Expecting/Baby Thread - Page 59 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #1741
Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Expecting/Baby Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbogast View Post
Minivans are the shit. I never thought I’d be a mini van dad. I am proudly now a minivan van dad. We bought a 2015 Sienna XLE right before the new baby was born. What a great decision. Minivans are everything.
I have the same car, 2012 version. Def not the coolest looking car (not that I ever cared about that really), but otherwise it's great. I've got 150K miles on mine, and its still going strong.
Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #1742
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Why?

Because Lee has has horrible opinions on pretty much everything. I also think he touches himself at night.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #1743
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

minivans are great. my family owned a couple when i was growing up, i know all about their practicality. wouldn't be surprised if wife and i end up with one at some point
    Old 02-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #1744
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Why?

Because the clients and their employees would respect me less, so I wouldn't be able to do my job as effective. Pretty simple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    Because Lee has has horrible opinions on pretty much everything. I also think he touches himself at night.
    I had sex with your wife.

Last edited by Lee3691; 02-08-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #1745
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post
    We have a Pacifica. It rocks. I only drive it on trips though.
    It's a beautiful ride, we took the 2018 Touring L-Plus trim for two separate test drives - I loved the way it drove. Loved all the bells and whistles and the individual Blu-ray-compatible 10"+ screens for the two second row passengers with the entertainment/games interface, the way the second row seats folded into the van instead of having to be removed (I think they're the only ones that have second row stow and go), the beautiful panoramic moonroof from almost front to back so cool for moonlit nights, super comfy seats, all the active safety features and fantastic Chrysler dealer incentives.

Ultimately we ended up with the 2015 Odyssey Touring because we couldn't afford new, it was gonna be CDN$44k for the new Chrysler and I didn't want to budge from the entertainment system, the new Honda Touring was CDN$52 and the used 2015 we found was CDN$32 so I took a used vehicle to get most of the higher end options saving over $10k.

I will say, Chrysler absolutely did a great job reinventing their Minivan from the old Town & Country and the awards and accolades they've been receiving are testament to that fact, as well as the only company offering a Hybrid option.

If anyone is in the market for new, do yourself a favor and if you're only considering Toyota and Honda at least test drive the Pacifica. It's held up well in long-haul test drives too over 40,000 miles.
    Old 02-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #1746
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

We test drove the Pacifica - we didnt think it was comfortable at all, but everything else was nice.
    Old 02-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #1747
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    Because the clients and their employees would respect me less, so I wouldn't be able to do my job as effective. Pretty simple.
    Thanks for answering, but not sure why the bolded portion at the end needed to be added.

That whole mindset, while I acknowledge it exists, is so fucking asinine. It's stupid, and juvenile.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #1748
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr. testaverde View Post
    minivans are great. my family owned a couple when i was growing up, i know all about their practicality. wouldn't be surprised if wife and i end up with one at some point
    Yeah, there's nothing at all wrong with minivans. People who judge others based on what they drive are pretty stupid. But it happens and it is what it is.
    Old 02-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #1749
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

I myself do some judging of what people drive. If I saw my lawyer out and about, and he was driving a 96 Focus, that might worry me. I want a the lawyer driving the Benz or Beamer.
    Old 02-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #1750
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

My wife and I are in complete agreement, we will never get a minivan. Nothing says "I've given up all semblance of my former independent life to be ruled by my kids" like a minivan. Nobody buys a minivan without kids. I don't want to resent my kids with the feeling that they have total control over my life the way a minivan would. That's the end of my rant.

I still have a sedan that I've been driving for almost 12 years. I might consider an SUV at some point, maybe.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2019, 12:56 PM   #1751
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I myself do some judging of what people drive. If I saw my lawyer out and about, and he was driving a 96 Focus, that might worry me. I want a the lawyer driving the Benz or Beamer.
    But why? Perhaps they're just frugal. What does it matter?
    Old 02-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #1752
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    My wife and I are in complete agreement, we will never get a minivan. Nothing says "I've given up all semblance of my former independent life to be ruled by my kids" like a minivan. Nobody buys a minivan without kids. I don't want to resent my kids with the feeling that they have total control over my life the way a minivan would. That's the end of my rant.

I still have a sedan that I've been driving for almost 12 years. I might consider an SUV at some point, maybe.
    You understand, as everybody in here with a minivan has already explained, that it has to do with practicality and not "giving up indepence", right?

I mean really people, jeez. I think you may be overthinking it a bit.

Minivans = practicality for families the same way that pickup trucks = practicality for construction workers. It has nothing to do with anything besides that. I'd never ever resent my kids over something I drive.

I mean, I don't resent my kids anyway, but even to go into that thought process is weird to me.
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:03 PM   #1753
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The A-Spec and Advance packages of the new 2019 Acura RDX feature the new ELS Studio 3D Premium audio system, it's designed by legendary surround mixer Elliot Scheiner (ELS) and features 16 speakers including four in the ceiling, with true discrete 5.1 playback from USB (no optical disc).

https://www.acura.com/rdx/modals/acu...m-audio-system
    https://na.panasonic.com/us/trends/w...-new-acura-rdx
    https://www.businessinsider.com/acur...winner-2018-11

As for minivans, I look forward to being able to take 8 of us from the home we stay to SPAC and back each day with Seek Up from Gorge '02 cranked in 5.1 surround on the DVD system. Silver lining!

Also can still fit cornhole boards and coolers behind the third row of seats and still fit 8 people in seat belts.

Last edited by dobyblue; 02-08-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #1754
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

My wife said all that too. Guess what? We have one now.

If you get to the point that your family only fits in either a minivan or an SUV, then the question becomes "Do I want a van, or do I want to pay more money for an SUV that I will probably have to help the kids climb into for a good while?" If your answer is an SUV because you want to hold claim to your former independent life, then enjoy that independence as you lug your kids into an SUV instead of letting them just jump into a van on their own.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #1755
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post

If you get to the point that your family only fits in either a minivan or an SUV, then the question becomes "Do I want a van, or do I want to pay more money for an SUV that I will probably have to help the kids climb into for a good while?" If your answer is an SUV because you want to hold claim to your former independent life, then enjoy that independence as you lug your kids into an SUV instead of letting them just jump into a van on their own.
    This

Crazy train of though.

I mean, I only have two kids so a CRV works perfectly for us and that type of vehicle always will. However, we've taken road trips and rented minivans, and if we had any more kids would probably need to get one and never once have I though, "Man, fuck those kids for making me have to get a minivan!!". If anything it's, "Man, this fucking minivan is tits and so easy to use. I can even press a button from the driver's seat to close the doors!!".

Come on people!!
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #1756
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Never thought I would get one. In fact when I only had one kiddo, I still thought this. We rented one when a car was being repaired after an auto accident, and my wife suggested we get one after that. Minivans are just better vehicles when you have kids, and for road trips in particular.

Quote:
    But why? Perhaps they're just frugal. What does it matter?
    I don't want a frugal lawyer. I want a lawyer that is a winner.
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #1757
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So do I, but I wouldn't equate that with frugality.
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #1758
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

I also had my parents old minivan during undergrad. It's a great vehicle to have in college as well. Never was able to get the puke smell completely out though.
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #1759
    mandy18

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Never thought I would get one. In fact when I only had one kiddo, I still thought this. We rented one when a car was being repaired after an auto accident, and my wife suggested we get one after that. Minivans are just better vehicles when you have kids, and for road trips in particular.

The lawyer can be a winner and just not care to spend a stupid amount on a car. It's not one or the other.
    mandy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #1760
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

I understand. I know lots of people with minivans. However, like I said, the only reason to ever get one is because of kids. It's 100% driven by the kids. My mom had one for essentially my entire childhood. I get it. I had to learn to drive in our minivan. I took my driver's test in our minivan. I drove my friends around in high school in our minivan. If someone gets a minivan, they aren't getting one because they love the look and feel of driving a minivan compared to all other vehicles. They get one because they have kids and that's it. It's not like other vehicles don't work with kids. Why not get a vehicle that you would pick if you didn't have kids that also works with kids? It just feels like there should be a balance between catering to the kids and catering to what you would really want if you didn't have kids. That seems like a reasonable approach to me.

Last edited by Benny003; 02-08-2019 at 01:22 PM.
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #1761
    mandy18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I understand. I know lots of people with minivans. However, like I said, the only reason to ever get one is because of kids. It's 100% driven by the kids. My mom had one for essentially my entire childhood. I get it. I had to learn to drive in our minivan. I took my driver's test in our minivan. I drove my friends around in high school in our minivan. If someone gets a minivan, they aren't getting one because they love the look and feel of driving a minivan compared to all other vehicles. They get one because they have kids and that's it. It's not like other vehicles don't work with kids. Why not get a vehicle that you would pick if you didn't have kids that also works with kids? It just feels like there should be a balance between catering to the kids and catering to what you would really want if you didn't have kids. That seems like a reasonable approach to me.
    There are plenty of SUVs that can haul more people & cargo than a minivan, but not everybody can or wants to spend the money to buy a suburban when they can buy a minivan.

The reasonable approach if you want the space without spending a lot of money is the minivan.

I have 2 kids. We do just fine in a sedan and a smaller suv.
    But, we also get a crazy discount on rental cars, so we just rent a bigger vehicle when we need one.

That did mean we rolled into a concert last year with a rented minivan because we had 6 adults and a ton of tailgating shit. No kids were with us. We get a great discount, but it was still stupid to spend twice as much to rent a bigger suv.
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #1762
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I also had my parents old minivan during undergrad. It's a great vehicle to have in college as well. Never was able to get the puke smell completely out though.
    First car I drove when I got my license was a Plymouth Voyager
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #1763
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So do I, but I wouldn't equate that with frugality.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mandy18 View Post
    The lawyer can be a winner and just not care to spend a stupid amount on a car. It's not one or the other.
    Bingo bango...
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #1764
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'd feel quite relaxed if you or AJ and I were in a legal dispute.
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #1765
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're definitely getting a minivan in about 3-4 years.
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #1766
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    There are plenty of SUVs that can haul more people & cargo than a minivan, but not everybody can or wants to spend the money to buy a suburban when they can buy a minivan.

The reasonable approach if you want the space without spending a lot of money is the minivan.

I have 2 kids. We do just fine in a sedan and a smaller suv.
    But, we also get a crazy discount on rental cars, so we just rent a bigger vehicle when we need one.

That did mean we rolled into a concert last year with a rented minivan because we had 6 adults and a ton of tailgating shit. No kids were with us. We get a great discount, but it was still stupid to spend twice as much to rent a bigger suv.
    If it's to save money, I get it. I won't knock anyone who got a minivan to save money. That makes sense. I'm just saying I won't be getting a minivan and I don't think anyone chooses to buy themselves a minivan except because they have kids. I also don't plan on having more than 2 kids though, so that certainly plays a role. I think 2 kids is doable in typical non-minivan vehicles whether that's a sedan or SUV.
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #1767
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If I felt the need to cater to myself and not my kids, I'd use the money I saved on a minivan instead of an SUV to go on a nice vacation without the kids; I'd get a lot more out of that than I would the thrill of looking way cooler to the other parents and people I don't know in my SUV. I've always viewed cars completely as a practicality to get from point A to point B though - so to each his own.
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #1768
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're definitely getting a minivan in about 3-4 years.
    If I need the space a minivan offers, then I'll get an SUV. SUV's handle our winter weather up here way better than minivans.
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #1769
    mandy18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'd feel quite relaxed if you or AJ and I were in a legal dispute.
    That's cute.
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #1770
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If I need the space a minivan offers, then I'll get an SUV. SUV's handle our winter weather up here way better than minivans.
    Toyota Sienna can come with 4 wheel drive.

Enjoy the last few years of your sedan.