Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread - Page 388 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-25-2021, 12:27 PM   #11611
mquerques92

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
Do you think Dave still drinks? I know he mentioned going vegan and he honestly looks healthier than ever even for a guy in his 50's who lived pretty hard in his younger days. Think he's kicked it? I know in a few interviews he's mentioned that he loves drinking but also wants to live a long time for his kids... Just wondering if you think he still get's DRUNK like he used to. I'm thinking no... And he eats vegan grilled cheese on gluten free home made toast
I'm thinking definitely yes
mquerques92 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #11612
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    With years removed, and more info available to us, it seems like the band was headed for a not so great time in their history the following year. There’s been talk of in-fighting when he decided to do his solo record, and then we got Stand Up a year or two after that, and then it’s been said they almost broke up in 07.

So looking back it seems like maybe the best thing to do would have been to take a break from the road for a few years and regroup. It’s not like they produced REALLY quality music from 04-09. There were bright points, but nothing compared to the magic that existed pre-Stand Up. Then tack on the death of a founding member and the personal downfall of another, that takes a toll.

It was no surprise to me, when the band was forced to break last year, that Dave started pumping out good songs again. The two we’ve heard are really promising lyrically and technically. I’m actually really looking forward to hearing what else he cooked up. I’ve felt in the last year that maybe the band wouldn’t have gone so astray had they just taken some time to miss each other once in a while.
    Agreed on this. First year since 2011 that he didn't really hit the road hard. Lots of free time to work on old ideas and new. I'm hoping that since he's been relatively quiet to start the year he's with a producer somewhere mixing/editing the new record.

Just having time to himself for the first time since his 20s has to be a bit of strange feeling for him. Hopefully it brought the poet back out in him and not the surface level writer that he's mostly been the last decade minus a few exceptations..

He honestly has never quit writing which is impressive, it's just that most of the songs we get to hear like 04/06 songs never get completely finished which has to be exhausting to have dozens of 90% done songs laying around that were so close to being great tunes...

Unlike someone like Bruce Springsteen who puts out polished records every 2-3 years for decades it seems with very finished tunes...

Just wonder what would help Dave finalize more songs. I think the approach of bringing new material on the road to "test" it out before they record it should be done. It just kills the songs IMO.. They play them to death and get bored by the end of the tour. Like 04/06 they played the new stuff almost every single night... Same with 2000. It's like they just kill it before it gets done... You can't go back into the studio with any sort of fresh take on JTR after it's played to death... It's just a live song now.
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #11613
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dodo36
    1.0: thru 1993. Peter, the attempted albums & demo recordings, R2T
    2.0: 1993 - 1999. Tim occasional, Lillywhite steers the polished sound for commercial viability, the big three
    3.0: 2000 - 2007. Butch, Rashawn, LWS, Ballard, the next three, live releases become more frequent, the solo projects
    4.0: 2008 - 2015. Tim, Jeff, - Butch, Roi's passing, Boyd becomes noticeably inconsistent, BWGK, LRB, AFTW, new approaches to live format (2sets, caravan, etc.)
    5.0: 2015+. Boyd worsens then leaves, Buddy, reinvigoration and reinvention of the sound

That's at least how I feel the eras break and why
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    So you guys are basing your opinions on overall sound of the band, and not actual versions of the band?

Like Boyd "sounding worse" begins a new version of the Band? I'm not sure how that makes more sense than an era ending when Boyd left and a new one beginning when Buddy came in.

And the end of the pandemic will begin a new version of the Band? I also don't understand how that marks the beginning of a new era/version of the Band when it will (assumingly) be the same exact lineup as it was before the pandemic.

I appreciate your perspectives, I just can't say I understand them that well.
    Boyd starting to regularly slip was just part of the definition, not the sole demarcation. That's what it became apparent to everyone, no longer able to be ignored, and we watched it snowball into where it went. There was just something different about the 2015 tour that was like being given the coolest Go-Bot instead of a G1 Starscream for your birthday. Not entirely disappointed, but you knew it could be better. Good enough as opposed to transcendent.

It's more than just the sound and line-up of the band. It's the general approach, creative direction, studio and production aesthetic, stature, management and marketing attention, willingness to deviate, the plan moving forward, level of songwriting, tour make-up, the band dynamic on and off stage, and so on. Those five eras have marked changes in all of the above; I just threw a few things in each list to illustrate the highlights. The triumph and tragedy doesn't translate so well in a chatroom retrospect, particularly for the relatively recent fans who don't have a distinct memory of when Tim was that surprise guest you hoped for. The 2008 tour was a big deal because he'd done a 180 on his stance of never outright joining the band. The coming and going of Butch as a regular kind of marked an era - not because his presence was so colossal, but because his timing was coincidental.

What I don't get is the idea that the first era of the band ending with Big Whiskey. So much had happened and changed. In '09 they weren't the same band as they were in '04, nor '01, nor '96. Dave playing an electric on Everyday was a huge flashpoint in the sound and dynamic.

As for the pandemic, it's too soon to know how that will shake things through. It seems huge because we're still in it. Is Buddy around for the long haul, or is he going to transition to something new in a couple years? We don't know. Smart money is on him sticking around, but in 2010 nobody would have thought Boyd would get sacked. (Socked?)

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #11614
    Dodo36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    For some reason that entire weekend, but that show especially, has a “farewell” vibe to it, to me. For instance, Ants Marching from night 1 always sounded like they were playing it for the last time, and same with that Billies. In retrospect, it may not have been a terrible idea for the band to take a break after that summer given what would follow a couple years later.
    Quote:
    With years removed, and more info available to us, it seems like the band was headed for a not so great time in their history the following year. There’s been talk of in-fighting when he decided to do his solo record, and then we got Stand Up a year or two after that, and then it’s been said they almost broke up in 07.

So looking back it seems like maybe the best thing to do would have been to take a break from the road for a few years and regroup. It’s not like they produced REALLY quality music from 04-09. There were bright points, but nothing compared to the magic that existed pre-Stand Up. Then tack on the death of a founding member and the personal downfall of another, that takes a toll.

It was no surprise to me, when the band was forced to break last year, that Dave started pumping out good songs again. The two we’ve heard are really promising lyrically and technically. I’m actually really looking forward to hearing what else he cooked up. I’ve felt in the last year that maybe the band wouldn’t have gone so astray had they just taken some time to miss each other once in a while.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. After promoting and hyping the 2000 sessions, announcing they were scrapped in favor of Everyday, LWS leaking, then hurrying to do BS just because... that Gorge stand in '02 felt like DMB's own version of The Last Waltz. The Winter '02 band tour seemed tense in places, like they were trying to make it work. Then seeing how '03 shook out with Dave and Boyd doing solo records out of nowhere, the band learning that the winter tour was Dave with just his friends (not his band), and the rumors of the infighting all along... and then that friction turned out to be simmering under the surface for the next several years... They played nearly every song in their catalogue during that three night stand with very few repeats. Tripping felt emotionally charged in a way I wasn't able to really interpret until a while later.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    Old 02-25-2021, 03:13 PM   #11615
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    For some reason that entire weekend, but that show especially, has a “farewell” vibe to it, to me. For instance, Ants Marching from night 1 always sounded like they were playing it for the last time, and same with that Billies. In retrospect, it may not have been a terrible idea for the band to take a break after that summer given what would follow a couple years later.
    I guess it had a bit of that vibe, but the winter tour was already announced that that point. And also, Dave said they’ll play Last Stop next year.

Last edited by Dannyyankou; 02-25-2021 at 03:16 PM.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2021, 03:18 PM   #11616
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Regarding Dave drinking, he still makes comments about it from time to time, he still drinks.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2021, 04:00 PM   #11617
    Dodo36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mquerques92 View Post
    So you think 2016 (and maybe part of 2015?) is more comparable to 2018/19 than to 2014?
    It feels like part of the same 'plot thread,' for lack of a better term. The descent of Boyd and emergence of Buddy, then the pause button was pressed. We still have yet to see how it plays out.

Old 02-25-2021, 04:28 PM   #11618
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dodo36 View Post
    Boyd starting to regularly slip was just part of the definition, not the sole demarcation. That's what it became apparent to everyone, no longer able to be ignored, and we watched it snowball into where it went. There was just something different about the 2015 tour that was like being given the coolest Go-Bot instead of a G1 Starscream for your birthday. Not entirely disappointed, but you knew it could be better. Good enough as opposed to transcendent.

It's more than just the sound and line-up of the band. It's the general approach, creative direction, studio and production aesthetic, stature, management and marketing attention, willingness to deviate, the plan moving forward, level of songwriting, tour make-up, the band dynamic on and off stage, and so on. Those five eras have marked changes in all of the above; I just threw a few things in each list to illustrate the highlights. The triumph and tragedy doesn't translate so well in a chatroom retrospect, particularly for the relatively recent fans who don't have a distinct memory of when Tim was that surprise guest you hoped for. The 2008 tour was a big deal because he'd done a 180 on his stance of never outright joining the band. The coming and going of Butch as a regular kind of marked an era - not because his presence was so colossal, but because his timing was coincidental.

What I don't get is the idea that the first era of the band ending with Big Whiskey. So much had happened and changed. In '09 they weren't the same band as they were in '04, nor '01, nor '96. Dave playing an electric on Everyday was a huge flashpoint in the sound and dynamic.

As for the pandemic, it's too soon to know how that will shake things through. It seems huge because we're still in it. Is Buddy around for the long haul, or is he going to transition to something new in a couple years? We don't know. Smart money is on him sticking around, but in 2010 nobody would have thought Boyd would get sacked. (Socked?)
    I’m of the mind that we will see this lineup for the remainder of DMB. Who knows how long that will be? Will it end tomorrow? No. Will it end? Yes.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2021, 05:03 PM   #11619
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

The studio version of Stay played tonight at Menchies frozen yogurt while I was there with my daughter. One of the most random, unexpected places I've heard DMB pop up.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2021, 08:33 PM   #11620
    samiota

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

"Just Go With It" is a fun Adam Sandler movie with Dave Matthews playing Nicole Kidman's husband. Lots of star power and a pretty chill movie.
    samiota is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2021, 11:29 PM   #11621
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

For the (few, I guess) people who haven’t watch it yet, the HQ full documentary by Sam Erickson “the Road to Big Whiskey”.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nJdOlBCnSps

It is so well done and it has great concert clips as studio clips. Plus some backstage moments and interviews. Watch it.
    Old 02-27-2021, 06:58 AM   #11622
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    I guess it had a bit of that vibe, but the winter tour was already announced that that point. And also, Dave said they’ll play Last Stop next year.
    I don’t know how to explain it properly. It’s not that I felt like they were actually saying farewell, but moreso in the way they played. Like Ants sounded to me the way I’d expect to hear it for the last time. They played they held nothing back and it played out that way. I don’t think I’m explaining this well at all haha. Some thoughts aren’t made for forums I suppose.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2021, 01:04 PM   #11623
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    For the (few, I guess) people who haven’t watch it yet, the HQ full documentary by Sam Erickson “the Road to Big Whiskey”.

It is so well done and it has great concert clips as studio clips. Plus some backstage moments and interviews. Watch it.
    Thanks for posting this. Haven’t seen it in years!
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2021, 02:07 PM   #11624
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Thank you so much for posting this. I had never seen it before. So glad that I got to see this and learned so much. And no advertisement interruptions, which was a pleasant surprise.

Some Observations and comments:

Fonzy wearing the chapstick in the beginning I found to be funny, not sure why, just did.

The Austin Powers doll hanging around the 11:35 mark was cute.

I now know why Carter wears headgear. His 5 head is worse than Dave's. LOL

I had no idea that Seven was originally called Garden Hose.

I had no idea what Steve Lily-white looked like before. Seemed like a movie director.

The Leroi stuff was so sad. I knew it was an ATV accident but I didn't know the details of him going across his property to check on something and the ATV hit a ditch that was covered in grass. He apparently died from a clot when transferring to Los Angeles hospital.

Leroi was funny, though in his clips. "Why are Snoop Dog's clothes so clean? Because he uses bleaaaaytch!" LOL :leroy

The guy from Red Light Management, Bruce Flohr I think the name was kinda reminded me of Jason Sudakis from SNL fame.

I had no idea that Carter, Leroi, Fonzy and Boyd lived so close to each other growing up and that Fonzy's dad recommended him to the band.

Is Millers still in existence in Charlottesville?

I liked the #40 story. "They want me to play it, but I don't know the words!"

I wonder who leaked the Lily-white sessions if there were only 5 CDs?

Overall it kind of reminded me of the Sound City doc in some ways. Definitely worth watching.

Thanks again for posting.

Last edited by TypicalBilly14; 02-27-2021 at 02:09 PM.
    TypicalBilly14 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2021, 06:40 AM   #11625
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

One year ago today: https://youtu.be/3P7Z0zd5k6Q
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2021, 07:17 AM   #11626
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    One year ago today: https://youtu.be/3P7Z0zd5k6Q

Love this show, also whenever they play as a full band again Granny would be a great opener lyrically
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #11627
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 View Post
    Thank you so much for posting this. I had never seen it before. So glad that I got to see this and learned so much. And no advertisement interruptions, which was a pleasant surprise.

Some Observations and comments:

Fonzy wearing the chapstick in the beginning I found to be funny, not sure why, just did.

The Austin Powers doll hanging around the 11:35 mark was cute.

I now know why Carter wears headgear. His 5 head is worse than Dave's. LOL

I had no idea that Seven was originally called Garden Hose.

I had no idea what Steve Lily-white looked like before. Seemed like a movie director.

The Leroi stuff was so sad. I knew it was an ATV accident but I didn't know the details of him going across his property to check on something and the ATV hit a ditch that was covered in grass. He apparently died from a clot when transferring to Los Angeles hospital.

Leroi was funny, though in his clips. "Why are Snoop Dog's clothes so clean? Because he uses bleaaaaytch!" LOL :leroy

The guy from Red Light Management, Bruce Flohr I think the name was kinda reminded me of Jason Sudakis from SNL fame.

I had no idea that Carter, Leroi, Fonzy and Boyd lived so close to each other growing up and that Fonzy's dad recommended him to the band.

Is Millers still in existence in Charlottesville?

I liked the #40 story. "They want me to play it, but I don't know the words!"

I wonder who leaked the Lily-white sessions if there were only 5 CDs?

Overall it kind of reminded me of the Sound City doc in some ways. Definitely worth watching.

Thanks again for posting.

We should make a specific thread “Things I didn’t know about Dave Matthews Band”.
    Personally, I find new things almost everyday
    Old 02-28-2021, 08:50 AM   #11628
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Always wondered what happened to that solo, and what happened to him that month. He played so well in the month of June and then they started muting him again and he disappeared. I put June 2016 up there with the likes of a June 08. The band was getting tighter, the sets were nice, the new songs were cool, Boyd was playing well, Jeff was coming into his own. Seemed like a hopeful time as a fan.
    It’s funny because I feel the total opposite. I went to 3 shows that year. Two in May and one in June. I had fun at the shows, but i remember thinking the band was so stale. Prior to that tour, I would at least download shows I went to. They just had no re listening value to them anymore by 2016. I found the band to be ridiculously loud and fast. 3.0 wasn’t aways like that either. I can get a lot of enjoyment out of a 2012 show like 5/19/12 (a show I was at) 6/8/12, and 7/7/12. I just noticed in 2013 they started to drop off a bit sound wise, and 2014/2015 got a little worse. 2016 though was the peak. I was so tired of the hard rock at that point. I had very little faith that the sound would improve ever again. Then 2018 strikes. I really enjoyed the new sound. I love the sound of 2018, despite the stale sets.
    Old 03-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #11629
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

BTCS > Crash > UTTAD > BS > AFTW > Everyday > BWGK > CT > SU

This is after revisiting the post-BS catalog recently

Also based solely on the studio recordings, not how they developed live
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 05:24 PM   #11630
    dmb41er

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Will the owner of the mini bus named “bus ‘TED’ stuff” please take a bow. Your vehicle is awesome, wish I got a picture.
    dmb41er is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #11631
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samiota View Post
    "Just Go With It" is a fun Adam Sandler movie with Dave Matthews playing Nicole Kidman's husband. Lots of star power and a pretty chill movie.
    that movie aged well. I remember hating it when it first came out. But watched it recently and enjoyed it for what it was.. Maybe since Sandler is coming out with total crap these days.. It actually is ok in comparison.. Though it was below even his standards at the time. He was a b movie machine there for awhile. B movies that had huge audiences...
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 02:45 AM   #11632
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

My new mousepad (self-made with 10 dollars)

https://u.teknik.io/7q0UE.jpeg
    Old 03-04-2021, 04:57 AM   #11633
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My new mousepad (self-made with 10 dollars)

https://u.teknik.io/7q0UE.jpeg
    Nice. BTCS sessions?
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 06:30 AM   #11634
    bmt322

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Ever considered Snow Outside to be the happy sequel to Stay or Leave? The first verse of Stay or Leave says "kissing whiskey by the fire, with the snow outside." Just a thought. With how a lot of us felt like AFTW was the solo follow up album to Some Devil but with the band, I wonder how long Dave had Snow Outside up his sleeve.
    Old 03-04-2021, 07:10 AM   #11635
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    Nice. BTCS sessions?

I guess so.
    Notice how happy they looked, they are really laughing. I love this photo
    Old 03-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #11636
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Happy #34 Day

(since today is 3/4)
    I showed my therapist a Rashawn solo and she said his screeching high notes are his little way of getting attention and may be compensating for other shortcomings, such as lack of taste.
    haiku.warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 11:59 AM   #11637
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

An impression I've always had with bands that tour a TON - and this isn't from any actual conversations or inside knowledge of DMB in particular, just something I surmised over time - is that for bands that tour a LOT, there is literally the equivalent of a small country's economy and workforce that comes to know touring with that band/in that band as a way of life. I think at times when bands like DMB have considered if maybe they should take a few years off, do other stuff, then come back together, that small city's worth of touring staff, record people, promoters, tech crew, and especially all who make money from ticket sales and merch sales, they totally panic. I'd guess bands get a LOT OF PRESSURE to keep going, maybe sometimes to the detriment of the band members themselves, the quality of their studio recordings, live performances, and definitely their mental health.

So I wonder, if the timeline you and others have noticed there and the correlating patterns of what was happening in live shows and what those observations might mean, I wonder if they often considered a break, and maybe got too much pressure and felt like they couldn't, that it would be "letting too many people down"?

OR whether they themselves were afraid to stop, that it might feel to foreign or be too weird.

I was talking to a musician at the end of 2019 (nothing to do with DMB) who had toured for 2.5 yrs straight from 2013-2016, then off for 2 yrs, then toured for another 1.5 yrs straight from 2018-2019. He was talking about how long it takes to come off tour and "adjust" to regular life, and then get back to "normal" with family and/or friends.

Sure, most successful bands go on tour then go off tour and have to adjust. But not many tour for 2.5 years STRAIGHT or even 1.5 yrs STRAIGHT with very little off time (no more than a week) during. So when I think how much DMB tours, over the years, it's astounding. Completely agree that in retrospect, I bet they should have taken 1+ yrs off multiple times... wonder what things would be like now and what their catalogue would be like now?
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 12:01 PM   #11638
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Grace - yes, Dave has a lot of mouths to feed
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 12:31 PM   #11639
    mquerques92

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GraceBuckley View Post
    An impression I've always had with bands that tour a TON - and this isn't from any actual conversations or inside knowledge of DMB in particular, just something I surmised over time - is that for bands that tour a LOT, there is literally the equivalent of a small country's economy and workforce that comes to know touring with that band/in that band as a way of life. I think at times when bands like DMB have considered if maybe they should take a few years off, do other stuff, then come back together, that small city's worth of touring staff, record people, promoters, tech crew, and especially all who make money from ticket sales and merch sales, they totally panic. I'd guess bands get a LOT OF PRESSURE to keep going, maybe sometimes to the detriment of the band members themselves, the quality of their studio recordings, live performances, and definitely their mental health.

So I wonder, if the timeline you and others have noticed there and the correlating patterns of what was happening in live shows and what those observations might mean, I wonder if they often considered a break, and maybe got too much pressure and felt like they couldn't, that it would be "letting too many people down"?

OR whether they themselves were afraid to stop, that it might feel to foreign or be too weird.

I was talking to a musician at the end of 2019 (nothing to do with DMB) who had toured for 2.5 yrs straight from 2013-2016, then off for 2 yrs, then toured for another 1.5 yrs straight from 2018-2019. He was talking about how long it takes to come off tour and "adjust" to regular life, and then get back to "normal" with family and/or friends.

Sure, most successful bands go on tour then go off tour and have to adjust. But not many tour for 2.5 years STRAIGHT or even 1.5 yrs STRAIGHT with very little off time (no more than a week) during. So when I think how much DMB tours, over the years, it's astounding. Completely agree that in retrospect, I bet they should have taken 1+ yrs off multiple times... wonder what things would be like now and what their catalogue would be like now?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Grace - yes, Dave has a lot of mouths to feed
    Yep., thats why when there is a break theres usually a lot of notice that its going to happen - all those people need to find jobs for next year (and it probably helps sell a few extra tickets)
    mquerques92 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 05:45 AM   #11640
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

WH members already know that:

”9.7.2019 | Sacramento, CA | Watch Full Live Performance Now
    We are excited to present Warehouse members with a full live performance of Dave Matthews Band on September 7, 2019 at Golden 1 Credit Center in Sacramento, CA. The show is available for Warehouse members only until Monday, March 22nd, 2021. Watch now and enjoy the show!”

Basically they have released today on video the same show that was coming as a digital download with the renewal. A kind of “step back”, and a bit of confusion.

Quoting Genesis, this is “the Land of Confusion”: I am still thinking that people of WH is one person, so we all depend on his mood

Apart from the joke, this show is a good one, so I am looking forward to watch the video (I haven’t had time yet).