The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB - Page 236 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #7051
coldblueice

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

boyd likes to fiddle
coldblueice is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-20-2019, 06:54 PM   #7052
    tripeyedfish

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pbroderi86 View Post
    Amongst other things -yeah. What else does the guy have to do besides talk to his lawyer and abuse unseuspecting boys. Lol not like his music career is keeping him busy!
    Lol I would love to see it come out that this is all a cash grab and see people like you eat crow.
    tripeyedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #7053
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tripeyedfish View Post
    Lol I would love to see it come out that this is all a cash grab and see people like you eat crow.
    Just the amount of distance the band put between them and Boyd in such a short amount of time gives me serious reason to believe it’s not a cash grab. You don’t just dump a long standing member that is one of the most recognizable figures outside the lead singer without serious reason to do so. I think most people would stand behind someone they truly believed was being wrongly accused.

Also, his most recent video posts, and his past behavior at his gathering events don’t do his case any favors.

Last edited by KevinTH; 02-20-2019 at 07:56 PM.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2019, 04:58 AM   #7054
    but1well
    love baby

Shows Seen: 42

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    Just the amount of distance the band put between them and Boyd in such a short amount of time gives me serious reason to believe it’s not a cash grab. You don’t just dump a long standing member that is one of the most recognizable figures outside the lead singer without serious reason to do so. I think most people would stand behind someone they truly believed was being wrongly accused.

Also, his most recent video posts, and his past behavior at his gathering events don’t do his case any favors.
    I have a feeling that it was mostly the latter with the former being the tipping point
    This is literally the opposite of communism. Now, if they came out and cancelled all seats and said you are all to sit on the lawn, as peasant equals, you'd have an argument.
    but1well is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2019, 05:07 AM   #7055
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post

No one's saying he didn't do it. He's obviously weird. The question is consent. And only two people know where that line was (Boyd and the Boy)
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #7056
    ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I think in this climate of predatory allegations, whether ultimately true or not, the allegations alone are more than enough reason to distance yourself right away.

At the end of the day, DMB is a brand--at the end of the day, they have to protect it.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2019, 08:55 PM   #7057
    pbroderi86

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tripeyedfish View Post
    It doesn’t quite matter whether he did it or not, or whether it was a cash grab or not. Man the band couldn’t distance themselves from that guy any quicker. Lol the band was playing real cool and vague about Boyd taking time off - until the lawsuit broke. We all found out from the statement: “Though Boyd is no longer a member of the band, we are shocked by these disturbing allegations and we were not previously aware of them.”

Even if completely not found in the wrong (in a civil sense here folks - not criminal), his playing days with DMB are over. Dave was nice about it though and basically said Boyd was lazy and not attentive anyways. Moral of the story - show up to work, do your job, don’t create a sexually hostile work environment, and partake in activities that can Be perceived to get you in trouble. Shame on Boyd - he’s a very wealthy celebrity...he should know better than to keep the wrong company. PS - his side project is awful!

Last edited by pbroderi86; 02-23-2019 at 08:57 PM.
    pbroderi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #7058
    justink

Shows Seen: 51

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldblueice View Post
    boyd likes to diddle
    fixed.....
    justink is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2019, 07:56 AM   #7059
    ultravioletacro

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pbroderi86 View Post
    It doesn’t quite matter whether he did it or not, or whether it was a cash grab or not. Man the band couldn’t distance themselves from that guy any quicker. Lol the band was playing real cool and vague about Boyd taking time off - until the lawsuit broke. We all found out from the statement: “Though Boyd is no longer a member of the band, we are shocked by these disturbing allegations and we were not previously aware of them.”

Even if completely not found in the wrong (in a civil sense here folks - not criminal), his playing days with DMB are over. Dave was nice about it though and basically said Boyd was lazy and not attentive anyways. Moral of the story - show up to work, do your job, don’t create a sexually hostile work environment, and partake in activities that can Be perceived to get you in trouble. Shame on Boyd - he’s a very wealthy celebrity...he should know better than to keep the wrong company. PS - his side project is awful!
    ultravioletacro is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2019, 04:35 AM   #7060
    zellea21

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I am one of these people who are torn because of the statement of the lawyer. If Boyd would have paid then this a non story and he is on stage still...again if he is doing this then he is in the wrong either way.... but once lawyers get involved..its hell in a hand basket...

Musically...Boyd's presence is missed...you feel it in ants ...billies and other signature songs.. but the band had to do what they need to do..it is a brand .. and i think it was ok this year..

As
    zellea21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2019, 04:51 AM   #7061
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zellea21 View Post
    I am one of these people who are torn because of the statement of the lawyer. If Boyd would have paid then this a non story and he is on stage still...again if he is doing this then he is in the wrong either way.... but once lawyers get involved..its hell in a hand basket...

Musically...Boyd's presence is missed...you feel it in ants ...billies and other signature songs.. but the band had to do what they need to do..it is a brand .. and i think it was ok this year..

As
    BT has sounded like hot garbage since the early 2000's. Has he had his moments, absolutely but he never took his craft seriously, and this was a perfect way for the band to let him go.
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2019, 04:53 AM   #7062
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zellea21 View Post
    I am one of these people who are torn because of the statement of the lawyer. If Boyd would have paid then this a non story and he is on stage still...
    Maybe, maybe not
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2019, 05:07 AM   #7063
    Prezzy

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbclstj2 View Post
    BT has sounded like hot garbage since the early 2000's. Has he had his moments, absolutely but he never took his craft seriously, and this was a perfect way for the band to let him go.
    Yes but the bands big fumble was not replacing with a really great violinist. I and many others miss that sound.
    Prezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2019, 05:28 AM   #7064
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prezzy View Post
    Yes but the bands big fumble was not replacing with a really great violinist. I and many others miss that sound.
    Understood, and I miss the the violin at times too, but lets be honest with ourselves, they were phasing out the violin years ago. The even muted him on certain songs. Sure they would toss him a solo here and there but as a whole, he wasn't really utilized very much.
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2019, 05:35 AM   #7065
    Gravedigger789

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Understood, and I miss the the violin at times too, but lets be honest with ourselves, they were phasing out the violin years ago. The even muted him on certain songs. Sure they would toss him a solo here and there but as a whole, he wasn't really utilized very much.
    Couldn't agree more with this post. We haven't had a full time violin player in the mix since 2006.
    I will when I can
    Gravedigger789 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2019, 07:20 AM   #7066
    grilldanmo

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, if you listen to BW, he's barely there. Buried, almost never featured. He showed back up on AFtW, but didn't maintain it live. Or is it that he couldn't maintain it live.

His priority hasn't been his musicianship. And to an extent I can understand this with musicians, but I'm thinking either better musicians or more creative musicians.

A highly skilled musician can play great off of muscle memory and years of playing...being able to play almost anything that comes to mind and certainly their written/worked out parts. Boyd, stopped being able to that latter part consistently. As to the creative aspect, he's not a "great" songwriter and certainly not a ground breaking violinists. Sadly, DMB didn't require him to be either, but the band and the fans deserved for him to be concerned about musical performance as well as stage presence. While it's great to see players really feeling it (if, in fact they are feeling it and not just performing the feeling...not that we can always or even ever tell), but NOT at the sacrifice of the music. An impassioned performance can be executed without unnecessary movements, gestures, choreography, guitar-face, etc.

Anyway, I don't know think Boyd would still be in the band had he paid off the guy bringing the suit. I think it was another justification for his dismissal, although they claim that it wasn't part of the decision to have him "take a break".
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #7067
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

I find it weird that didn't go for a multi-instrumentalist. I'm sure there's a few players that can play excellent violin and piano. In the classical and jazz fields, it's pretty common for other instrumentalists to take up piano. They aren't looking at being Lang Lang or Monk or even Hornsby (a great pianist), but piano is basically the foundation of how music theory is taught. This way they could have added keys where they wanted AND still be able to have the violin there, or vice versa.

But as others have suggested, maybe they've decided to move away from the violin. Maybe the "wound" was that deep and got infected, so they want to stay away from anything that reminds of it. That said, every tune from the first four albums (R2T -> BTCS) as well as tLWS/BS tunes have to be reminders.
    Old 03-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #7068
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    I find it weird that didn't go for a multi-instrumentalist. I'm sure there's a few players that can play excellent violin and piano. In the classical and jazz fields, it's pretty common for other instrumentalists to take up piano. They aren't looking at being Lang Lang or Monk or even Hornsby (a great pianist), but piano is basically the foundation of how music theory is taught. This way they could have added keys where they wanted AND still be able to have the violin there, or vice versa.

But as others have suggested, maybe they've decided to move away from the violin. Maybe the "wound" was that deep and got infected, so they want to stay away from anything that reminds of it. That said, every tune from the first four albums (R2T -> BTCS) as well as tLWS/BS tunes have to be reminders.
    I have sort of thought this too. If Boyd's been an issue they've been living with for awhile, and a growing pain point in the band's sound/live performance/cohesion, then it might be hard for their feelings about him to not extend to his instrument, even sub-consciously.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #7069
    ilikecats222

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The muting is the weirdest thing about this entire situation. Because , if you listen to some of the soundboard mixes where you can hear him he's not playing poorly.

A prime example of this is the Vic firth "Bismarck" video where they have the carter cam . You can hear Boyd in that mix and he sounds fine , carter even plays off him a bit . But he's nowhere to be heard in the tape mix.

To me he just never figured out how to mesh with rashawn and Jeff. And I'm not sure who bears the blame for that . Certainly, Boyd bears some .... but there are times when they are all in sync and then 90% of the time where rashawn and Jeff were just drowning him out by playing super loud and fast .

My guess is that it was Boyd's inconsistency that was the main culprit and the rest of the guys made an executive decision to just mute him to limit bad mistakes . But , Boyd had been inconsistent for so long .... I dunno maybe the rest of the guys just had enough .

I would love to be a fly on the wall during practices and rehearsals to see what the deal is . I thought the acoustic set was a great idea ....but what they really needed was hours of acoustic practice and then sound check jams . The guys got old and even though the chops are still there more or less , the overall chemistry and blending of the instruments just doesn't exist anymore .
    ilikecats222 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2019, 06:17 AM   #7070
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Im not a fan of Ryan Adams but I was reading up about his current mess and it's easy to see why they dumped him so quickly. I still think this was some form of relationship that turned into a cash grab but either way they had to distance the brand.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #7071
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigeyedpigs View Post
    Im not a fan of Ryan Adams but I was reading up about his current mess and it's easy to see why they dumped him so quickly. I still think this was some form of relationship that turned into a cash grab but either way they had to distance the brand.
    Yes and no on the dumped him quick.
    It seems they knew of issues for yrs poss even dating back to the beginning.
    Thye only wanted to dump him once it hit the public. If they wanted to truely distance themselves they would have done it before. This distancing was a pr move
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #7072
    dpduke5173

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

The muting was bizarre. Never seen that happen to other professional musicians on stage. Remember being so pumped about how BBN and Broken Things would sound when BT would potentially come in blazin and it just never happened in fall 2012
    Old 03-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #7073
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    <div class="pre-quote">
    Quote de <strong>bigeyedpigs</strong>
    </div>

<div class="post-quote">
    <div style="font-style:italic">Im not a fan of Ryan Adams but I was reading up about his current mess and it's easy to see why they dumped him so quickly. I still think this was some form of relationship that turned into a cash grab but either way they had to distance the brand.</div>
    </div>Yes and no on the dumped him quick.<br>
    It seems they knew of issues for yrs poss even dating back to the beginning.<br>
    Thye only wanted to dump him once it hit the public. If they wanted to truely distance themselves they would have done it before. This distancing was a pr move
    Yeah I think there was some degree of knowledge, didn't management shut down Boyd's meet ups, forgot what he called them, in 14 or 15? Because of how fast they dumped him when it became public, I often wonder if management was fearing it would have ended up being worse and maybe thought other allegations could come out.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #7074
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpduke5173 View Post
    The muting was bizarre. Never seen that happen to other professional musicians on stage. Remember being so pumped about how BBN and Broken Things would sound when BT would potentially come in blazin and it just never happened in fall 2012
    Same here. Broken Things has such nice violin work on it. So nice, I doubted it was Boyd. Did we ever find out if that was a session musician, or is it miraculously Boyd?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Old 03-05-2019, 06:49 AM   #7075
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    Same here. Broken Things has such nice violin work on it. So nice, I doubted it was Boyd. Did we ever find out if that was a session musician, or is it miraculously Boyd?

I think Boyd was much better in the studio in the late years than he was live.In the studio they can do take after take and edit minor flaws to make it sound perfect. It's not in the moment like a live show where if he's off it shows.
    Old 03-05-2019, 06:55 AM   #7076
    CrazyEasy354

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post

I think it was Boyd. Lillywhite has mentioned that Boyd takes some special attention to coax take out of him (I'm paraphrasing, obviously). So I wouldn't surprised if Lillywhite just knows how to work with him and was able to get some solid takes for AFTW.
    Old 03-05-2019, 09:07 AM   #7077
    BringBackButchT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpduke5173 View Post
    Yeah that is a pretty bold move. I'd love to know the story behind that. With all the guys on in-ears it's conceivable that the band didn't know.
    BringBackButchT is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #7078
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrazyEasy354 View Post
    I think it was Boyd. Lillywhite has mentioned that Boyd takes some special attention to coax take out of him (I'm paraphrasing, obviously). So I wouldn't surprised if Lillywhite just knows how to work with him and was able to get some solid takes for AFTW.
    If it wasn't Boyd, it was someone brought in that was directed to mimic his nuances. It was almost definitely Boyd...getting the best out of him is one of Lillywhite's claim to fame (self proclamation).

We were listening to AFtW yesterday after having listened to BW a few times recently. Amazing how the violin just showed back up on AFtW...the only changed variable was Lillywhite at the helm. I dig Cavallo's work with the band, but not unlike every other producer that wasn't Lillywhite or Alagia (the latter based on the production of R2T) he doesn't really know how to feature the horns or violin. And what's especially important is the sound they make together. The band figured this out quite well through performance and Alagia and Lillywhite mastered capturing it and inspiring it in the studio.
    Old 03-05-2019, 09:43 AM   #7079
    CrazyEasy354

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    If it wasn't Boyd, it was someone brought in that was directed to mimic his nuances. It was almost definitely Boyd...getting the best out of him is one of Lillywhite's claim to fame (self proclamation).

We were listening to AFtW yesterday after having listened to BW a few times recently. Amazing how the violin just showed back up on AFtW...the only changed variable was Lillywhite at the helm. I dig Cavallo's work with the band, but not unlike every other producer that wasn't Lillywhite or Alagia (the latter based on the production of R2T) he doesn't really know how to feature the horns or violin. And what's especially important is the sound they make together. The band figured this out quite well through performance and Alagia and Lillywhite mastered capturing it and inspiring it in the studio.
    Well said!
    Old 03-05-2019, 09:43 AM   #7080
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BringBackButchT View Post
    Yeah that is a pretty bold move. I'd love to know the story behind that. With all the guys on in-ears it's conceivable that the band didn't know.
    Imagine if it was Boyd...just wanted to keep it under wraps until it was really needed or maybe wanting to minimize his work load?

I can't actually imagine that, but conspiracy theories can be fun.