Dave & Tim @ Radiohead show 2018 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 10-31-2023, 10:39 PM   #1
GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Dave & Tim @ Radiohead show 2018

Posting this in DMBc because I just remembered about Dave & Tim being at this show & I'm now guessing why.

3 or 4 years ago I posted here about seeing Radiohead in 2018 and being surprised to sit in the row right behind Tim & some of DMB's crew; in the same row as Lars Ulrich 2 nights in a row (watching him air drum through the ENTIRE SHOW both nights was a wonderful "Music worlds colliding" experience!); and realizing at end of show when Dave & family walked down stairs past us that Dave was there too. And pretty sure Jason Isbell was rocking out the entire show at the side of the stage, we could see him. There seemed to be a lot of VIPs at the time for Philly but I didn't question why much.

I think I even asked Tim if DMB was in town for a show since several long time crew were there (I wasn't on top of DMB's touring schedule then) and I don't think he ever answered that question. And I did look at the DMB schedule when I got home, nothing near Philly right then, so Well, I'm sure I'm way late to this news but now I know why they were there...

A few weeks ago I had the amazing experience of getting to see Phil Selway film his Tiny Desk concert at NPR. The experience in & of itself was incredible, I've never heard him speak that much and he's so gracious and humble and his band was amazing. Very different of course from Radiohead (he never plays drums, and his drummer is fantastic of course) but still cool.

When it was over I went over to him to tell him about my "worlds collide" experience at those 2018 shows. Phil asked me "Which shows were they?" Me: "Philly 2018, both nights, I think it was 2018..." and Phil nodded and thoughtfully said "Yes, our last shows, that 2nd show was our last show." Me: "Of the TOUR...?" Phil: "No, the last time we played as Radiohead so far. We knew we were going to take a break, it's just gone on longer than we thought."

More in touch Radiohead fans probably know this but I just knew they'd taken a long break but never put together that those 2 shows were the very last they played as Radiohead to date. And from the # of VIPs that went to that last show, it's pretty clear word circulated. I was at the 2 Boston shows before the Philly shows and Lars Ulrich was at both of those too (but I wasn't sitting in his row).

So just sharing because I don't know what bands Dave, Tim and others talk about being fans of, but to find out I saw the last show to date that Radiohead played meant a LOT to me and I'm guessing meant a lot to Dave, Tim and their crew who were there with them.

ANd no I didn't ask, nor did Phil say if/when Radiohead will play as Radiohead again, but nothing he said made it sound final. My takeaway is that they are still on break, not done for good. I'm so out of it, maybe they've already announced re-forming when Johnny & Phil are doing touring? Is Smile still touring?

Last edited by GraceBuckley; 10-31-2023 at 10:41 PM.
GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-01-2023, 06:46 AM   #2
    tubaguy1145

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave & Tim @ Radiohead show 2018

Thanks for posting. I saw them in Detroit the week before the Philly shows… had never occurred to me that I may have seen one of the last Radiohead performances.

Hopefully if they ever get together again it’s because they legitimately want to make great new music and not just to cash in on their glory days.
    tubaguy1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-01-2023, 01:07 PM   #3
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Agree that the best Radiohead "re-formation" would be if they do it because they're ready & inspired & want it. I'm pretty sure the people who put on Coachella have already offered them almost as much $$ as they've offered the members of the Smiths to reform at Coachella, and neither the Smiths nor Radiohead have fallen for it so I think we're good with not doing it for money because Coachella has boat-loads of money to offer bands.
    Old 11-01-2023, 03:20 PM   #4
    gia_rootdivine
    our sacred dances true

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Yes

i saw this the other day on one of the Radiohead boards!! it's something from a very recent interview

``37:50 Phil says after the last RH show in Philly in 2018, they always intended to take a year off, then the pandemic happened. "When we do play together again, we'll be picking up where we left off -it's part of our DNA and muscle memory." ``
    gia_rootdivine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-01-2023, 07:07 PM   #5
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

So. Much. YAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!