, Butch had almost no musical presence in the show and when "featured" it added nothing to lift to material or improve the sound.

Excellent show though. I was surprised, however, by UtTaD and BTCS dominating the set and BS only getting three tunes. But the BS songs they did play: KKJ with vocals...so amazing, Grace is ALWAYS a winner, and Ditch...such an underrated tune. And the BTCS tunes...Spoon and Dreaming Tree (and thankfully NOT DDtW) WITH Pig in one show? These six songs alone would have made for a great show. Rhyme and Reason reminded me that it's my favorite of Dave's "agro" tunes. Halloween is a powerful song, but it's almost too much...as in not something I'd choose to listen to if I were picking tunes (we just put on "albums" and let them play through).

Again, we really enjoyed the show, but as noted earlier bu others, we didn't appreciate cutting out of all of the between tune stuff. It felt less like a real concert as result. Obviously we don't want to wait through the encore break, but everything else is part of the show. Heck, at home it's enough time to hit the bathroom without missing a tune.

Cheers all.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 08:04 AM   #1852
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdel21 View Post
    I got a little teary eyed last night during Leroi's solo in BOWA. His playing is just so beautiful. So glad I got to see him multiple times. I agree with the "slower" take. It was jazzier and mellower. Shows how talented this band truly is/was that they can play the same songs at different tempos/feels/I'm not good with music terms.

I think 2003-2004 was peak DMB. Didn't have the crap from SU, CT, AFTW. The Everyday songs had been fleshed out enough live that they were really good. Jimi Thing wasn't a 20 minute drag. Setlists were fresh. I always enjoyed Butch's playing.
    And this...

Roi's voice on the sax hit my ears perfectly from the first time I heard the band, without realizing it was them. Then once I was officially introduced to the band and started listening, he became one of my favorite musicians.

I miss his contributions dearly. I wish he'd done more work, even just doing guest spots outside of the band, maybe releasing some solo stuff or forming a band that was more about recording and one-off shows.

I was wondering just after BOWA, how much the band would change the Caravan years, the D&F stint, etc. if they knew the time was coming to an end. Obviously they'd ideally want to change this so they wouldn't lose Roi to begin with, but I'm thinking more along the lines of it being an inevitability (e.g.: had he a terminal disease). There's no blame being put on the band, but I just wish there was more music with Roi available to us. We know there's still a lot in the can, even if it's demo-based stuff that we'd love to hear. Roi's one of the main factors for LOVING both the LWS and BS...more of his takes on these tunes.

Seeing these older are really about hearing Roi for me.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #1853
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaHey View Post
    Hasn't every show been professionally filmed since at least 2012 when they started doing the Summer Tour Warmup series?
    oh yeah so they are just lazy.

each week the string cheese incident does this too, and todays show is from 2011. cant fucking wait.
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 08:28 AM   #1854
    Aircanuck

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    And this...

Roi's voice on the sax hit my ears perfectly from the first time I heard the band, without realizing it was them. Then once I was officially introduced to the band and started listening, he became one of my favorite musicians.

I miss his contributions dearly. I wish he'd done more work, even just doing guest spots outside of the band, maybe releasing some solo stuff or forming a band that was more about recording and one-off shows.

I was wondering just after BOWA, how much the band would change the Caravan years, the D&F stint, etc. if they knew the time was coming to an end. Obviously they'd ideally want to change this so they wouldn't lose Roi to begin with, but I'm thinking more along the lines of it being an inevitability (e.g.: had he a terminal disease). There's no blame being put on the band, but I just wish there was more music with Roi available to us. We know there's still a lot in the can, even if it's demo-based stuff that we'd love to hear. Roi's one of the main factors for LOVING both the LWS and BS...more of his takes on these tunes.

You both (+mdel) sum up my thoughts as well. I too got a little teary for BOWA last night

I know exactly where I was when I dialled in to LeRoi for the first time, I stopped what I was doing and sat down. I was not a huge DMB fan and knew of their radio hits, but that was it. Then LeRoi got through and that was it. I started playing sax just so I could have some sort of idea of what he was doing and how incredible it was. Now playing is an absolute joy for me. I chased down every piece of work he did, Sokoband, Code Magenta, anything I could get my paws on. I never understood why he doesn't get more respect in jazz/saxophone world.

I have truly valued these performances with him over the last few months and it's nice to have him playing for a grateful audience once again.
    Aircanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 08:48 AM   #1855
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Here's my audio rip. There are a couple skips in BOWA, Warehouse, and Jimi Thing, but they're very minor.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16oY...ew?usp=sharing
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 08:52 AM   #1856
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Another show confirming the insignificance of Butch for me. He was never a necessary element or significant contributor to the sound of the band for me. Nothing musically interesting and lacking in energy. Everything and everyone else sounded great, but while he was physically there, Butch had almost no musical presence in the show and when "featured" it added nothing to lift to material or improve the sound.

Excellent show though. I was surprised, however, by UtTaD and BTCS dominating the set and BS only getting three tunes. But the BS songs they did play: KKJ with vocals...so amazing, Grace is ALWAYS a winner, and Ditch...such an underrated tune. And the BTCS tunes...Spoon and Dreaming Tree (and thankfully NOT DDtW) WITH Pig in one show? These six songs alone would have made for a great show. Rhyme and Reason reminded me that it's my favorite of Dave's "agro" tunes. Halloween is a powerful song, but it's almost too much...as in not something I'd choose to listen to if I were picking tunes (we just put on "albums" and let them play through).

Again, we really enjoyed the show, but as noted earlier bu others, we didn't appreciate cutting out of all of the between tune stuff. It felt less like a real concert as result. Obviously we don't want to wait through the encore break, but everything else is part of the show. Heck, at home it's enough time to hit the bathroom without missing a tune.

Cheers all.
    I disagree on Butch. His contributions on Rapunzel for example are extremely note worthy. IMO he carries that tune in a lot of ways. My favorite versions are all from 98-04. I think a lot of people that don’t like Butch don’t really like jazz and and piano. A lot of jazz piano is filling spaces that you don’t even notice. Think of Miles Davis and John Coltrane’s albums. The jazz piano takes solos sure, but the majority of the brilliance come from the fills they play during Miles and John soloing. I think Butch does a great job of that with DMB.
    Old 06-18-2020, 08:56 AM   #1857
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
    It really depended on the night in ‘03. Central Park was full of energy, but I also remember the SPAC shows slayed that year. I also preferred a more reserved DMB from that era. More focus on the jazz infused music and less on the rock showmanship. Also, it made it that much more special when Dave, Boyd and the band danced and did let loose on stage.
    Wasn’t the band having a bit of a beef with Dave that year? Maybe that’s why? It’s not like all of the early 2000s shows are like this. Watch Folsom Field, The Gorge 2002, CP, or live trax 40 and you will see a little bit more visible fun. It doesn’t matter to me at all I’m just explaining it
    Old 06-18-2020, 09:06 AM   #1858
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
    I disagree on Butch. His contributions on Rapunzel for example are extremely note worthy. IMO he carries that tune in a lot of ways. My favorite versions are all from 98-04. I think a lot of people that don’t like Butch don’t really like jazz and and piano. A lot of jazz piano is filling spaces that you don’t even notice. Think of Miles Davis and John Coltrane’s albums. The jazz piano takes solos sure, but the majority of the brilliance come from the fills they play during Miles and John soloing. I think Butch does a great job of that with DMB.
    This! His fills are awesome especially on something like Rapunzel. We need more of that from Buddy
    Old 06-18-2020, 09:26 AM   #1859
    wmg21
    shoot straight

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    This! His fills are awesome especially on something like Rapunzel. We need more of that from Buddy
    I love what Buddy brings, I just wish be brought a little more piano and a little less organ from time to time.
    wmg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 09:26 AM   #1860
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Completely agree, incredible musician and I miss him

.... older shows don't make me miss BT at all
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote