Share your unpopular DMB opinions. - Page 157 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2021, 11:09 PM   #4681
TheStone91
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,654

Shows Seen: 29

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
Studio Mercy is better than all three, yes. WWYS may be the only exception. DDTW studio is too slow. Too Much is the worst song from the Big 3. WWYS is nice; love it mostly.



But I think Mercy is the best thing they've done in the studio since the Big 3. The way its mixed. The way the whole band is utilized throughout. And the last minute and a half or so is fucking beautiful. The way the song builds is really nice. Lillywhite outdid himself. Tbh, I think its more Lillywhite that makes the song.



Live however, WWYS and DDTW blow everything else out of the water.


Forsure. I agree with you that itís mixed nicely, has a great ending, and that Lillywhite is the reason why itís good. But, the lyrics are so generic and feel forced at times.

Hard disagree on Too Much. To me, itís a classic song and encompasses everything that makes DMB, DMB.
TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-12-2021, 12:55 AM   #4682
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues
     
    Speilmen230's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Denver, CO
    Posts: 28,448

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    Oh come on, lol
    __________________
    -Jesse-
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 12:56 AM   #4683
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues
     
    Speilmen230's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Denver, CO
    Posts: 28,448

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    I agree 100%. The songs on ED don't sound like traditional DMB but they're superior to the majority of the material on SU, CT and AFTW. If ED came out after CT, I think it would have been lauded as a great DMB 3.0 record. A lot of the complaints that were hurled at ED in 2001 (e.g. There's no violin! Dave is playing an electric guitar! Lillywhite didn't produce! It's too pop!) aren't relevant in the year 2021--everyone accepts there isn't going to be violin, etc. After the nadir that was SU and the ballad fest that was CT, people would be stoked for rockers like So Right Right, What You Are, Dreams of Our Fathers, etc. Fool To Think's musical complexity would be praised and people would say it was rad to hear Dave playing complicated riffs after CT's simple guitar parts. Mother Father would be lionized and fans would be glad to see Dave writing dark lyrics again after the sanguine lyrics that dominated CT. I think I Did It and The Space Between would also avoid the wrath they received in 2001. Sure, those songs aren't as good as the material that preceded them but they're better than anything on SU and shit like TGIY and Can't Stop.
    This guy gets it.
    __________________
    -Jesse-
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 02:14 AM   #4684
    Xcacel
     
    Xcacel's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2019
    Location: International (Italy)
    Posts: 349

    Shows Seen: 11

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    I agree 100%. The songs on ED don't sound like traditional DMB but they're superior to the majority of the material on SU, CT and AFTW. If ED came out after CT, I think it would have been lauded as a great DMB 3.0 record. A lot of the complaints that were hurled at ED in 2001 (e.g. There's no violin! Dave is playing an electric guitar! Lillywhite didn't produce! It's too pop!) aren't relevant in the year 2021--everyone accepts there isn't going to be violin, etc. After the nadir that was SU and the ballad fest that was CT, people would be stoked for rockers like So Right Right, What You Are, Dreams of Our Fathers, etc. Fool To Think's musical complexity would be praised and people would say it was rad to hear Dave playing complicated riffs after CT's simple guitar parts. Mother Father would be lionized and fans would be glad to see Dave writing dark lyrics again after the sanguine lyrics that dominated CT. I think I Did It and The Space Between would also avoid the wrath they received in 2001. Sure, those songs aren't as good as the material that preceded them but they're better than anything on SU and shit like TGIY and Can't Stop.

    Definitely agree
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 04:11 AM   #4685
    tyler3440
     
    tyler3440's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Location: Mississippi
    Posts: 24,347

    Shows Seen: 15

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 View Post
    I would like to hear the Lovely Ladies perform during a Dave & Tim acoustic set.
    What the fuck
    __________________
    Iím a DMB fan, so my expectations are set pretty low.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 08:01 AM   #4686
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens
     
    haiku.warrior's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2019
    Location: on a road eating alligator pie
    Posts: 1,479

    Shows Seen: 2

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    everything else of AFTW >>>>>>> Mercy
    __________________
    Riverbend 2018, 2019, and 2021.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    fuck the haters, sledgehammer slaps
    haiku.warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 08:18 AM   #4687
    patdeegan
     
    Join Date: Sep 2002
    Location: Maryland
    Posts: 398

    Shows Seen: 17

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Mercy is a strong studio track: well-produced, beautiful ending, as has been said before. But I think it's actually the worst single the band has released - not catchy at all and got ZERO radio play after just a week or two. I'm not saying that radio is always the barometer by which to measure a song's quality, but WWYS, Too Much, even DDTW had some success as singles.... hell, I Did It did very well and is, flaws notwithstanding, a very catchy tune (and I enjoy it fwiw)...

    American Baby... underrated tune, did fairly well on the radio and was a solid way to get people curious/pique about the new record (even if SU sucked). FTWII was a very solid single in terms of returning to the true "full band" sound/somewhat old school sound. I'v always thought DMB dropped the ball in NOT choosing BBN as the lead single instead of Mercy. It's well-produced, MUCH catchier with a strong hook of a chorus, upbeat, and also still has classic DMB components (Boyd solo, strong horns).

    BBN would have performed much better as a single than Mercy, but Dave obviously wanted Mercy as it more.
    __________________
    Don't let the troubles in your head
    take too much time, you'll soon be dead
    So play . . .
    patdeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 08:19 AM   #4688
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands
     
    Cptn. Monkeyman's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2017
    Posts: 4,786

    Shows Seen: 29

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    I've always loved Mercy at a D&T show or Dave solo, and the studio version is good. But I never really got into it full band until this latest Warehouse disc. Why would they bust that amazing shit out one time? Should've been a staple all summer in my opinion.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #4689
    Xcacel
     
    Xcacel's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2019
    Location: International (Italy)
    Posts: 349

    Shows Seen: 11

    Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    What the fuck

    I wonít be the first time having female voices in a Dave & Tim show.
    The performance at Riviera Maya 2020 (02.15.2020) with Sara Watkins, Sarah Jarosz and Aoife O'Donovan (I am with her) may be an example, both The Maker and Ants Marching played that night were sweet and beautiful, and also Dave admitted that ďit couldnít get any better than thatĒ.

    But it he Lovely Ladies have a completely different singing style (more funky) so... I donít know.
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 09:08 AM   #4690
    Xcacel
     
    Xcacel's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2019
    Location: International (Italy)
    Posts: 349

    Shows Seen: 11

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    I've always loved Mercy at a D&T show or Dave solo, and the studio version is good. But I never really got into it full band until this latest Warehouse disc. Why would they bust that amazing shit out one time? Should've been a staple all summer in my opinion.

    Always agree with monkeyman
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #4691
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 39,968

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haiku.warrior View Post
    everything else of AFTW >>>>>>> Mercy

    I completely agree with the complete opposite of this for the most part
    __________________
    "Analytics have had a negative impact on the aesthetic and entertainment value of the game. We need to find a way to get more action in the game, allow players to show their athleticism" - Theo Epstein, 11/17/20
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 10:02 AM   #4692
    Dodo36
     
    Dodo36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Location: Michigan
    Posts: 607

    Shows Seen: 8

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Mercy as a whole is boring AF. I'll take If Only over it any day of the week. Hell, I'd take Angel over it. The musicianship on it is the tits, but the lyrics are just so damn boring. It's one of those that I wouldn't mind only hearing as D&T for the rest of their days. Maybe D&T & Buddy in an E1 spot on rare occasion.
    __________________
    http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/sh...06#post9604706

    Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 10:42 AM   #4693
    Sniper15
     
    Sniper15's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 10,589

    Shows Seen: 103

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    I wonít be the first time having female voices in a Dave & Tim show.
    The performance at Riviera Maya 2020 (02.15.2020) with Sara Watkins, Sarah Jarosz and Aoife O'Donovan (I am with her) may be an example, both The Maker and Ants Marching played that night were sweet and beautiful, and also Dave admitted that ďit couldnít get any better than thatĒ.

    But it he Lovely Ladies have a completely different singing style (more funky) so... I donít know.
    I think it would be awesome too. Acoustic versions of stuff like Long Black Veil and Stay with the ladies would be incredibly unique and badass. I guarantee if the lovely ladies came out at a D&T show the crowd would fucking love that shit and people would be clamoring for a tape to be posted so they could listen to those performances.
    __________________
    Take these chances.....
    Only tomorrow leads my way...
    Sniper15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #4694
    HonestDenver1
     
    Join Date: Jan 2021
    Posts: 335

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dodo36 View Post
    Mercy as a whole is boring AF. I'll take If Only over it any day of the week. Hell, I'd take Angel over it. The musicianship on it is the tits, but the lyrics are just so damn boring. It's one of those that I wouldn't mind only hearing as D&T for the rest of their days. Maybe D&T & Buddy in an E1 spot on rare occasion.
    I think the solo versions Dave has been doing as of late are a better fit for the song. It's a quick 2-3 minute pop song about a serious topic... It's a good enough song, but it's never been a DMB song in my opinion. It's one of those that should have been a single on it's own.

    It doesn't need to turn into a 15 minute jazz interlude...
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 03:39 PM   #4695
    RiotAct
    v Ruined Grey Street v
     
    RiotAct's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2004
    Location: Buffalo
    Posts: 32,300

    Shows Seen: 43

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    I remember staying up to watch the debut of Mercy back in 2012 on whatever dumbfuck late-night talk show it was. Did not exactly put a good taste in my mouth for the rest of the album.
    __________________
    A curse on Conan O'Brien for ruining Grey Street forever!!!

    12.18.2002 - R.I.P. Grey St third verse
    07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 04:29 PM   #4696
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues
     
    Speilmen230's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Denver, CO
    Posts: 28,448

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    I think it was Fallon. I still have that version on my old iTunes library.
    __________________
    -Jesse-
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 04:46 PM   #4697
    two-by-twostep
     
    two-by-twostep's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Posts: 4,058

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
    I remember staying up to watch the debut of Mercy back in 2012 on whatever dumbfuck late-night talk show it was. Did not exactly put a good taste in my mouth for the rest of the album.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    I think it was Fallon. I still have that version on my old iTunes library.
    yes it was. he played it with Captain Kirk too which was cool. if my memory serves, Obama was on that episode as well.

    edit: yes Obama was the guest that night – http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.aspx?id=453057017 also forgot Dave played "walk of shame" with jimmy lol

    Last edited by two-by-twostep; 02-12-2021 at 04:49 PM.
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 10:02 PM   #4698
    coldengrey12
    St. Vincent Forever
     
    coldengrey12's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: Bay Area
    Posts: 37,862

    Shows Seen: 71

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    I think Fallon's best skit with Dave to date is "Dave Matthews Sings Trap Music"
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2021, 10:34 PM   #4699
    eggsrsweet
     
    eggsrsweet's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Posts: 3,244

    Shows Seen: 36

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    I think Fallon's best skit with Dave to date is "Dave Matthews Sings Trap Music"
    Absolutely! Probably because its the most interesting music Dave has played in years

    Full band Gucci Gang would bring the house down.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-13-2021, 12:27 AM   #4700
    Xcacel
     
    Xcacel's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2019
    Location: International (Italy)
    Posts: 349

    Shows Seen: 11

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by two-by-twostep View Post
    yes it was. he played it with Captain Kirk too which was cool. if my memory serves, Obama was on that episode as well.

    edit: yes Obama was the guest that night Ė http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.aspx?id=453057017 also forgot Dave played "walk of shame" with jimmy lol

    It was that

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ujrzv7u-xIA
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #4701
    karczews41
     
    Join Date: Sep 2016
    Posts: 786

    Shows Seen: 1

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    I think Fallon's best skit with Dave to date is "Dave Matthews Sings Trap Music"
    That was pretty fucking epic.
    karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2021, 10:19 AM   #4702
    space_raven
    crawling out the mud
     
    space_raven's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Location: Florida
    Posts: 11,305

    Shows Seen: 14

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    "Baby" (11th track off of Some Devil) is criminally underrated
    __________________
    only one way out of the world

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
    No that's my bad. I am completely fucking murdered hammered. I can barley see the screen. I go eat now.
    space_raven is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2021, 04:51 PM   #4703
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.
     
    RSSR's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Posts: 6,696

    Shows Seen: 9

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    LT46 and '18 Hollywood Bowl are great releases. I enjoy '18 Hollywood Bowl more than I do listening to LT53.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2021, 05:31 PM   #4704
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5
     
    KevinTH's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Posts: 8,177

    Shows Seen: 33

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Did Hollywood Bowl ever go up for sale digitally? I’d really like to hear that and can’t believe I haven’t.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2021, 05:33 PM   #4705
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.
     
    RSSR's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Posts: 6,696

    Shows Seen: 9

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    Did Hollywood Bowl ever go up for sale digitally? Iíd really like to hear that and canít believe I havenít.
    Nope, not yet.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2021, 03:22 PM   #4706
    maythekarma1
     
    maythekarma1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2014
    Location: UK
    Posts: 349

    Shows Seen: 3

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    LT46 and '18 Hollywood Bowl are great releases. I enjoy '18 Hollywood Bowl more than I do listening to LT53.
    The Shake Me on this release is awesome. So is the Squirm. Really cool horn parts on both.
    maythekarma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #4707
    RiotAct
    v Ruined Grey Street v
     
    RiotAct's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2004
    Location: Buffalo
    Posts: 32,300

    Shows Seen: 43

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by space_raven View Post
    "Baby" (11th track off of Some Devil) is criminally underrated
    Some Devil is so awesome. I basically ignored that album when I was getting into DMB, but have listened to it a ton over the last few years.

    Isn't Dave still on the hook for a 2nd solo album?
    __________________
    A curse on Conan O'Brien for ruining Grey Street forever!!!

    12.18.2002 - R.I.P. Grey St third verse
    07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #4708
    grilldanmo
     
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Posts: 4,588

    Shows Seen: 31

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by space_raven View Post
    "Baby" (11th track off of Some Devil) is criminally underrated
    While markedly and clearly different from DMB, Some Devil is as good as any DMB album for us. Just found one of our tickets to the first show from that tour...amazing show.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2021, 03:54 PM   #4709
    Route_2
    Blue-Anony
     
    Route_2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2004
    Location: Seattle
    Posts: 21,525

    Shows Seen: 64
    Send a message via MSN to Route_2

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Would have been dope if Dave had done a solo record like every four years or so.
    __________________
    DMB Full Show Video Link List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Route_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2021, 05:19 PM   #4710
    Dodo36
     
    Dodo36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Location: Michigan
    Posts: 607

    Shows Seen: 8

    Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
    Some Devil is so awesome. I basically ignored that album when I was getting into DMB, but have listened to it a ton over the last few years.

    Isn't Dave still on the hook for a 2nd solo album?
    Probably not at this point. I'd imagine a D&T release (or two) covered that obligation. Contracts with a specified number of albums aren't generally open-ended to just whenever an artist feels like submitting a collection, nor do they span decades.

    I would actually be very interested in knowing the contract history of the band. I vaguely recall one of Butch's sticking points when he left was that because of whatever contract he wasn't going to be considered a full member of the band.

    Far less likely, but Dave could have actually submitted a solo album and for unknown reasons it was never put on the schedule. Stranger things have happened. Bowie, Roger Waters, Prince, George Clinton, Neil Young, Sinatra, Tom Petty, and so on all have turned in albums that were either sat on for longer than was acceptable or just outright never had anything done with. Hell, George Clinton's By Way Of The Drum album was recorded in the late '80s and was flat out forgotten about until going through some archive decades later (and calling it an archive is overly generous).
    __________________
    http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/sh...06#post9604706

    Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram