The Lost Decade: 7 Songs in 10 Years - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-29-2022, 10:51 AM   #31
kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Lost Decade: 7 Songs in 10 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine416 View Post
Unfortunately due to crowds quiet songs live just don't pan out well. SFTW a good example of this. I remember watching it at home on the webcast, I had just seen one of the videos of someone playing music from their balcony during the pandemic, it really resonated with me that day.

Fast forward to 2021 - Dave - "singing from the windows shadow on the wa-" Drunk lady behind me- "WOOOOOO YEAH DAVE GET ITTTTTT"

So yeah I generally don't enjoy songs in that setting if I can't enjoy them.
thats my point youre essentially agreeing with

SFTW is a good song, it resonates with you. Just because it doesnt translate live with a drunk lady screaming in your ear and it being quiet, shouldnt take away from the song itself.

listening to it at home its a good song, it shouldnt be labled bad from a songwriting perspective and a knock on Daves ability as a writer

So ya maybe going to a show youre not hoping to hear it in a sense because of that case, but the song itself is still good and should be labeled as such
kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-29-2022, 10:56 AM   #32
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    thats my point youre essentially agreeing with

SFTW is a good song, it resonates with you. Just because it doesnt translate live with a drunk lady screaming in your ear and it being quiet, shouldnt take away from the song itself.

listening to it at home its a good song, it shouldnt be labled bad from a songwriting perspective and a knock on Daves ability as a writer

So ya maybe going to a show youre not hoping to hear it in a sense because of that case
    , but the song itself is still good and should be labeled as such
    And that is my point...
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 11:17 AM   #33
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Loud and obnoxious fans have been an issue at maybe 2 of the 31 DMB shows I've been to, 2/2 when it comes to D&T
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 11:44 AM   #34
    Miller9

Shows Seen: 101

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Just listened to the Hollywood Bowl version of Something to tell my baby, the song just doesn't have any lyrical flow. It reminds me a lot of Baby from Some Devil with the strings. But in my opinion the lyrics just do not flow with the music what so ever its just a jumbled mess of continuous words.

As a side note, I was criticized for being so critical of Dave's lyrics over the last 10-15 years and its simply due to the fact Dave has written lyrical masterpieces (in my opinion) like Seek Up, Stone, You Never Know, What You Are and Dreaming Tree. Then we get these songs that just have no life or imagination to them, lyrically they are just very one dimensional.
    Miller9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 11:54 AM   #35
    kelchlsm

My Tour Central Stats

Walk Around the Moon is some of Dave's best lyrics IMO

Its almost imposible to describe what a psychedelic trip is like, and Dave gets it pretty spot on in describing it in his song with life and imagination to it
    Old 09-29-2022, 12:19 PM   #36
    stlbluespower
    DMB 2012

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Its almost imposible to describe what a psychedelic trip is like, and Dave gets it pretty spot on in describing it in his song with life and imagination to it
    I'll take your word that he nailed something I've never experienced. Regardless, I do like the lyrics and also like MME's lyrics. It's pretty much a refreshing change when it's not all love and baby, etc. Ocean & Butterfly is also lyrically fine. Windows, too. TOT, not so much.
    stlbluespower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 12:32 PM   #37
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

It's humorous people get caught up on Plastic Girl when it was only played twice and in the same year, 7 years ago. The hate for STTMB I understand a bit more. That was played 9 times.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 12:57 PM   #38
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    For a different perspective, to play devils advocate-

in the ten years since AFTW has been recorded DMB has written and performed 16 songs (i did this quick could be missing more):

Samurai Cop
    She
    Virginia in the Rain
    Again & Again
    Black & Blue Bird
    Do You Remember
    Come Tomorrow
    Bismark
    Death on the High Seas
    Madmens Eyes
    Ocean and the Butterfly
    Plastic Girl
    The Only Thing
    Singing from the Windows
    Something to tell My Baby
    Walk Around the Moon

of those 16 songs i enjoy:

Samurai Cop, Virginia in the Rain, Black and Blue Bird, Again and Again, Do You Remember, Bismark, Death on the High Seas, Madmens Eyes, Ocean and the Butterfly, Singing from the Windows, Something to tell My Baby, Walk Around the Moon

Songs i could take or leave:

Come Tomorrow, The Only Thing, She

Songs I hate:

Plastic Girl

Still a pretty good track record if you ask me
    Hey now, dont be forgetting Be Yourself. That makes 17 songs. And as abysmal as the intro and vocals for Be Yourself were, there was some good funk going on in the music in the background. Such a bizarre song.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 01:18 PM   #39
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    Absolutely false. They just don't record and/or release a good amount of the songs he writes on studio albums.
    Part of the problem is they aren’t releasing live versions of these songs either, let alone studio versions. I should’t have to listen to a taper pull of Death on the High Seas. I know DMB fans (friends/family) who don’t even remember what Bismarck sounds like. If it were on a Live Trax and/or a Warehouse disc, it would be a song in DMBs canon. As it stands, it’s simply a song that was played on one tour 6-7 years ago.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 01:19 PM   #40
    Alpine416

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Loud and obnoxious fans have been an issue at maybe 2 of the 31 DMB shows I've been to, 2/2 when it comes to D&T
    So in the quieter more intimate setting it has been an issue more?
    Old 09-29-2022, 01:28 PM   #41
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So in the quieter more intimate setting it has been an issue more?

People are idiots, it is what it is
    Old 09-29-2022, 02:39 PM   #42
    NewOrleans

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Miller9 View Post
    Just listened to the Hollywood Bowl version of Something to tell my baby, the song just doesn't have any lyrical flow. It reminds me a lot of Baby from Some Devil with the strings. But in my opinion the lyrics just do not flow with the music what so ever its just a jumbled mess of continuous words.

As a side note, I was criticized for being so critical of Dave's lyrics over the last 10-15 years and its simply due to the fact Dave has written lyrical masterpieces (in my opinion) like Seek Up, Stone, You Never Know, What You Are and Dreaming Tree. Then we get these songs that just have no life or imagination to them, lyrically they are just very one dimensional.
    Agree with you. I am a Dave Matthews enthusiast and I rarely see him do wrong when it comes to songwriting, as I just some flac for thinking She is a good song.

That aside, this is not a song. I think it's a bit assuming of him to just be at the level he's at and put out whatever this is. Like if a friend came to me and said hey I have this song "Something to tell my baby", and I heard what it is, I don't know if I could lie and say I thought it was good. I'd likely say "hmmm, good attempt, but it needs more structure, melody, words to make it a song."

I don't know, knowing Dave's mindset sometimes I would argue he's challenging people with "what a song is". He thinks its probably a bit funny to hear the audience grumble at it when it's played. Like hahaha, this is my new idea, I've finally written a "tiny lyddle sawng, and it's really not even a song it's so tiny"
    NewOrleans is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 02:46 PM   #43
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Dave took Billy Joel's approach. I forget the exact quote but he basically said he didn't need to write anything new because the world heard enough of him. If you haven't read it look it up, it's kinda interesting. The last good to great album they released was twenty years ago and the studio projects have been debacle since 2000.
    It's a shame because they have good songs sitting on a shelf, he'd rather release and then play bottom of the catalogue stuff.
    Some of the "newer" songs are so bad it makes me wonder if he actually wrote or had help with alot of the earlier ones.

Last edited by bigeyedpigs; 09-29-2022 at 02:49 PM.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 02:49 PM   #44
    kmbean

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Imagine being a 55 year old multimillionaire writing songs about eating mushrooms.
    kmbean is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 09:02 PM   #45
    Alpine416

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigeyedpigs View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Dave took Billy Joel's approach. I forget the exact quote but he basically said he didn't need to write anything new because the world heard enough of him. If you haven't read it look it up, it's kinda interesting. The last good to great album they released was twenty years ago and the studio projects have been debacle since 2000.
    It's a shame because they have good songs sitting on a shelf, he'd rather release and then play bottom of the catalogue stuff.
    Some of the "newer" songs are so bad it makes me wonder if he actually wrote or had help with alot of the earlier ones.
    The funny thing is the could absolutely go this route but have instead gone down the path of saying they have new exciting music they want to show the world but have long drawn out studio processes and releases that produce lackluster results. So odd.
    Old 09-29-2022, 11:48 PM   #46
    kelchlsm

My Tour Central Stats

Lol this board sometimes is so insufferable

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewOrleans View Post
    Agree with you. I am a Dave Matthews enthusiast and I rarely see him do wrong when it comes to songwriting, as I just some flac for thinking She is a good song.

That aside, this is not a song. I think it's a bit assuming of him to just be at the level he's at and put out whatever this is. Like if a friend came to me and said hey I have this song "Something to tell my baby", and I heard what it is, I don't know if I could lie and say I thought it was good. I'd likely say "hmmm, good attempt, but it needs more structure, melody, words to make it a song."

I don't know, knowing Dave's mindset sometimes I would argue he's challenging people with "what a song is". He thinks its probably a bit funny to hear the audience grumble at it when it's played. Like hahaha, this is my new idea, I've finally written a "tiny lyddle sawng, and it's really not even a song it's so tiny"
    Not to be morbid here- I could easily play this song with the quartet orchestra (like Hollywood bowl) and have everyone at a funeral sobbing- two minute song not trying to break the dictionary with words but relatable, and makes people feel something. I think this is the way Dave intended, and it’s simplistic not trying to be more than that. Only hardcore Dave fans would hate it from this site cause it fucks up the set they’re watching at home

Quote:
    Terrible take. Might be time for you to move on. There are better bands out there and dmbs fallen down in my playlists as a result personally as well- but I’ll always welcome new songs in their repertoire. Madmens eyes, walk around the moon, sftw, ocean and the butterfly etc are not so bad if you think so that’s more of a you problem

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmbean View Post
    Imagine being a 55 year old multimillionaire writing songs about eating mushrooms.
    Ok? lol, imagine

Quote:
    The funny thing is the could absolutely go this route but have instead gone down the path of saying they have new exciting music they want to show the world but have long drawn out studio processes and releases that produce lackluster results. So odd.
    Here alpines daily chime dmb hasn’t released a studio album in his timeframe and wants it now!
    Old 09-30-2022, 05:32 AM   #47
    tripeyedfish

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewOrleans View Post
    This is what I imagine when I’m at a show after driving 8 hours and paying for tickets that, while they are probably fair compared to other shows, are still overpriced…..and getting songs like this from the guy who could fill a setlist with lyrical magic… it’s unfortunate
    tripeyedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 05:47 AM   #48
    tripeyedfish

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Terrible take. Might be time for you to move on. There are better bands out there and dmbs fallen down in my playlists as a result personally as well- but I’ll always welcome new songs in their repertoire. Madmens eyes, walk around the moon, sftw, ocean and the butterfly etc are not so bad if you think so that’s more of a you problem
    Lol…brutal take… some of the songs you mentioned are indeed good, but it’s ok if other people don’t want to listen to Dave struggle to squeak out words to a song that is not very interesting musically or lyrically (in their opinion)… especially considering what he is capable of.

Last edited by tripeyedfish; 09-30-2022 at 05:48 AM.
    tripeyedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 06:32 AM   #49
    #40BigEyedFish

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

this aint the 90s or 00s this band is now bordering on a nostalgia act, ergo don't expect a new album every 2 years like the old days
    #40BigEyedFish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 07:50 AM   #50
    Alpine416

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What exactly do you think an online forum is for other than sharing information, opinions, etc? Of course its going to be insufferable if you approach each comment from the perspective it has to align with your belief or you go on trying to get everyone who doesn't align with your view to "move on" from the band. Some people can have opinions including critiques and still love the band. Maybe if you can't handle that you should move on from this site.
    Old 09-30-2022, 12:04 PM   #51
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I can just imagine some fan at the Gorge N3 this year being like "wow this encore is amazing but.....tHeY hAvE ONlY reCoRdeD 7 SonGs iN 10 yEArS!!!"
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 12:09 PM   #52
    karczews41

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I hadn't considered that the OP's premise before. That certainly puts things in a bit of a different perspective for me.
    karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2022, 04:16 AM   #53
    bigeyedpigs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Not to be morbid here- I could easily play this song with the quartet orchestra (like Hollywood bowl) and have everyone at a funeral sobbing- two minute song not trying to break the dictionary with words but relatable, and makes people feel something. I think this is the way Dave intended, and it’s simplistic not trying to be more than that. Only hardcore Dave fans would hate it from this site cause it fucks up the set they’re watching at home

Ok? lol, imagine

Here alpines daily chime dmb hasn’t released a studio album in his timeframe and wants it now!
    In alot of ways I already have moved moved on. The last show I saw the main set closed with ct, stand up and bayou, brutal. There's no violin, more then half of the good songs sound like shit and as the op stated look at the track record the last ten years. Its actually worse going back to 03 because with exception of, maybe big whiskey, the albums they put out border on unlistenable. The new songs that may or may not be on an album a year or five from now do nothing for me. I still listen to the older stuff and enjoy it but this band has had no direction since 2000. Instead of releasing songs you know the fans want to hear, it'll be some Dave shtick about playing what he wants. After twenty years of this I don't see how more people don't check out.
    Old 10-01-2022, 04:38 AM   #54
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In alot of ways I already have moved moved on. The last show I saw the main set closed with ct, stand up and bayou, brutal. There's no violin, more then half of the good songs sound like shit and as the op stated look at the track record the last ten years. Its actually worse going back to 03 because with exception of, maybe big whiskey, the albums they put out border on unlistenable. The new songs that may or may not be on an album a year or five from now do nothing for me. I still listen to the older stuff and enjoy it but this band has had no direction since 2000. Instead of releasing songs you know the fans want to hear, it'll be some Dave shtick about playing what he wants. After twenty years of this I don't see how more people don't check out.

Maybe other people didn't have their last show end with those three songs, love how the band sounds, and are excited about the new songs?
    Old 10-01-2022, 05:59 AM   #55
    hopewelljones

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    For me PM is easily a top 25 DMB song and always a +1
    . Top ten for me prolly.

“I went to the city; car horns, corners, and the gritty” is one of my favorite lines ever.
    hopewelljones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2022, 06:16 AM   #56
    bigeyedpigs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Maybe other people didn't have their last show end with those three songs, love how the band sounds, and are excited about the new songs?
    Oh im sure and wouldn't fault them for that, everyone's tastes are different. What i meant by the statement you bolded was since 2000 everytime they are going to release an album, there is always some nonsense attached to it and the product that is released, if it even i released. But if it is it won't have the songs you hoped for or the best parts are cut or something else. This has been happening for over twenty years, that's why I don't see getting excited for an album at this point. It's almost like being a jet fan and being pumped for the season to start, so they can win four games.
    Old 10-01-2022, 07:20 AM   #57
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh im sure and wouldn't fault them for that, everyone's tastes are different. What i meant by the statement you bolded was since 2000 everytime they are going to release an album, there is always some nonsense attached to it and the product that is released, if it even i released. But if it is it won't have the songs you hoped for or the best parts are cut or something else. This has been happening for over twenty years, that's why I don't see getting excited for an album at this point. It's almost like being a jet fan and being pumped for the season to start, so they can win four games.

I see where you are coming from but the regular season for the Jets isn't equivalent to studio work for DMB, the band doesn't have studio work as the pass / fail mark each year. They are a live band and can have great shows without playing new music, some would argue the less pre-2004 songs in a set the worse it likely will be. I think a lot of excitement is still there for remaining fans due to how they play the songs they love, clearly it would be better if they kept releasing albums on the same tier as the earlier ones with music that translated to their live show as much as those did.
    Old 10-01-2022, 07:38 AM   #58
    bigeyedpigs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I see where you are coming from but the regular season for the Jets isn't equivalent to studio work for DMB, the band doesn't have studio work as the pass / fail mark each year. They are a live band and can have great shows without playing new music, some would argue the less pre-2004 songs in a set the worse it likely will be. I think a lot of excitement is still there for remaining fans due to how they play the songs they love, clearly it would be better if they kept releasing albums on the same tier as the earlier ones with music that translated to their live show as much as those did.
    That's pretty much what my initial post referring to Billy Joel meant. If you haven't read the article you should.
    I would say though they have had great songs that they could have released they just choose not to. Jackpot, adsr, break free, break for it, shotgun, bismark I think are all on a tier with the older songs, they choose to release songs like hunger and belly full instead. Actually they don't even have to write new songs they could play the ones from some devil full band people have wanted to hear for the past two decades.
    Old 10-01-2022, 07:46 AM   #59
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Again and Again, Black and snooze bird, here on out are all good songs.
    Old 10-01-2022, 08:05 AM   #60
    bigeyedpigs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    Again and Again, Black and snooze bird, here on out are all good songs.
    I actually think black and blue bird is the best song they've written in a long time. I don't care for it on the album, but that letterman version I've listened to many times