*Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling) - Page 11783 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #353461
coldengrey12
St. Vincent Sometimes
 
coldengrey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 38,052

Shows Seen: 71

Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
Well, it's pretty clear she thought she had a taser in her hand.

It's an absolutely horrible mistake. And she will pay a price for it.
Skeptical
coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #353462
    jcc522
    Take Warning
     
    jcc522's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: NC
    Posts: 16,859

    Shows Seen: 3

    *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    You are responsible for every bullet you fire, even if you negligently fire it. There was nothing malicious about it. She still did it though. She’ll do some small time.



    What was the guys warrant for? Why do people still think they are somehow going to win by resisting?
    __________________
    24601
    IG
    jcc522 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #353463
    drop2d
     
    drop2d's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: NH
    Posts: 27,356

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    I think it's fair to expect a "very senior" police officer to know the difference between her gun and her taser 100% of the time. If she can't, she should be pushing paper.
    I also wonder if she was a 'paper pusher' for the most part... and this was just her random day out in the field
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonzo48280 View Post
    I'd rather be wearing an American Flag T-shirt blasting Foreigner through a boombox in Pyongyang than ever set foot in St Louis ever again.
    drop2d is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #353464
    Antiramie
     
    Antiramie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Sarasota, FL
    Posts: 12,106

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    I haven't really followed what the "uproar" in Minny is after this...but even an accidental police killing of a black man in the same city where a police officer is currently on trial for murdering a black man (and 3 others await trial for their involvement), which sparked nation-wide protests last summer, looks really really REALLY bad.

    I don't think citizens are going to be content with "Oh, they're only accidentally killing folks now! Carry on...", especially when police reform in general (training, funding, etc) has been as big of an issue as police brutality/racism.

    Last edited by Antiramie; 04-12-2021 at 03:10 PM.
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:09 PM   #353465
    trd1610
     
    trd1610's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Posts: 5,280

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Climb2safety View Post
    Care to elaborate on your reason here?
    because the police lie, habitually, and only have an incentive to protect themselves
    trd1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:10 PM   #353466
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator
     
    ExistenceNow's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Austin, Tx
    Posts: 84,992

    Shows Seen: 108

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcc522 View Post
    You are responsible for every bullet you fire, even if you negligently fire it. There was nothing malicious about it. She still did it though. She’ll do some small time.

    What was the guys warrant for? Why do people still think they are somehow going to win by resisting?

    "gross misdemeanor carrying a pistol without a permit and misdemeanor fleeing police."


    https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota...we-know-so-far
    __________________
    -Matthew
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:11 PM   #353467
    trd1610
     
    trd1610's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Posts: 5,280

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
    Resisting arrest is a crime. Reaching back into the car is a dumb move, every time.
    and the punishment for resisting arrest is not a death sentence
    trd1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:11 PM   #353468
    Rodey
    #FearTheDeer
     
    Rodey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 76,774

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    I haven't followed what the "uproar" in Minny is after this...but even an accidental police killing of a black man in the same city where a police officer is currently on trial for murdering a black man, which sparked nation-wide protests last summer, looks really really REALLY bad.

    I don't think citizens are going to be content with "Oh, they're only accidentally killing folks now! Carry on...", especially when police reform in general (training, funding, etc) has been as big of an issue as police brutality/racism.
    I think the issue is that you are never going to prevent accidents like this from happening, regardless of the level of training. That's just an unfortunate fact of a scenario like the one that just occurred.

    And I disagree that police reform, in general, has been as big of a part of the messaging than brutality/racism. At least not in the past year.
    __________________
    Jordan
    "I'll tell you what: I'm never eating at Benihana again. I don't care whose birthday it is."
    Rodey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #353469
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator
     
    ExistenceNow's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Austin, Tx
    Posts: 84,992

    Shows Seen: 108

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    Now that I think about it... what if she was intentionally holding her gun, didn't mention taser at all, would she still be in the wrong?

    That's an argument they might could have made, that the shooting was justified because he was reaching into the car/could have used the car as a weapon. But that's out the window because in thinking she had her taser, she obviously didn't believe the situation warranted deadly force.
    __________________
    -Matthew
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #353470
    jcc522
    Take Warning
     
    jcc522's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: NC
    Posts: 16,859

    Shows Seen: 3

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    "gross misdemeanor carrying a pistol without a permit and misdemeanor fleeing police."


    https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota...we-know-so-far

    SMH.

    Wish dude had made better choices. The officer that was trying to cuff made a mistakes too. All around, shitty situation.
    __________________
    24601
    IG
    jcc522 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #353471
    TheLastPig
     
    TheLastPig's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 45,968

    Shows Seen: 53

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)



    Its an opinion piece, but good god they dont even attempt to hide the double standard here.

    https://thehill.com/opinion/immigrat...s-a-good-thing

    Biden is thinking about building that wall — and that's a good thing
    __________________
    WVU


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.

    Last edited by TheLastPig; 04-12-2021 at 03:15 PM.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #353472
    trd1610
     
    trd1610's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Posts: 5,280

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    I think the issue is that you are never going to prevent accidents like this from happening, regardless of the level of training. That's just an unfortunate fact of a scenario like the one that just occurred.

    And I disagree that police reform, in general, has been as big of a part of the messaging than brutality/racism. At least not in the past year.
    one way to prevent it would be not having armed officers in charge of traffic violations
    trd1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #353473
    drop2d
     
    drop2d's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: NH
    Posts: 27,356

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcc522 View Post
    SMH.

    Wish dude had made better choices. The officer that was trying to cuff made a mistakes too. All around, shitty situation.
    Yeah, wtf was he doing?
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonzo48280 View Post
    I'd rather be wearing an American Flag T-shirt blasting Foreigner through a boombox in Pyongyang than ever set foot in St Louis ever again.
    drop2d is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #353474
    Antiramie
     
    Antiramie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Sarasota, FL
    Posts: 12,106

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    I think the issue is that you are never going to prevent accidents like this from happening, regardless of the level of training. That's just an unfortunate fact of a scenario like the one that just occurred.

    And I disagree that police reform, in general, has been as big of a part of the messaging than brutality/racism. At least not in the past year.
    It happening in the context I provided is vastly different than just "accidents will happen" in a vacuum where police don't have shitty track records for eons.

    "Defund the police" became a monstrous issue that wasn't just about police brutality/racism...it started tons of conversations about police training, funding, response, etc.

    Last edited by Antiramie; 04-12-2021 at 03:16 PM.
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #353475
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator
     
    ExistenceNow's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Austin, Tx
    Posts: 84,992

    Shows Seen: 108

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcc522 View Post
    SMH.

    Wish dude had made better choices. The officer that was trying to cuff made a mistakes too. All around, shitty situation.

    I thought it took him quite a while to get around to cuffing him. Also, shouldn't he close the driver's door?
    __________________
    -Matthew
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #353476
    drop2d
     
    drop2d's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: NH
    Posts: 27,356

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trd1610 View Post
    one way to prevent it would be not having armed officers in charge of traffic violations
    Or have people committing crimes.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonzo48280 View Post
    I'd rather be wearing an American Flag T-shirt blasting Foreigner through a boombox in Pyongyang than ever set foot in St Louis ever again.
    drop2d is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:19 PM   #353477
    drakan
     
    drakan's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2017
    Location: Maple tree to table.
    Posts: 16,155

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmuskie View Post
    Drak refuses to read anything and misrepresents everything.
    You're projecting and having mandy do your homework to save your butt. Post the CDC study again.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjordan319 View Post
    This is drakan's thread we're all just posting in it
    Wear yo mask.
    drakan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:21 PM   #353478
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal
     
    cazzie34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: Where Bucky Roams
    Posts: 27,289

    Shows Seen: 9

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmuskie View Post
    Riots already happened last night.
    And I'm going to go against my advice and predict that we won't see much more rioting from this incident now that the facts are out.

    Setting myself up for a dunk.
    cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:22 PM   #353479
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind
     
    Join Date: Feb 2014
    Posts: 29,479

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trd1610 View Post
    because the police lie, habitually, and only have an incentive to protect themselves
    This is true.

    But wasn’t the question/issue.

    The question was why he assumed the officer intentionally killed him. As in, all officers are looking for any excuse to shoot a black person (in the back) and so did this one.

    I understand why some people feel this way. Was just trying to dig a little deeper.
    __________________

    This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:24 PM   #353480
    coldengrey12
    St. Vincent Sometimes
     
    coldengrey12's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: Bay Area
    Posts: 38,052

    Shows Seen: 71

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post


    Its an opinion piece, but good god they dont even attempt to hide the double standard here.

    https://thehill.com/opinion/immigrat...s-a-good-thing

    Biden is thinking about building that wall — and that's a good thing


    Liberals soon: "You know what the Supreme Court needs? MORE conservative judges, don't you think?"
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:25 PM   #353481
    drakan
     
    drakan's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2017
    Location: Maple tree to table.
    Posts: 16,155

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmuskie View Post
    Anyone want to talk about the riots? I’m guessing not.
    We've covered DC extensively.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjordan319 View Post
    This is drakan's thread we're all just posting in it
    Wear yo mask.
    drakan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:26 PM   #353482
    Antiramie
     
    Antiramie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Sarasota, FL
    Posts: 12,106

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    And I'm going to go against my advice and predict that we won't see much more rioting from this incident now that the facts are out.

    Setting myself up for a dunk.
    I think there's way more people sick of police killing people, accidental or intentional, than you're giving credit for.

    When we argue for better gun control when mass shootings happen, should accidental deaths caused by improper gun use/storage not be taken into account and cause outrage too?

    People are fucking over unnecessary deaths, in a year when unnecessary deaths in this country are near/at an all time high.

    Again, I can't speak for whether the protests/riots are justified, because I haven't really caught up yet, but this shit is getting old.

    Last edited by Antiramie; 04-12-2021 at 03:27 PM.
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:27 PM   #353483
    drakan
     
    drakan's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2017
    Location: Maple tree to table.
    Posts: 16,155

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post

    "Defund the police" became a monstrous issue that wasn't just about police brutality/racism
    Aside from many Republican issues it really wasn't a thing.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjordan319 View Post
    This is drakan's thread we're all just posting in it
    Wear yo mask.
    drakan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:30 PM   #353484
    Antiramie
     
    Antiramie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Sarasota, FL
    Posts: 12,106

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Aside from many Republican issues it really wasn't a thing.
    Disagree...there were plenty of lefties and independents in here and around the country discussing the quality and contents of that messaging too.

    Last edited by Antiramie; 04-12-2021 at 03:31 PM.
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:43 PM   #353485
    drakan
     
    drakan's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2017
    Location: Maple tree to table.
    Posts: 16,155

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    Disagree...there were plenty of lefties and independents in here and around the country discussing the quality and contents of that messaging too.
    Nobody wanted to defund the police and most of the time the conversation was because conservatives were saying that Democrats were saying so no more police. So the conversation never really went beyond that.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjordan319 View Post
    This is drakan's thread we're all just posting in it
    Wear yo mask.
    drakan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #353486
    mandy18
     
    mandy18's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2002
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 7,181

    Shows Seen: 47

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    You're projecting and having mandy do your homework to save your butt. Post the CDC study again.
    Here’s the thing. When people post things in here that I’d like to read more about, or I’d like to see if they’re wrong or right, but they don’t provide a link, I go to google and find it for myself. It’s pretty easy.
    mandy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:47 PM   #353487
    TwoStep2888
    you know the thing
     
    TwoStep2888's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: WI
    Posts: 64,763

    Shows Seen: 7

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Nobody wanted to defund the police and most of the time the conversation was because conservatives were saying that Democrats were saying so no more police. So the conversation never really went beyond that.
    a lot of people, myself included, wanted to -- and still want to -- defund the police
    __________________
    twitter | instagram | letterboxd | Prompter Crew 2004-life
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    TwoStepnumbers is the best. he brings all his equipment on the bus. You can't fuck with that guy.
    seatbelts.
    TwoStep2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:49 PM   #353488
    DMBstandUP1984
    Swiftie
     
    DMBstandUP1984's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Posts: 67,011

    Shows Seen: 33

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    The Sox/Twins game wasn’t postponed for “safety reasons” no idea why espn said it was. That’s not in the statement the twins released
    __________________
    What I like about cowboy hats is, they seem to really protect you from the sun and progressive ideas.- Joe List
    DMBstandUP1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:51 PM   #353489
    ricky towel
    The King
     
    ricky towel's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Posts: 5,750

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
    Every mistake you've made at your job was due to incompetence and bad training?


    The stakes are different for police, but they are still human.
    My mistakes don’t end up with people shot to death.
    ricky towel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 03:51 PM   #353490
    trd1610
     
    trd1610's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Posts: 5,280

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Nobody wanted to defund the police and most of the time the conversation was because conservatives were saying that Democrats were saying so no more police. So the conversation never really went beyond that.
    drak man, this just isn't true.

    are you saying no democratic lawmakers? are you saying no democratic voters? are you saying no democratic activists?

    define your population here.

    in any of those groups, there are absolutely discussions and viewpoints along a spectrum of "reform and additional funding is needed" to "we need to reduce funding and allocate elsewhere" to "we need to abolish the police".

    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/o...nd-police.html

    "Yes, We Mean Literally Abolish the Police. Because reform won't happen" - Mariame Kaba

    we can have a discussion as to how prominent or mainstream each of those views are.

    i would say kaba's goal of abolition is definitively the minority opinion on the left.
    trd1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram