Official Phish Discussion - Page 1884 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 08-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #56491
BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Official Phish Discussion

They’re both fucking awesome and allow you to geek out and learn stuff whether you’re a n00b or a seasoned wook.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #56492
    SpartanPhish87

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

lol gotta love Phish fans

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/st...09619391713280
    SpartanPhish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-18-2017, 07:25 PM   #56493
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

What's everyone's favorite Foam? I know they're not all terribly different but I fucking love the 8/3/97 version from Live Bait 12
    Old 08-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #56494
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Summer 97 doesn't get enough love. I know it's under the shadow of Fall 97, but this http://phishtracks.com/shows/1997-07-23/ghost

You cannot beat this music. If that doesn't get you going then nothing will imo tbh
    Old 08-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #56495
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    Summer 97 doesn't get enough love. I know it's under the shadow of Fall 97, but this http://phishtracks.com/shows/1997-07-23/ghost

You cannot beat this music. If that doesn't get you going then nothing will imo tbh

Phenomenal ghost
    Old 08-19-2017, 06:37 AM   #56496
    crush_me_16125

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taylor36 View Post
    I've been thinking about something recently. In this thread, it seems like folks are generally supportive and excited about the current state of Phish. Phans in other arenas (i.e. PT) seem much more critical.

DMB fans on this site, are very critical about the current state of DMB. I wonder if phans who are on this phorum, who came here by way of DMB, are more likely to be excited about what Phish is doing because it looks so much better in the shadow of DMB's modus operandi.

Thoughts???
    There's no doubt that DMB isn't in the same ball park as Phish, hell they probably aren't even playing the same game. But I'm not sure to what extent DMBs mediocrity plays into the difference of opinion on the two boards; I would say very little.

I do think that the ants forum probably has more "newer" phans, and that can of course be relative (I first saw the band live in '03 and to many would still be considered a newer fan), but in general- and this certainly doesn't just apply to phish- the longer you've been a fan the more inclined you are to long for the "good ole days" and thus be more critical of the current state of affairs. I also just think it's the culture of PT, honestly it's just full of trolls and dbags. Negativity breads negativity, once that ball gets rolling it tends to snowball. To me the PT forums are worthless. But to each their own.

Regardless, if you are down on the current state of Phish then perhaps it's time to take a break and maybe even move on to something else. Because what the just did with he BD is inarguably one of the highlighting of their entire career. If you can't appreciate the BD then perhaps it's a you problem not a band problem.
    crush_me_16125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2017, 08:09 AM   #56497
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post

All of 95 and 97 are my two favorite years to listen to. Then for some reason, I'm a huge sucker for 2014-on because it's the Phish that has turned me into a mega fan.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2017, 06:36 AM   #56498
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

My Tour Central Stats

Can't believe it's been 2 years already. This weekend was a peak phish experience for me and many others

Quote:
    PHISH, FRIDAY 08/21/2015
    WATKINS GLEN INTERNATIONAL
    Watkins Glen , NY
    SET 1: Simple > The Dogs > The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Avenu Malkenu > The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Free, Happy Birthday to You, The Wedge, Mock Song, Roggae > Rift > Bathtub Gin

SET 2: Chalk Dust Torture[1] > Ghost -> Rock and Roll > Harry Hood -> Waste > No Men In No Man's Land -> Slave to the Traffic Light

ENCORE: Farmhouse, First Tube

[1] Unfinished.
    This show was webcast via LivePhish and was the first show of the Magnaball festival. Simple included a Magilla tease from Page. Bathtub Gin contained a Tequila tease from Page and Time Loves a Hero teases from Mike. TMWSIY and Avenu Malkenu were played for the first time since July 4, 2012 (124 shows). After Free, Trey asked the crowd to sing Happy Birthday to his daughter, Eliza, who briefly joined him onstage as he sang to her. Mock Song was played for the first time since July 12, 2003 (320 shows), and featured a lyric change to "Clifford, Super, Magnaball." CDT contained a What's the Use? tease and was unfinished. Hood contained a CTB tease from Mike.
    SHOW RATING
    Overall: 4.664/5 (764 ratings)
    NOTEWORTHY JAMS
    Simple, Bathtub Gin, Chalk Dust Torture, Ghost, No Men In No Man's Land
    TEASES
    Magilla tease in Simple, Cars Trucks Buses tease in Harry Hood, What's the Use? tease in Chalk Dust Torture, Tequila and Time Loves a Hero teases in Bathtub Gin
    Old 08-21-2017, 06:44 AM   #56499
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I'm into night 4 of baker's dozen. they're definitely talented and they have good grooves. I don't know if i would have enjoyed myself 100% if i were there, though. will continue to give it time. took awhile for umphrey's to click, for example, so we'll see
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #56500
    Taylor36

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

On the helping friendly podcast, they like to talk to phans about the moment where you "got it" in terms of Phish. That moment where it all clicked, and there was no turning back.

I'll start. I had a friend in middle school circa 2002 whose older brother was into Phish. My buddy loved the song Farmhouse and would play it all the time. I always thought "yeah, this is nice, but nothing special." At the time I was a "classic rock or bust" kind of guy. Zeppelin, Hendrix, Stones, etc. Eventually the Grateful Dead and Bob Marley came onto my radar, then I got into jazz via Miles Davis around 2005. Then I thought, "well I like the Dead, I like jazz/improvisational music, let's give Phish another try." I signed up for one of those cd of the month clubs where you get like 15 cd's for the price of a one-month subscription. And they counted Phish NYE '95 as 1 CD, so I was like, "hell yeah, more bang for my buck." Anyways, I put in Disc 1 in the car, windows down, the opening notes of PYITE immediately turned me into a Phan.

What's your story???

P.S. I have yet to hear another version of PYITE that compares from a sound perspective. Every other version sounds hollow in comparison to NYE 95. I'm not sure what it is...
    Taylor36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #56501
    Taylor36

My Tour Central Stats

Also, I don't know how common knowledge this is, but I'm enjoying geeking out on my stats on the ZZYZX page. If you create a profile on Phantasy Tour, then click on the shows you've been to and aggregate your stats there, when you go to "Stats" one of the links on the side will take you to "zzyzx." There are a lot of fun stats you can play with from there. I.e. "most common songs not seen." I've seen Phish 5 times, and have never seen YEM. The odds of that happening are ~10%. Also, I've seen Ha Ha Ha 3 times. That song has been played just 33 times since 95. Crazy!
    Old 08-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #56502
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    I'm into night 4 of baker's dozen. they're definitely talented and they have good grooves. I don't know if i would have enjoyed myself 100% if i were there, though. will continue to give it time. took awhile for umphrey's to click, for example, so we'll see
    Honestly, I don't believe this statement. My wife did not like Phish at all and I took her to 8/2 of the BD and she loved it. She was trying really hard to buy tickets for the weekend run after.

Quote:
    On the helping friendly podcast, they like to talk to phans about the moment where you "got it" in terms of Phish. That moment where it all clicked, and there was no turning back.

I'll start. I had a friend in middle school circa 2002 whose older brother was into Phish. My buddy loved the song Farmhouse and would play it all the time. I always thought "yeah, this is nice, but nothing special." At the time I was a "classic rock or bust" kind of guy. Zeppelin, Hendrix, Stones, etc. Eventually the Grateful Dead and Bob Marley came onto my radar, then I got into jazz via Miles Davis around 2005. Then I thought, "well I like the Dead, I like jazz/improvisational music, let's give Phish another try." I signed up for one of those cd of the month clubs where you get like 15 cd's for the price of a one-month subscription. And they counted Phish NYE '95 as 1 CD, so I was like, "hell yeah, more bang for my buck." Anyways, I put in Disc 1 in the car, windows down, the opening notes of PYITE immediately turned me into a Phan.

What's your story???

P.S. I have yet to hear another version of PYITE that compares from a sound perspective. Every other version sounds hollow in comparison to NYE 95. I'm not sure what it is...
    Hmm...

I got into Phish around 2002/2003. I was already huge into the Dave Matthews Band and liked the Grateful Dead (though not to the extent that I love them now). I had some friends that were into both Phish and DMB and told me I should give them a listen.

I decided to go to my local CD store (as you did in those days) and pick up a completely random Live Phish CD. The one I picked up was Live Phish Volume 11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Phish_Volume_11

Set list: November 17th, 1997
    Denver , CO
    SET 1: Tweezer, Reba[1], Train Song, Ghost > Fire

SET 2: Down with Disease[2] -> Olivia's Pool > Johnny B. Goode -> Jesus Just Left Chicago , When the Circus Comes, You Enjoy Myself

ENCORE: Character Zero

[1] No whistling.
    [2] Unfinished.
    Reba did not have the whistling ending and Disease was unfinished. Ghost included a Super Bad (James Brown) tease and Johnny B. Goode contained DEG teases. This show was officially released as Live Phish 11.

By the time Down with Disease was over I was completely hooked as a Phan. I went back to the store a few days later and dropped a few bills on about 6 more Live Phish volumes.

In 2003 the IT festival was announced. My friend and I decided to get tickets. However, by the time IT came around, we had already decided to hit the road for DMB and go to 9 shows that year. So we opted against going to IT (something I still regret to this day...although the 2003 DMB run was my favorite year).

In 2004 I finally made it to my first shows at SPAC. I couldn't let that be my last, so I dropped the money to go again at Camden in 2004. No regrets this time. Loved every second of it.

I stayed really into Phish for a few years, but the breakup gave me time to drift away. I focused more on DMB and other bands for a bit. Started seeing Phil Leah & Friends more. When Phish announced and made their comeback in 2009 I was not really listening to them anymore and I didn't make a huge attempt to be at the comeback shows (especially since I broke the bank to go to the "breakup run").

In 2011 I got wind that Phish was coming to PNC Arts Center and I decided to put in for the lottery just for the hell of it. I wound up scoring front row center in front of Trey. I was able to literally touch the stage! My buddy and I went and had a great time, but again, they kind of fell to the back burner after a few months.

Finally, this summer I got back into music again in a big way. I have the Grateful Dead/Dead and Company to thank for that. I got really into the Dead again thanks to the energy around their tour this summer. It inspired me to buy tickets to a lot of concert again. Among those were tickets to the BD.

After buying those tickets I started to listen to Phish a lot all summer. Once the tour was going I got pumped and picked up tickets to more nights of the BD. My experience of the BD has me totally back into Phish. It also taught me to not miss out on the greatness of this band while it is still happening. I will be at the next festival and not let this band fall off my radar again.

It is funny that for great periods of my life, Phish was the number one band I listened too. While other times in my life, I have gone long stretches without thinking about them. I don't want to let those long stretches happen again.
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #56503
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

I got Picture of Nectar in middle school because I liked DMB and Phish was like DMB so I figured why not. Probably 1998 or 1999. I didn't like it. I thought Fish's drums were annoying. Too much hi hat/ cymbal for me. There were a couple of songs I liked but overall I didn't listen to the album that much.

Then I got Farmhouse shortly after it came out and really enjoyed it. Then I went back to Picture of Nectar and loved it. Then I just slowly expanded into studio cds and then into live stuff.

I don't think there was ever a "ah ha" moment for me. I think it was gradual.

I think, but am not certain, that 10.31.1994 was my first full show I listened to. That Reba and Divided Sky did it for me.

Last edited by cazzie34; 08-21-2017 at 09:31 AM.
    cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #56504
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr. testaverde View Post
    Can't believe it's been 2 years already. This weekend was a peak phish experience for me and many others
    Seriously. Feels like yesterday. What an experience
    Old 08-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #56505
    excitingjae

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

I think I got "it" in 2001. I had started listening to a handful of Phish songs (my buddy became a fan when someone included a Phish show in a DMB B+P) I had a high school teacher who followed the band around and I asked him if he would burn me a show. He gave me Set 1 of 12/31/1999. That's what did it for me.
    Old 08-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #56506
    Taylor36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
    Honestly, I don't believe this statement. My wife did not like Phish at all and I took her to 8/2 of the BD and she loved it. She was trying really hard to buy tickets for the weekend run after.

Hmm...

I got into Phish around 2002/2003. I was already huge into the Dave Matthews Band and liked the Grateful Dead (though not to the extent that I love them now). I had some friends that were into both Phish and DMB and told me I should give them a listen.

I decided to go to my local CD store (as you did in those days) and pick up a completely random Live Phish CD. The one I picked up was Live Phish Volume 11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Phish_Volume_11

Set list: November 17th, 1997
    Denver , CO
    SET 1: Tweezer, Reba[1], Train Song, Ghost > Fire

SET 2: Down with Disease[2] -> Olivia's Pool > Johnny B. Goode -> Jesus Just Left Chicago , When the Circus Comes, You Enjoy Myself

ENCORE: Character Zero

[1] No whistling.
    [2] Unfinished.
    Reba did not have the whistling ending and Disease was unfinished. Ghost included a Super Bad (James Brown) tease and Johnny B. Goode contained DEG teases. This show was officially released as Live Phish 11.

By the time Down with Disease was over I was completely hooked as a Phan. I went back to the store a few days later and dropped a few bills on about 6 more Live Phish volumes.

In 2003 the IT festival was announced. My friend and I decided to get tickets. However, by the time IT came around, we had already decided to hit the road for DMB and go to 9 shows that year. So we opted against going to IT (something I still regret to this day...although the 2003 DMB run was my favorite year).

In 2004 I finally made it to my first shows at SPAC. I couldn't let that be my last, so I dropped the money to go again at Camden in 2004. No regrets this time. Loved every second of it.

I stayed really into Phish for a few years, but the breakup gave me time to drift away. I focused more on DMB and other bands for a bit. Started seeing Phil Leah & Friends more. When Phish announced and made their comeback in 2009 I was not really listening to them anymore and I didn't make a huge attempt to be at the comeback shows (especially since I broke the bank to go to the "breakup run").

In 2011 I got wind that Phish was coming to PNC Arts Center and I decided to put in for the lottery just for the hell of it. I wound up scoring front row center in front of Trey. I was able to literally touch the stage! My buddy and I went and had a great time, but again, they kind of fell to the back burner after a few months.

Finally, this summer I got back into music again in a big way. I have the Grateful Dead/Dead and Company to thank for that. I got really into the Dead again thanks to the energy around their tour this summer. It inspired me to buy tickets to a lot of concert again. Among those were tickets to the BD.

After buying those tickets I started to listen to Phish a lot all summer. Once the tour was going I got pumped and picked up tickets to more nights of the BD. My experience of the BD has me totally back into Phish. It also taught me to not miss out on the greatness of this band while it is still happening. I will be at the next festival and not let this band fall off my radar again.

It is funny that for great periods of my life, Phish was the number one band I listened too. While other times in my life, I have gone long stretches without thinking about them. I don't want to let those long stretches happen again.
    LP 11 ... hell of a lucky pick-up!!

That might be my favorite Set I of all time ...
    Old 08-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #56507
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

IMO set 1 is better than set 2
    Old 08-21-2017, 01:04 PM   #56508
    Carbon Copy
    Can you still have fun?

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is a pretty obvious statement considering s1 is one of the greatest sets in their history.
    Carbon Copy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #56509
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    This is a pretty obvious statement considering s1 is one of the greatest sets in their history.
    Amazing show for sure. Pretty easy to get hooked on the band with that LP!
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #56510
    K3nTaKa0s
    H2P!

My Tour Central Stats

I think 1999 might be my favorite jam of the BD run.
    K3nTaKa0s is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2017, 07:43 PM   #56511
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by K3nTaKa0s View Post
    More than I Believe in Miracles???
    WidespreadMule3 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2017, 08:15 PM   #56512
    NumberPhorty

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Did my relisten of Magnaball N1 earlier today. It really does feel like it was just yesterday. I specifically remember when Gin finished and all I thought was, 'It's only night one.' Couldn't even imagine what I was in for on the 22nd.
    NumberPhorty is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #56513
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NumberPhorty View Post
    Did my relisten of Magnaball N1 earlier today. It really does feel like it was just yesterday. I specifically remember when Gin finished and all I thought was, 'It's only night one.'. Couldn't even imagine what I was in for on the 22nd.

Bolded: perfectly stated
    Old 08-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #56514
    K3nTaKa0s
    H2P!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    More than I Believe in Miracles???
    By just a tad.
    K3nTaKa0s is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2017, 09:22 PM   #56515
    NumberPhorty

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Bolded: perfectly stated
    Listening back now, though, I should have felt that way at Roggae. One of the more underrated jams of Magnaball.
    NumberPhorty is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2017, 04:03 AM   #56516
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Unpopular opinion: Watkins Glen Gin is better than the Tweezer>Caspian.
    Old 08-22-2017, 04:15 AM   #56517
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by K3nTaKa0s View Post
    I need to listen to it more. I still haven't made my way through half of the BD.

But I would say right now my top 5:
    Crosseyed
    Lawn Boy
    Song I Heard the Ocean Sing
    Simple
    Carini
    Old 08-22-2017, 06:40 AM   #56518
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RAPUNZEL13 View Post
    Unpopular opinion: Watkins Glen Gin is better than the Tweezer>Caspian.
    I think they are neck and neck but tweezer->Caspian juuuust barely edges it out because of the "this is still Caspian?!" reaction that the entire crowd and viewers at home had
    Old 08-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #56519
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Any of you guys have the Companion Vol 3? Looking at getting one finally, but don’t want to pay an absurd amount. I’ve been stalking them on eBay for a while and it looks like they can go for $100-150ish?
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #56520
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Any of you guys have the Companion Vol 3? Looking at getting one finally, but don’t want to pay an absurd amount. I’ve been stalking them on eBay for a while and it looks like they can go for $100-150ish?
    weren't they like $39 when they were for sale???

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    phish