New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 254 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-17-2022, 11:10 AM   #7591
Cptn. Monkeyman
Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatFreakGeek View Post
2 months? they were hyping it at the first sirius friday night concert back in june or july.
Yeah, I should’ve said as recent as 2 months. We heard about it on Sirius at the start of the tour and even before that in 2020 with Dave & Carter in the studio
Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-17-2022, 11:13 AM   #7592
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    Yeah, I should’ve said as recent as 2 months. We heard about it on Sirius at the start of the tour and even before that in 2020 with Dave & Carter in the studio
    What did they say in the past two months? I think I missed that.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2022, 11:17 AM   #7593
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    What did they say in the past two months? I think I missed that.
    Band members were interviewed on SiriusXM before the MSG (I think?) show. They mentioned working on the new album
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2022, 11:24 AM   #7594
    madhatter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    Band members were interviewed on SiriusXM before the MSG (I think?) show. They mentioned working on the new album
    Oh, maybe I did hear that. I remember the interviews before the first July show definitely.
    Old 01-17-2022, 11:28 AM   #7595
    madhatter

My Tour Central Stats

Just saw in the tour rumor post that the tour announcement that was expected this week has been pushed off to early February. So, probably means a delay in any album news as well, since there was an expectation they would be announced together.
    Old 01-17-2022, 11:34 AM   #7596
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I do this to myself every album for the last 17 years or so, but I believe this band has another successful album in them that fans old and new love. Please let this be it. So far, the new songs have all pointed to at least having some good songs on this album. Only Thing is the only one I’m iffy on, but even that one still has a killer riff and groove that’s good for what it is.

As others have said, this seems to be the first album in some time that doesn’t have some negative internal conflict surrounding it. At this point this is an entirely different band than the original line up so I feel Dave wears the brunt of the pressure have to written some really good tunes. But I love seeing Carter doing things like playing brushes on Ocean and the Butterfly, and Buddy seems to be settling in nicely over the last couple years. Interested to hear what THIS band does. It will benefit them to just be the band they are now.
    I think this was BW when it came out. Time hasn't been kind enough to it because the band really relied on it too heavily in setlists, and "the moment" for it maybe has passed for some. But that album fit this sentiment when it came out- we all came together to praise it out of love for Roi and the band. Where the opinion will split is that I still think it's a great album, and one that hasn't been topped since... yet. BW is also the last album that Dave/the band were truly proud of. Dave said if it were his last album, it's the only album he wanted people to hear.

All that aside, I agree about feeling a little desperate for another hit with the hardcores and casuals alike. Even if we counted AFTW in this category (I've never been a big fan of it), it's still been 10 years since a strong output. I have a strong feeling this next album will be it. And if it's not- then I think we'll have a pretty definitive answer about whether there ever CAN be an album the hardcores all love.

Tangent aside, I'm just so excited to hear this album. I hope to all that is holy that the production is strong and this album makes a statement.

EDIT: Just saw the new rumor of February. Sad about that, it felt like forever just to get to this point in January.

Last edited by ElijahSoRight72; 01-17-2022 at 11:35 AM.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2022, 11:40 AM   #7597
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just saw in the tour rumor post that the tour announcement that was expected this week has been pushed off to early February. So, probably means a delay in any album news as well, since there was an expectation they would be announced together.
    oh the famous delays. We’ve never seen this before!
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2022, 12:10 PM   #7598
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I’d be happier with Rashawn if he was less of a lead instrument. He came in hot in 06 and it wasn’t for me.
    I agree he has done great things be the point person dave goes to for the live jams but he needs to step back. Especially on seek up where he isn't as smooth as roi and is having shouting matches with Jeff.
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2022, 12:53 PM   #7599
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monizzle145 View Post
    What tour did you see him on? The last few tours he has put on have been some of the best of his career given the variety of what you get and his solid personnel (David Ryan Harris and Isiah Sharkey w/ guitar support). I actually have liked the last 2 JM tours miles better than some of the shows I saw a decade ago.
    It was back around Continuum timeframe so I loved all the songs. It was so short that was the one thing I remember most. Must have been a bad night.

https://www.jambase.com/show/john-ma...iseum-20070206
    Old 01-17-2022, 12:54 PM   #7600
    ericvol

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If Covid blows this album announcement up I swear.
    Old 01-17-2022, 01:24 PM   #7601
    ericvol

My Tour Central Stats

After reading your rumor thread it’s more just a delay to maximize ticket purchase impact since Omicron will be much more settled down in two weeks. Think the people that are willing to go to concerts aren’t the people that those two weeks will really matter.
    Old 01-17-2022, 03:50 PM   #7602
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvol View Post
    It was back around Continuum timeframe so I loved all the songs. It was so short that was the one thing I remember most. Must have been a bad night.

That was the year I saw him and hated him. He was in super ego mode at that time and it showed on stage by how he acted, talked and played. Last 8 years or so he’s a totally different guy and show then back then.
    Old 01-17-2022, 03:55 PM   #7603
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Management delays tour dates announcements again.
    Red Light Management and this band makes it so goddamn hard to be a DMB fan. I realize Van Halen fans had it worse, but goddamn.
    I’m a Magic: The Gathering fan too, but WotC and Mark Rosewater (head designer) goes out of their way to engage with its audience what we like, don’t like, and want out of the game. It’s infuriating.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2022, 04:35 PM   #7604
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Red Light Management and this band makes it so goddamn hard to be a DMB fan
    How does the band?
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2022, 04:51 PM   #7605
    BarkRock

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    You have to love all of their new material to be a true fan of this Band?
    Who said that? The person made a comment that they lost all hope of them making good new material, yet is stalking the new album news discussion. Just seems pointless.
    BarkRock is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2022, 06:21 PM   #7606
    ericvol

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bibby1044 View Post
    That was the year I saw him and hated him. He was in super ego mode at that time and it showed on stage by how he acted, talked and played. Last 8 years or so he’s a totally different guy and show then back then.
    Interesting, you could definitely pick that up from the stage. Will check him out next time he’s around!
    Old 01-18-2022, 05:18 AM   #7607
    grilldanmo

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I love all the doom and gloom about an album that we may have heard half of, at most. The decision to dislike the music that has come out when at least two of the songs have a sound and vibe that speaks to the early years but arranged with the current line up.

There are plenty of folks here that have stated that they hated Everyday, but two decades later love hearing songs from that album live (and even talk about liking the studio cuts). I get it taking a while to warm up to ED, I'm still not there... The off-hand dismissal of an unreleased album though isn't about any notion of having to like everything from the band, rather a myopic perspective on the band and their music.

The impending release could be up there with their best material, but a certain amount of die-hards won't give it a fair shake as a matter of course. They've already decided that this band can't do anything new AND good. Once the album comes out and it's listened to, everyone gets to have/state their opinions and we'll surely have many a lively debate. But we also know that many folks haven't been happy w/ the music since Roi and a vocal minority have written off the band because they didn't replace Boyd w/ another violin player. Some of these folks are not interested in the band at all at this time, let alone them doing anything new.

Anyways, I still find tying an album release to tour dates/tickets sales as a big marketing push is passe. Announce the release date, drop a single in March, and promote the album. It's not too late to release a full band studio version of Windows right now, maybe with a nice studio jam at the end to whet our appetites.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2022, 06:20 AM   #7608
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    I love all the doom and gloom about an album that we may have heard half of, at most. The decision to dislike the music that has come out when at least two of the songs have a sound and vibe that speaks to the early years but arranged with the current line up.

There are plenty of folks here that have stated that they hated Everyday, but two decades later love hearing songs from that album live (and even talk about liking the studio cuts). I get it taking a while to warm up to ED, I'm still not there... The off-hand dismissal of an unreleased album though isn't about any notion of having to like everything from the band, rather a myopic perspective on the band and their music.

The impending release could be up there with their best material, but a certain amount of die-hards won't give it a fair shake as a matter of course. They've already decided that this band can't do anything new AND good. Once the album comes out and it's listened to, everyone gets to have/state their opinions and we'll surely have many a lively debate. But we also know that many folks haven't been happy w/ the music since Roi and a vocal minority have written off the band because they didn't replace Boyd w/ another violin player. Some of these folks are not interested in the band at all at this time, let alone them doing anything new.

Anyways, I still find tying an album release to tour dates/tickets sales as a big marketing push is passe. Announce the release date, drop a single in March, and promote the album. It's not too late to release a full band studio version of Windows right now, maybe with a nice studio jam at the end to whet our appetites.

What is the appropriate speed for people to not like something?
    Old 01-18-2022, 06:54 AM   #7609
    Gunz

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    36 everyday
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2022, 12:47 PM   #7610
    grilldanmo

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's part of my point.

Some people even like SU songs now, at least live after hating them for a decade or more. Many folks here claimed to hated CT after only listening to it once.

So there is no time frame, but on another forum I frequent we discussed how some music never connects despite seeming like it would or should) and some connects over time. Obviously some connects immediately while other stuff disconnects. Several folks talked about spending a significant amount of time and effort trying to like certain artists or genres. Things can/do change. We grow to and away from things. Sometimes it takes time, sometimes it's instantaneous.

My other point was being open to the music. Sometimes a band you love takes a new direction that you don't expect, evolves away from that sound you loved. But the new stuff can also be great. Mumford & Sons did that to me with Wilder Mind. Totally unexpected, but it's my second favorite album of theirs after Sigh No More which locked me in when I heard White Blank Page. WBP grabbed me because it reminded me of DMB, but the band was also like acoustic Frightened Rabbit...awesomely UK folk feeling/sounding rock stuff.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2022, 12:55 PM   #7611
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

I think it's important to keep in mind that there are different tiers of liking things, I used to not like Dive In, now I do, it never had a chance of being thought of in the same tier as the top 3
    Old 01-18-2022, 01:24 PM   #7612
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's part of my point.

Some people even like SU songs now, at least live after hating them for a decade or more. Many folks here claimed to hated CT after only listening to it once.

So there is no time frame, but on another forum I frequent we discussed how some music never connects despite seeming like it would or should) and some connects over time. Obviously some connects immediately while other stuff disconnects. Several folks talked about spending a significant amount of time and effort trying to like certain artists or genres. Things can/do change. We grow to and away from things. Sometimes it takes time, sometimes it's instantaneous.

My other point was being open to the music. Sometimes a band you love takes a new direction that you don't expect, evolves away from that sound you loved. But the new stuff can also be great. Mumford & Sons did that to me with Wilder Mind. Totally unexpected, but it's my second favorite album of theirs after Sigh No More which locked me in when I heard White Blank Page. WBP grabbed me because it reminded me of DMB, but the band was also like acoustic Frightened Rabbit...awesomely UK folk feeling/sounding rock stuff.
    Good mention of Mumford here. I liked that album. I think Delta was also very different from everything else they did and it flows so well. Delta album is great IMO but many I know wrote it off immediately because it’s “too quiet or slow”.

I will say I’m in the camp for CT that knew it sucked immediately and normally im usually very positive when first hearing new dmb for the first time. Over time some of the songs have grown on me like idea if you even tho it’s not super clean and they could’ve done better. I now love that version.

And how you said it can connect over time, staying power is usually a sign of great music and when it doesn’t hit you the first time. that happened to me at least twice. Two that come to mind was chili peppers latest album the getaway. Did not like it at first then a few months later it hit me and was amazed they still pump out quality songs. The second I mentioned born n raised by John Mayer. That took me about 8 years to realize how amazing it is when initially it didn’t connect with me at all. I think I was too immature at the time to understand the subject matter and what he was personally going through at the time he wrote that album.

Last edited by bibby1044; 01-18-2022 at 01:26 PM.
    Old 01-18-2022, 01:57 PM   #7613
    LaLaLaLaHey

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bibby1044 View Post
    Good mention of Mumford here. I liked that album. I think Delta was also very different from everything else they did and it flows so well. Delta album is great IMO but many I know wrote it off immediately because it’s “too quiet or slow”.

I will say I’m in the camp for CT that knew it sucked immediately and normally im usually very positive when first hearing new dmb for the first time. Over time some of the songs have grown on me like idea if you even tho it’s not super clean and they could’ve done better. I now love that version.

And how you said it can connect over time, staying power is usually a sign of great music and when it doesn’t hit you the first time. that happened to me at least twice. Two that come to mind was chili peppers latest album the getaway. Did not like it at first then a few months later it hit me and was amazed they still pump out quality songs. The second I mentioned born n raised by John Mayer. That took me about 8 years to realize how amazing it is when initially it didn’t connect with me at all. I think I was too immature at the time to understand the subject matter and what he was personally going through at the time he wrote that album.
    Just to hop on this train, Sob Rock is really not being recognized as a great album right now, but I can see it becoming a staple. I'm a huge fan of the sound. I think he nailed the 80s vibe out of the park, the mixes are good, and the songs are catchy. His licks are as tasty as ever.
    Old 01-18-2022, 03:00 PM   #7614
    monizzle145

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvol View Post

Yeah that was his full blown cocky era where he was talented and the music was solid but he was still cocky. Anything since the search for everything has been to me miles better as far as tour execution

He mixes the sets very well and has a range of solid covers (mind you I hate when most artists cover songs), acoustic performances and full band electric performances that actually flow with momentum.
    Old 01-18-2022, 03:07 PM   #7615
    monizzle145

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's part of my point.

I gave come tomorrow years and most of it still sucks live

I can see how ED was hated because the band took a big shift after the big 3 and lillywhite leaks that took fans time to adjust to

At this point in 2022 we know what this band does great and what they don't do great. We know that the melodies and structures of a song make the song, not songs just sounding like the big 3 albums.

Everyday rocks because melodies and energy in songs like fool to think, what you are, and sleep to dream her have depth even though it was produced with a mainstream hit maker.

What you are and fool to think have a solid showcase of what dave can do with a baritone guitar and the band rallies around it (Yes i know he plays the acoustic on it live but it really is a prog rock beat made on electric guitar studio wise and composition wise).

This is why the songs that have been out were loved. Hell this is why Virginia in the rain and bismark were loved and hardcore fans were upset that bismark didn't make the album.

The #1 issue with the last few albums is the band neglects some of the best songs from the last 2 albums live playing the worse cuts from the album (She, TGIY, If Only, Mercy (back when AFTW first came out). If they actually play the songs they road tested last year and they all make the album I think it will easily be a step up from CT and AFTW's touring years.
    Old 01-18-2022, 03:23 PM   #7616
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

#1 issue with the albums is playing the wrong songs after it's released?
    Old 01-18-2022, 03:56 PM   #7617
    LaLaLaLaHey

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    #1 issue with the albums is playing the wrong songs after it's released?
    #1 issue is that the albums have wrong songs in the first place

#2 issue is that the wrong songs are the ones that are played live
    Old 01-18-2022, 04:03 PM   #7618
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

How about just write better songs that transfer well to the live setting, like MME
    Old 01-18-2022, 04:29 PM   #7619
    ericvol

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How about just write better songs that transfer well to the live setting, like MME
    I like this plan, if we get 7 more songs on the general level of WOTM, TOT and MME I think we will be pleased.
    Old 01-18-2022, 06:04 PM   #7620
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah the promising thing about the new songs is that they work in a live setting and have different places they could appear in a show. MME could end up becoming a great closer, OATB could work in the encore or midset, WATM could be a great opener, but they all work wherever they show up in a set