Best Tapers and Tapers Instrumentation - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-25-2021, 03:09 AM   #1
Xcacel
Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Best Tapers and Tapers Instrumentation

I have found a post about best tapes, where many people describe Eric Naylor, Scott Brown and Joe Shambro as some of the best tapers around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl1982 View Post
I'm trying to download some great sounding (sbd, aud, etc.) DMB, Dave solo, and Dave & Tim shows throughout their history. If anyone could supply a list of some recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate it.

So, going a little deeper in that, what are your favorite tapers, and what makes the difference between a good a an average taper? (all the tapers are heroes in my opinion)
• Instrumentation?
• Positioning?
• Post Processing software and Skills?

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-08-2021, 09:43 PM   #2
    comeandsee41

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Best Tapers and Tapers Instrumentation

ian white used to have great pulls back in the day. i would see him at many shows, always set up close to the stage. before the shit show that is GA Pit
    Old 08-19-2021, 06:18 AM   #3
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone has a list of best Eric Naylor tapes?
    (Or even a folder with the tapes wouldn't be bad)
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2021, 06:24 AM   #4
    Drock414
    Drock414

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Naylor had the best tapes. Miss what that i guy used to do. Don't get me wrong, very grateful for all the tapers today but the shows he taped always sounded stellar and close to soundboard.
    Drock414 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2021, 07:26 AM   #5
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I’ve been driving the Eric Naylor bandwagon for 20 years, provided some incredible tapes from arguably the bands best years, and selfishly many east coast shows I attended.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2021, 09:31 AM   #6
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    I’ve been driving the Eric Naylor bandwagon for 20 years, provided some incredible tapes from arguably the bands best years, and selfishly many east coast shows I attended.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drock414 View Post
    Naylor had the best tapes. Miss what that i guy used to do. Don't get me wrong, very grateful for all the tapers today but the shows he taped always sounded stellar and close to soundboard.

I would like to know more about him, starting from the three original question of the post.

Also:
    • Is he a pro?
    • Anybody met the guy in some gigs?
    • What was his last recording? Why he stop doing that?

I think that would a cool subject for an episode of the Corner of Grey Street, one day.
    Old 08-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #7
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Naylors 04 tapes were prob some of the best ever
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2021, 10:09 PM   #8
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Best Tapers and Tapers Instrumentation

I got some clues from here and there on my original question:

Quote:
    What makes the difference between a good a an average taper? (all the tapers are heroes in my opinion)
    • Instrumentation?
    • Positioning?
    • Post Processing software and Skills?
    This is what one of my favorite tapers (Chris Jones) wrote me the other day about why some tapes sound better than other:

Quote:
    I’ve been recording for a long time, and yes, the gear is high end. But it’s more about location and one’s own preference for how to shape the sound.

Location is the most important thing. You can make a good recording even with very basic gear. If you’re an engineer you probably know the inverse square law. The intensity of the sound from the PA (and clarity) falls off dramatically with distance. Downside of being very close is you don’t necessarily get that open, spacious sound of the venue / room. But I prefer being close to the PA for the sake of clarity in the recording. But of course need close seats…
    Some of CJ tapes are excellent (I recommend the Raleigh debut show, for example), sound almost like a radio stream, so I am sure he knows the proper tricks.

This is what willndmb wrote in another thread about the fact that Jeff is down in many mixes at shows:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
    Not sure about this tour but in the past they have done 50/50 splits on the speakers and other yrs they did (example) 75/25.
    50/50 meaning Boyd and Roi where put into each stack equally and the other meaning of you were on Boyd’s side, you got more of his and if on Roi side, more of him.
    So, not paying attention to which stack he was on, that could be part of it too.

I still would like to know more, opinions are much appreciated.

Last edited by Xcacel; 10-02-2021 at 10:13 PM.
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-03-2021, 06:14 AM   #9
    Alexis17

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

"Best taper" makes me uncomfortable, because it's not entirely about skill. It can come down to seat locations - you can't always get tickets exactly where you want them, some venues some height restrictions, if there are 4 tapers at a show often the first tape out is the most downloaded. Sometimes a taper might not be in the spot they want but are the only taper there so a tape that might not normally spread will. Some people who have put out great tapes won't put out a tape if there are better ones coming, so you just assume everything is gold. And also there a lot of tapers that rearrange schedules, spend last second money - often at a premium, just to make sure that there is a tape of that show. and if it's not the sound clarity of say a 2002 Champaign, does that make them a "worse" taper? or does it make them a "best" taper because of what they went through to get us any record of the concert.

Then there are people who have zero experience, were sent gear by friends because no one else was there, got wrecked in the lot, followed instructions from folded up notepad, managed to get an excellent sounding tape. Are they a "better" taper? of course not.

Last edited by Alexis17; 10-03-2021 at 06:15 AM.
    Alexis17 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-03-2021, 06:16 AM   #10
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Not sure what you are digging for, the equipment and location are the two biggest factors...thus this is the info given usually in the taper notes. Obviously if it’s windy, obnoxious people around, etc can diminish the quality of a tape.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-03-2021, 07:33 AM   #11
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexis17 View Post
    "Best taper" makes me uncomfortable, because it's not entirely about skill. It can come down to seat locations - you can't always get tickets exactly where you want them, some venues some height restrictions, if there are 4 tapers at a show often the first tape out is the most downloaded. Sometimes a taper might not be in the spot they want but are the only taper there so a tape that might not normally spread will. Some people who have put out great tapes won't put out a tape if there are better ones coming, so you just assume everything is gold. And also there a lot of tapers that rearrange schedules, spend last second money - often at a premium, just to make sure that there is a tape of that show. and if it's not the sound clarity of say a 2002 Champaign, does that make them a "worse" taper? or does it make them a "best" taper because of what they went through to get us any record of the concert.

Then there are people who have zero experience, were sent gear by friends because no one else was there, got wrecked in the lot, followed instructions from folded up notepad, managed to get an excellent sounding tape. Are they a "better" taper? of course not.

I got your point. There are of circumstances that make a good or bad tape.
    I probably expressed myself improperly in the thread post. I don’t mean to classify in terms of good and bad tapers. Didn’t want to make anyone uncomfortable.
    On the other hand, most of the people agree that some names are usually associated with average extreme quality of the tapes. So, my original question was: what is behind that?
    Also, I would like to understand a bit more of the “source” field in the DT torrents details. Maybe it would allow to understand a bit more of the particular sound of a certain tape.
    Old 10-03-2021, 08:05 AM   #12
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Recently Chris Jones and Michael Peters have been pulling consistently incredible tapes on this tour at least. Chris has a wide variety of gear and is a master in editing shows, which is why Wantagh, Holmdel, Raleigh, etc sound so good from him.

It comes down to location a lot but the gear plays a huge role in it. Sometimes normal tapers like me get lucky with a great pull (Charlotte, or maybe VA Beach) and the rest are middle of the road. The work put in by these great tapers sets them apart.

The taping community seems a lot different now than it was back then... it's actually semi-hard to get everything covered these days whereas you'd see 2-4 tapers at a show in previous years. Now we are struggling to get just 1 at quite a few of these shows.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-09-2021, 06:34 PM   #13
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post
    The taping community seems a lot different now than it was back then... it's actually semi-hard to get everything covered these days whereas you'd see 2-4 tapers at a show in previous years. Now we are struggling to get just 1 at quite a few of these shows.
    Just saw this post by Zachary Semcken: they finally managed to cover all the tour. I think they’ve done a great job

https://images2.imgbox.com/7e/f7/ytSJfsJQ_o.jpeg
    Old 12-09-2021, 07:10 PM   #14
    Sabres914

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    Just saw this post by Zachary Semcken: they finally managed to cover all the tour. I think they’ve done a great job

https://images2.imgbox.com/7e/f7/ytSJfsJQ_o.jpeg
    Noticed this on the Almanac too, that the tour is complete. Stubs, set lists, posters and all. Love it so much.