New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 40 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-17-2021, 12:06 PM   #1171
jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

I don't think any of us need it. But we want it (to varying degrees) and that's natural and normal. The way they connect with fans around things like new music is outdated, I don't think there is any argument otherwise. Not over hyping things, but more engagement in general would be a good thing, that's really all there is to it.

That being said, things I'm excited for:

New producer (yes Rob Evans knows them, and yes his only credit is That Girl is You...but I like something that's at least somewhat of a change)
Dave's headspace for writing
Carter being brought in what seems to be earlier than normal
The pandemic maybe making the band miss their band lives, helps the motivation and excitement for creating stuff together

Things I don't like:
Jeff not seeming like he's an integral part of the song creation process whether that's arrangements or creative thinking

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-17-2021, 12:12 PM   #1172
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    I feel this way too - but I think that’s a bad thing for the band that I (and many others) feel that way.

It’s because I just don’t care enough anymore and don’t feel their output is worth much excitement. I listen to DMB far less frequently than I used to - a mix of recent studio duds, a lot of subpar live output of late (shoving 2018 and onward down our throats), lack of streaming availability, and over-listening to the good stuff that they have released.

I went through a phase where I was bummed by my declining interest. Now I’m in acceptance. Whenever they want to put out new music is fine. I’ll probably listen and be very meh on it at best. I’m in no rush to hear what I anticipate will be an album that ranks somewhere above Stand Up and somewhere below BW/AFTW (depending on your inclinations about those 2).

I agree in that a lot of people feel the way you do, I think it's a little different for me but your perspective is a common one. DMB just goes in phases for me and while it's always #1 it isn't always equally strong at all times, out of sight out of mind I guess. Dave hasn't performed anything in a while now, there aren't any Drive In shows, nothing is new and all things DMB are pretty much off the grid right now. It's the same as anything else I love, sports teams in the off season, holidays, etc. As all of those things start to come back I'll get back into it but the concert going vibes and excitement is a little off in the middle of February having seen nothing new in months.
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #1173
    Dagwin

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I don't know why I keep checking this thread (or the Zoom call thread). If there's anything of real substance posted to either of the two, we'll all know it by the: DMBc Discussion (235 viewing). But as soon as I see: DMBc Discussion (46 viewing), I immediately tell myself, "Today's not the day."
    Dagwin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-19-2021, 04:48 PM   #1174
    wilsonjc
    Proudest Monkey

Shows Seen: 88

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dagwin View Post
    I don't know why I keep checking this thread (or the Zoom call thread). If there's anything of real substance posted to either of the two, we'll all know it by the: DMBc Discussion (235 viewing). But as soon as I see: DMBc Discussion (46 viewing), I immediately tell myself, "Today's not the day."
    It used to be DMBc Discussion (874 viewing) 🙃
    wilsonjc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #1175
    gia_rootdivine
    our sacred dances true

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

i am optimistic that where we might be headed is a late spring release, even though there would not be a traditional tour to follow, given the direct connection with Capshaw, i feel like they may have at least been in talks to decide whether to do something vaguely similar (probably not spread across multiple weeks though) to The Beacon Jams as an album release celebration!
    gia_rootdivine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2021, 11:40 AM   #1176
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gia_rootdivine View Post
    i am optimistic that where we might be headed is a late spring release, even though there would not be a traditional tour to follow, given the direct connection with Capshaw, i feel like they may have at least been in talks to decide whether to do something vaguely similar (probably not spread across multiple weeks though) to The Beacon Jams as an album release celebration!
    I do too.. Possibly why we're having a bit of a Live Trax announcement delay as well.. I could see a bundled live trax with a new album similar to Big Whiskey release...

Also they might be waiting out just as long as possible to see what touring is or isn't going to look like this year... And base the album release around it.. though at this stage in the band's career I don't see a new album effecting ticket sales even in a normal year.. I don't think Come Tomorrow really boosted the bands presence outside of current fans to bring in my butts in the seats... It's not like a hit single from a 30 year old act is going to make a difference IMO... Just the changing times.. Even when the Stones had to put out Bridges to Babylon as an excuse to tour in the 90's... things have changed so so much since then... DMB could never release a new album again and likely keep the same amount of fans for the next decade with minimal dropoff...

Last edited by HonestDenver1; 02-22-2021 at 11:42 AM.
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #1177
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

can any of the in the know people give a tiny bit of an update?

i feel like we haven't gotten anything in awhile haha
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2021, 07:55 AM   #1178
    dmbnut21

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groogrux27 View Post
    can any of the in the know people give a tiny bit of an update?

i feel like we haven't gotten anything in awhile haha
    I know nothing. But if I had to take a guess here I would say the band wants to release the album and then tour on it. They won't release until they know they can tour and they want it to be a #1 to continue the streak. You won't see the album until those two things can happen.

The touring part is pretty iffy, we are 3 months away from the first show and only about 15% vaccinated. If the pace picks up and it looks like at least most of the tour can happen it probably comes out early on during the tour.

Second part, I'm not sure what they can do outside of trying to pick a week where not much else is releasing and pray that a bigger artist doesn't just randomly drop an album out of nowhere. They can't use ticket sales with a free album any more so they will have to find a new way to inflate sales or do a massive PR push which is going to be hard with COVID still floating around.
    dmbnut21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #1179
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbnut21 View Post
    They can't use ticket sales with a free album any more so they will have to find a new way to inflate sales or do a massive PR push which is going to be hard with COVID still floating around.
    Vinyl is one of the ways to do this. Multiple limited/special editions, some with bonus materials. And these needn't be limited to vinyl. Not $50 boxed sets, but $17-22 for CDs w/ extra tracks (add about $10 for vinyls)...even varying up the extra tracks on different editions. Yes, many will bitch and moan about it, but many of them will also buy multiple copies.

The streak ends at some point, prolonging it doesn't really do anything to help them or interest/engage fans (old or new).

I can't remember if this was verified, but when you sell a LP with a DL code for a digital copy, do they only get credit for the vinyl since the DL is part of the cost? If so, charge $1 for the DL so it's a separate unit sold...as long as works.

Really though, I don't care about this shit, I just want to hear more music from DMB. Old and previously unreleased, newly recorded versions of old/unreleased stuff, brand new material, etc. I'm ready for any and ALL of it.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #1180
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Get the Taylor Swift PR team to call DMB.

Special edition vinyls, signed copies, etc.

Not hard, it’s just DMB is lazy. Or maybe it’s not done yet. Who knows.

In the end we don’t know much.
    Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2021, 01:55 PM   #1181
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I know nothing. But if I had to take a guess here I would say the band wants to release the album and then tour on it. They won't release until they know they can tour and they want it to be a #1 to continue the streak. You won't see the album until those two things can happen.

The touring part is pretty iffy, we are 3 months away from the first show and only about 15% vaccinated. If the pace picks up and it looks like at least most of the tour can happen it probably comes out early on during the tour.

Second part, I'm not sure what they can do outside of trying to pick a week where not much else is releasing and pray that a bigger artist doesn't just randomly drop an album out of nowhere. They can't use ticket sales with a free album any more so they will have to find a new way to inflate sales or do a massive PR push which is going to be hard with COVID still floating around.

I don't have any info to dispute this, but my gut tell me this is probably not accurate.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #1182
    elconguero

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ View Post
    Get the Taylor Swift PR team to call DMB.

Special edition vinyls, signed copies, etc.

Not hard, it’s just DMB is lazy. Or maybe it’s not done yet. Who knows.

In the end we don’t know much.
    That's been their problem for 20 years now. They never finish sessions anymore. Or at least don't have the intestinal fortitude to complete a tough session.

Easy fix though, put out songs that are already complete. No need for full length albums. When you release about 10-15 songs, throw them all together and release a B-sides compilation. Or release 5 song EP's.

Last edited by elconguero; 03-01-2021 at 03:18 PM.
    elconguero is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2021, 03:57 PM   #1183
    groogrux27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    I don't have any info to dispute this, but my gut tell me this is probably not accurate.
    tell me more of your gut thoughts scott
    Quote:
    Old 03-01-2021, 05:00 PM   #1184
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    tell me more of your gut thoughts scott
    Like I said, I don't have any real info right now. I just don't believe that the band will sell enough additional records by putting off the release until the tour to justify doing so.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 07:39 AM   #1185
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Methinks you're right, C.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 08:34 AM   #1186
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I know nothing. But if I had to take a guess here I would say the band wants to release the album and then tour on it. They won't release until they know they can tour and they want it to be a #1 to continue the streak. You won't see the album until those two things can happen...
    #1 isn't what it was even a decade ago. So many caveats have been added to make sure albums hit #1 that it's far more complicated than the old cross-section of sales and reception.

I'm sure they would like to keep the streak going, but I doubt decisions are being made based on that. If they were a zeitgeist pop act like Eilish or Minaj then that might be important, sure. But they're a household name for decades now, they'll exist and not worry about not hitting it. It might annoy them that they did keep the streak going, but it won't break the mold.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 09:43 AM   #1187
    DMB1JW

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Some actual promotion...clever marketing...a solid single...they may hit #1 on their own who knows?
    DMB1JW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 09:46 AM   #1188
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dodo36 View Post
    #1 isn't what it was even a decade ago. So many caveats have been added to make sure albums hit #1 that it's far more complicated than the old cross-section of sales and reception.

I'm sure they would like to keep the streak going, but I doubt decisions are being made based on that. If they were a zeitgeist pop act like Eilish or Minaj then that might be important, sure. But they're a household name for decades now, they'll exist and not worry about not hitting it. It might annoy them that they did keep the streak going, but it won't break the mold.

DMB is a big corporate bonfire these days
    Old 03-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #1189
    greyson1289

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    DMB is a big corporate bonfire these days
    Nailed it. They haven't missed a beat the last few times promoting their recent albums that went #1.
    greyson1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 12:53 PM   #1190
    gia_rootdivine
    our sacred dances true

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

if the album is at all similar to the Carter and Dave session, it will end up with a lot of word of mouth recommendations too!
    gia_rootdivine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 07:53 PM   #1191
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

I don't think they'd have a problem hitting #1. Especially if they give even minimum effort promoting it. Do a few live stream concerts to promote it, release some variants/deluxe editions. The DMB community has been starved since before the pandemic hit (minus some Sirius streams and the Drive in) We are hungry for anything DMB.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 11:02 PM   #1192
    grilldanmo

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    I don't think they'd have a problem hitting #1. Especially if they give even minimum effort promoting it. Do a few live stream concerts to promote it, release some variants/deluxe editions. The DMB community has been starved since before the pandemic hit (minus some Sirius streams and the Drive in) We are hungry for anything DMB.
    'xactly yo
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 12:51 PM   #1193
    groogrux27

My Tour Central Stats

just got an email from 'Dave Matthews Band' and my heart skipped a beat, too bad
    Quote:
    Old 03-04-2021, 12:52 PM   #1194
    LaLaLaLaHey

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    just got an email from 'Dave Matthews Band' and my heart skipped a beat, too bad
    Hey, new show release for Warehouse members!
    Old 03-04-2021, 01:14 PM   #1195
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaHey View Post
    Hey, new show release for Warehouse members!
    Set falls off a cliff, but so far Dave's voice sounds incredible and I'm enjoying the mix very much, so there is that.
    Old 03-04-2021, 01:18 PM   #1196
    LaLaLaLaHey

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    Set falls off a cliff, but so far Dave's voice sounds incredible and I'm enjoying the mix very much, so there is that.
    I decided not to look at the setlist and experience the show as it comes On Warehouse right now.

Mix is pretty good though, yeah. Bass is a little over-heavy maybe, but better than too light.
    Old 03-04-2021, 04:28 PM   #1197
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaHey View Post
    I decided not to look at the setlist and experience the show as it comes On Warehouse right now.

Mix is pretty good though, yeah. Bass is a little over-heavy maybe, but better than too light.
    I would agree with that! Just the low end needs some EQ work I think though, overwhelming at some points and kind of "balloons." I like the definition in the mid range of Fonz though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Old 03-04-2021, 07:21 PM   #1198
    anthonysoscia

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Was just thinking that -- the mix sounds pretty good, and carter's kit sounds pretty good in the mix (i'm a drummer and picky with the kit sound), but man, with headphones on the bass was blowing my ears out on some of the tunes! In Warehouse the bass was cutting through second loudest behind Dave's voice in parts
    anthonysoscia is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 07:35 PM   #1199
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post

The end of the main set and encore are fine IMO
    Old 03-04-2021, 07:46 PM   #1200
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

In a perfect world, we'd all wake up on a Friday morning to a surprise new DMB single on our Spotify Release Radar playlists.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote