Walk Around the Moon (album) discussion - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-26-2023, 10:54 AM   #121
jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Walk Around the Moon (album) discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibby1044 View Post
Given this and what Chad said it makes me think that Dave couldnt get it to sound the way he wanted so he just gave up.
Needed a Steve Lillywhite save. DDTW probably would have been abandoned without him.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-26-2023, 10:54 AM   #122
    Hilly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by raven10 View Post
    Aggressively mild take incoming:

Personally, I'm really excited to hear this thing. In my mind, the bolded tracks are all good-to-great songs with a clear point of view that feel additive to their library.

I like your takes here, and I'm in the same boat as you. I like what I've heard of the live songs, and I love what they did with MME, which is admittedly among my least favorite of the songs I know, and I still really like it.

Given the quality of MME, and my love of the songs I know, I'm really excited for this.

Would I have loved a 12 minute studio version of Break for It, yes, I would have. Would I love to have polished versions of Shotgun, Crazy Easy, and Good Good Time? Yes. Would I be excited for 12 songs I've never heard? I sure would.

The absence of those things, however, doesn't dampen my excitement for this record based on everything I've heard so far from the ONE studio sample we have and live versions.
    Old 01-26-2023, 10:59 AM   #123
    alec

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Given this and what Chad said it makes me think that Dave couldnt get it to sound the way he wanted so he just gave up.
    All he would have to do is say to the band, “listen to the way we played it at Cville in 2016 and play it exactly like that”. Boom! Done.

Hopefully we will hear it when the vault is emptied.
    alec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 11:04 AM   #124
    ryrams02

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    I like your takes here, and I'm in the same boat as you. I like what I've heard of the live songs, and I love what they did with MME, which is admittedly among my least favorite of the songs I know, and I still really like it.

Given the quality of MME, and my love of the songs I know, I'm really excited for this.

Would I have loved a 12 minute studio version of Break for It, yes, I would have. Would I love to have polished versions of Shotgun, Crazy Easy, and Good Good Time? Yes. Would I be excited for 12 songs I've never heard? I sure would.

The absence of those things, however, doesn't dampen my excitement for this record based on everything I've heard so far from the ONE studio sample we have and live versions.
    Agreed completely but it doesn't change the fact that there are pop singers with sprinkles on top that have longer songs on their albums.
    ryrams02 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 11:06 AM   #125
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryrams02 View Post
    Agreed completely but it doesn't change the fact that there are pop singers with sprinkles on top that have longer songs on their albums.

Well, if you just care about length, it sounds like you've found stuff you like.
    Old 01-26-2023, 11:07 AM   #126
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryrams02 View Post
    Robin Sparkles ?
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 11:09 AM   #127
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    Needed a Steve Lillywhite save. DDTW probably would have been abandoned without him.
    It’s pretty obvious to me the reason we don’t hear much studio material is the lack of a coach or general for the band. Dave can’t do both because he clearly overthinks and overworks things. I imagine he spends alot of time on certain things that we would say are done and great. Then spends near zero time on the things it takes to flesh songs out that are more difficult because they aren’t as fun and don’t come to you out of nowhere. That’s where that studio head is needed.

Sad part is he probably doesn’t want to do that anymore and have someone push him but the reason that’s sad is if he had done that he would’ve saved himself 4 years in creating nearly the same album. Work harder for a shorter period of time to save yourself on the backend.
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 11:11 AM   #128
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Neither of those I’m thinking of one that was actually on a track list at one point.

I will say Bismarck was apparently considered and dumped and that just stinks. I just don’t think Dave likes it very much anymore
    Yeah, this tracks
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 12:02 PM   #129
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It’s pretty obvious to me the reason we don’t hear much studio material is the lack of a coach or general for the band. Dave can’t do both because he clearly overthinks and overworks things. I imagine he spends alot of time on certain things that we would say are done and great. Then spends near zero time on the things it takes to flesh songs out that are more difficult because they aren’t as fun and don’t come to you out of nowhere. That’s where that studio head is needed.

Sad part is he probably doesn’t want to do that anymore and have someone push him but the reason that’s sad is if he had done that he would’ve saved himself 4 years in creating nearly the same album. Work harder for a shorter period of time to save yourself on the backend.
    Well said.
    Old 01-26-2023, 12:09 PM   #130
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    By the looks of things this may be the worst record they have ever put out. These new songs, the 7 that we know of are just nothing burgers. Ok MME is decent but nothing where I want to listen to it over and over again. I think the last songs that I felt that way about are Snow Outside and Rooftop.

What happened to DMB? Jesus.. I am now almost 53, first saw them in I believe 92 and sadly after all this time I feel like it's just over. All of my generation of fans are long gone. In the last 10 years I've only been to a few shows. People seem to go now not for the music but to just get drunk and have a good time. Not sure I can blame anyone at this point. I saw them at Merriweather a few years ago and they sounded good but not great. They're older now I get it.

Why can't Dave dig into his soul ( as Lillywhite said) and make the music that he is capable of? I mean this new stuff is just crap. Sounds like any local cover band can do better. MME is pretty good, not great. The rest of those 6 songs are just nothing. Does anyone in Dave's circle confront him on this? Does he just have yes men around him?
    the decline really started with Stand Up back in ‘05. That was a true “wtf” moment… there was a slight revival of hope with BWGGK and then just another downhill slide since then as far as new material goes.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 12:22 PM   #131
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Greykitkat41 View Post
    I hope if the insiders know any more info about any of the new songs, anything at all, please tell us. We have to wait 4 MONTHS to find out, that's a long time to not get any info. If DMB doesn't want rumors spreading or info getting out they should have just dropped the whole thing already. That's my .02

Like...are the songs we haven't heard (the new ones) all DEFINITLEY brand new? Or is possible one of them is an old song that was retitled? I'm assuming it's all totally unheard but just curious
    I don’t get this thinking. What does any of this matter? I’m sorry, but the amount of grown adults whining on this site that they have to wait 4 months to hear an album is hilarious to me. You know, there was a time where you’d get an album announcement with NO single with it, then wait a month for the single, and then wait another 2-3 months to go Best Buy. I get things have changed, but JFC, people. Get a grip. What is it you want to know? “So, Looking For a Vein, is played in the key of D. But drop D. It’s in 6/8 time signature and uses the title in the lyrics”…would that help get you through the next 4 months?
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 12:36 PM   #132
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    “So, Looking For a Vein, is played in the key of D. But drop D. It’s in 6/8 time signature and uses the title in the lyrics”…would that help get you through the next 4 months?

Okay but out of the 6/8 songs you've never heard which is your favorite??
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 12:41 PM   #133
    theflower

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

i was taken aback a bit by the runtimes of the new tracks a bit but since Tuesday, that emotion has been replaced by genuine curiosity. i'm very anxious to hear this thing. really like how ME sounds.
    theflower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 12:57 PM   #134
    bigpappa

Shows Seen: 60

My Tour Central Stats

stop going. stop posting. there are way more who DON'T think like you.
    bigpappa is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 12:59 PM   #135
    bigpappa

Shows Seen: 60

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpappa View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    By the looks of things this may be the worst record they have ever put out. These new songs, the 7 that we know of are just nothing burgers. Ok MME is decent but nothing where I want to listen to it over and over again. I think the last songs that I felt that way about are Snow Outside and Rooftop.

What happened to DMB? Jesus.. I am now almost 53, first saw them in I believe 92 and sadly after all this time I feel like it's just over. All of my generation of fans are long gone. In the last 10 years I've only been to a few shows. People seem to go now not for the music but to just get drunk and have a good time. Not sure I can blame anyone at this point. I saw them at Merriweather a few years ago and they sounded good but not great. They're older now I get it.

Why can't Dave dig into his soul ( as Lillywhite said) and make the music that he is capable of? I mean this new stuff is just crap. Sounds like any local cover band can do better. MME is pretty good, not great. The rest of those 6 songs are just nothing. Does anyone in Dave's circle confront him on this? Does he just have yes men around him?

bigpappa is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 01:24 PM   #136
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I'm excited to hear the full album. Really looking forward to WatM studio. Loved that song from the debut in Raleigh '21. This will be a fun year.
    Old 01-26-2023, 01:26 PM   #137
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

I guess if the music is good, that's all that really matters, but I'm a little disappointed at the lack of writing credits from other band members.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 01:28 PM   #138
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    I guess if the music is good, that's all that really matters, but I'm a little disappointed at the lack of writing credits from other band members.

I don't understand how SL is completely absent
    Old 01-26-2023, 01:47 PM   #139
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Fun statistic: This album almost has more plays for me than AFTW.

Goal for 2023: If songs from this album can finally edge out Seven, FTWII, You & Me, and Shake Meh, then I'm all for it.
    Old 01-26-2023, 02:30 PM   #140
    bigeyedpigs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpappa View Post
    I really understand his way of thinking though and alot of long time fans do too. I use to think Dave was going in the direction of some the great singer/songwriters, then something just fell off a cliff. This band had great songs and just chose not to do anything with them and then put out garbage like hunger, can't stop, ct, ect ...which often get played regularly. I know many people, myself included, that spent thousands attending tour after tour for years, it was music people were passionate about. There's not a chance Dave doesn't know the songs fans want released or the sd songs (up up and away) people would love to be played, or how most of the catalogue sounds without a violin. If anything someone close to the band needs to give them a critical opinion. It's not hard to see why Roi wanted to quit if this was the direction and effort, he saw behind the scenes.

Last edited by bigeyedpigs; 01-26-2023 at 02:31 PM.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 02:51 PM   #141
    Monkeysmoke

Shows Seen: 68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigeyedpigs View Post
    I really understand his way of thinking though and alot of long time fans do too. I use to think Dave was going in the direction of some the great singer/songwriters, then something just fell off a cliff. This band had great songs and just chose not to do anything with them and then put out garbage like hunger, can't stop, ct, ect ...which often get played regularly. I know many people, myself included, that spent thousands attending tour after tour for years, it was music people were passionate about. There's not a chance Dave doesn't know the songs fans want released or the sd songs (up up and away) people would love to be played, or how most of the catalogue sounds without a violin. If anything someone close to the band needs to give them a critical opinion. It's not hard to see why Roi wanted to quit if this was the direction and effort, he saw behind the scenes.
    I agree. Been a fan since 97 and the era of DMB I knew basically ended with Everyday. They tried to redeem themselves with Busted Stuff and Stand Up was a joke. I believe Roi really was the glue to this band and between him and Lillywhite they could get the best out of Dave and guide him. Dave has always said Roi was the musical director and Dave looked to Roi for guidance. When Dave was going to walk away from the band it was Roi who made him man up.

So for someone to say no one thinks like the other person who posted you’re completely wrong. A lot of us have seen a lot of shit with this band. Dave writing this dad rock stuff and save the kids stuff is blah. This isn’t the same band by any means. If you had showed this version of the band to me in the 90’s I would have laughed at you.
    Monkeysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 03:45 PM   #142
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    And what even constitutes as a songwriting credit? I can't imagine Dave wrote all the music for all the instruments. I guess only lyrics, chord progression, and song structure gets you a credit? Like if Stefan came up with the base line, that doesn't count.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 03:49 PM   #143
    Jollymonkey

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hopeful for the new record and like most of the new songs but was surprised and sad to see Stefan have no credits.
    Jollymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 03:49 PM   #144
    Johnnnybones

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxatlof View Post
    Nope, fwiw I dig it quite a bit actually. Can't Stop is an abomination (and one of the 2 or 3 worst songs they've ever written) but for the most part the rest of the album I enjoy and still listen to on somewhat regular basis.
    Can't stop is one of my favorites on the album so fo each their own I guess. Carter on that track just scratches an itch for me. Wonderful stuff.
    Johnnnybones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 03:52 PM   #145
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's actually interesting, considering this note from July 2021:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scootlebug View Post
    Spoke with someone once removed from the band tonight….all luck, visiting C-ville for the first time with my wife and kids…..should be new music prior to the first show of the tour. Practice is going well and the band is motivated to give fans who bought a ticket in 2020 a good show. Emphasis on new material in practices, which went on for over 8 hours one day. Some good horn lines and Stefan played a role in shaping some songs. Dave is in a good place and the pressure of coming up with new material wasn’t there. 14 songs in total are complete, but final cut undecided. Pretty whirly bird meeting but I’m glad it happened. Strike up conversations with strangers when you get the chance. Pretty sure I covered all I was told. Will revisit tomorrow when the edibles wear off!
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 03:55 PM   #146
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Was saying this. Why does Alagia have credits everywhere but Stefan, mastermind of songs like Dreaming Tree, missing? If anything, this bugs me the most.
    You're living in an imaginary mental prison of your own creation.
    dmbdreamingtree is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 04:03 PM   #147
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Not sure what the answers are but I think the world of Stefan and his ability to create grooves, form, etc. Not uncommon for bass players but he's their most underappreciated member, very valuable in the room when it comes to songwriting, and I think pulls from different influences than Dave which makes them stronger together.

Last edited by ToySoldier#34; 01-26-2023 at 04:05 PM.
    Old 01-26-2023, 04:24 PM   #148
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

So with the 14 songs Scootle was talking about, looks like we’re getting 10 of them. With STTMB and Break Free being later additions, and Run to the Fire and Revolution being cut.

Wonder what those songs were like. Should be a small but sizable amount of people who’ve heard them. Hope we learn more about them some day.

EDIT: and maybe Stefan had a hand in shaping the 4 songs that didn’t make it

Last edited by ElijahSoRight72; 01-26-2023 at 04:25 PM.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 04:25 PM   #149
    bigeyedpigs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Monkeysmoke View Post
    I agree. Been a fan since 97 and the era of DMB I knew basically ended with Everyday. They tried to redeem themselves with Busted Stuff and Stand Up was a joke. I believe Roi really was the glue to this band and between him and Lillywhite they could get the best out of Dave and guide him. Dave has always said Roi was the musical director and Dave looked to Roi for guidance. When Dave was going to walk away from the band it was Roi who made him man up.

So for someone to say no one thinks like the other person who posted you’re completely wrong. A lot of us have seen a lot of shit with this band. Dave writing this dad rock stuff and save the kids stuff is blah. This isn’t the same band by any means. If you had showed this version of the band to me in the 90’s I would have laughed at you.
    Yup, I agree with everything you said. What gets me though is it didn't have to be this way, they still had good songs floating around between 04 and 07, just chose to do nothing with them. I can't imagine anyone sitting in a room after stand up was finished and being proud of that, knowing what was sitting on floor.They didn't even release their 25th anniversary show as a live trax and it's probably some ridiculous reason " I don't feel like releasing Bismarck, people will want it". It's baffling the decision they make lol
    As you said it's not the same band. When Roi and Lillywhite were there there was a push for genuine effort. Now it's Dave, batson, whoever will just agree with Dave, and rashawn directing.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 04:37 PM   #150
    ForkInFork

Shows Seen: 71

My Tour Central Stats

I hope one of the new short songs is Hurricane. It won't be, but until it comes out I can pretend that it will be. Maybe "After Everything".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONWld6TU-TQ
    ForkInFork is offline   Reply With Quote