the (2021) summer so far - Page 22 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 08-02-2021, 07:12 AM   #631
DaveHead77
Saw LS teased 2x n 2wks

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: the (2021) summer so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post
I agree with his post. Getting Hello Again, SDL, Sweet, SUAD (!), DIDO, JTR (!), Rhyme (my biggest personal liberation yet - fall 2010 to WPB 2021 N2), Stolen, Stone, Riff (completed AFTW finally), etc was tremendous. A great week of shows honestly and I got quite a lot of music I’ve been wanting to see.

Yes. Pretty funny. But they should have played another song after it. I think the band was just exhausted.

Not trying to come off as an a-hole, but you should probably not do this. As a taper myself it honestly does not bother ME that much as I enjoy having mp3s available for my own personal use, but it’s pretty standard among 99% of tapers to not want this. For example, that torrent says in all caps “PLEASE DO NOT DISTRIBUTE THIS SHOW IN MP3 OR OTHER LOSSY FORMATS *******”

Trust me, I get it, the mp3s are easier. But do it for personal use, etc and just link the torrent. You do great work for the community and I personally greatly appreciate it - I download your stuff all the time. I just don’t want any other tapers seeing that and getting upset.

Very short. Off stage at 10:33 each night. Ran it to 11pm on the dot in Tampa and Alpharetta was like juuuust before 11. Actually every show was getting longer for the first 4 - Raleigh, then Charlotte was longer, then Alpharetta was longer, then Tampa hit 11, etc.

So 10:33 was quite weird to me. The band was exhausted I guess but Dave even wrote the setlists shorter, they are shorter song wise than NC, GA, and I believe Tampa. I thought N1 when they did it that he was saving it up for N2.... nope. By far the shortest shows of the opening run.

Let’s see how the next run of shows go. It’ll tell us if the LONG shows that opened were an anomaly or not. I mean it was hotter than hell out there in WPB but it wasn’t that much (if at all) worse than Charlotte for example.

I tried making a post in a FB group about this but people just don’t understand, they think the 7:45 start means 10:30 end is standard lol. I’m like no.... the Tampa show went until 11.

WPB N2 2019 went quite a bit past 11, I remember the show wrapping up around 11:16-11:20 range. They went very late at that show.
Thanks. Yeah I was kinda curious to see if that was the case because they only played 20 songs (two being VERY short) and there werent many “jam” tunes from N2, so wondered if they cut it short or ended up jamming/soloing a lot on non-traditional jam songs. But yeah I bet the heat and them not being acclimated to playing back to back shows got to them.
Nashville '00, '04, ‘19, & ‘23, D&T 2x ‘17, Cincy '07 & ‘21, Charlotte '08, Louisville '08, Charlottesville N2 '09, ‘16, & N2 ‘18, Deer Creek N2 '09, DM in Nashville '10, Atlanta '10 - '12, '14 - '16, & ‘18 -‘19, ‘23, Raleigh ‘18 and ‘21 - ‘22, Memphis ‘19 & ‘23.
DaveHead77 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-02-2021, 07:29 AM   #632
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I like Tim and Stefan on this R&R jam a lot
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #633
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    You’re right Hanhinator, technically I should ask permission to do that. I don’t know really understand the reason for not distributing in a lossy format, considering that the source is everything but a perfect audio source.
    But it is true, so if the taper do not want that, I won’t do that. So next time I’ll just post the torrent link
    That's unfortunate cause a lot of people rely on these MP3's. Either way, thanks for your help as always in the community!
    Old 08-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #634
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanbrutus View Post
    That's unfortunate cause a lot of people rely on these MP3's. Either way, thanks for your help as always in the community!
    It takes 2 mins to convert them yourself, hasn’t been an issue the last 20 years, shouldn’t be a problem now.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2021, 09:18 AM   #635
    seanbrutus

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    It takes 2 mins to convert them yourself, hasn’t been an issue the last 20 years, shouldn’t be a problem now.
    It's not an issue for me, but plenty of people don't have the time or resources to do that and want to be able to upload it to their phone. I certainly understand why it's a "rule", but it seems outdated.
    Old 08-02-2021, 09:32 AM   #636
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

The MP3 rule is outdated. Frankly, I never saw the need for the rule. The majority of people don’t care about flac.
    Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #637
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I understand why the rule has existed, but I don't own a computer any more and can't download it on my work computer, so the MP3's and other such sites that use that format for DMB shows has been very helpful for me.

Looks like a LOT of complaining after N1 and none after N2....what a setlist! Enjoyed the Sirius stream, also (thanks Xcacel). It doesn't sound perfect, but those were some smokin versions of Seek Up and SUAD.
    camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2021, 09:48 AM   #638
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanbrutus View Post
    It's not an issue for me, but plenty of people don't have the time or resources to do that and want to be able to upload it to their phone. I certainly understand why it's a "rule", but it seems outdated.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camptravisr View Post
    I understand why the rule has existed, but I don't own a computer any more and can't download it on my work computer, so the MP3's and other such sites that use that format for DMB shows has been very helpful for me.

Looks like a LOT of complaining after N1 and none after N2....what a setlist! Enjoyed the Sirius stream, also (thanks Xcacel). It doesn't sound perfect, but those were some smokin versions of Seek Up and SUAD.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ View Post
    The MP3 rule is outdated. Frankly, I never saw the need for the rule. The majority of people don’t care about flac.

I respect the rule but I don’t actually understand it. Could you explain it to me? FLAC vs MP3 for a flying concert recording are basically the same thing. What was the reasoning behind this statement?
    Old 08-02-2021, 09:53 AM   #639
    seanbrutus

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I respect the rule but I don’t actually understand it. Could you explain it to me? FLAC vs MP3 for a flying concert recording are basically the same thing. What was the reasoning behind this statement?
    I assume tapers want to protect the quality of their tapes.

In the digital age it seems less important to me for the reasons you stated. Ease of access to help more fans would take precedent for me personally, but I'm not a taper. But I ALWAYS convert them to a format I can load onto my phone for ease of use. Only listen to FLAC when I'm on my laptop.
    Old 08-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #640
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

My Tour Central Stats

I’m not disagreeing with any of you lol trust me, I get it. I could care less what you do with my recordings. I’m just saying a lot of tapers (not me) will go by the “lossless only” rule and could get upset over the mp3 conversions, that’s all.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2021, 03:00 PM   #641
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post
    I’m not disagreeing with any of you lol trust me, I get it. I could care less what you do with my recordings. I’m just saying a lot of tapers (not me) will go by the “lossless only” rule and could get upset over the mp3 conversions, that’s all.

Yes, but I do think you got a point with your observations.
    I went to Dreaming Tree “golden rules”; there are many (for example you cannot post a torrent somewhere else) but nothing about this case. So, I think it is up the taper to decide whether or not leaving the possibility to use only lossless.

Now that I am thinking of it, I remember that Chad in his “highlights of summer XY tour” threads was often mentioning that he was asking permission to post MP3 to the tapers.
    I think I should/could do the same (from next time). Not a big issue, if actually MP3 are a benefit to Ants community: tapers today are a relatively small circle of people.

The fact is: I constantly get torrents and convert to MP3/AAC 320kbps, because this is the way I listen to my music. And I have a pro Mega account that allows me to upload a lot of stuff in a short of time (I use it for a lot of stuff, best storage service around, IMO). So, it takes for me zero effort to share what I am listening (and the emotions associated to it, for example when it is a great tape from last night).

Therefore I’ll continue to upload MP3 to my cloud, and as an alternative, if certain people is interested, I can share privately the links.
    Old 08-02-2021, 03:32 PM   #642
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

My Tour Central Stats

If my name is attached to it (Mark), do whatever you want with the mp3s. I am a huge fan of what Chad does with his threads too and the highlights. I'll be taping a lot of the DMB shows this summer, so feel free. All good on my end.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2021, 08:06 PM   #643
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Taking FLAC/SHN and converting to mp3 vs WAV/AIFF is like watching a 4k movie in 480 VHS on your TV
    It is going to sound/look like crap over what it could be. many people don’t realize how bad their hearing really is though so they don’t notice the difference as much as they do with vision.
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2021, 10:38 PM   #644
    OutofDarkness

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I'm curious, how much does the drop in quality matter when we're talking about concert tapes? The quality of those recordings is much lower from the get-go, so does converting to mp3 make as much of a difference (compared to converting a professionally-recorded-and-mixed track)?
    OutofDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2021, 10:42 PM   #645
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

the (2021) summer so far

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
    Taking FLAC/SHN and converting to mp3 vs WAV/AIFF is like watching a 4k movie in 480 VHS on your TV
    It is going to sound/look like crap over what it could be. many people don’t realize how bad their hearing really is though so they don’t notice the difference as much as they do with vision.

Willndmb, I think we should take the discussion to another thread but, trying to close it…it depends A LOT on the source.

You’re listening to Ravel’s Bolero? Mozart? An epic studio recording? Even Pink Floyd “The Dark Side of the Moon” or the DMB Central Park Concert or other great audio recording? Yes, you can tell the difference.

But some tapes have little to do with that. Even some Live Trax are meh.. when the source is not optimal, transcoding to 320 kbps MP3 it won’t impact so much your listening. To use your metaphor, it would be like pretending to watch on 4K the film you just made of your 6 old kids at school play, filmed with a shaky phone. Or watching .. Interstellar.

There is a lot of discussion about that (FLAC vs High Quality MP3) on the internet: of course it depends also on your gear, and I’m assuming you are listening with a high level headphones.

Actually, from explanations given above, I can also understand that a taper might be so proud of his recording that he thinks nobody should listen a poorest version of it. If they do so, I won’t criticize. A tape is, basically, a gift, and if I decide to accept it, I should be glad and not complain.

As Mark (Hahninator) outlined, it depends from the taper: Mark is fine with his tapes, maybe Eric Naylor (I don’t know if he still does taping) or another guy won’t be happy as well. So, I will ask permission for next rips.
    Old 08-04-2021, 09:16 AM   #646
    rutherm124

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Does anybody have a good version of sweet from this year? The ones on YouTube aren’t that great of audio quality
    rutherm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-07-2021, 05:11 AM   #647
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Looking at peoples Instagram comments to rashawn and Jeff about the show being cut short is something.
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-07-2021, 05:57 AM   #648
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

I like Tim's solo on LIOG last night, also like his tone and how he isn't obnoxiously loud anymore which were both issues for me for a while. It's too bad when it comes to LIOG that Buddy puts ketchup on that steak.
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-07-2021, 06:00 AM   #649
    Bearclaw_

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Does anybody have a good version of sweet from this year? The ones on YouTube aren’t that great of audio quality
    MP3 thread has the version from Raleigh.
    Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-07-2021, 07:10 AM   #650
    Royal123

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Hope they give everyone at N2 a stellar show after last night’s early exit.
    Royal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #651
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

My Tour Central Stats

What happened to the black SJ?
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2021, 05:15 AM   #652
    yankeesguy86

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I thought Tim was on fire the entire Chicago weekend. LIOG and Nancies are two examples of songs I was most leery about when Boyd left, and the versions in Chicago were on par with ones I saw in the Boyd years.

The visual of Boyd going nuts on the violin is impossible to replace, so it's as if Tim realizes his solos on those two songs have to really go for it.
    02 12/14 03 7/3 04 6/18; 8/7 05 6/2,13; 7/23,24; 11/30 06 5/30; 6/2,3; 7/1,2; 9/15 07 7/8; 8/17,18,25,26 08 8/9, 10 09 7/18,19; 8/1 10 6/16,18,19; 7/3,4; 9/17,18 11 7/8,9,10 12 6/22; 7/6,7 13 6/21, 22; 7/5,6 14 6/20,21; 7/4,5 15 7/15,17,18,25,26,31; 8/1
    yankeesguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2021, 05:54 AM   #653
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yankeesguy86 View Post
    I thought Tim was on fire the entire Chicago weekend. LIOG and Nancies are two examples of songs I was most leery about when Boyd left, and the versions in Chicago were on par with ones I saw in the Boyd years.

The visual of Boyd going nuts on the violin is impossible to replace, so it's as if Tim realizes his solos on those two songs have to really go for it.
    I think Boyd’s stage presence is likely why we have buddy over a violin right now. Dmb could easily find a violin to play the parts, there’s probably hundreds of studio violinists that could do it and do it well. But this is a band that has an IT factor that buddy obviously has that they like. If they found a guy like that, that actually fit in with them they probably would give it a shot but it can’t just be a random violin nerd lol.
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #654
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

This guy rocks
    Full Chicago N2 show in 4K

https://youtu.be/1A_aI_Aypdw
    Old 08-10-2021, 12:55 PM   #655
    Route_2
    What Album?

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This guy rocks
    Full Chicago N2 show in 4K

https://youtu.be/1A_aI_Aypdw
    Looks like he has N1 on his channel too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aD1vFbS5Hk
    Old 08-12-2021, 04:13 AM   #656
    BTBaboon

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

9 shows in, and we’re down to 1 tour debut per show.

75 different tunes played. Do they even break 90 this year?
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-12-2021, 05:17 AM   #657
    onesweetworld41

Shows Seen: 67

My Tour Central Stats

I'm always of two minds. One being most people on the boards are miserable and need to do anything else with their lives. The other being seeing last night's setlist and thinking we risked it all in the middle of a pandemic only to liberate Spaceman - wtf are we even doing here?
    Old 08-12-2021, 05:24 AM   #658
    BTBaboon

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onesweetworld41 View Post
    I'm always of two minds. One being most people on the boards are miserable and need to do anything else with their lives. The other being seeing last night's setlist and thinking we risked it all in the middle of a pandemic only to liberate Spaceman - wtf are we even doing here?
    It’s that, and the fact that if I’m going to spend a few hundred dollars on a night out right now, I want to optimize the value. There’s a lot of great live music being played right now; countless other options for where to spend my time and money for live music.

The type of show they played last night is pretty much the same as shows I’ve seen in 2018 and 2019. I’d prefer not to shell out the money for reruns when there’s other options available.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-12-2021, 05:48 AM   #659
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    9 shows in, and we’re down to 1 tour debut per show.

75 different tunes played. Do they even break 90 this year?
    No shocker there
    Typical DMB, once they lock in they lock in - good, bad, I different
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-12-2021, 06:04 AM   #660
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

This band does the same thing over and over, year after year, and yet people expect different results. Its insane!

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote